Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 25th, 2017, 7:08am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29168 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose
  drovers_caboose_5-7-06_003.jpg - 63055 Bytes
« Reply #60 on: May 8th, 2006, 11:21pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

i've been showing you the bad news.  well, i will replace the controller in this engine, but i'm thinking of taking one of the two series wound dc motors and making a generator out of it.  that combination i hope will go on my next...dare i say it...gasoline/electric engine?  

there was happier news yesterday.  i got a chance to see how the drover's caboose looked in the care of it's new owner.  if you didn't see it being built on the largo thread, i built it and the new owner decaled it.  here's a view of how it looks now.

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/drovers_caboose_5-7-06_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2006, 9:42pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  drovers_caboose_5-7-06_010.jpg - 64730 Bytes
« Reply #61 on: May 8th, 2006, 11:26pm »

hi all,

here's another view.

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/drovers_caboose_5-7-06_010.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  fun_run_7-30-05_and_delivery_of_drovers_caboose_021-2.jpg - 573634 Bytes
« Reply #62 on: May 8th, 2006, 11:32pm »

hi all,

for kicks and grins, here's how it looked when delivered.

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (573634 bytes, 2048x1536 pixels)

Click Here to View Image fun_run_7-30-05_and_delivery_of_drovers_caboose_021-2.jpg - 573634 Bytes

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  drovers_caboose_5-7-06_022.jpg - 82671 Bytes
« Reply #63 on: May 8th, 2006, 11:40pm »

ain't bad work for an old codger, huh!.

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/drovers_caboose_5-7-06_022.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #64 on: May 9th, 2006, 7:12am »

George,

Holy mackeral, those capacitors really let go. Man, I just saw the pictures. What a mess that looks like. Good thing nobody was injured. That had to be on hell of a surprise when that happened. Especially after all the hours she has run.

As useual, beautiful work on the caboose. That is one nice lookin car. BTW, who's trucks are they?
If I live long enough to build the Stillwells, those trucks would look good under them.  

Again George, nice craftsmanship.

Take care,

Bruce

« Last Edit: May 9th, 2006, 7:19am by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
Adam17
Former Member

« Reply #65 on: May 9th, 2006, 10:46am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Nice cabooses!

pockets
Historian

« Reply #66 on: May 9th, 2006, 3:40pm »

Ah knowed it, Ah knowed it, Ah knowed it.....As I looked at the pics, I thought " If Bruce sees those trucks, we're gonna be buildin' Stillwells.....LOL

damnfinejob, George, as usual,
Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #67 on: May 9th, 2006, 10:04pm »

hi guys,

thanks for your comments and support.  londal and new member eric certainly got a wake up call when the controller went!  it's not something i want to experience every day i tell ya!

now about the commissary car...greg, you're right, i'm not sure when to quit on this project!  tonight, i made 2 'chutes' (no holding tanks on this car).  i also made 1 of 2  brackets that attach to the roof fascia boards and support the catwalk boards.  

a lot of the little hardware like door locks and locker handles are waiting to be installed.  i'm beginning to work on the floorboards for the porches so that the steps can finally be installed.  all major painting must be completed before final detailing can be done.  i hate rebuilding small detail parts due to being damaged by handling the carbody so much.  

btw, bruce, the trucks are mcc caboose trucks.  they make two different versions, the express truck is fully operational (sprung, equalized with a floating bolster) and the caboose truck which is just sprung.  from experience (and greg can attest) the caboose trucks track nicely!  they are the same ones shown in the photos of the commissary car.  the truck frames, bolster, and bearing boxes are all aluminum.  i didn't think that i would like that feature, but they ride and look great!

ya know?!  if ya got a set of those trucks...stillwells would be fun!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on May 9th, 2006, 3:40pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ah knowed it, Ah knowed it, Ah knowed it.....As I looked at the pics, I thought " If Bruce sees those trucks, we're gonna be buildin' Stillwells.....LOL

damnfinejob, George, as usual,
Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-10-06_002.jpg - 41152 Bytes
« Reply #68 on: May 10th, 2006, 9:50pm »

hi folks,

i had to wait for the paint to dry in order to install the roof walks.   well, here's how they turned out before being touched up.  one more set of roof planks to be installed, then the whole roof will touched up with final paint.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-10-06_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-10-06_007.jpg - 50760 Bytes
« Reply #69 on: May 10th, 2006, 10:01pm »

hi folks,

here's another view.  if you are wondering about the planking, it's  1x?x? stock ripped to 3/32 of an inch strips.  be sure to use your favorite hardwood, i use poplar because it doesn't split as bad as most of the available softwoods.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-10-06_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-10-06_008.jpg - 67551 Bytes
« Reply #70 on: May 13th, 2006, 2:24pm »

hi folks,

the work progresses a pace.  while i was waiting on the 'paint' to dry, i happen to be thinking about the cars i haven't built for my self.  well, i'm so busy it would have to be something quick and easy.  something i already had supplies for...then it hit me!  something modern, something old, something meek, and something bold...a low-rider caboose!  here's a picture of what i envision!  what do you think?  the only problem i can think of is how to get all the hydrualics onboard to make it hop?

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-10-06_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #71 on: May 13th, 2006, 3:59pm »

This lad has entirely too much time on his hands.....What, no hydraulic lifts?

Greg B.

« Last Edit: May 13th, 2006, 4:01pm by pockets » Logged

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-12-06_006.jpg - 37755 Bytes
« Reply #72 on: May 14th, 2006, 9:37pm »

hi folks,

this thread is all about sharing knowledge.   the work continues on the commissary car...slowly, but steadily.  the first photo is of the top roof tank and about knowledge shared with my by none other than pockets.  i needed a way to show rivets without actually using them.  in the live steam scales, rivets are quite useful and purchased in bulk.  for finer details, they are also over-scale.  for the roof tank, i needed the look of rivets, not the usefulness of them.  

pockets provided a simple and inexpensive method of creating them.  from your junk pile, locate a piece of stranded wire whose individual strands are the size rivets you need.  bore a hole that is a close fit to the wire strand chosen.  then you slip the wire in and nip it close.   with that done, take a small hammer and buck to create your own working rivet!  it works...but only for models that won't be handled that much.  for my purposes, pockets suggested using super-glue to make sure the rivets stay in place.  here's how it looks before painting.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-12-06_006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-12-06_002.jpg - 33430 Bytes
« Reply #73 on: May 14th, 2006, 9:45pm »

hi all,

small detail work takes time, but it is also the most fun to do.  this photo shows more of the plumbing detail going in on the top roof tank.  it's not done yet, but you get the idea.

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-12-06_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-12-06_018.jpg - 43400 Bytes
« Reply #74 on: May 14th, 2006, 9:52pm »

hi all,

this is a photo of how the roof walk end support worked out.  again, it is mounted with pockets' rivets.  once you get into it, it's fun to do!  it's not completely done yet, i still have to do some touch-up painting, but you get the idea.

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-12-06_018.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-16-06_002.jpg - 49173 Bytes
« Reply #75 on: May 16th, 2006, 10:00pm »

hi all,

tonight, i wanted to show you the progress made on the detail for the roof tank.  in one of the photos above, you see it partially constructed.  the photo below is of the work done today.  it's still not in finished paint, but at a point where you could decide to add something else or move on to other details.  on the model you build, it's up to you to decide where you want to stop.  part of the fun for me is coming up with details for parts that don't necessarily exist in this scale.  when parts are seen in an unfinished state, it's easy to tell what they really are.  paint and finish detail work force the eyes to see what the brain wants it to be.  that's movie magic...and the input from friends like you!

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-16-06_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-16-06_003.jpg - 40539 Bytes
« Reply #76 on: May 16th, 2006, 10:08pm »

hi all,

here's another photo of the detail done to the tank.

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-16-06_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #77 on: May 18th, 2006, 10:02am »

Man, those pipes and valves look absolutely great. Nice work, my friend.

Bruce R.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-18-06_006.jpg - 37085 Bytes
« Reply #78 on: May 18th, 2006, 9:20pm »

hi all,

thank you for stopping in and taking a look at the 'salt mine'.  earlier today, i had someone email me offline asking how long it took to do a 1/8th scale model.   good question, how long 'should' it take?  the answer isn't easy, it depends on the individual builder.  a simple box can be done in a weekend...for some, that's just fine.  for me, to build to where i'm happy with it, i figure i'm going to spend between 100 and 200 hours.  with each new model that i build, i want to challenge myself to do something a little different and a little higher in skill value.  that's just me!  

the hours may seem high, but also included is my internet research time.  it can take hours to research and find the right car to build.  as pockets is fond of reminding me, with the right source references and plentiful materials, where is the correct place to stop with the details?  that's the fun of it...and also the dilemma of it.

tonight, more of the almost last minute details are finally in place.  the picture below is of one of the porches receiving the last of the wooden details before final touch-up paint and wire-works are applied.  the endsill mounting screws are in place and have been filled with wood putty.  when it has dried thoroughly, the endsill will be sanded again and final paint applied.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-18-06_006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-18-06_001.jpg - 40884 Bytes
« Reply #79 on: May 18th, 2006, 9:37pm »

hi bruce and all,

thank you for your comments, it is appreciated.  i saved this photo for you.   the ice hatch and detail were mounted tonight.  i may have to build a fleet of reefers.  the static ice hatch was fun to build, but i now know how to build them to actually work.  that pockets guy, now ain't he better than a three-toed-wonder at egging ya on to bigger and better challenges!
thanks pockets!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-18-06_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »