Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 1:13pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29084 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose
  wm_caboose_1-10-07_007.jpg - 125894 Bytes
« Reply #340 on: Jan 10th, 2007, 8:01pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

the photo below is a better view of where i was yesterday(left hand side) as compared where i am today(right hand side and previous photo).  i wouldn't want to see this car 're-kitified', that's why we keep harping on having a steel centersill.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_1-10-07_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #341 on: Jan 11th, 2007, 7:13pm »

hi all,

today, i was able to make some progress on the 'b' end draft gear details.  i'll show the photos as soon as the 'a' end is done.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #342 on: Jan 12th, 2007, 12:11pm »

Moose,

I was looking through the pictures in this thread, and... Man! You do some nice work!

Those cabooses are beautiful! Keep up the great craftsmanship!  

Joe...  

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #343 on: Jan 12th, 2007, 5:22pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Moose,

Couldn't help but chime in here...DANG you do some outstanding work.  I don't believe any company can match the quality of work that you create.  Like Joe said above, the craftmanship on your miniature railroad equipment is phenomenal.  Keep up the great work my friend.

-Colin

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #344 on: Jan 12th, 2007, 6:13pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Moose,

The qualtiy of that cat is AWSOME. you were born to make cars

Anthony

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_1-12-07_005.jpg - 126828 Bytes
« Reply #345 on: Jan 12th, 2007, 8:33pm »

hi all,

thanks fo the compliments guys.  i've been doing this for a while.  with each new project,  i try to improve on my knowledge and skills.  everything that i do, you can do.  the projects are simple.  yes, i know, easy for me to say.  look at the western maryland caboose, it's basic shape is still a box.  if you take your time, invest it in good materials and careful planning, you will be rewarded with a nice project when you are done.  

ride-on scale projects take time and patience.  that's part of the fun!  they aren't weekend projects (those that make them that way are rewarded with that which looks and operates like a weekend project).  when built and maintained with care, your project will out-live you.  
(Hey bruce, if you've got a good pic of john cassidy's pf&e caboose,  we can show them why.)  john cassidy was/is one of my heroes in the hobby.  he meant some much to us here in florida, he was a live steam pioneer and mentor to many a youngster in the hobby.

a lot of people 'buy' equipment and have the pride of ownership, but a builder is rewarded twice over...the joy of building and the pride of watching others enjoying your work as it rolls down the tracks.  it all starts by making a little sawdust.  when you get past the point of 'i think i can', to 'i know i can', you are well on your way to being done!  bruce, myself, pockets, and the others are here to help, our mentors would want it that way.

okay, here's a photo of the 'b' end with most of the rough details in place.  the fine details will be added just before the caboose is finished.  will show more of the details later.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_1-12-07_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_1-12-07_013.jpg - 121054 Bytes
« Reply #346 on: Jan 12th, 2007, 8:38pm »

hi all,

the 'a' end finally got more attention today, here's a look at it now!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_1-12-07_013.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_1-17-07_009.jpg - 123382 Bytes
« Reply #347 on: Jan 17th, 2007, 7:05pm »

hi all,

decided to complete most of the underframe fit-up today.  as i mentioned earlier, due to the older trucks (33" scale wheels) i had to add a 5/8" bolster pad to the frame.  that addition necessitated the need for bolster pads to limit side-to-side rocking motion.  that task has been accomplished!  the side-to-side motion has been limited to + or - 1/8" from horizontal lateral for a total of 1/4".  doesn't sound like much, but translated from the vertical center of the car, it works (in conjunction with the truck suspension)!  if your trucks are sprung too stiff, now would be a good time to settle that problem.

the bolster pads are also a wear-point and may need replacing in the future.  the pads shown in the picture are bolted on for ease of future replacement.  the cars i build tend to get a lot of running time (hour upon hour).  yours may not, so the wear and replacement time for you may be extended to years...if ever.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_1-17-07_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_1-17-07_011.jpg - 123808 Bytes
« Reply #348 on: Jan 17th, 2007, 7:09pm »

hi all,

here's a better view.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_1-17-07_011.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #349 on: Jan 17th, 2007, 8:28pm »

Moosey,
Good progress!

Nit Picks: 1) 33" wheels are the proper size for all, but fairly recent, freight and    caboose wheels.

2) A body bolster has a "squashed pentagon" shape and a center casting that combine to take up the space filled by the ubiquitous stack of washers or, in this case, 5/8" spacer.

3) Try cutting a piece of flattened tin can stock, to fit, and Gorilla Glue or tack (outside the rub radius) it to your side bearings. It will add immeasurably to it's life.

Greg - cowering in the corner waiting to be struck - B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_1-19-07_003.jpg - 110794 Bytes
« Reply #350 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 8:55pm »

hi all...and pockets too!

ya just gotta push me, don't cha?!  that's okay, you be drafted for a board-on-board project later this year!

for those who don't know, pockets and i know each other very well.  one of the points of modeling that i've absorbed from him is that at some time in the future, our models may be the only point of reference generations to come have of 'ole time' railroading.  if we build them right, our models stand a good chance of out-lasting us.  so, the more detail that you can logically build into a model, the more accurate reference it will be.  for the type of detail he likes to build, 1 1/2" scale is a bit fragile.  he's currently building in 3 3/4" scale as narrow gauge.  quite awesome!  

at some point in the near future, i will also build a few projects in the larger scales (same gauge).  it is for that reason, as well as friendship, that you see him pushing for a higher degree of detail and skill development.  like anything else in life, skill development is a journey started by taking one step at a time, one project at a time.  go back to the beginning of this thread and you can see my journey from beginning to now.  this thread is about learning...yours and mine.  it's a journey to be shared, so let's make some sawdust!

today, a little more progress was made on the wm caboose.  in the picture below, it's time to get the body ready for paint.  that means that it has to be primed and sealed.  just about all the priming/sealing work will be completed by sunday afternoon.  here in florida, we are about due for a weather change.  to help keep the body dimensionally stable (even plywood changes with humidity), all the exposed surfaces need to be sealed.

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

on Jan 17th, 2007, 8:28pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Moosey,
Good progress!

Nit Picks: 1) 33" wheels are the proper size for all, but fairly recent, freight and         caboose wheels.

2) A body bolster has a "squashed pentagon" shape and a center casting that combine to take up the space filled by the ubiquitous stack of washers or, in this case, 5/8" spacer.

3) Try cutting a piece of flattened tin can stock, to fit, and Gorilla Glue or tack (outside the rub radius) it to your side bearings. It will add immeasurably to it's life.

Greg - cowering in the corner waiting to be struck - B.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_1-19-07_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_1-19-07_008.jpg - 159130 Bytes
« Reply #351 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 9:02pm »

hi all,

okay, if you think that priming and sealing was all i got done today, check out the roof work.
a little more work on the walk supports, then it will also be primed and painted.

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_1-19-07_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_1-19-07_021.jpg - 115524 Bytes
« Reply #352 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 9:07pm »

hi all,

one last picture for tonight.  here's a hint of how the model will look when finished.  the windows have been torn apart and rebuilt, but there's still some finish work to be done before they can be installed.

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_1-19-07_021.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #353 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 11:02pm »

And it's about time...I've even left your phone alone so you could get something done!

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #354 on: Jan 22nd, 2007, 9:06pm »

hi all,

a little more progress tonight!  some of the trim detail have started to make their way to the car body.  the doors jambs are now trimmed and i'm in the process of getting the porch area ready for flooring.  the endsills are also receiving their bolt detail.

pictures tomorrow!

moose the caboose

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_1-23-07_007.jpg - 122178 Bytes
« Reply #355 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 9:35pm »

hi all,

here's a photo of the door jamb trim and a hint of the endsill/draft gear bolt detail.

enjoy!

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_1-23-07_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_1-23-07_004.jpg - 121554 Bytes
« Reply #356 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 9:43pm »

hi all,

on the porch beam detail, i had a choice of single beam or multiple (some cabooses started out life as boxcars, the porches were added on) beams.  i chose multple for the endsill bolt pattern interest.  here's a photo of the beam detail.  the bolt detail isn't far off.

enjoy!

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_1-23-07_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #357 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 1:23am »

Damfine work, George, but if you say porch one more time, I'm gonna throw a coupler knuckle at you (1-1/2" scale of course)! Your house has a porch. That caboose has two PLATFORMS.....mumbling and shaking head, "Ya buy 'em books an' send 'em ta school....."

Greg

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_1-26-07_010.jpg - 175467 Bytes
« Reply #358 on: Jan 26th, 2007, 9:35pm »

hi all,

here's a photo of the progress as of last night.  the porc...platform flooring is down on the 'a' end, the endsill mounting holes are being filled, and the draft gear bolt detail is underway.  btw, the 'a' end windows have been modified for use and are ready for paint.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on Jan 24th, 2007, 1:23am, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Damfine work, George, but if you say porch one more time, I'm gonna throw a coupler knuckle at you (1-1/2" scale of course)! Your house has a porch. That caboose has two PLATFORMS.....mumbling and shaking head, "Ya buy 'em books an' send 'em ta school....."

Greg

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_1-26-07_010.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_1-26-07_005.jpg - 172032 Bytes
« Reply #359 on: Jan 26th, 2007, 9:45pm »

hi all,

here's closer view of the mock-up of the draft gear bolt detail.  still in rough condition and minus the spacer detail, i did promise to show you how i do things.  the copper wire is only a place-holder for the time being.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_1-26-07_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »