Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 3:25pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29390 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
  erie_caboose_9-9-07_008.jpg - 35212 Bytes
« Reply #540 on: Sep 9th, 2007, 8:05pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

it's been a number of days since i last posted here.  between spending time at the bcrr for my friend ben's memorial service and changing shifts at work, time in the shop grows dear.  work on the legacy erie continues, but will slow down for a couple of weeks.  those who know me, know that at any one time, i've several projects going throughout the year.  the legacy erie caboose rests on a set of trucks that are legend in the live steam community here in florida.  there was no chance or reason to change that particular circumstance.   the new erie caboose, the ic caboose, and a caboose project for a private individual will all use archbar trucks that i will fabricate.  

as indicated, the trucks fabricated by live steam pioneer stan parker (please correct me if i got the name wrong) of the link-n-pin railroad have been in use for more than 20 something years.  harkening back to the early days of railroading, many of the old railroad bearing blocks were made of the hardwoods local to what ever area the railroad worked.  it is the same technology used in making wagon axles and wheels.   metals weren't used until speeds and loadings required a more substantial method.

in fabricating his trucks, mr parker made some modern improvements to the basic design.  he added bronze sleeve bearings to the wood block to keep the wear and tear of the steel axle from eating into the wooden journal box.  if you look back at the photos of the journal boxes, you'll find one very important feature...the oiling port on top of the journal box.  there's a saying in the live steam hobby, if it moves, lube it!  for this type of truck with this particular construction method it is doubly important.  both bruce r and mike k (mike k has multiple sets of these trucks) are to be commended for keeping those little easily forgotten detail in the forefront( i got greasy everytime i had to touch the trucks).  whether your journal box is wood without the sleeve or with the sleeve, failure to properly maintain them leads to abrupt failure...think of all the murphy's laws that apply!

for the upcoming projects, i'd prefer to use metal castings with steel bearings, but i haven't found a casting that i like yet.  so, for now, i'm experimenting with wood.  here's a view of what an hours' worth of time on my hands turned out today.  believe me, i'll turn out many more before i'm happy with them!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_caboose_9-9-07_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #541 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 3:58pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

George, that journal box looks like it would make a great mold to cast some steel ones. Let me know if you decide to cast some, I just might be in the market for some.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #542 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 4:49pm »

George,

Might I make a suggestion. Use some kind of bronz or as I like to do for rotateing shafts, "oil-lite" bushings imbedded in those beautiful wooden jounal boxes. Steel on steel is not a good thing to do. Only MHO based on being an old time mechanic for all of my working career.

BTW, the "floor" of the old Erie caboose looks great. Along with the rest of the project. Thanks again.

Take care,  

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #543 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 7:53pm »

hi all,

i'm in the middle of making more 'lumber' for the legacy erie roof...not much to see there.  the project will resume shortly.

i'm also trying to find some 16 quarter rock maple to make some more experiment journal boxes and perhaps a pattern for a mold.  who knows, i may learn how to cast metals eventually!  stay tuned!

moose the caboose

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_9-18-07_002.jpg - 61726 Bytes
« Reply #544 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 8:42pm »

hi all,

got a chance to make just about all the sawdust i needed!  here's how it looked earlier today.  the bruce caboose is about to get a roofs...er, roof.  dang, that almost rhymes?!  i know, just build the darn things.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_9-18-07_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_9-18-07_005.jpg - 45432 Bytes
« Reply #545 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 8:46pm »

hi all,

here's a closer view.  the roof still needs longitudinal support and final fitting before roofing begins.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_9-18-07_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_9-18-07_011.jpg - 49989 Bytes
« Reply #546 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 8:50pm »

hi all,

speaking of roofing, i got that cut today too!  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_9-18-07_011.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #547 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 9:10pm »

Amazing, isn't it? From kindling to caboose in 397 easy steps!!

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2007, 9:11pm by pockets » Logged

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #548 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 10:52pm »

Don't say that too loud or Bruce will try to steam up his Atlantic with it.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #549 on: Sep 29th, 2007, 7:26pm »

hi all,

the thick-n-thin lumber company has been busy again. †just about all the roofing lumber has been cut to size and the longitudinal supports have been shaped. †i will be doing the final fitting for them tomorrow. †with any luck, i'll be gluing in the supports and start laying in the roof lumber. †i still have some roof hardware that i have to pickup and install, but that will come in the next few days.

moose the caboose and shay

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2007, 7:26pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_cabooset_9-30-07_001.jpg - 60703 Bytes
« Reply #550 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 8:08pm »

hi all,

even with all the home repairs, i was able to start the fitting up of the roof supports.  here's how it began:

enjoy,

moose the caboose and shay-like loco

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_cabooset_9-30-07_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_cabooset_9-30-07_006.jpg - 64385 Bytes
« Reply #551 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 8:27pm »

okay, so the last photo wasn't clear about what was going on. †in the photo below, you can start to see the 2 outer longitudinal supports held by to the clamps. †the roof support frame needs to be strong, but light...heaven forbid anybody 'accidently' sitting on the roof. †know this, it will happen! †the trick is to build the roof strong enough to handle more than 60% of the load before major damage is done. †there are cars built to ride on or in, but where the detailing is a finer quality, people and details don't generally mix. †there are far too many people handling our cars that don't know how to do it properly. †if you are going to assist in the unloading/loading or even re-railing, ask the owner about safe handling of their equipment. †it will save anger and frustration on their part, embarrassment and an expensive hit on your wallet! † there's an unwritten rule in the hobby...if you break it, then you repair it, you buy it, or you replace it.

forewarned is forearmed! †your attention to safe handling of the equipment of others has it's reward as well. †you'll earn the privilege of its use!

enjoy,

moose the caboose and shay-like loco

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_cabooset_9-30-07_006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2007, 8:29pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_cabooset_9-30-07_015.jpg - 52653 Bytes
« Reply #552 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 8:35pm »

hi all,

this photo should clarify the earlier pictures.  the outer support has set so that one of the inner supports can be installed.  see the photo below:

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_cabooset_9-30-07_015.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_cabooset_9-30-07_011.jpg - 49311 Bytes
« Reply #553 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 8:40pm »

hi all,

while the glue had a chance to set on the front roof supports, i started working on the rear 'b' end supports.  take a look!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_cabooset_9-30-07_011.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-02-07_001.jpg - 52826 Bytes
« Reply #554 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 6:32pm »

hi all,

work on the erie caboose continues!  not as fast as i'd like, but after all, this is a hobby.  i'm lucky that i don't have to follow a set of plans or have to hammer out an assembly line full of these cars.  all i have to do is follow what i've built in my mind's eye.  i'm proof that if i can do it, any darn fool can have at it!  

here's how it looks tonight!  the outer (wider) roofing lumber overlays the ledger-board and the car siding with enough material to still have some strength to attach to the roof supports.  just about all my woodworking projects are glued together with minimum of metal fasteners.  in the case of the roof, i'm using 5/8 brads as clamps to hold the assembly together until the glue sets.  rather than pull them, they are driven into the roof assembly until flush.  storm gathering outside, so i will post more when it has passed.

enjoy,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-02-07_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-02-07_009.jpg - 50813 Bytes
« Reply #555 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 4:47pm »

hi all,

okay, so the storm lasted longer than i did.  working an early shift requires certain sacrifices.  anyway, here's some more of what was done the other day.  on the last couple of projects, i started exploring ways to anchor the roof sections to keep them from getting lost in a stiff breeze or popping up due to a bad rail joint.  in talking to guys like bruce r and pockets, i was reminded of the use of blind nuts.  an essentially flat threaded fastening device that allows you to use bolt and nut in situations where there's not enough space for a nut.  in the case of the legacy erie caboose, the blind nut is next to the roof section while the bolt feeds through the cupola section and part of the roof section.  when the roof section slides over the bolt, that section is held firm.  the forward part of the roof section then wedges behind the caboose end wall.  i still need to fasten that particular end, but more on that later.

here's a close-up photo of the blind nut installed on the 'b' end cupola section.

enjoy,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-02-07_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-02-07_008.jpg - 62563 Bytes
« Reply #556 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 4:53pm »

hi all,

now that you know what to look for, here's a photo with a broader perspective of how the system is mounted.

enjoy,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-02-07_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-02-07_013.jpg - 50823 Bytes
« Reply #557 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 5:00pm »

hi all,

one more photo before i go back out to the shop.  i like prototyping and fabricating, so before even one drop of glue is applied, the whole assembly is tested for proper fit.  it is easier to fix a problem before assembly than after!  here's a photo of the 'b' end roof support prior to assembly.  more soon!

enjoy,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_caboose_10-02-07_013.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #558 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 6:05pm »

It is looking good moose. You have been making some great progress. Canít wait to see the finished product.

Anthony

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #559 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 7:03pm »

George , the erie cab is really  coming back to life under your care. I'm learning a bunch watching and reading this thread, thanks for sharing your progress.  Ray III

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »