Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 6:26pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29273 times)
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose

« Reply #300 on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 2:14pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Great pics Moose and you did a great job on the bobber caboose
~AnthonyD~

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #301 on: Dec 3rd, 2006, 9:42pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi anthony!

thanks for the compliment!  it means alot to know that others appreciate the work involved and the learning curve it takes to do a better job with each new project.  there are more projects in the works.  i'm still working on the wm caboose (it make not look like much is happening, but i'm trying to develop some new skills to be able to show you a finished product) refining the windows and step-units.  it simply takes time, so when you start your project, know that this is part of the creative process to building a nice looking railcar.  don't be in a hurry!  building is fun!

part of the learning curve is talking to others.  the 'moose meadows' manor and family lean-to had the pleasure of mr and mrs pockets visiting today!  aside from an emergency call earlier in the morning (mrs moose said that it really wasn't an emergency, but the house was on fire...from the ac air handler motor, could i come home?  want do you think?!  no real damage, but the attic was hot...ask pockets!).  we had a splendid time during their visit!  i learned some more about metalcraft and cleaned out some of my workspace to boot!  hmm, i thought i heard their car scrape bottom as the motored down the street.  

pcokets, may the foam be with you!  lololo!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on Nov 23rd, 2006, 2:14pm, anthonyd_SRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Great pics Moose and you did a great job on the bobber caboose
~AnthonyD~

pockets
Historian

« Reply #302 on: Dec 4th, 2006, 9:29am »

Yes, we were out to Moose Hollow (you have to know this guy to appreciate him for the Cracker he really is),yesterday and had a great time. He has been cleaning out his shop and I have recieved some "treasures" as gifts and made some  "arrangements" regarding a 3-3/4" scale Critter. The dragging sound was caused by the weight of a vft boiler (more later).

Thanks for the hospitality, Mr. & Mrs. Moose and herd.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
W.G McAdoo
Former Member

« Reply #303 on: Dec 5th, 2006, 12:54am »

Moose: Our good friend Bruce brought to my attention the outstanding work that you've accomplished. Well, after seeing just a few pictures of your meticulous, magnificent work, all I can say is "WOW!!" Moose, you are, quite honestly, a "craftsman's craftsman"......the intricate and minute detail you've put into these truly outstanding models is nothing short of breathtaking. I'm truly at a loss for words (and for yours truly to be at a loss for words is rare enough to begin with!!) I'm beyond impressed, my friend, and, in fact, I actually feel HONORED to have seen even a few examples of your rare and superlative craftsmanship!! Keep up the great work, my friend!! You certainly do the hobby proud!!  John

pockets
Historian

« Reply #304 on: Dec 11th, 2006, 10:56pm »

C'mon, George. It's time to get off your cracker butt and back in the shop. Everything that was in your way, in your shop, except the Styrofoam, is headed for Alabama. I showed you how to save those brass steps and the rest is just sticks and paint...Let's go!

You get one 3-3/4" scale critter and the we ween you to solid fuel. We gotta get you away from all those free electrons. This is gonna be the quietest Model T pickup around. I just can't decide whether to do it with or without fenders....That's some fairly fancy tin knocking.

That boiler, sitting on the kitchen counter, looks like one o' them cappu....cappo...fancy coffee machines.

For all you guys who peruse these threads; You've come to know a little about Bruce. He's a hell of a guy and I love him like a brother. Moosey, here, is another. He's one of the handful of truely good people that we each meet on our trip through life. George is a pretty good sized individual and it's all heart. He's always helping someone (in ways beyond the scope of this forum) and is a natural teacher. George is "wicked smart", but can hide it well and is a true Southern, Christian gentleman. I'm proud to call him friend.

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #305 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 9:28pm »

hi all!

okay! i'll be back in the shop this weekend to start some new step-units.  will post some pictures of the journey into metals!  pockets, there's still a few blocks of styrofoam left...i'm holding it for you! lol!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2006, 9:30pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #306 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 11:14pm »

Greg,

Thanks for the nice compliments, that I'm not sure I deserve. I only wish I had your fabricating background.  
   Friends, Greg hides his abilities under a bucket don'tcha know. Pockets is absolutely correct about George, being a craftsman and a "cracker" that is. He is one of the few REAL Floridians that still exist. Unlike myself, who is an adopted " Florida cracker".
   For myself, I am always antsy waiting for another of moose's cabeese. And I hope I'm not too old to enjoy that 3 3/4 scale Mt. Gretna 4-4-0 that Greg is starting on.  
   BTW, Greg, can i have a mocha,chocko, layte expresso from that coffee machine
(boiler) you have there. Please hold the water conditioner, heh,heh,heh.

Take care,

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #307 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 8:53am »

Bruce,
My wife, who probably has "African Queen" memorized, asked if she could draw tea water from it, like  Bogey. I told her that she'd most likely only do it once....

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2006, 8:56am by pockets » Logged

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #308 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 10:39am »

Hi Greg,

Obviously you haven't been listening to your wife. Bogey did not make tea with the water from the boiler, he was using feed water and added copious quantities of Gin to it. Promptly got himself good and smashed and woke up to see Kathryn Hepburn dumping his Gin into the River. We all cried when we saw that one.  

Now then, from a chemical purity standpoint, removing hot water from a live steamer would have some hazards. However, if the steamer was in regular use and lots of water were being boiled off on a daily basis, the hot water would be fairly "pure", or as pure as the River water would allow. If she likes her tea strong, you would get away with it. Now, how about the lemon ? Personally, since I have both a lemon tree and a lime tree, I prefer the lime, less tart.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #309 on: Dec 24th, 2006, 6:14pm »

hi all,

it's been some time since i posted last.  all excuses aside, there are some new developments in the shop.  i'll post some pictures before new years.

moose the caboose

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #310 on: Dec 24th, 2006, 6:55pm »

looking forward to those pics
Merry Christmas
Anthony

pockets
Historian

« Reply #311 on: Dec 24th, 2006, 7:43pm »

Well, it's about time.... See ya Tuesday,

Pennsy, I shed a tear, too. It could have been worse... It might have been bourbon!
Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #312 on: Dec 27th, 2006, 11:43pm »

This might seem trivial, but realism (like the devil) is in the details. The proper color for freight and passenger car wheels is RUST. The FRA and it's predecessors, prohibit the painting of wheels used on freight or passenger cars. Paint can cover cracks and change the tone the carman hears when he smacks that puppy with his hammer.

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #313 on: Dec 28th, 2006, 7:10pm »

hi all!

wonder if i could get a large quantity of rust-colored paint?!  hmmm....

back in the shop today and made some progress on the wm caboose.  gotta chance to make some metal dust and burn some holes in the centersill.  before this week, i had help from a few friends (yes, including pockets) in welding up my underframes.  i'm now equiped to manufacture my own.  my first efforts today weren't bad considering my lack of skill (boy! a die grinder sure comes in handy.).  practice makes perfect, i'll get better as time goes on and the new tank of argon arrives.

tomorrow will see the completion of the underframe.  i'll post photos of my progress soon.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2006, 7:13pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_12-30-06_003.jpg - 65437 Bytes
« Reply #314 on: Dec 30th, 2006, 5:56pm »

hi all!

progress has been made!  it began a couple of days ago with the cutting of pieces to make the underframe (centersill).  shown in the photo below is the fit-up of the pieces that make up the truck bolster.  the pieces already welded to the end of the centersil are of the eye-bolt anchors for the safety chains.  safety chains are now required by most live steam clubs across the country, so, might as well build them in from the beginning rather than retro-fitting!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_12-30-06_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_12-30-06_004.jpg - 57687 Bytes
« Reply #315 on: Dec 30th, 2006, 6:05pm »

hi all!

in the photo below, the centersill is almost complete.  when welding is done, it is being cleaned up and de-burred.  it will also be de-greased (the oil on your hands will make painting a less the happy occaision) prior to being painted with primer.

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_12-30-06_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_12-30-06_008.jpg - 63057 Bytes
« Reply #316 on: Dec 30th, 2006, 6:08pm »

hi all!

the completed centersill and wm caboose together!

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_12-30-06_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  wm_caboose_12-30-06_019.jpg - 37902 Bytes
« Reply #317 on: Dec 30th, 2006, 6:14pm »

hi all!

here's the completed centersill in primer coat.  i'll wait 72 hours for it to cure before decided whether to sand and re-coat or proceed to top coat (black).

enjoy,

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/wm_caboose_12-30-06_019.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #318 on: Dec 30th, 2006, 10:31pm »

Y'all could stop right now....Trucks n couplers an' ya got a log car.... Yep, I really do know people who would buy into that

Greg B.

PS: 'bout durned time.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #319 on: Dec 30th, 2006, 10:39pm »

What size wire are you running in Thomas, er...., your welder?

Greg

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »