Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 10:48am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29298 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose
  wm_caboose_1-28-07_018.jpg - 119600 Bytes
« Reply #360 on: Jan 28th, 2007, 8:03pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

starting to close in on most of the roof detail.  here's a look at how the wm caboose looks tonight.  the paint is still too wet to touch, so i'll wait 'til it's cured (the outside temp is lower, so the wait will be longer) to remove the masting tape.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_1-28-07_018.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2007, 8:04pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_1-28-07_002.jpg - 116336 Bytes
« Reply #361 on: Jan 28th, 2007, 8:07pm »

hi all,

here's a photo without the cupola in the way.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_1-28-07_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_1-28-07_029.jpg - 105952 Bytes
« Reply #362 on: Jan 28th, 2007, 8:11pm »

hi all,

and a photo of some of the detail to come.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_1-28-07_029.jpg
Click Image to Resize

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #363 on: Jan 28th, 2007, 8:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

George, I have been meaning to ask you. How do you attach that special roofing material? And do you paint it black before or after you attach it?  Bobby

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #364 on: Jan 28th, 2007, 9:54pm »

hi bobby,

you can do it both ways.  in my case, the roofing material is applied over a wet (primer - like stainkillz)paint, then painted in (make sure the material gets soaked through) on top.  i like the white color to help me find areas that didn't stick as well as it should.  it is easier to come back with a glue like titebond ii.  

moose the caboose

on Jan 28th, 2007, 8:43pm, B+MNW21201 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
George, I have been meaning to ask you. How do you attach that special roofing material? And do you paint it black before or after you attach it?  Bobby

pockets
Historian

« Reply #365 on: Jan 29th, 2007, 9:58am »

George.
That roofwalk is looking pretty good. I see you went with the four board variation that you were talking about.

Obwan wanted to know about building curved roofs. Click this link and scroll down.

http://www.setbb.com/wwfmuseum/viewtopic.php?t=215&mforum=wwfmuseum

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_2-1-07_005.jpg - 117874 Bytes
« Reply #366 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 9:30pm »

hi all,

tonight, i'm posting a couple of pictures of the main body painting process.  the weather has been uncooperative, so i'm doing sections of it as time and tempurature allow.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_2-1-07_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_2-1-07_012.jpg - 120712 Bytes
« Reply #367 on: Feb 1st, 2007, 9:33pm »

hi all,

here's a view of tonight's activity.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_2-1-07_012.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_2-10-07_004.jpg - 121944 Bytes
« Reply #368 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 9:07pm »

hi all,

i finally got a good day in the shop!  lots of stuffed happened today.  i wanted to do something different for the grab-irons than what i usually do.  building in 1 1/2 inch scale has it's up's and down's.  for instance, if you build in 2 1/2 inch scale or higher, you 'create' the necessary hardware just as the 1' to 1's do.  it really should work as intended.  in 1 1/2 inch scale, you're too large to be able to use all the 'goody' parts available for the smaller scales, but your detail building techniques are much the same...except larger.  to do what i do, i have to set goals for what i want to accomplish.  today i wanted to get the main body paint completed and ready for detail.  did i get it done?  yes, and no,  it is painted, but there are some areas that still need to be trim painted.  there are a couple of areas that have to be 'spot' painted to sharpen the total job.  here's a view of today's activity.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_2-10-07_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_2-10-07_014.jpg - 115192 Bytes
« Reply #369 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 9:53pm »

hi all,

as i said above, i wanted to do something different for the grab-irons than what i usually do.  the usual technique most people use is to bend 1/8 inch brass welding rod into the desired shape of grab-irons, platform rails and coupler-cut bar(if applied, most don't).  personally, i like using 1/8 inch brass rod for platform rails (for their sturdiness), but prefer 1/16 inch and 3/32 inch rod for grab-irons and other safety appliances.  for those items that are protected (from clumsy real people), i like using 1/16 inch rod.  why? because even though the car is scale, your visual vantage point is constantly changing.  while 1/16 inch rod doesn't scale out to the usual 3/4 inch grab-iron, it looks better than 3/32 inch rod when both are painted.  it's the visual cueing again, it may be wrong, but your eyes think it's right.  again, that's the up's and down's of building in 1 1/2 inch scale .  as you go to larger scales, it makes damn good sense to build more to operation like the 1 to 1's.  

there's something to be said for building 'museum' detail quality,  for generations to come (yes, your models will generally outlast you), your model may be the only example in existence of what the 1 to 1's did.  once you start building, hopefully you will continue to develop your skills to do more and more detailed work.  citing the rough handling most equipment gets in the hobby, most people stop at a rudimentary level of detailing or rely on commercially available detail parts (most are out of scale or are not used universally by all the railroads).  for myself, i'd like to continue to challenging my work skills to create better levels of detail than i've done previously.  

okay, enough palaver, here's a picture of how i made some of my grab-irons.  the 1/16 inch brass rod doesn't like being bent to 90 degrees, so it was heated to just before a cherry red then quinched.  it was then bent into the shape i needed and the ends re-heated prior to being flattened.  with 4 grab-irons shaped and the ends drilled, i 'pointed' the ends of 8 pieces of 1/16x3/4 inch rod and placed them in a jig.  the grab-irons were set into place and soldered.  practice makes prefect, the picture is of one of my rejects.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_2-10-07_014.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2007, 8:35pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_2-10-07_010.jpg - 132336 Bytes
« Reply #370 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 9:58pm »

hi all,

here's picture of the completed grab-irons in paint.  more details coming tomorrow!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_2-10-07_010.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #371 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 8:26am »

Very, very nice. Damfine work, my friend.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_2-11-07_005.jpg - 109692 Bytes
« Reply #372 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 8:30pm »

hi all,

today was a good day in the shop.  most of the paint issues were taken care of, but there's still some touch up items left on the list.  those will have to wait until the new paint surfaces have cured.  most of the roof construction is complete with minor details to come.  i'm about half way on the grab-iron details and have a fair start on the platform railings.  here's a picture of where it's at tonight...almost there!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_2-11-07_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_2-11-07_010.jpg - 125216 Bytes
« Reply #373 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 8:34pm »

hi all,

speaking of roof details, here's how it looks now.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_2-11-07_010.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_2-11-07_019.jpg - 129654 Bytes
« Reply #374 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 8:43pm »

hi all,

i've made and painted all the corner grab-irons, but still have more to go.  there are eight more just guarding the platform windows and all most as many on the roof.  here's how 2 of them turned out.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_2-11-07_019.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2007, 8:42pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #375 on: Feb 11th, 2007, 10:25pm »

George, you are setting new standards with every car you build. Very nice work. It is an ecouragement to all of us that want a fine detailed car but are not very proficient with welding that such results can be achieved in wood. Thanks and keep up the great work.  

Bobby

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #376 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 6:17pm »

AWSOME AWSOME pics. That caboose looks great

Anthony

livesteamsteve
Railfan

« Reply #377 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 7:07pm »

Beautiful work Moose....keep it up!!!  One car I would love to see modeled in 1.5" scale that is rare is the Heinz Pickle Car.

http://www.westerfield.biz/it160008.jpg

Steve

Got Steam!!!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #378 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 8:33pm »

Steve,

I know you might find this hard to believe but that car has been modeled and Moose and I both knew the "gentleman live steamer" that owned it. The man was  
Mr. John Cassady, and the car was given to him as a gift from a very accomplished modeler in 1.5 scale back in the early seventys. In 2003, I saw the pickle car still in his shop after his passing when I purchased his only red caboose and one of his gons from his son.

This is an all wood car. John never ran it for fear of damageing it some how. I'm sure George T. will remember it.

Take care,  

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #379 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 9:16pm »

hi all,

bruce, i'd almost forgotten about that car!  thank you for reminding me!  for a long time, i wondered what happened to that car and even now hope that his family kept it as a treasured momento.  i'd hate to find that someone got the car only for parts or profit (it happens doesn't it bruce).  i'm not sure, but the name norm gacy comes to mind as the builder.  there were many of the 'old' folks in the hobby that just built the most exquisite equipment, my appologies if i've named the wrong builder, but that car, so delicately built.....was to drool over!

steve, why don't you build it?  pennsylvania produced a lot of pickles, it would be a natural for the p.l.s. to have a complete pickle train!  man, i can't wait to see you get started!  there's enough info in this thread alone to get you through the early construction phases, the rest is just using your research and imagination.  how about it!

to all, many thanks for your compliments and visits to this thread.  it means alot to hear of projects contemplated and under-taken because of what you read here on railfan.   there maybe other forums to check out in your journey in the live steam hobby, but we thank you for making us your first stop!

by the middle of next week, the wm caboose will be finished.  so, what will the next project be?  i guess you'll have to keep checking here to find out!

moose the caboose

on Feb 12th, 2007, 8:33pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Steve,

I know you might find this hard to believe but that car has been modeled and Moose and I both knew the "gentleman live steamer" that owned it. The man was  
Mr. John Cassady, and the car was given to him as a gift from a very accomplished modeler in 1.5 scale back in the early seventys. In 2003, I saw the pickle car still in his shop after his passing when I purchased his only red caboose and one of his gons from his son.

This is an all wood car. John never ran it for fear of damageing it some how. I'm sure George T. will remember it.

Take care,  

Bruce

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »