Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 26th, 2017, 8:48pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29045 times)
Cornwall_RR
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose
  P2270006.jpg - 467857 Bytes
« Reply #400 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 5:50pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Interior detail.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (467857 bytes, 1536x1152 pixels)

Click Here to View Image P2270006.jpg - 467857 Bytes

Cornwall Railroad Historian
RCT&HS Member & Volunteer
Co Moderator of the Reading & Northern board

"Don't overlook the shortlines - Bigger isn't always better!"
Cornwall_RR
Historian
  MGNG_11.gif - 286701 Bytes
« Reply #401 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 5:56pm »

I have seen this photo of MGNG number 11 all over the place so I will post it hear.  I have even seen on Ebay too so there must be a bunch of copies out there.  Anyway this is a shot of number 11 by Baldwin and was probably taken on the first day the MGNG was open - July 4, 1889.  The engine is sitting on the turntable outside of the Mount Gretna engine house.

-Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/MGNG_11.gif
Click Image to Resize

Cornwall Railroad Historian
RCT&HS Member & Volunteer
Co Moderator of the Reading & Northern board

"Don't overlook the shortlines - Bigger isn't always better!"
pockets
Historian

« Reply #402 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 7:22pm »

Omigawd!!! Mark, this stuff is pure unobtanium! I was asked, recently, if I was going to model the open coaches and had to reply in the negative. A few hazy photos and an HO scale drawing are all I've been able to find and the drawing didn't have enough data to build, accurately, from. This is a Godsend. I have the photo, but, until now, not in a format that would tolerate serious enlargement.

George was right. It took a few minutes to pick my chin off the desk. Watch you PM as I will be contacting you, there.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  bcrr_2-21-24-07_041.jpg - 134080 Bytes
« Reply #403 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 8:28pm »

hi all,

yes, i know it has been a little while since i posted here.  i've been taking a lurkers' vacation and getting a few other projects caught up with.  within the next couple of weeks, the wm and bobber cabooses will be back in the shop for final detailing work.  when they have exited the shop for their respective homes, there's a certain erie caboose that needs some tlc.  stay tuned!  the fun is about to begin again!

til' then, here's a taste of the level of model-building i found at the un-meet'07' held by the 'ungroup' at the bcrr.  tip-o-the-hat for one of the most relaxing meets ever!  if ever there was a theme to a gathering, this one had to be 'meet the builders'!  i learned something from everybody i met and i think they learned something from me.  many, many thanks to pete, his family, bruce, bobby, ray, and all the others who pulled together to make the first ever bcrr 'unmeet07' the most enjoyable in many a year!

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/bcrr_2-21-24-07_041.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  bcrr_2-21-24-07_048.jpg - 147542 Bytes
« Reply #404 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 8:35pm »

hi all,

here's one of the neatest exhibits of 'steam' gear at the 'unmeet07'.  stationary and marine steam!

and yes, if you'll dig through some of the older issues of live steam magazine, you'll find some of this neat stuff as a build-project!

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/bcrr_2-21-24-07_048.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  bcrr_2-21-24-07_045.jpg - 125500 Bytes
« Reply #405 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 8:46pm »

hi all,

now, here's a better look at 'sea grape'.  who can name the builder!?  an absolutely wonderful man to talk to about both steam and marine vessels!  hint, he built 'sea grape' for an article in live steam magazine, so take a moment and look him up!  his passion for steam will set you afire.  so will the amount of work and detail he put into 'sea grape'. there's not a photo that will do his work justice.

enjoy!

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/bcrr_2-21-24-07_045.jpg
Click Image to Resize

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #406 on: Mar 15th, 2007, 6:14pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

sea grape looks really cool !!!!!!

Anthony

Biscuit
TRAINing

« Reply #407 on: Mar 15th, 2007, 7:41pm »

Good to see Dan Post is still around, I remember the Sea Grape running at our old club track in Lakeland, I even got a chance to take it around the pond.

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #408 on: Mar 15th, 2007, 8:51pm »

nice car building, really is.    

THAT SEA GRAPE
Wow, thats a tiny boat, how fast does that go, what steam HP engine is in that.  My drafting teacher wanted some kids to build a flat bottom steam boat double paddle wheeler, the project got scraped when his wife got cancer.  But we now are working on his pacific 5" steamer.

Dean
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alex_bobber_caboose_3-20-07_002.jpg - 122226 Bytes
« Reply #409 on: Mar 20th, 2007, 9:56pm »

hi all,

dg: not sure about the answers to 'sea grape.'  try reaching dan post in your area.  he is an absolute master at nautical steam!

to all:  it's funny to report, but two of my 'children' are back in the shop this week for some final detail work.  feels kindda like having your kids bring the grandkids by for a visit!  hmmm, i'll have to watch out for that.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on Mar 15th, 2007, 8:51pm, dgmarklin wrote:       (Click here for original message)
nice car building, really is.    

THAT SEA GRAPE
Wow, thats a tiny boat, how fast does that go, what steam HP engine is in that.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alex_bobber_caboose_3-20-07_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_3-20-07_008.jpg - 113964 Bytes
« Reply #410 on: Mar 20th, 2007, 10:08pm »

hi all,

biscuit: it's nice to have you here!  welcome to the live steam threads here on the railfan net!

to all:  the wm caboose was delivered during the fls meet at largo after it's debut at the bcrr in february.   lots of nice comments on the striking paint scheme and detail.  the only hitch during the time it was there?  2 hours after delivery, one of the ladder hoops went missing and has yet to be found.  time to make another one.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_3-20-07_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #411 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 9:38am »

Oh, man. George, there was a lot of foot traffic in that area for four days. I hate to see a piece like that go missing. I looked in the gravel ballast to see if I could find the loop. No luck. And now, we've been working in that same area extending the tracks out of the car barn. No tellin where the heck that got to.
   Knowing the quality people that were there, I'm sure it was an oversight.

BTW, what the heck are you doing with a certain old Erie caboose. Or should I not ask!!

Take care,  

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #412 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:38am »

Bruce,
I'm sure that George will reply, but to ease your mind, the part "went missing" at Largo...

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #413 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 6:07pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Lookin forward to seeing the detail work on the caboose

Anthony

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #414 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 9:05pm »

hi all,

bruce:  pockets is quite right, it made the journey to and from....during....the 'unmeet' of '07 with no difficulties.  it was at the other meet that the ladder hoop went missing.

the meet officials and i are at a loss to explain why.  not many builders left to carry on at the moment.

on to happier news, my new wheels are in town and will soon travel to meet their axles and other parts.  what it will be will be revealed at some point in the future.  for now, bruce is pretty close to needing some 'ole time' 33" wheels for his soon to be arch bar trucks.  i guess when they need axles, he'll see 'um!

moose the caboose

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #415 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 7:35pm »

Its sad to hear that a piece of those beautiful cabooses went missing.  Good looking cars as always!

Dean
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_3-25-07_003.jpg - 116178 Bytes
« Reply #416 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 8:44pm »

hi all,

it felt good to get back into the shop today and get started on a couple of projects that will see the bobber and the wm cabooses back to their adopted railroad.

i had a couple of paint issues to deal with on the bobber caboose, seems that the outer 'pretty' layer of the plywood was shaved off the log against the grain.  when this happens, it wants to get 'fuzzy' and stick out.  it didn't matter how much sealer i used...it just did it.   part of the problem was the amount of moisture in the air when i was working with it combined with the fact that i didn't let the plywood 'rest' and equalize to the same humidity as my shop.  so what happened?  even though the surface was smooth and sealed, when the color coat was applied it still fuzzed up.  

this caboose had to go see it's owner before the 72 hours paint cure time was up.  in truth, the paint needed longer to complete set up.   last week, i was able to retrieve the bobber caboose and allow it to settle in on the build table.  today, i started the sanding and smoothing process that will allow me to re-paint and install the last bits of detail.  sanding started with 120 grit and will finish with 220 grit.  the final burnishing after re-painting will be done with steel wool.  here's a look at it now.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_3-25-07_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_3-25-07_001.jpg - 127772 Bytes
« Reply #417 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 8:59pm »

hi all,

i knew that i would have to set up my jigs for making ladders, but i didn't think that it would be for replacing missing pieces...especially only 2 hours after delivery.  while disappointing to say the least, i got the chance today to recreate one of the ladder hoops for the wm caboose.  over this next week, i'll make 6 more complete ladder sets.  working with brass is fun, but tedious at times.  here's a picture of the new ladder hoop tonight after a coat of paint was applied.  it will get one or two more over the course of the next week and a half.  think it will pass for the one that's missing?

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_3-25-07_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #418 on: Mar 26th, 2007, 3:46pm »

I bet it will Moose,

Dean
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  bcrr_2-21-24-07_079.jpg - 139756 Bytes
« Reply #419 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 9:17pm »

hi all,

dg: thanks for the vote!

all:  brass work continues this week with building of more ladders.  will show some more progress soon!

found a picture to make a certain somebody smile...who is it!
(yeah, i know it should go in the bcrr thread, but what the hay...see all the nice rail cars behind him?!)

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/bcrr_2-21-24-07_079.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »