Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 25th, 2017, 7:08am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29169 times)
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose

« Reply #420 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 10:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Well, well, well, Greg looks right at home at the throttle of "ole7597" if I do say so myself. We gotta do that again soon. Great fun!!

Whos that short, old guy with the white hair sticking out from the engineers cap and the Seminole Gulf shirt on?? OH, damn, thats me.  

Take care,  

Bruce

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #421 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 11:40pm »

Hey Bruce,

Sometimes you surprise even me. That fella is a mature individual with platinum blonde hair, just like me. My Engineer's cap has a large PRR keystone on the front of it.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
pockets
Historian

« Reply #422 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 6:34am »

.....and the student engineer is thinking, " Bruce's engine, Pete's cars and caboose and Ben's coaches.... A merciful God will let me die in the wreck!"

Thanks, again, Bruce , for a day that I will cherish.
Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_3-30-07_001.jpg - 110761 Bytes
« Reply #423 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 10:01pm »

hi all,

the brass-work continues, here's a view of 2 of the ladder sets that are now together.  there's some additional pieces to be soldered on, but that will come this weekend.  just think, 4 more sets and i'll have all the ladders i need this year?!!  er, maybe i ought to invest in a metals company.....

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_3-30-07_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose

« Reply #424 on: Mar 31st, 2007, 10:02pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

looking good moose. Great work  

Anthony

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #425 on: Apr 1st, 2007, 9:27pm »

Nice ladders, I am going to have a bunch of handrails to make soon.    

Speaking of,  
brass and what kind of solder?

Dean
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #426 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 7:35pm »

hi all,

dg: sorry for the long absence, my dissertation on the other thread took longer that i thought.  the ladder sides are k&s 1/8" square brass tubing and the ladder rungs are 1/16" brass rods.  as for solder, i've tried several types, all silver solders or silver-bearing solders.  each type requires specific heat and fluxes.  pockets and/or bruce can speak to the specific needs and uses.  for most of my small detail work, i use a 2% silver-bearing solder sold at my local r/c hobby shop for hardened electrical connections.  used in combination with the water-soluable flux gel available from most plumbing supply houses, i have what works for me at the moment.  all things are subject to learning better ways!  the regular lead/tin electrical solders are too fragile for the r/c hobby applications or mine for that matter.  i'm still learning my way around the metal stuff, so stay tuned!

to all:  thanks for your kind comments on the projects at hand!

moose the caboose

on Apr 1st, 2007, 9:27pm, dgmarklin wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Speaking of,  
brass and what kind of solder?

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #427 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:34pm »

I guess I need to start taking notes on this stuff for my massive 2" binder for my locomotive.  My plans are to do the handrails out of brass.

Dean
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alex_bobber_caboose_4-16-07_002.jpg - 130712 Bytes
« Reply #428 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 7:11pm »

hi all,

i haven't posted very much here in a couple of weeks, but work has been ongoing in the shop.

here's a pic of alex's bobber caboose with the windows installed...makes a difference doesn't it?!  there's more to go, but a week or two's work will see an even bigger difference.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alex_bobber_caboose_4-16-07_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alex_bobber_caboose_4-16-07_006.jpg - 134969 Bytes
« Reply #429 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 7:22pm »

hi all,

here's another pic of alex's bobber caboose showing the fit-up work for the ladders.  the step-units have been installed and the grab-irons will be...shortly!  when the ladders are completely installed, the next project is a pair of lamps that will be mounted as shown in some of the earlier photos.  if you run in the 'hernia' gauge, you should also have lights available on your caboose for night running or through tunnels.  most people buy the little blinky bicycle lights, but it looks nicer if the lights are designed into the car.  the most common way?  caboose marker lanterns, but i want to back date this car to use kerosene or coal oil lanterns fore & aft of the cupola.

stay tuned!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alex_bobber_caboose_4-16-07_006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alex_bobber_caboose_4-16-07_005.jpg - 122820 Bytes
« Reply #430 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 7:26pm »

hi all,

this picture was taken from another angle.  
stay tuned!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alex_bobber_caboose_4-16-07_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #431 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 4:03pm »

Itís looking really nice moose. Thanks for posting those pictures

Anthony

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #432 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 9:54pm »

Lookin good Moose.  

Have you guys seen those railcars on Discoverlivesteam.com?  Those are pretty good lookin too!  

Moose, have you ever taken some realistic shots with some of your railcars for the discoverlivesteam.com photo contest.  You would place WAY UP THERE on the list!!!

Dean the Bean

Dean
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alex_bobber_caboose_4-20-07_001.jpg - 133768 Bytes
« Reply #433 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 8:51am »

hi all,

dg: maybe i'll submit some photos someday, but i'm having too much fun building right now!  thanks for your vote of confidence.

all:  here of late, i've been messin' around with shim brass.  going to be pickling alex's brass ladders before painting, so in the interim i'm trying my hand at making ole time caboose lanterns.  when i began this thread, i promised to show the path my journey in the hobby takes.  working with brass isn't easy...but its not that hard either.  it takes time, effort, planning, careful layout, and not cutting or burning your fingers.  

i was lucky enough to be able to visit that old tin-knocker pockets, yesterday.  i learned a lot!  thanks, pockets, for your time and enthusiasm!  i found that the project example i showed him was good, but he taught me several ways to eliminate the total number of pieces needed to build it. in my first try (and there will be alot more), i didn't do too bad, but there are 6 pieces of brass in construction that you see.  each separate piece needs to be soldered in place adding to the concern that new heat will disrupt a previously completed seam.  what i learned from pockets was to think of folding paper shapes like dolls or origami.  using a combination of small metal brake and certain hand tools, i could fold my way to a better looking and functioning lantern.  (i'll scan in and post his example soon) here's a photo of what i've been doing.

enjoy,

moose the sleepy

on Apr 16th, 2007, 9:54pm, dgmarklin wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Lookin good Moose. †

Have you guys seen those railcars on Discoverlivesteam.com? †Those are pretty good lookin too! †

Moose, have you ever taken some realistic shots with some of your railcars for the discoverlivesteam.com photo contest. †You would place WAY UP THERE on the list!!!

Dean the Bean

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alex_bobber_caboose_4-20-07_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alex_bobber_caboose_4-20-07_006.jpg - 124280 Bytes
« Reply #434 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 9:10am »

hi all,

here's a side view.  many would consider my efforts rough and crude...they are.  there's a learning curve to everything including brass-work.  it's not going to look great until the mind, the hands, and the tools begin working together.  i'm showing you these images because i'm proud of the learning steps i'm making and would encourage you to try it for yourself if you haven't.  you won't know what you can accomplish until you try.

enjoy,

moose the sleepy

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alex_bobber_caboose_4-20-07_006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #435 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 6:54pm »

Thatís really cool moose. †I'm looking forward to seeing the light that will go inside it. I hope to eventualy make my own light for one of my lionel engines.

Anthony

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2007, 4:45pm by anthonyd_SRR » Logged
pockets
Historian

« Reply #436 on: Apr 23rd, 2007, 9:45am »

Anthony,
I was going to let this pass, but since George has implicated me, I feel compelled to post a clarification. If you are complimenting the finished parts of the caboose, as a whole, I couldn't agree more.  

If you are referring to the lamps, I have to differ. Ol' Moosey has the testicular fortitude to lay his entire learning curve on the table. If you take the number 100,000 as George's metalworking destination, these first efforts are number 1. They were done by a man who has the honesty, with himself, to admit that they are pushing the limit of his tools and skill level. What he has accomplished is to learn enough from them to fill a long chapter in a very thick book. He will tool up and practice. Stick around and watch his progress.

Metal forming (tin knocking) complex shapes is where science and art meet the metal. There is a whole range of skills and knowledge, every bit as demanding as those found in the machine shop. This is why you see locomotive builders using castings for steam and sand domes and headlights. Why do guys stick the guts from a flashlight in their headlight?  Because it's a whole other world of skills to spin or hammer form a proper parabolic reflector.

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #437 on: Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:46am »

Ouch! I think someone has struck a nerve.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #438 on: Apr 24th, 2007, 10:29pm »

Not really, Bobby, and it wasn't intended to sound that way. I was trying to explain that these are the first, shakey steps of someone who will soon be a marathon runner. Not many of the hobby's (Gawd, I hate that word. When you pull your first throttle, on a steam locomotive, it ceases to be a hobby. It's a lifestyle and an addiction.) gurus would post their less than perfect experiments on a global access forum.

My further elaboration was an effort to explain the skills that George has undertaken to learn. My possession of a lathe and mill do not, and probably never will, make me a machinist. What I do with these machines has been mercifully termed whittling in metal. However, I am a fair hand at fabrication and metal forming. I have been building brass models for more than thirty years. I owned my own prototyping and fabrication business and have starched and pressed the occasional formula car. This does not make me an expert. At best, I would be classified as a gifted amature. It does qualify me to state that the skills George is learning are entirely different from the machine tool skills. Not superior and not inferior. Just different. Based on our conversation, they are some of the same skills you will be employing when you start that carbody.

I apologise to anyone who took offense at the tone of my reply to Anthony. It was not my intent to come across as a crusty ol' fart.

BTW: Don't tell Moose, but at last count I had thirty-eight hammers and mallets of different sizes, shapes and materials, just for forming metal......

Greg B.

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #439 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 7:35pm »

Yup, I have pretty much no tools at my house so I use the schools tools for the work I need to do.  And all their machines.  We got 3 workshop classrooms, in the one that isnt really even used, besides when i use it, there are 3 lathes, 2 drill press, 2 chop saws, 3 belt sanders, 1 router table, 1 table saw, refrigerator, and a coffee pot.  Plus 3 cabinets of hand tools (routers, sanders, hammers, etc.)

And that is the SMALL wood work shop.  The one on the end is about 3 times bigger in square feet and has 2 or 3 mills, and about of metal working stuff, including a alumn. foundry area.  

Our drafting class, the one I am really in since I am not in shop, has a vynal cutter, a 45W laser, 3 plotters, 2 printers, and about 35 computers.  To say the least, its wonderful!

Dean
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »