Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 17th, 2017, 2:29pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29339 times)
B+MNW21201
Former Member
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose

« Reply #560 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 4:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Off Topic......slightly:  

Moose, I know that you are into the steam era cars, have you checked out this web-site?  
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/index.html  
They have some great photo's and info on various steam era cars.
Bobby

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #561 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 4:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

George,

I can't thank you enough for all the great work you are doing on my poor old ERIE caboose. Its going to be a LOT better than it started out when new. It never did have that nice of a roof!  

Thanks again,

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-016-07_005.jpg - 61279 Bytes
« Reply #562 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 7:53pm »

hi all,

after several weeks of some highs and some lows(i lost almost 119 gig worth of information when my data drive crashed...oh well), i'm back in the shop again.  working on a caboose is the one constant that keeps me smiling(not to mention you folks).

here's a pic of the work done so far.  yes, the legend boards are going on!

enjoy,  

moose the caboose and shay

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-016-07_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-016-07_004.jpg - 58709 Bytes
« Reply #563 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 7:57pm »

hi all,

i had an offline question of why i put all those clamps on the end of the roof.  here's a pic of what they were asking about.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-016-07_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-016-07_009.jpg - 51738 Bytes
« Reply #564 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 8:06pm »

hi all,

the answer to the question is that since i started using thinner roofing materials, i use fewer metal fasteners to hold them in place.  in fact, i wouldn't use any if i could do without them.  the roof lumber is edge-glued to each other as well as the support system below.  the clamps are there to hold them in registration until the glue dries.  the brads as seen in the upper part of the photo are acting as clamps to hold averything down to the support system.  here's a picture of the end of the process.

enjoy,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-016-07_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-22-07_002.jpg - 53597 Bytes
« Reply #565 on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:54pm »

hi all,

work has continued on the erie legacy caboose.  here's a better picture of how the legend boards clean up the erie's look.

enjoy,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-22-07_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-22-07_003.jpg - 50699 Bytes
« Reply #566 on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 5:59pm »

hi all,

here's a look at the 'b' end.  the platform fascia board and supports are next.  it's coming together!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-22-07_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #567 on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 6:18pm »

Looking good moose. Can't wait to see it when it's done.
KB3PQD signing out

www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #568 on: Oct 25th, 2007, 5:22pm »

hi all,

my home took a lightning strike on tuesday, no one hurt, but have set about replacing damaged equipment.  lost my communications modem, part of the irritation system(yes, i know it's irrigation), a dvr, and a brad nailer.  compared to some, not that bad, just irksome.  

i will be back working in the shop tomorrow!

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #569 on: Oct 26th, 2007, 5:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

George, I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. But the fact you are OK and the house is still standing is enough to be thankful for. As they say, it coulda been worse.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-28-07_013.jpg - 59598 Bytes
« Reply #570 on: Oct 28th, 2007, 8:08pm »

hi all,

bobby: thank you for your kind words, and thank you to all who responded privately.   compared to the losses of our friends and neighbors in south florida a couple of years ago and those of the west coast, the damage to my home was minor.  yes, it could have been much worse, but i'm thankful for the many blessings i've been given.

speaking of blessings, with the replacement of the brad-nailer, the erie legacy caboose got some work done on it today!  the 'b' end roof was completed along with receiving the legend boards and roof-end fascia.  here's how it looks tonight.

enjoy,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-28-07_013.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-28-07_008.jpg - 55210 Bytes
« Reply #571 on: Oct 28th, 2007, 8:25pm »

hi all,

here's a look at one of the processes to get to the semi-finished look above.  in this photo, i've decided to add some more support to the legend boards that become part of the platform roof structure.  well in the 1-to-1 world it would, but because i'm building a removal roof the legend boards that remain are fragile.  my partial solution is to thicken the legend board beyond the end of the carbody.  my other problem was to find ways to hide the roof supports that hold the portion of the roof extending beyond carbody.  the roof-end fascia board 'notches' into the legend board hiding the true thickness.

the ideal solution as suggested by pockets would be to convert all my legend boards to steel...because they would then make convenient carry handles!  i guess i'll be investing in alot of walther's goo.

enjoy,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-28-07_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-28-07_003.jpg - 45099 Bytes
« Reply #572 on: Oct 28th, 2007, 8:43pm »

hi all,

i was also able to get quite a bit of the cupola roof support cut out and fitted today.  in the past, i've done both removable and fixed roofs, but i've not been totally pleased with fact that weather effects the support elements of the first removable roof system i built.  on another project, i built a system that so far has held up well to weather changes.  doesn't sound familiar?  unless well sealed, wood changes dimensions with the amount of humidity (moisture) available.  sometimes, even with superior sealing, you just can't win!  once wood changes, it doesn't want to return to it's prior form.  rather than create a more complicated shape, i'm trying for a basic shape...one that doesn't change as drastically.  in the photo below, i'm installing one of the two blocks of wood that the roof supports will rest on.  later on this week, i'm make two saddles that will be glued between the window openings  to hold the entire system in registration.

enjoy,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-28-07_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-28-07_006.jpg - 44367 Bytes
« Reply #573 on: Oct 28th, 2007, 8:48pm »

hi all,

here's view of both blocks in place.

more on this later in the week!

enjoy,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-28-07_006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #574 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 11:06pm »

on Oct 4th, 2007, 4:18pm, B+MNW21201 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Off Topic......slightly:  

Moose, I know that you are into the steam era cars, have you checked out this web-site?  
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/index.html  
They have some great photo's and info on various steam era cars.
Bobby

Bobby, this is a great site!  Thanks for sharing.  A couple more that Moose may be interested in, is the 1903 Carbuilders Cyclopedia on google books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=nnwkAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA1&dq=car+builders+cyclopedia#PPP1,M1

Also the 1879 Carbuilders Dictionary:

http://books.google.com/books?id=jBZsGubsg2EC&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=1879+carbuilder+dictionary&source=web&ots=h_HnGhu7BO&sig=R-_Zu6bEMI20jVHlobsVLMGIVAo

Both are available as a free download.  Lots of photos, plans, terminology and car details.
Dan Watson

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #575 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 9:55am »

George,

Sorry for not catching up with you lately. Something that went through my mind recently. I don't know if we ever mentioned the age of that caboose of mine. I know I purchased it from the second owner that I knew about. And that was like 1992 or so. It probably is about twenty five plus years old. And as has been mentioned, the trucks are even older.

Thanks so much for the very nice rebuilding job that you are accomplishing with this very time worn piece of equipment.

Take care,  

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_11-20-07_002.jpg - 44117 Bytes
« Reply #576 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 1:35pm »

hi all,

with all the recent doings, i haven't been able to get much done.  my apologies to recent posters like bruce, dan, anthony, and ray for not acknowledging your posts.  thank you for sticking with me!  life gets in the way sometimes...at times pleasant (my trip to l.a. to visit pockets and swmbo was certainly a highlight) and at times unpleasant(a lightning strike).  usually on 'nightshift' i don't get alot of time in the shop, but for a quirk in scheduling, i'm home for part of the day...so.  on the 'a' end roof, i finally got the fascia boards fitted and glued in.  here's a look...sorry, all i got were the clamps?!  i will get a better view of it tomorrow.

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_11-20-07_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2007, 1:36pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_11-20-07_001.jpg - 42544 Bytes
« Reply #577 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 1:47pm »

hi all,

today marked the beginning of the detailing work on the erie caboose.  while there is still several items of structural construction left (doors, cupola roof, steel endsills, and some under-body details), i'm getting to the point where getting the body primed and painted is becoming an important next step.  as each roof section is completed, i can now install the 'tar paper'.

here's a look and clue about how i do it!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_11-20-07_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #578 on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 11:22am »

hi all,

thanksgiving day is upon us!  other than railroading, railcar building, and cruising, my favorite activity is sharing with family and friends.  on this day of thanksgiving, i'm not only reminded of having a great bunch of folks gather round for dinner today, but also the many friends here on railfan.  happy thanksgiving everybody!

hey bruce and greg, i wish you guys were here to help me stuff a cornish hen into a duck, then a goose, and finally the turkey!  boy, am i going to be tired! my best thoughts and wishes to each of you.

george - moose the caboose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #579 on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 1:26pm »

Thanks, George. The best to you and yours, on this day. Bruce is traveling and My wish is that he have a safe and happy holiday. I'll have a piece of that duck and a slice of that goose... Oh, and some of those candied yams.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »