Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 4:53pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29366 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_11-28-07_003.jpg - 56267 Bytes
« Reply #580 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 7:56pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

with  the turkey holiday over, it's back out into the shop again.  in the last photo, you saw how the roofing 'paper' was installed.  in the photo below, here's the look once it was trimmed to fit.  the 'paper' is sawn with a fret-saw, not cut with a knife.  the paper shop towels are too thick to cut that way, tearing results...so do tears when you have to redo it.

also, the internal roof support system for the cupola roof has been installed.  it's time to assemble the roof section and get it covered!

enjoy,

moose the caboose and shay

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_11-28-07_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_11-28-07_001.jpg - 45676 Bytes
« Reply #581 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 8:10pm »

hi all,

some of you may have noticed the additional details being added onto the bottom-side of the 'a' end platform roof.  i'm exporing to use of thinner roofing lumber, something on the order of 1/8th.  that makes this portion the roof a bit flexible.  the additional rib-support helps stiffen the platform portion.  in the photo below, there's a better view of the process.

please note, when you use the paint-n-paper towel 'tar paper' method, the roof paint will need more than 72 hours to completely cure.  that's why i'm using scrap blocks of wood between my clamps and the work.  believe me, it will leave a mark if you don't.  you could just wait for the complete cure, but i'm kindda on a schedule.  gotta keep movin'.

enjoy,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_11-28-07_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2007, 3:02pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #582 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 10:01pm »

George,

Your workmanship is just throwing me right to the floor. I can't believe the improvements that your makeing to that old car. WOW.

Thank you my friend,

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-28-07_013-2.jpg - 59598 Bytes
« Reply #583 on: Nov 30th, 2007, 6:39pm »

hi all,

bruce:  no, i thank you for the many opportunities for learning that you steered my way.  what i do now, is an absolute pleasure!

to all:  every now and then, it pays to stand back and really look at your work.  too many times, we let our egos get in the way of honest thinking and planning.  the erie legacy caboose isn't a unique type of railcar, but in reality, for it's age in this hobby, it is.  the process you've been watching is a hobby restoration/rebuild.  notice that i didn't say museum restoration/rebuild.  there's a difference.  in a museum job, i wouldn't have done any new construction or new type of construction that wasn't in the original build.  in most cases, i would have simply preserved what was already there.  in a hobby restoration/rebuild, the decision process for what must be done, what can be done, and what shouldn't be done aren't so stringent.  in other words, i can add/subtract to/from the original build to enhance functionality, durability, and overall appearance.  so.....i took another look at the caboose today and decided that it really does want to be more like an erie caboose.  even though the level of difficulty went up slightly today, i think it is worth the try.  here's a look at how it was going to be.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-28-07_013-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_end.jpg - 36372 Bytes
« Reply #584 on: Nov 30th, 2007, 7:02pm »

hi all,

in the previous post, i was outlining an aesthetic design change.  the long and short of it is that since my friend bruce is from erie-land, i wanted his caboose to better reflect that which says, "i'm an erie caboose!"  earlier today, i went roaming through my reference collection of cab photos and found what i was looking for...an old erie cab from the 1904 to the 1930's era.  that's the look i wanted to put together for bruce.  here's a cab-end view from the m&njrhs collections to show you what i mean.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_end.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_11-30-07_009.jpg - 47331 Bytes
« Reply #585 on: Nov 30th, 2007, 7:37pm »

hi all,

here's where i'm going with bruce's erie caboose.  it's not an exact model of the erie, but gives a hint of the old 'look' that is missing from most of the equiment in the hobby.   it also creates an individualistic character that more than 90% of the hobby misses out on because they whip out their checkbook for a cookie-cutter model.  what i'm saying is that with a little patience, searching, and time, you can have a model that is in effect, a one-off that started life as a cookie-cutter caboose.

here's a photo of what i did today.  compare it to the 1-to-1 photo and see if you agree that it is worth a try?!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_11-30-07_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_11-30-07_003.jpg - 54563 Bytes
« Reply #586 on: Nov 30th, 2007, 7:55pm »

hi all,

in the photo below, i'm showing how i'm going to install the new work.  this piece actually sits behind and below the roof fascia board.  the roof nestles into it.  not shown in the photo is the additional support that will help keep it in place.  it will also support and be supported by the handrails, ladder, and other wirework.  if i take care, the caboose can be restored to it's prior look by the craftsman that follows me.  as many of us have come to understand, with good stewardship, these railcars really can outlive us and be our gift to the generations of live steamers to come.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_11-30-07_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_11-30-07_005.jpg - 22726 Bytes
« Reply #587 on: Nov 30th, 2007, 8:05pm »

hi all,

here's a better view of how it goes together.  the work could have been done with a  router, but since i have to become a little more intimately acquainted with my fret-saw in a couple of months(please don't ask why, it would be off topic...way off topic!), i decided to use it instead.  everything was cut 'proud' and hand-fitted...about 3 hours work, now i have to do a second one?!

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_11-30-07_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_12-06-07_006.jpg - 54695 Bytes
« Reply #588 on: Dec 6th, 2007, 6:36pm »

hi all,

it's been busy around the house with honey-do repairs, but i did get a chance to get back to the shop for some more work on the 'b' end platform roof.  in a previous picture, i show the new work placed where it will live, but not attached or supported.  in the photo below, the support system is taking shape.  for those who want to keep it simple, you can simply attach the piece to the bottom of the roof section.  i'm adding some complexity to it because i want to permanently attach the ladders and hand railings to it rather than do it the way i've done it in the past.  the piece will get additional support in the corners, but won't show the bulk until the roof section is removed.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_12-06-07_006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_12-06-07_003.jpg - 36182 Bytes
« Reply #589 on: Dec 6th, 2007, 6:42pm »

hi all,

in addition to the 'b' end roof work, i was also able to work on the cupola roof section.  here's a view of it tonight.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_12-06-07_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #590 on: Dec 7th, 2007, 6:53am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Hey, that is starting to look like a caboose!

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_12-07-07_003.jpg - 57996 Bytes
« Reply #591 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 1:39pm »

hi all,

since yesterday afternoon, the erie legacy caboose has undergone some more changes.  i had a chance to create the catwalk roof saddles, so i did!  they are in-place on both the 'a' and 'b' end roofs.  the saddles are placed on 18" centers following prototypical practice, but they could have been placed on 24" centers depending on the railroads' engineering practice.  most people think in terms of current lumber sizes...they're not quite correct.  for instance, the catwalk lumber to them would be either 1x4's or 1x6's or by today's measurements, 3/4x3 1/2's or 3/4x 5 1/2's.  in the lumber industry, product is ordered by 1/4's... even now.  the railroads' for the most part, used 5/4 lumber in places where a man had to walk.  the 4/4 lumber of today wouldn't carry a man's weight for very long without additional support.  that support gets expensive...see where i'm going?

here's a look at how they look with the catwalk lumber just laid on them.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_12-07-07_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_12-07-07_002.jpg - 43670 Bytes
« Reply #592 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 1:45pm »

hi all,

here's a closer view of the work done last night.  the catwalk lumber won't be attached until everything on the roof is primed and painted.  today, the body and undercarriage are being primed for finishing.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_12-07-07_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_12-08-07_003.jpg - 18937 Bytes
« Reply #593 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 10:09pm »

hi all,

tonight, the chassis and the body are back together, semi-permanently.  most of the priming was accomplished today, but will need another coat just prior to color coat.  today was also the day i would find out my hardware needs.  because this was a rebuild/restoration, i used the original under-carriage hardware.  what i have run into was the original expedient, but in-elegant solution for attaching the side-bearing body bolster(2 - 1/4x20tpix2"  carriage bolts per bolster side).  the photo shows my problem (the new bolts are 3" and show up better).  i decided to relieve the bolster holes to receive some blind nuts and then attach the side bearing bolsters with 1/4x20tpi bolts that have been shortened to be flush with the car floor.  on permanent installation, they will receive a light coating of thread-locker to keep them from shaking loose.

enjoy,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_12-08-07_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_12-08-07_005.jpg - 43995 Bytes
« Reply #594 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 10:44pm »

hi all,

today was the day that i also brought the 'a' end up to the level of finish that the 'b' end enjoys.  in this photo, the door opening is being trimmed out to receive the door.  i left the 'a' end until last trying to make up my mind if i wanted to correct a mistake by the original builder...the door wasn't cut square.  for him, that wasn't a problem,  mountain car company as the kit manufacturer recommended that simplicity's sake, that the door be a false-face attached on the inside of the car.  the delimma?  would correcting the mistake cause consternation later on(there's a movement for folk-art type artifacts to preserve the builder's 'personality', er, mistakes).  my decision to proceed with the correction came about because restoring the car to an original state can still be done when all my changes have been removed.  the correction simply takes the doorway to the original dimensions, no more, no less.  what ever the future holds, the car must still provide the owner with functionality and appeal to his tastes.  therefore, it will get functioning doors.

others may not go through these thought processes and just launch into whatever they want to do, but i try think through every change i make to someone else's rollingstock.  there's an old saying that says that no matter how good you are, there's always someone better.  if a builder puts his heart into his work, the work reflects it.  for me, this car should be worthy of it's owner.  that's my goal!

enjoy,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_12-08-07_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_12-08-07_009.jpg - 45998 Bytes
« Reply #595 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 11:02pm »

hi all,

the final photo for tonight.  yes, bobby, it's starting to look more like a caboose!

enjoy,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_12-08-07_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CWilkes
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #596 on: Dec 9th, 2007, 10:28am »

List

Wasn't sure where to put this. I came across this supplier, it applies to this thread. They make some beautiful marker lamps and switch lamps.

www.bryterails.com
Cam

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #597 on: Dec 9th, 2007, 11:00am »

George,

All I can say is "Thankyou". You are sure giveing that poor old car a re-birth.

Cam,

How did you know that I need to install some really,,, REALLY nice marker lamps on this caboose. With the tremendous improvements that George has done, nothing else but high quality lamps would do.

Take care guys,

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_12-17-07_003.jpg - 35298 Bytes
« Reply #598 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 6:32pm »

hi all,

with the holidays drawing on, it's been busy both at work and at home.

bruce:  you are most welcome, but it's i who thank you for your steadfast friendship.  the caboose is an absolute pleasure to work on.

to all: the work continues, the 'a' end is now more complete than the 'b' end.  the 'b' end still needs the external bracing installed.  in handling the new platform extentions, i found that additional bracing was called for, here's how the 'a' end turned out.   this is a new structure that had to be 'prototyped' and definitely not one that i've seen used before in 1 1/2" scale.  the structure adds to the difficulty and delicacy of the model, but aids in bringing it closer to the erie look.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_12-17-07_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_12-17-07_006.jpg - 52867 Bytes
« Reply #599 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 7:16pm »

hi all,

tonight, here's how the erie legacy caboose looks...a little different from when you last saw it.  the catwalks have been added and the whole roofing system given it's first coat of black paint.  the smoke jack is in, but still needs a couple of details.  with the roof, i'm closing in on being semi-completed.  when in final paint, the brassworks will complete the detailed look.  the next piece of construction will be to put final trim fascia around the cupola roof.  what else is still to come?   i've decided to add platform extensions to each side of the caboose to move the steps closer to the edge where they belong, rather than where mcc put them.  the work will be removable in case someone wishes to retro the car back to standard mcc configuration.  from then on, it will be detail work!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_12-17-07_006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »