Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 1:25pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29090 times)
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose

« Reply #480 on: Jul 21st, 2007, 12:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi Moose,

Been watching the weather patterns in your neck of the words and am somewhat concerned. Have some friends of the family also in central Florida, west coast, and they are not in good shape. How are things working out for you and your's. In the meantime, take care, best of luck and keep us informed.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
TAB
Historian
  OE_plywood_caboose.jpg - 23733 Bytes
« Reply #481 on: Jul 22nd, 2007, 9:47am »

Hey Moose…I found this photo in my stack of stuff. It is a plywood caboose. It dates from the late 1950s to early 1960s. Although this is 1:1 scale it reminded me of your work. The picture was taken at the Elizabeth Port Shops of the Jersey Central Lines …Tom

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/OE_plywood_caboose.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2007, 9:49am by TAB » Logged

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #482 on: Jul 22nd, 2007, 9:59am »

hi all,

pennsy:  you are right to be concerned.  the storms that are occuring now don't have strong steering currents aloft.  that makes them almost stationary...and dangerous to a specific locale over a longer period of time.  usually, we get fast moving storms on the boundaries of both the eastern and western seabreezes.  they produce lots of rain, lots of lightning, but are moving fast enough that the area might be as wide as the state (on average, 90 miles).  where do the storms generally rain themselves out?  follow the interstates my friend!  as our storm season progresses, keep all of us in you thoughts and keep some blue tarps handy!

all:  florida and the rest of the gulf coast region is an absolute paradise most of the year, but storm season can be vicious!  our hobby deals with metals (rails, locos, cars, ect...) so it pays to keep a weather eye to avoid deadly encounters with lightning.  as in all railroading activities, safety first...or as in an old memory (bruce, you remember this one?), "Safety Fist!"  that's a story for another time and thread.  i'll be back in the shop today and hopefully have the other door cut out and ready to assemble.

stay dry, stay safe!

the erie legacy car is next!

moose the caboose

on Jul 21st, 2007, 12:29pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi Moose,

Been watching the weather patterns in your neck of the words and am somewhat concerned. Have some friends of the family also in central Florida, west coast, and they are not in good shape. How are things working out for you and your's. In the meantime, take care, best of luck and keep us informed.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  mccarter_n15926.jpg - 40274 Bytes
« Reply #483 on: Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:28am »

hi tom,

many thanks for the photo!  please do forward anything to do with cabooses, waycars, mow cars, and the like.  i can especially use shop layoff drawings, builder photos, and high res railfan photos showing as many sides as possible of the same car.  i also look for oddball cars that show real character.  this type of car wasn't produced in cookie-cutter fashion, but was done because there was a need to be met.  the photo below of the el paso & south western is a good example.  this cab is small, compact, and built to fill a need.  anything that you run across like that would be deeply appreciated!

i've wanted to do a plywood car for some time now.  couldn't you just see a jersey central tagging along with the erie in a bridge move between the two railroads?!  the funny thing is that i use plywood as the prime material for the bodies.  using 1:1 plywood for a plywood caboose, the grain structure is too large to simulate the look of scale sized plywood.  so i've been thinking of some of the fine grain woods like basswood or some of the maples.  down here, the actual furniture plywoods are very expensive, so the thought of using veneers comes to mind.  veneers can run into some bucks as well, but would be far more affordable than the plywoods.

again, many thanks for the thought and the photo!

moose the caboose

on Jul 22nd, 2007, 9:47am, TAB wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Moose…I found this photo in my stack of stuff. It is a plywood caboose. It dates from the late 1950s to early 1960s. Although this is 1:1 scale it reminded me of your work. The picture was taken at the Elizabeth Port Shops of the Jersey Central Lines …Tom

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/mccarter_n15926.jpg
Click Image to Resize

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #484 on: Jul 22nd, 2007, 6:44pm »

Moose,
You have a very very good point there about not building the usual!  Thats part of the reason I built a GE 44 Tonner, instead of an F7, GP38, Dash-8, etc.etc.etc...  I wanted something that was not built by a supplier (roll models, eslines, or some other ones).  This brings up my next project...  I plan to start off building a simple flatcar, very simple, not completely prototypical but still looks like a flatcar.  BUT it will have "interchangeable" decks, allowing me to change from a seat car, to a battery car, or to an gondola, or maybe a live steam boat rig to hold a live steam boat (another project hopefully).

Moose, you build very good cars from the pictures, they inspire alot of people to build more rolling stock by hand, instead of ordering a RTR.

Dean
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_photos_7-29-07_007.jpg - 39372 Bytes
« Reply #485 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 7:29pm »

hi all,

got a chance to paint and final assemble door #1 today!  the assembly and fit up of door #2 also progressed as well.  it will be painted tomorrow!  when it is completed, all that's left is mounting.  with all the brasswork painted, it's just a matter of installing and returning the car to it's home railroad.  

i took a second look at my resource materials and decided not to install the mullion strips.

here's a look at door #1.

erie legacy caboose,,,get ready!

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_photos_7-29-07_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_photos_7-29-07_003.jpg - 36775 Bytes
« Reply #486 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 7:39pm »

hi all,

here's a look at door #2.

erie legacy caboose,,,almost there!

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_photos_7-29-07_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  Right_side.jpg - 37356 Bytes
« Reply #487 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 7:59pm »

hi all!

dg's comment about the ge 44 tonner being unique in the hobby made me start to think.  well, 44 tonners are common in the hobby, but having one that runs well, pulls well, constructed well, and detailed well...well, isn't.  most settle for a caricature.  that in and of itself is fine, but a little more time and research will result in a model that is a joy to behold as well as operate.  dean, keep up the great work!

you want unique?  try this one in 3 3/4 inch scale...but that's another thread in the not so distant future.  i want to thank the good folks at mngr for being patient with my inquiries!  thanks especially to russ.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on Jul 22nd, 2007, 6:44pm, dgmarklin wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Moose,
You have a very very good point there about not building the usual!  Thats part of the reason I built a GE 44 Tonner, instead of an F7, GP38, Dash-8, etc.etc.etc...  I wanted something that was not built by a supplier (roll models, eslines, or some other ones).  This brings up my next project...  I plan to start off building a simple flatcar, very simple, not completely prototypical but still looks like a flatcar.  BUT it will have "interchangeable" decks, allowing me to change from a seat car, to a battery car, or to an gondola, or maybe a live steam boat rig to hold a live steam boat (another project hopefully).

Moose, you build very good cars from the pictures, they inspire alot of people to build more rolling stock by hand, instead of ordering a RTR.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Right_side.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2007, 8:04pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #488 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 12:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Moose, that engine looks like the same ones that the Edaville Railroad (2 ft)uses now. I believe Plum Cove Studios is building one for 7.5/7.25 gauge track.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #489 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 7:58pm »

hi bobby,

you are correct, pc is trying to build them.  the difference between mine and theirs?  mine will be built to original factory configuration...theirs', they'll do what they need to do to sell them.  mine will be 3 to 4 times heavier and powered by a golf cart motor in all likelihood.  theirs'...they will do what they have to to sell them.  no dig at them, but their design criteria is different than mine.  theirs' undoubtably will be lighter and have greater portability, mine will need a trailer.

here's a question for you, where did edaville get them from...what's the heritage?

moose the caboose

on Jul 30th, 2007, 12:51pm, B+MNW21201 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Moose, that engine looks like the same ones that the Edaville Railroad (2 ft)uses now. I believe Plum Cove Studios is building one for 7.5/7.25 gauge track.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #490 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 4:47pm »

That is the ex-Edaville engine.

As I understand it, PC's model is to 2-1/2" scale, for 7-1'2" gauge. For a 2' prototype, that's just plain wrong.... If you can't at least attempt to do it right, leave it alone!

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_8-12-07_005.jpg - 52649 Bytes
« Reply #491 on: Aug 12th, 2007, 2:21pm »

hi all,

the wm caboose isn't far from leaving the shop!  here's a picture of door #2 getting red paint.

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_8-12-07_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_8-12-07_004.jpg - 36734 Bytes
« Reply #492 on: Aug 12th, 2007, 2:24pm »

hi all,

here's the pre-install look of door #1.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_8-12-07_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_8-12-07_009.jpg - 33397 Bytes
« Reply #493 on: Aug 12th, 2007, 2:28pm »

hi all,

here's the semi-finished look for the wm caboose.  i still have the brasswork to check and re-install, but that shouldn't take long!  bruce, i'm soooo close to your legacy erie...i can't wait to get started!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_8-12-07_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #494 on: Aug 12th, 2007, 4:59pm »

Looking real nice, Moosey. An' it's about time, too!!!

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #495 on: Aug 17th, 2007, 5:51pm »

hi all,

it's finally done...almost.  the wm caboose still needs lettering and lighting system, but that may be done by others.  tomorrow, it will be returned to its home rails and a legacy erie caboose will take its place on the build table.  i will try and get some pictures of the wm caboose and its stablemates.

til' then...

enjoy!

moose the caboose

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_8-18-07_014.jpg - 75400 Bytes
« Reply #496 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 8:15pm »

hi all,

the wm caboose is gone, gone, gone!  here's a view of it in it's new home.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_8-18-07_014.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_8-18-07_006.jpg - 471747 Bytes
« Reply #497 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 8:20pm »

and another view.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (471747 bytes, 2048x1536 pixels)

Click Here to View Image wm_caboose_8-18-07_006.jpg - 471747 Bytes

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_8-18-07_004.jpg - 53047 Bytes
« Reply #498 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 8:25pm »

hi all,

with the exit of the wm caboose, there's a new occupant sitting in it's place...close your eyes bruce!  let the demolition begin!  

it will only hurt for a little while, the pain should subside shortly!

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_8-18-07_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  erie_legacy_caboose_8-18-07_008.jpg - 48379 Bytes
« Reply #499 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 8:43pm »

hi all,

the erie legacy caboose will be getting a much deserved face-lift.  this car has seen many miles of action.  as an early kit-built car from mcc, it is a perfect example of how easy it is to get into the hobby.  i'm going to be updating the body (getting rid of nails and screws that are in plain sight), re-newing parts that have become shop-worn, and increasing the scale appearance.  this car has tagged along behind many a live steamer-in-training and truly does deserve a re-build.  keep watching to see how i'm going to pull this miracle off!

ya know, i've been thinking of making this a d & h car by sawing off the rear section behind the copula...only kidding bruce!

the interior will soon be re-framed and painted so the new windows can be fitted.

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/erie_legacy_caboose_8-18-07_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »