Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 22nd, 2017, 2:37am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29138 times)
pockets
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose

« Reply #280 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 8:14pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

That's a sharp lookin' caboose, George. Alex should really enjoy it and every year, about this time, he can put it on the front porch with a candle inside.....

Thanks for the pic, Moosey,
Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #281 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 1:05pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Moose, at the risk of sounding redundant, it looks great. (as usual)

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_10-31-06_006.jpg - 54139 Bytes
« Reply #282 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 7:39pm »

hi all,

bobby and pockets, thanks for the compliments!  with all the 'visitors' tonight, i started giving a passing thought to a round 'punkin' cab...naugh!  nobody would believe it!  

today, i got the chance to work on the end railings and some of the finishing hardware issues.  here's a photo of how it turned out.  a little more filing then they can be primed and painted.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_10-31-06_006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_10-31-06_002.jpg - 63894 Bytes
« Reply #283 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 7:43pm »

hi all,

here's another view from the side.  more work to do, but gettin' ever closer to being done!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_10-31-06_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_halloween_pumpkin_bobber_caboose_10-31-06_002.jpg - 48745 Bytes
« Reply #284 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 8:17pm »

oh well, couldn't resist!  my pumpkin lives due to the artistry of the good folks at halloween costumes and decorations inc.  good folks to know if you're looking for stuff like that.  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_halloween_pumpkin_bobber_caboose_10-31-06_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_11-05-06_004.jpg - 103754 Bytes
« Reply #285 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 6:55pm »

hi all,

the past week became a blur...time flew by!  i was able to finish alex's bobber caboose to the point that i could deliver it to him on saturday.  in a couple of months, it will return to the shop for the addition of the lanterns, ladders, decals, and installation of the windows his family is currently painting.  

those that know alex, often find him quiet and shy.  he was that way on saturday.  how do i know that he liked what he saw?  i caught him taking pictures of it!  he's earned the right to be proud of himself, he's come a long way from when we first met him.

as i promised, here's a picture of him with his caboose.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_11-05-06_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_11-05-06_022.jpg - 70836 Bytes
« Reply #286 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 7:02pm »

hi all,

here's another of view of alex and his bobber caboose...i didn't plan this shot, but it did turn out quite interesting.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_11-05-06_022.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #287 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 7:07pm »

hi all,

with the bobber caboose out of the shop for awhile, the wabash caboose is getting it's end doors finished and some minor repairs done to the side doors.  it will enjoy some time down at the bcrr this weekend!

for those who've been waiting for the wm caboose to return to the build table, it's there!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #288 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 4:49pm »

George,

Those are some very nice photos. I'm sure Alex will enjoy the bobber. BTW, the work you did looks just fine my friend.

Take care,

Bruce

ps

Let me know what you arrieval time is and on which day, OK.

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #289 on: Nov 12th, 2006, 2:24pm »

George, it was a real pleasure to see you at the BCRR this weekend. Thanks for bringing the Wabash with you. I have always thought your talents and craftsmanship were great by the photo's here, but seeing that caboose up close I can only say that the photo's do not do your work justice. The work is exquisite!  

Bobby

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_226.jpg - 70868 Bytes
« Reply #290 on: Nov 17th, 2006, 6:33pm »

hi all,

bobby, it was my pleasure entirely!  visiting other railroads is one of the joys of live steaming.  in this case, it was also a very special time for me...to have my work in the company of the most august and respected caboose of john cassady.  bruce and i both have fond memories of this special live steamer and his family.

here's a picture from the visit...btw the erie is in the foreground to the right.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_226.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_328.jpg - 81482 Bytes
« Reply #291 on: Nov 17th, 2006, 6:45pm »

hi all,

speaking of the live steam family, here it is again ahead of ben's nyc passenger cars.  i'm as thrilled to see these cars as i am to see the possum flats & eastern.  ben is one of the guys who got my 0-6-0 english tank engine off the shelf and onto the rails.  when i first saw his nyc cars, i'd seen plenty of kit-built cabooses.  he taught me that i could do something out of the norm and have something unique.  ben's work is all that and more!  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_328.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_329.jpg - 107746 Bytes
« Reply #292 on: Nov 17th, 2006, 7:12pm »

hi all,

many thanks to the bcrr crew for pulling out ben's nyc passenger cars for me.  the live steam hobby has made room for just about every level of builder/hobbyist.  ben's cars are a revelation of builder technique.  in the hobby, they are lovingly known as 'ten or twenty-footers', meaning that they look exquisite from ten or twenty feet away.  the closer you get, the more you can see the builder's technique.  ben didn't start building his cars until he retired (and he's still building)...i'm doubly impressed at the work he did and is doing!  a hand for super-fine detail he didn't have, but sheer number of details he built from scratch will blow you away.  it didn't bother him that some of the items used weren't on the real equipment or what the rivot counters would say.  it was his equipment to use, display, and teach others that they could do what ever their heart desired.  amen, ben, it's one of the most important lessons that i've learned from you.  

while others are happy with kits, i'll challenge myself to build one-of-a-kind equipment that bring joy, smiles, or maybe a head-scratch to all that see it.  thank you, ben, for taking the time to show me the path that leads me on.

here's a pic of one of the cars that got me out into the shop and making sawdust.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_329.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2006, 7:14pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_330.jpg - 109403 Bytes
« Reply #293 on: Nov 17th, 2006, 7:18pm »

hi all,

here's another picture of one of ben's cars.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_330.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_331.jpg - 108311 Bytes
« Reply #294 on: Nov 17th, 2006, 7:21pm »

hi all,

here's another picture of yet another of ben's cars.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_331.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_332.jpg - 107382 Bytes
« Reply #295 on: Nov 17th, 2006, 7:24pm »

hi all,

and yet another of ben's cars.  btw, these cars are all hand-lettered!  a craft not done in many years!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_332.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_333.jpg - 83413 Bytes
« Reply #296 on: Nov 17th, 2006, 7:30pm »

hi all,

here's a picture of my favorite car...and the reason i started collecting 9" figures!  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_333.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_335.jpg - 80125 Bytes
« Reply #297 on: Nov 17th, 2006, 7:42pm »

hi all,

my background in theater taught me that a little imagination could bring smiles by the mile.  ben, my friend john b, and a few others reminded me of how much fun it is to have a scene that's 'over the top'.  this photo shows a little of what i mean.

again, the detail may not be super-scale, but the overall impact is simply AWESOME and inspiring!  it's proven to me time-and-again that you can put your hand to anything your heart desires you to.   that...is the beauty of ben's equipment and dreams.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/buckingham_central_rr_11-11-06_335.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #298 on: Nov 21st, 2006, 2:31pm »

hi all,

work on the wm caboose continues (sorry, no pictures yet).  i was able to get the steel for the centersill for this project and about three others...stay tuned!

will be working on my computer (ungrading) for a few days over the thanksgiving weekend, so have a great turkey day everybody!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2006, 2:37pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #299 on: Nov 21st, 2006, 5:37pm »

Happy Thanksgiving to you too George!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »