Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 18th, 2017, 10:09pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29345 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose
  HPIM1461.jpg - 34173 Bytes
« Reply #40 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 8:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

okay, it's been a long week away from the shop.  i wanted to show a couple of photos of how the brake system finished up.  so here's a shot of how i did it.  well, almost, i guess i'll have to figure out how to work my camera.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM1461.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  HPIM1459.jpg - 63806 Bytes
« Reply #41 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 8:40pm »

here's a shot of how it looks from the 'finished' side.  it will be painted flat black...maybe some gray or over-misted with brown or left black-gray and let 'rail-oil' stain it as it will.  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM1459.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  HPIM1469.jpg - 53788 Bytes
« Reply #42 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 8:51pm »

it's been a good day in the shop.  several of you get nervous when seeing equipment in the 'dead-cockroach' position.  most the of the bottom construction work has been completed...for now.  it's time to work on the roof details.  this photo shows some of the details close to being able to be mounted.  can you guess what each is?  for you eagle-eyed folks, what 'other detail' can you barely make out?  it ain't on the roof!

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM1469.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #43 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 9:14pm »

Looking Good!

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  HPIM1471.jpg - 42195 Bytes
« Reply #44 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 9:39pm »

hi all!

the devil's in the details they say...so that's what i've been doing.  pictured below is one of the step units for the car.  with some judicious sanding, this unit will be ready for mounting, priming, and final paint.  i've used wood because that's what i'm good at...others may prefer metal for it's durability.  at times, railcars can receive rough handling by folks who don't know how to respect fine details .  if you're good with metal, you might consider it a less worrisome alternative.  personally, i can whip out another set of wooden steps in no time.  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM1471.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  commisary_car_052.jpg - 36956 Bytes
« Reply #45 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 9:55pm »

hi all!

pictured below is one of the access doors for loading food staples and supplies for the galley.  i've learned to create and mount the cores of the doors  before applying sheathing, details, and paint (i hate re-building detail broken in construction).  wooden cars and detail appliances absorb moisture...plan for expansion!  doors and windows need a slightly loose fit so that they work properly when sealed by paint or other coating.  an unsealed wooden surface grows with humidity (remember that sticky back porch door you haven't gotten to yet?)!

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/commisary_car_052.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  commisary_car_055.jpg - 29706 Bytes
« Reply #46 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 10:11pm »

the picture below shows some of the additional details either in the works or about to be finished.  in the post above, i show an access door.  i do the entry doors the same way.  both a-end and b-end doors are now mounted and ready for detailing.  the other 'goodie' is now visible, i'm building room separations between the commissary, 'necessity' cabins, and the galley.  what you're seeing are walls in the initial planning stage.  i have pockets to blame....er, i mean 'thank' for this added 'madness'.  i've wanted to add another layer of 'interior' details, but concerns for rudimentary storage needs by others have kept me from it...until now!

enjoy,

moose the caboose  
[/quote]

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/commisary_car_055.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #47 on: Apr 27th, 2006, 10:17am »

George,

As useual, your workmanship is a pleasure to see, and the information about the particular car you building is most interesting.

Thanks for shareing.

Take care,

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #48 on: Apr 27th, 2006, 4:23pm »

I'll gladly take the blame for this one...One of the joys of modelling, for me, is pushing the envelope of my abilities. You have the natural ability  and it is a rare treat to see the kind of detail achieved in the smaller scales brought to large scale railroading.  

The biggest problem that I forsee is knowing when you are "done". At 1.5/1.6" scale, if it exists in full size it can be modelled.....It might not make a practical operating model, but it can be produced.

See ya Saturday,
Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  HPIM1481.jpg - 40473 Bytes
« Reply #49 on: Apr 30th, 2006, 8:14pm »

hi all,

i took a break from the 'shop' and played yardmaster this past saturday at the largo track.  thanks go to pockets for organizing a fantastic '5th' saturday event.  what was i doing?  building trains for a card-order session (bruce, i have much gratitude for both you and the larger for preaching an orderly yard).  my little blue english tank engine would latch on to and pull as many as 18 cars upgrade, not bad for a 250 lbs loco.  bruce, you'll enjoy this, after about 4 hours, we ran the batteries down low enough that the brakes would no longer set...it was time to let some else have some fun.   i had a blast!  pockets, thanks again for letting me 'play'!

okay, time to get back on topic.  tonight, i want to show you some of the roof details.  on all my cabooses and manned-railcars, i use 1/2 inch copper pipe (5/8 inch od and 1/2 inch id) for the stove pipes.  if you're a tinman, you could knock together some great looking stove pipes with tapers, dampers, stays, ect.  i'm better with wood than metals so i'll stick with the pipe and a tee.  my roofs are individually planked and the stove pipes do pierce through them, so some roofing support is needed.  the photo below is of the block that not only re-enforces, but provides additional support for the stove pipe.  many will note that i don't use metal screws, bolts, or nails as a general rule.  comes from building too much furniture i guess.  metals are used where function prescribes them.  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM1481.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  HPIM1484.jpg - 26362 Bytes
« Reply #50 on: May 1st, 2006, 10:35pm »

hi all,

tonight i want to show you a little more about how the roof details are coming along.  the photo below shows how i mount all my roof-walk supports.  it is also one of the very few places that i use wire-brads in construction.  each support is held by 2 brads until the glue dries, that way i can add them in a hurry without disturbing the ones that i've just installed.  glueing requires good close fitting joints and a small amount of pressure to ensure good contact.  most of the time i use clamps, but there are those situations where clamps won't do...but wire-brads can.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM1484.jpg
Click Image to Resize

livesteamsteve
Railfan

« Reply #51 on: May 1st, 2006, 10:54pm »

Hi Moose:

Thanks for the assistance when I go to build the Mogul.  I have the drawings already and looking at them gives me the bug.  I currently have a LE 0-4-0T in 1" scale that I am rebuilding and once that project gets out of the way I am going to start the "Mighty Mogul."  I am looking to have someone watercut the frames so that will take a little time from the construction as well as doing the cylinders.  If you look at Allen's drawings, you can make at least 1/2 the parts out of bar stock.  I have a friend that built a ten-wheeler and I know 3 other guys that have built Soler ten wheelers (Allen's design but with fake piston valve and Walshearts gear) and a good portion of the castings arent needed.  Everyone that has an Allen engine says they are easy to construct and work on.

As far as Train Mountain is concerned, I will post a good portion of the pics when I return or possibly when I'm on the road.  Its going to be an incredible trip.  If I wasn't going, that money would be used to start the construction of the Mogul and also a few freight cars from Mountain Car.

Happy Steaming,

Steve L.

Got Steam!!!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #52 on: May 2nd, 2006, 8:14am »

Lookin' good, George. Is this what you were painting, last night?

Greg

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #53 on: May 2nd, 2006, 10:54pm »

hi all,

hey greg!  i painted the underside of the roof and the interior of the railcar...white.  when i get a chance to install a lighting system, a little light will go along way.  tomorrow, the top of the roof will be painted black so i can install the rest of the roof walks.   tonight, i also made the stove pipe skirts (raised flashing).  i'll show the photos of them tomorrow night.  it's growing late.

to all, a better tomorrow!

moose the caboose

on May 2nd, 2006, 8:14am, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Lookin' good, George. Is this what you were painting, last night?

Greg

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  commisary_car_085.jpg - 46222 Bytes
« Reply #54 on: May 4th, 2006, 9:59pm »

hi all,

last night,  i painted the topside of the roof and some of the roof details.   pictured below is how the roof looked (at night) with high gloss paint.  tomorrow night, i'll show what it looks like (hopefully in daylight) 'dusted' with some flat paints.  once done, the roof walks will go on next.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/commisary_car_085.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  commisary_car_088.jpg - 60457 Bytes
« Reply #55 on: May 4th, 2006, 10:12pm »

hi all,

i also painted the stove pipe skirts (flashing) and the ice hatch for the topside roof details.   the pipe skirts are made from heavy bond typing paper.  i've found that they could also be made for shim brass the same way.  the brass would be harder to destroy, but the paper would be easier to replace.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/commisary_car_088.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  commisary_car_092.jpg - 25306 Bytes
« Reply #56 on: May 4th, 2006, 10:17pm »

hi all,

last picture tonight is of the under-belly tanks.  they don't look like must now.  so far, they've been primed and 'dusted' with 3 colors.  two more color 'dustings' will finish them off.    

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/commisary_car_092.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2006, 10:36pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  electronic_controller_melt-down_5-7-06_007.jpg - 69937 Bytes
« Reply #57 on: May 8th, 2006, 10:56pm »

hi all,

i taking a short break from building to show you that nothing in this hobby is risk-free.  whether your equipment is powered by steam, gasoline, diesel, or electricity...be prepared for anything!  yesterday at the largo track, i decided to run my engine.  i was taking it out of the containers and turned on main power to ease it on to the lift.  there was a bang, a lot of smoke, and some flames.  we got the fire out, luckily no one was hurt, nothing else was damaged, and the wiring stayed intact with no damage.  however, a 400 amp controller is toast!

there were no faults in any of the external systems, it's just one of those rare occurances where it just turned loose.  the housing is/was factory sealed, but the explosion blew out the bottom and set the service car alit.

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/electronic_controller_melt-down_5-7-06_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 8th, 2006, 10:57pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  electronic_controller_melt-down_5-7-06_001.jpg - 68946 Bytes
« Reply #58 on: May 8th, 2006, 11:02pm »

hi all,

here's another view  
enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/electronic_controller_melt-down_5-7-06_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  electronic_controller_melt-down_5-7-06_003.jpg - 50706 Bytes
« Reply #59 on: May 8th, 2006, 11:11pm »

hi all,

and still another view.  this is of the alley-way where the electrolytic capacitors...were, there are a couple that are missing...gone without a trace!  when a large capacity controller is turned on, these capacitors charge and discharge at least once until the unit is stable.  their purpose 'was' to smooth the waveform so that the motor would see a smooth dc voltage.  not any more!

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/electronic_controller_melt-down_5-7-06_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »