Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 1:58am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29285 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
  legacy_erie_caboose_8-26-07_009.jpg - 61254 Bytes
« Reply #520 on: Aug 27th, 2007, 6:55pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

the damage to the erie caboose that bruce and i have been talking about (done by the kit-kabashing passenger car) was quite extensive.  a good solid repair was made either at or sometime later, but there was enough fiber damage done that a complete repair wasn't possible.  in the photo below you will notice in the lower right side quarter (where all the clamps are) is where the passenger car made it's entry.  in order to make things a little better, i had to surgically remove both the older repair and enough of the errant wood fiber  to allow the wood plies to relax and lay flat.  keeping in mind that this is a rebuild/restoration, i've left a little bump in the wall to keep some precious memories alive.  here's the over all view.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on Aug 19th, 2007, 7:24pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

George,

First of all, not to emmbarras you, but I want all here to know how much I appreciate you taking on this project for me.  

Secondly, as with so much of my "stuff" there is a story. That I hope will put a smile on a face or two. And here it is.

As can be seen in the photo of the rear end of my Erie caboose, the back wall next to the door is slightly ascue from the other side. Here is how this happened.
Our dear departed friend/live steamer Ben Schneider has three of his passenger cars with him at a very nice but steeply graded track in N. Carolina. I also was there with me, Erie 7597, a few of my freight cars, includeing the Erie caboose.

At some point in the four day visit, Ben made the suggestion that we tie the passenger cars behind my freight train. For a heavy train and make 7597 really talk on some of the grades. I agreed and made up the train in the yard. And off we went.
Smoke boiling out of the stack of Erie Atlantic, and the cars rumbling along behind.
Ben was rideing in my John Cassady gon about two cars ahead of the caboose so he could enjoy the ride.

Up this hill and down that one we went, engine talking up a storm, me shoveling coal to beat the band. All of a sudden, as we rounded a curve with a number of switches in it, I could hear boom, bank, crunch, and Ben yelling "Bruce we're on the ground".

OK, we stop. At first nothing looked too bad. Then I notice the front coupler of Ben's lead coach punched squarely through the back wall of my caboose. The door was just hanging there, the railings were like pretzels. And the passenger car was jammed tight into the caboose wood work.  

After some work and a few choice words, we extricated the heavy passenger car from the back end of my humble caboose, checked everything for tracking, recoupled and went on our way. The damn thing never came off again. To this day, I don't know why that passenger car found it's way, up on and close to inside my poor old Erie caboose. Well, that is how that back wall got slid in "cattywampus" to the wall on the other side of the door.

George, now you know the whole story.

Take care,  

Bruce

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_8-26-07_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_8-26-07_011.jpg - 56789 Bytes
« Reply #521 on: Aug 27th, 2007, 7:05pm »

hi all,

here's a close up of the current repair.  when the glue has completely cured, i'll go back over it to fill, seal, and shape any depressions or irregularities.  it won't be obvious to the curious bystander, but enough for those in the know to recognize and remember.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_8-26-07_011.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_8-29-07_001.jpg - 57795 Bytes
« Reply #522 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 7:06pm »

hi all,

today was a busy day in the shop!  the other day, i found damage to the foundation board in several places.  as of today, the damage has been repaired.  the foundation board is 1/2" plywood, some are 3 ply, many are 4 ply, and the best can 5 ply or more.  in the case of the legacy erie, the kit was supplied with 4 ply.  considering that each ply is 1/8" thick, the damage was through 1 1/2 plies.  the damage may have started with a wreck, but was finished by moisture cracking.  this is why sealing the wood from humidity is very important.  cosmetically, i've fixed the splits with filler, but that won't keep the foundation board from warping in the future.  at the moment, i'm looking at the combination of creating cross-members and additional sealing methods (epoxy or polyester paint-on surfacing).  

here's a look at the beginning of the repair.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_8-29-07_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_8-29-07_002.jpg - 47505 Bytes
« Reply #523 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 7:13pm »

hi all,

here's a closer view of the cosmetic repair.  while the complete repair method is sorted out, work will continue in other areas.  the 'a' and 'b' ends have been under repair and will soon rejoin the rest of the caboose parts.  at that point, i can re-assemble and get it ready for priming.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_8-29-07_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #524 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 7:25pm »

Moosemeister,
There are two (at least) approaches to this warpage issue.By making the carbody and floor an integral unit, you creat a monocoque style torque box. This means a hyper-ridgid construction, wherein the mechanical fasteners are only for clamping and alignment until the adhesive sets. The other approach is to look to the prototype.  Deep longitudinal stringers, locked ridgidly (welded) together with body bolsters and end sills. The floor is then (with crossed fingers) sanwiched between the under frame and the car body. In any case, seal those edges....

Iknow, I know.... "Pockets, sit down and shut up "

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_8-29-07_008.jpg - 60159 Bytes
« Reply #525 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 7:11pm »

hi all,

the legacy erie is being re-assembled!  so far, the 'a' and 'b' cupola ends along with the 'a' end has been glued in place.  the 'b' end required a tad more repair work, but it will be ready tomorrow.  it's laying at the end of the 'b' end.  here's how it looks.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_8-29-07_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_8-29-07_009.jpg - 63328 Bytes
« Reply #526 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 7:15pm »

hi all,

here's a better side view of the works in progress.  on the 'a' end, the clamps are needed to ensure a nice, close fit between the end and the sides.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_8-29-07_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_8-29-07_017.jpg - 43231 Bytes
« Reply #527 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 7:19pm »

hi all,

finally today, i got a chance to modify one to the window units to fit in the cutouts.

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_8-29-07_017.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_8-29-07_023.jpg - 48566 Bytes
« Reply #528 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 7:23pm »

hi all,  

this last photo may give you a better idea of how the window units will complete the new look.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_8-29-07_023.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_8-18-07_002.jpg - 51871 Bytes
« Reply #529 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 7:26pm »

hi all,

lets do a comparison.  from this....

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_8-18-07_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_8-29-07_023-2.jpg - 48566 Bytes
« Reply #530 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 7:29pm »

hi all,

to this....what do you think?  is the window modification worth the trouble?  i think so!  what's your take?

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_8-29-07_023-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #531 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 7:53am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Wow, what a difference. That is looking really nice.  Moose, where do you get those windows from?
Bobby

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #532 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 8:17am »

WOW ! That's looking so awsome. A little paint spots but that's nothing. Can't wait untill you get it done.

KB3PQD signing out

www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #533 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 11:23am »

George, great stuff.  it's nice to see the erie cab getting a facelift.  the new windows look fantastic , it's amazing how a window can change the look of something  that much.  This is a great thread, I have learned alot about wood car construction. keep it coming .  Ray III

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #534 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 1:31pm »

Holy cow, George,

Your gonna make that thing so pretty, I'm going to be afraid to run it. It sure looks good!! Thankyou so much for all the workmanship your putting into that old car.

Take care,  

Bruce

ps
  Glad you enjoyed yet another Ben story.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #535 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 4:10pm »

hi all,

bruce r -  you are most welcome, but it is i who should be thanking you for sticking with me and helping to guide my journey in live steam.  there's one question i'm dying to know...do you like bright red or tuscan red?  the erie apparently used any kind of paint they could get their hands on, so the choice is yours!?  btw, pockets and i have kicked around the idea of creating a plastic cover for your caboose...just like mom had over the sofa in the livingroom!

to all - thank you for your comments and confidence, i really appreciate it.  the legacy erie caboose continues to be one of my favorite projects...why?  because it is a rebuild/restoration, i am both confined and unleashed to do what is right by the car.  while i've done other types of restorations (hot rods, boats, ect), this is the first railcar that i've worked on that wasn't built by me.  mcc designed simple, utilitarian, and rugged construction system that happens to produce cabeese rather nicely.  it is also a great place to start and build from.  with imagination, some education, a little bit of skill, and a tad bit of confidence, you can parlay the mcc system into anything you want.  is it the only way to build railcars? no! as my skills increase, you will see me change my techniques to produce models that are closer to scale look and technique than i've done in the past.  education is an important asset in my bag of tools.  there's a little used thread on this board about education.  i posted in it once or twice, but as much as i may sound like i'm preaching live steam, i'm a little more comfortable being in information retrieval mode.  for good or bad, i depend on you folks to be curious enough to ask questions.  

bobby t -  you question is a good example.  the education thread should also lead you to source materials, machinery guides, as well as prototypical railroad information and the like.  to answer your question about the windows, they are dollhouse windows.  i buy my stocks online with a supplyhouse in atlanta georgia.  on the wm caboose project, i learned to disassemble, modify, and reassemble them to the dimensions i chose.  a little experimentation and a few mistakes can teach you a lot!

many thanks to all who responded, now it's time to get back out into the shop.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on Aug 30th, 2007, 1:31pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Holy cow, George,

Your gonna make that thing so pretty, I'm going to be afraid to run it. It sure looks good!! Thankyou so much for all the workmanship your putting into that old car.

Take care,  

Bruce

ps
  Glad you enjoyed yet another Ben story.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #536 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 5:34pm »

Bruce,
George was good naturedly whining about the two, very prototypical, stripes up the ends of the car. Someone suggested a plastic cover, like mom kept on the new couch and only came off for "company".Someone else suggested that ol' 7597 might make good use of an RV style, full width mud flap (with blue dots, of course

This all transpired with our tongues firmly in our cheeks!!

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2007, 5:37pm by pockets » Logged

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_9-1-07_004.jpg - 52466 Bytes
« Reply #537 on: Sep 1st, 2007, 6:36pm »

hi all,

it's been busy in the shop!  yesterday, i was able to get the 'b' end door framed out and study the undercarriage.  i wanted to stiffen it a little, but do so unabtrusively.  the way to keep the edges from curling was to install stiffening battens (sorry, i know that's a theater term, but i'm tired) on scale 4' centers (lateral floor supports).  this won't do the job over the total 13" of the floor width, but it will help when combined with the stiffness that the body will add.

i was able to complete this segment of the work today, here's how it looks.  what do you think?

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_9-1-07_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_9-1-07_010.jpg - 58865 Bytes
« Reply #538 on: Sep 1st, 2007, 6:43pm »

hi all,

as i mentioned before, the 'b' end repairs have been completed and it was installed today.  here's a look at it.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_9-1-07_010.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  legacy_erie_caboose_9-1-07_019.jpg - 56787 Bytes
« Reply #539 on: Sep 1st, 2007, 6:59pm »

hi all,

last but certainly not least, i was able to prototype the endsill for those handy metal-type guys down at the bcrr to turn into steel.  i've needed to complete this segment of the rebuild for a couple of months...except that i've only been working on this project for a few weeks.  on monday, bruce r will have this in his hands to follow, modify or throw at me...lololo!

seriously, while trying to appear prototypical, the endsill must remain strong and capable of handling some very unprototypical eye-bolts for the safety chains.  i still need to indicate where the eye-bolts, hand-railings, and ladder go, but here's kind of a clamp-cluttered look at it now.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/legacy_erie_caboose_9-1-07_019.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »