Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 26th, 2017, 4:45pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29170 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
  legacy_erie_caboose_12-17-07_001.jpg - 29733 Bytes
« Reply #600 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 7:30pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

remember the photo showing the bolts coming through the floor?  today, i was able to get about half of the blind nuts or tee nuts as some call them, installed on the 'a' end.  after the car has been evaluated for balance and suspension movement,  the bolts will be marked, trimmed, and re-installed one last time.  they should be flush with the floor, making not only a better installation, but free the space for other things...perhaps an interior?!  here's a look at them now without trimming.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_12-17-07_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #601 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 10:29pm »

George,

There is'nt a whole lot I have'nt already said about the wonderful rework that you peforming on my old MCC caboose. I never figured it would take on a whole new/old look. Which is great, I might add.

Thank you so much,

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #602 on: Dec 23rd, 2007, 7:06pm »

hi all,

the moose is loose upon the horizon!  Merry Christmas to one and all!  

moose the caboose and a bottle of rum!

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_1-1-07_007.jpg - 46063 Bytes
« Reply #603 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 9:10pm »

hi all,

back from my mexican set-to or siesta or hi-jinks on the high seas (well, 1 1/2 to 4 foot seas most of the time).  i started working on prototyping the step-units and extentions on sunday afternoon.  the extentions push the step-units out to where they should be to give a more proto-typical look.  if you look back at the end view photo of the erie hack i posted earlier, you'll see what i mean.  mcc adopted a look all their own, so it didn't exactly comform with the erie look i wanted for bruce.  the extra work that i've done can still be reversed by a careful craftsman.  here's a view of the extentions and underlying support.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_1-1-07_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_1-1-08_012.jpg - 39216 Bytes
« Reply #604 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 9:27pm »

hi all,

here's the look that i'm going after.  i think it's a bit of improvement over the mcc treatment, especially for the erie.  whadda ya think?  in the future, i'm going to experiment with steel, masonite and styrene plastics to see if i can come up with step-units that are sturdy and easy to assemble.  for now, i'll stay with the 1/4 inch and 3/16 inch slab popular.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_1-1-08_012.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_1-1-08_017.jpg - 39725 Bytes
« Reply #605 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 9:38pm »

hi all,

how do the step-units get built?  it starts with a pile of itty-bitty lumber!  as i said earlier, i cut the pieces out of slab popular using my own templates.   the step-units consist of 2 side frames, 3 steps, and 1 kickplate.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_1-1-08_017.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #606 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 9:38pm »

George,

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! You litteraly are turning the proverbial sow's ear into a silk purse. I can't thank you enough.

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_1-1-08_021.jpg - 45038 Bytes
« Reply #607 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 9:52pm »

hi all,

with the individual pieces cut and sanded, they are ready for assembly.  the kickplate was miter-cut on top and bottom to match the angle of the back of the step-unit.  usually, i use a jig to hold everything together until the glue dries, but these particular units require that filler putty be added to create a more uniform look.  the assembly begins by glueing the two sideframes to the kickplate.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_1-1-08_021.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_1-1-08_016.jpg - 33460 Bytes
« Reply #608 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 10:14pm »

hi all,

bruce:  you are entirely welcome, i'm just sorry that it's taking this long!  i keep finding new ways to improve the look and make it say "i'm an erie caboose!"

to all:  with both side frames in place, it's time to hand-fit the steps into place.  now the fun begins!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_1-1-08_016.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_1-1-08_004.jpg - 33360 Bytes
« Reply #609 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 10:36pm »

hi all,

the step-units weren't the only thing that got some attention today, remember the photo of the 1/4 inch bolts sticking up through the floor?  they're gone!  i did some tinkering with the suspension system today, but cha know, with this car running for so long under bruce's care, i needn't have worried.  i found that i was able to trim and re-install.  due to the holidays, i couldn't get a fresh bottle of threadlocker, so i'll eventually run them out and back in when i get it.  so you old home remedy folks, i've tried using a boiled concoction of sugar and water to create a thin syrup.  when dabbed onto a bolt, it works...but draws ants!  it's funny to watch a colony of ants try to haul away your hardware.  here's the interior tonight.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_1-1-08_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #610 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:04am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Moose, she is looking great but I have one question. Given the amount of labor you have invested into transforming the sow's ear into a silk purse, wouldn't it have been alot easier to have just started from scratch?

Bruce isn't the only one that is anxiously awaiting the unveiling of the finished product.

Bobby

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_1-1-08_006.jpg - 39513 Bytes
« Reply #611 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:10pm »

hi all,

bobby:  to answer your question, yes, it would have been easier to start from scratch.  having said that, you can't replace all the memories generated by this one car.  patrick sky once wrote a tune 'many a mile' that has a hook verse that says 'its many a mile i have been on this road...and many a mile i will go.'  that in itself, describes this railcar and bruce's many journeys with it.  i started this project as a rebuild, it became a rebuild, restore, and enhance project.  this particular caboose is well known in most of the live steam circles, so i had to keep most of the original configuration as part of the restoration.   the rebuilding is also restoring parts of the 'mcc model' that have become damaged or lost.  the enhancement is to bestow additional character of the home railroad as befits bruce's personality.  all of this in addition to the fact that i didn't want to hide the original identity as a mcc railcar.  mcc wooden railcar kits are generally the first commercial stepping stones into the hobby that some of the newbies get.  they put forth a method of construction that is both noteworthy and reliable.  i can't tell you how many times i've gazed upon the work of a live steam gerf and wondered why did they do it that way.  i saw one railcar built as a plywood box without a floor and/or centersill....why?  they had installed wooden bolsters to mount the trucks on and c-channel pockets for the couplers.  what will happen when the car is cut into a train?  there are many ways to build railcars.  my way of doing it is one of the easier ways to get it done without a heavy investment in machinery.  in my mind, having some working knowledge of railroad physics, along with some mechanical ability, and some common sense means that i can build railroad equipment...it's just small, thats all.  there's a lot more to it, but it means that i'm not like some of the lionel folks, running in circles without knowing how or why it happens.

i build new cars all the time, rarely do i have the opportunity to rebuild legacy equipment.  rarer still, do i get the opportunity to do something nice and show my appreciation to one of my mentors...bruce.  rebuilding is sometimes a better way to challenge your skills than building new.  to do a credible job, your skills have to be equal to or better than the original craftsman in order not to stick out like a sore thumb.  

there is a truer model of an erie caboose on the drawing board, and yes, it's bruces'.  i still have other projects that have to be done before i can get to it.  that's why i want to get this one back to him, i will soon need the building space and i think he's starting to miss seeing the erie caboose behind ole 7597!

to all:  there are too many people in the hobby that buy legacy equipment just to part it out for resale or what have you.  too much of our history has been lost that way.  evey piece of equipment has a story to tell, what is yours saying?  would i trash the erie because i could?  as one of our patriots once said, "NUTS!"(not aimed a you, bobby)  what do you folks think?

btw...here's a look at the cupola with its fascia trim in place.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:04am, B+MNW21201 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Moose, she is looking great but I have one question. Given the amount of labor you have invested into transforming the sow's ear into a silk purse, wouldn't it have been alot easier to have just started from scratch?

Bruce isn't the only one that is anxiously awaiting the unveiling of the finished product.

Bobby

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_1-1-08_006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #612 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 7:31pm »

Man, I'm going to have to put that thing in a glass case Geoge. Heh,heh, you know that won't happen. I run way to much and to hard for that to happen!!  

I just hope that some of the folks that drift through here and like to talk about what others have done, take a look at what you are doing with what was a rather plain piece of equipment. That was also beat up to boot.

I'm sure we all, includeing Bobby, he,he,he, will enjoy and appreciate you workmanship when the Erie caboose gets back down to SW Florida. Thanks again George for your attention to detail.

Take care,  

Bruce  

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #613 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 6:36pm »

hi all,

it's been a long week! †i've managed to get back into the swing of things back at work....dang! †work on the erie legacy caboose continues. † in the past week i've gotten all the step-units constructed and as you've seen in prior photos, the platform extensions have been installed. † the step-units still need a little sanding and shaping before they can be primed and painted. †due to their gingerbread nature, they will be one of the last items to be installled.

a couple of days ago, the undercarriage was primed with the hardware installed and today, received it's first coat of black paint. †i've decided not to add an mcc style tool box (a block of wood with a piece of siding on it), but to wait until i could build a couple of metal boxes like those found on the old erie cabs. †more than likely, they will be constructed from brass much the same way as the lanterns for the bobber caboose. †which by the way, will return to the shop once the erie caboose has been returned to bruce-the-smaller. † †as of this afternoon, bruce's windows are in as are the kerosene lanterns for alex's bobber caboose. †i will be experimenting with them to see if i can add a grain-o-rice lamp to make them work...we'll see! †no, really see! †in the next few days, i'll be modifying the windows to fit and get them ready for paint. †i promise that i will take pictures and post them soon.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on Jan 3rd, 2008, 7:31pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

†Man, I'm going to have to put that thing in a glass case Geoge. Heh,heh, you know that won't happen. I run way to much and to hard for that to happen!!  

† I just hope that some of the folks that drift through here and like to talk about what others have done, take a look at what you are doing with what was a rather plain piece of equipment. That was also beat up to boot.

† I'm sure we all, includeing Bobby, he,he,he, will enjoy and appreciate you workmanship when the Erie caboose gets back down to SW Florida. Thanks again George for your attention to detail.

† Take care,  

† Bruce  

†

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2008, 6:38pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_1-12-08_001.jpg - 40648 Bytes
« Reply #614 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 8:55pm »

hi all,

after spending the morning hauling all the dead computers and tvs to a 'secure' disposal site for swmbo, i was finally able to get back into shop.  this weekend was supposed by see the erie in it's first coat of color.  well...it is in a way, i was able to separate the base from the carbody and painted the floor green, albeit a pale green.  while i had the chance and the paint, i painted the interior in a nice warm beize, an almost sand tone.   here's how it looks tonight!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_1-12-08_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_1-12-08_003.jpg - 24062 Bytes
« Reply #615 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 9:19pm »

hi all,

well, maybe the green floor isn't sooooo pale, but once the peel-n-stick linoleum is installed and a few throw rugs put in...it'll be just like home!  aaahhh, maybe not.  what's in store for the future for this interior?  at some point, i'll install some interior lighting (shadow boxes for the windows and doors), but for now, i'll install caboose marker lamps and the control circuitry (that's why the cupola roof is removable).  there's room within the body to handle a full size battery and an inverter if christmas lights are desired.  anyway, here's a closer view of the interior.  the second coat of primer paint of the exterior is still too green to work with so i'll start the doors tomorrow and save the wire-work for a time when the exterior color has been applied and cured.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_1-12-08_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_1-12-08_007.jpg - 62025 Bytes
« Reply #616 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 9:33pm »

hi all,

the step-units are finally...just about finished!  they'll need a little light sanding and another coat of paint then they will be reserved for final installation.  here's how they turned out.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_1-12-08_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #617 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 7:13am »

George, it sure looks great.

I found this article on making modern steel steps, I thought you might find the technique useful for future reference: http://www.shastapacific.com/cabstep.htm

What is you next project?  

Bobby

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #618 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 3:45pm »

Man, it sure is looking good Moose. Canít wait tom see the details but on it like the Marker lights. It sounds pretty neat as to what could happen with the battery. Very impressive

Anthony

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #619 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 7:54pm »

George,

I am humbled by the tremendous improvements you've made to my poor old wooden caboose. Never did I ever expect such wonderful changes. I almost can't remember what it used to look like. Maybe thats a good thing!!

Thankyou my friend, thankyou.

Bruce

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »