Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 23rd, 2017, 4:11pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29255 times)
livesteamsteve
Railfan
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose

« Reply #380 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 10:05pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Unfortunately, State Farm, OPEC, Amazon.com (school books), and College have first dibs on my money before it goes to the live steam hobby.  I also have two other hobbies that eat up an equal amount of money along with live steam.  The one downside of going out to Train Mountain was all the ideas I got from the equipment I saw out there.  I've had the pickle car in mind for a few years now.

The first project is to get my little weed burner (a.k.a. the 0-4-0) running for this season.  Then I have two sets of journals and pedistals to build two 1" scale bobber cabooses.  I might have a few potential buyers for my 1" steamer, so if that sells, I'm going to start an Allen Mogul.  I do first want to scratchbuild a few 1.5" cars.  We have two gentleman at PLS that have a 1.5" 4-4-0 that only have a flat car and a bobber caboose, so I offered to build cars that they are welcome to pull around.

Moose, do you have any sources for plans of a wooden Northeastern caboose that were built during the war?  It is very similar to the WM caboose that you featured on here.  I am a die hard Reading RR fan and I would love to build one in 1.5".

Keep up the good work on here Bruce, Moose, and any of the "live steamers" that I failed to mention.

Steve

Got Steam!!!
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #381 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 10:15pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Steve, concerning your pickle car, I seem to remember that Kalmbach (Model Railroader) had a book called "Freight Cars That You Can Build" or something like that, that had plans for such a car with variations on that theme as some were wood and some steel. That may be a good place to start your research.  

Bobby

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2007, 7:53am by BMNW21201 » Logged
pockets
Historian

« Reply #382 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 10:22pm »

Bobby,
You are correct. I had that book, but sent it to my oldest son to try and motivate him beyond "shake the box" kits. I was in a hobby shop a couple of years ago and the book was still available.

See ya soonly,
Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_2-12-07_004.jpg - 119274 Bytes
« Reply #383 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 10:54pm »

hi all,

steve: bobby and greg are both correct in suggesting that you look to the smaller scale model publications, they're chocked full of future project data.  most people like the big brand-name cars, i like regional favorites.  to find those, check out your local library's geneology section.  a lot of families in your area 'publish' their findings including old photographs.  you'll be amazed at what turns up when you do that.  if your local library is a library of congress depository...even better, a lot of local history winds up there.  as greg knows, i troll libraries all over the country.  you never know what you'll find!

on to the wm caboose!  for the last 2 nights, i've been cutting and shaping brass for grab-irons and ladders.  tonight, i was able to bring the ladders to a semi-finished point to where i could mock them up on the caboose.  the ladders were made from 1/8 inch square brass tube and 1/16 inch brass rod.  the pieces were de-burred, cleaned, and fluxed prior to soldering.  there's still some solder clean-up, but here's how the caboose looks tonight.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_2-12-07_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_2-12-07_013.jpg - 121786 Bytes
« Reply #384 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 11:14pm »

hi all,

i should mention that the roof ladder 'hoops' were heated to just before cherry-red and quinched before bending.  as i have learned from greg and others, brass materials 'work' harden very quickly.  if you feel a change in the pressure needed to carefully...slowly bend your work-piece, stop immediately and re-heat.  to not do that means it will either break or bend in ways you don't want it to.  the ladder 'hoops' were re-heated several times to keep things going the way i wanted them to.  the ladder 'hoops' were made of the same 1/8 inch square brass tube.  square tube doesn't like being bent into a circle.  it wants to roll into a spiral.  slow, steady bending pressure around a solid form with several re-heats were required to keep everything  square.

here's another view of how the ladders look when mocked up.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_2-12-07_013.jpg
Click Image to Resize

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #385 on: Feb 14th, 2007, 7:08pm »

nice pics, the caboose looks AWSOME

Anthony

pockets
Historian

« Reply #386 on: Feb 14th, 2007, 7:09pm »

Nice looking brass work, Moosey.

All:  I want to do a little myth busting. Railroad modeling can be as expensive or inexpensive as your imagineering ability can make it. If you want to build a pickle car, for example, look at (study) every piece of that car. What is there that you absolutely can't produce yourself? Wheels? Scrounge some 3/4" aluminum plate and turn it into disks with a sweat pump (hacksaw). Everybody, in the hobby, knows someone with a lathe and us old guys love to help newbees. Ladders and grabirons? Ol' George just showed you how. Trucks? Pick a prototype that used arch-bars and bend them up. I just recently convinced Moose that it can be done. I've made my own in five scales and and seven gauges. Yes, your first efforts will look like crap. It's called paying your dues. I'm not a machinist. Those who are merciful refer to what I do as whitling in metal. I still get it done. Mostly, it works as intended.

Do a little dumpster diving. Old office machines (printers, copy machines, folders and such) are full of shafts, bearings and other usefull stuff. Quit looking at something for what it is. Look at it for what it can be. What useful shapes are hiding in that casting.

Don't whine, to me about being too broke to participate. I'm a Cancer patient, retired on a fixed, disability income. Hell, I have to save up to buy drill bits, but I do it. I want it bad enough.

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_2-15-07_001.jpg - 116886 Bytes
« Reply #387 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 9:58pm »

hi all,

had a lot to do after work, so not so much time in the shop tonight.  i try to get something crossed off the list of to-do items every night.  tonight, i got enough 1/8 inch square brass tubing drilled to make 2 more sets of ladders (the commissary car and bobber caboose).  the trip to the hardware store (bruce's favorite place...besides working in his shop or working in the railroad.  ya never know what ya'll find in an old fashioned hardware store!) netted a handfull of #3 stainless steel bolts and flat washers.  here's a photo of how they were put to use.  i still have to make some square nuts for the other end, then that task will be crossed off the list.  the slotted bolt heads were snipped off the shank and the new parts installed on the draft gear.  see what ya think?!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_2-15-07_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #388 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 10:34pm »

Why, oh why, can I envision someone, in the not too murky future, applying a wrench to those nuts.  It goes something like this: Joe Stacktalk has his head in the firebox or is distracted by the eight carloads of "cattle" behind him, and gently "kisses" this hack with his 1500# Mikado. Not bad, but the gal needs some love. Back in the steaming bay the experts gather 'round....

Good job, George. It's starting to look (like a) real crummy.

Greg B.

livesteamsteve
Railfan

« Reply #389 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 10:54pm »

Might I add that a good place to find stuff to build live steam stuff are the swap tables if you belong to a live steam club.  Someone always has stuff they dig out of their basement/shop.  I found 2 sets of cast axle boxes and matching pedestals to build the running gear for two 1" scale bobber cabooses for $20 bucks.  All I need to do now is make some wheelsets, axles, frame, and the wood and I have two cabooses.

Another good place to find stuff for building anything in live steam is Cabin Fever in York, PA in January.  They have metal dealers there that have anything you could want and also the abundance of stuff at the swap tables.  Most of the stuff comes from basement/shop cleanouts and estate settlements along.  Some stuff also comes from guys bringing stuff they have laying around.  My buddy made 75 bucks from stuff he had laying around, so it more than paid to drive out there from where we are at.

Also, I am looking for some plans for both of these engines.  See the link to my other post.

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=SteamGeneral;action=display;num=1171597027;start=0

If anyone has any sources for these, please let me know.  Thanks.

Also, thanks for the Kalmbach book source.  I have their Cyclopedia of Steam Locomotives and it is an interesting read.

Steve

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2007, 10:55pm by livesteamsteve » Logged

Got Steam!!!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_2-16-07_005.jpg - 121969 Bytes
« Reply #390 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 11:39pm »

hi all,

tonight, the 'a' end is closer to being finished.  the ladder needs only pins installed on the roof deck, bolts going through the fascia and endsill.  the brake-wheel has been cut, soldered, and fitted.  the 2 railing systems that make up the platform area have been assembled and will be cleaned up for paint (hopefully this weekend...may have to shoot from a room temp can outside and make a dash to a warmer drying area).  here's a look at it now!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_2-16-07_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2007, 12:00am by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_2-16-07_025.jpg - 117686 Bytes
« Reply #391 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 11:55pm »

hi all,

the brake wheel assembly was done as i've done it in the past.  since i use plastic brake wheels created by j & r railcars, i've found a way to modify them for my use.  as they are sent to me, the brake wheels are supposed to be set up on a 1/8 inch rod.  well, i use a 1/8 inch brass tube soldered to the railing for support, let's see...a 1/8 inch brass rod won't fit into a 1/8 inch brass tube.  so, i use a 3/32 brass rod with a 1/4 long piece of 1/8 brass tube soldered 3/8 inch from the end.  this does 2 things, it gives support to the brake wheel (it's a bushing) and provides a bearing surface so the brake wheel doesn't come in contact with the railing.  with the brake wheel cemented to the upper limit of the 1/8 inch brass tube, a piece of 1/16 inch strip plastic was cut, drilled, and shaped as a square nut to hold the brake wheel on.  here's a photo to show how it turned out.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_2-16-07_025.jpg
Click Image to Resize

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #392 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 9:55am »

really nice work moose. that caboose looks great

Anthony

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #393 on: Feb 18th, 2007, 7:12pm »

hi all,

anthony - thanks for the compliment!  i hope someday that i'll get a chance to visit you at your 'home' track.  i'll latched onto a 4-track trailer so someday soon, i'll be visitin' around like bruce does!

to all - while the weather today was crappy to say the least, i was able to make all 4 step-units and apply the first coat of paint.  with my shop supplies re-newed, i was able to finish the last platform railing-ladder combination.  it's also been painted with it's first coat.  yes, the push is on!  4 of the windows need trim pieces made and then the whole assemblies need to be painted.  then there's the matter of those 12 grab-irons (4 are already pre-formed but need flattening, drilling, and painting) that still have to be made.  whew! that's a lot...did i also mention that the trim paint needs to go on and the details get installed permanently?

not to worry (let me do alot of that), the wm caboose will be going south...shortly!  some additional details may be finally finished next weekend for delivery on tuesday.

what a rush!  i'll post some more pictures before wednesday.

moose the  caboose

on Feb 17th, 2007, 9:55am, anthonyd_SRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
really nice work moose. that caboose looks great

Anthony

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #394 on: Feb 18th, 2007, 10:39pm »

I'm lookin forward to that moose

Anthony

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #395 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 7:26pm »

Look'in Good.  What are you going to do with the inside?  Is it going to be storage, detailed, batteries, supplies?  Just wondering.  Nice Work.

Dean
Cornwall_RR
Historian
  P2270003M.jpg - 443936 Bytes
« Reply #396 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 11:43am »

Pockets,

Are those photos you posted several pages back of the open air cars for the Mount Gretna Narrow Gauge?  I found this not too long ago when I was going through the Cornwall Iron Furance archives.  It is a copy of the drawings for the MGNG's passenger cars.  I can give you a better scan once I can get to my home scanner.

-Mark

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (443936 bytes, 1536x1152 pixels)

Click Here to View Image P2270003M.jpg - 443936 Bytes

Cornwall Railroad Historian
RCT&HS Member & Volunteer
Co Moderator of the Reading & Northern board

"Don't overlook the shortlines - Bigger isn't always better!"
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #397 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 1:52pm »

hi all,

the wm and ej&e cabooses  travelled to the bcrr this past week with pockets and me!  i got some great compliments and helpful comments from some very accomplished modelers and live steamers.  as i suspected would happen, i learned of some new techniques from them and was able to assist others in their pursuit of car-building.  we had a blast with the bcrr crew and families!  many thanks to bruce, bobby, ron, and the rest for assisting pete make this dream railroad the premier road in florida and one to which all others will look to for inspiration!   ...and the dream isn't complete yet!  what the bcrr thread for more developments!

dean, welcome the live steam threads!  glad to have you here.  to answer your question about the interiors of the cars that i build.  for the most part, the cars are left open for their new owners to decide.  the wm caboose is no different, it will soon be in the hands of it's owner (today)!  within this year, there will be one project that will have a full interior.  it will also appear in a national publication.  like many who are reading these posts, i'm a live steamer at the beginning of converting from 'modern' motive power to that of the living, breathing live steam machinery of the 19th century.  i'm in the process of gathering machinery, parts, and castings for my steamer, one railcar at a time!

mark!  you'll find that you've just got one of the warmest welcomes from any of us by causing pockets' jaw to slam to the floor with your post of mt gretna equipment!!!!!  please continue to post anything mt gretna on these pages!  if you can't reach pockets, please forward to me and i'll see that he gets them!   wonderful...wonderful stuff!   on behalf of pockets...WOW!

to all:

i know i haven't posted the latest pictures of the wm caboose...sorry, i've been in an absolute rush!  i'll take some pictures at the track today and tomorrow.  they will be posted soon!

moose the caboose

on Feb 27th, 2007, 11:43am, Cornwall_RR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Pockets,

Are those photos you posted several pages back of the open air cars for the Mount Gretna Narrow Gauge?  I found this not too long ago when I was going through the Cornwall Iron Furance archives.  It is a copy of the drawings for the MGNG's passenger cars.  I can give you a better scan once I can get to my home scanner.

-Mark

Cornwall_RR
Historian
  P2270004M.jpg - 470296 Bytes
« Reply #398 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 5:48pm »

I am glad to help you out Pockets.  Since I cannot get to a scanner right now I took some close ups of the previously posted and left the photos big to try to preserve the detail.  Enjoy!

-Mark

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (470296 bytes, 1536x1152 pixels)

Click Here to View Image P2270004M.jpg - 470296 Bytes

Cornwall_RR
Historian
  P2270005M.jpg - 404728 Bytes
« Reply #399 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 5:49pm »

End detail.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (404728 bytes, 1536x1152 pixels)

Click Here to View Image P2270005M.jpg - 404728 Bytes

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »