Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 10:42am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29297 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose
  jerry_wendts_commissary_car_repairs_9-10-06_004.jpg - 39384 Bytes
« Reply #220 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 6:16pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

greg, we're gonna get ya sooo familiar with posting pictures!

any way, here's a picture of the application of the fine wood filler.  for those who want to try it, it's elmer's glue product.  it comes in a squeeze tube and is much finer in texture than most wood fillers. in fact, it is more like a putty than filler.  apply liberally (not politically) and allow it to fully cure before working it.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/jerry_wendts_commissary_car_repairs_9-10-06_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_9-5-06_023.jpg - 19630 Bytes
« Reply #221 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 6:21pm »

hi all,

when you're done with the scraping and sanding, it'll look almost like it did before you applied the filler.  something like this, only what was the gap will be white.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_9-5-06_023.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  jerry_wendts_commissary_car_repairs_9-10-06_009.jpg - 58055 Bytes
« Reply #222 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 6:54pm »

hi all,

and when you're done and the paint's dry, you'll wind up with something like this.  depending on how well your paint hides, you might have a shadow line if it is thin, but you shouldn't be able to feel the joint with your finger.  

with the completion of the ledgerboard extensions, only minor paint touch-up remains for the repaired step-unit and the trucks.  it seems someone decided to remove the keeper pins from the truck kingpins.  since i use 1/2 inch bolts and nuts, it's important to use keeper pins to keep the nuts from spinning off.  the trucks have to read the track rather than the car.  everything about a truck has to be able to move, if only a little bit.  in this hobby, loosey-goosey is best unless a specific precision is required.  for the most part, it just can't be so loose as to fall a part.  

when they picked the car up(for what ever reason...sorry, human hands or any other hands are inappropriate for moving a railcar around in a yard), the trucks fell away and struck what looks like concrete (not to mention breaking the step-unit).  i'll work the dings out with a file and re-paint.  the brake piping will be an easy fix...just push the joints back together (i just love legris quick connect fittings)!    

next week, it will be out of the shop...again!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/jerry_wendts_commissary_car_repairs_9-10-06_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #223 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 9:37pm »

Hey, Moosey,
Looks real nice, as usual.

Back in the old days, when I was trying to make Ambroid kits look like steel, I brewed up a filler made of wood flour and shellac. Tough as nails, sanded better than wood glue and got smooth as a fresh spanked butt. It took paint well, too.

Next step in the evolution: : Those grab irons really want bolting flanges....Iknow, I know. I'm picking nits. However, for some reason, in that last photo it just jumped out at me.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  pass_cars_w_frt_cars-2-1-.jpg - 57808 Bytes
« Reply #224 on: Sep 12th, 2006, 7:21pm »

hi all,

bruce has been busy, so i've pasted a photo of a particular builder's cars from one of the other threads here so that we could discuss their construction...and how you might do it.  i'll grab some more photos later as i can get them from bruce.

the nyc cars are much too important not to talk about.  following some basic techniques, they could be built by a first or second time modeler.  

let me start by saying that the hobby is what you make it.  it is also a hobby of extremes.  at one end, some want exact replicas down to scale nuts and bolts, while at the other, all they want is something that rolls down the track (a plywood box would do).  what just about everyone in the hobby respects is a railcar that operates as intended.  in other words, it stays coupled and rides the rails without derailing.  in the modeling press, a lot of ink is given to models that are true to scale and well executed.  yes, they really are beautiful, but...there's always a but, some are finicky in operation.  sometimes, what is loose for the 1:1 railroads is too tight for live steam scales.

what impresses me is that a model rides and operates properly, no matter what it looks like.  to me, the nyc cars are jaw-dropping gorgeous.  to others, the detail may not be to their liking...tough!  all these cars were built on a lower budget than one car could have been purchased from a well known supplier to the hobby.  the builder is known personally to me, and yes, i'd give almost anything to call these cars mine.  why?  because when you get close to them, you can see how he did it.  this particular builder does it with his heart and mind.  he built what he wanted without a million dollar budget...that's impressive!  

your work doesn't have to be furniture perfect to be appreciated in the hobby, but it should show that you are learning and improving on each task you perform.  don't make the mistake that a snobbish few do by comparing your own work to some one else's as 'mine's better than... or their's is better than mine'.  you'll fail as some many others have.  encouragement is the best route to continued improvement.  remember, there's always someone better, why?  they took the time to learn from their mistakes and listened to the advice given by those who were there before them.  why such admiration of the nyc cars?  not only is the builder a friend, he's a mentor, a mechanic's sage, and a scratch-builder of steam engines.  on one of my first projects, i needed to make some side-rods for my engine.  the nyc builder took my chassis and said he'd make what i'd need.  he did, he also showed me how to do it for myself.  some of us are so slow (me in particular) that an item in hand is better than someone telling me how to do it.

for many of you, i can't be there to make the part (as my mentor did) so you can see how i did it, but i can post pictures of what i'm doing.  i hope as we post and discuss more photos of the nyc cars that you can begin to see how you too could build your dream consist.  pulling trains in this scale is fun.  pulling a train of your own creation is the absolute top of the world!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/pass_cars_w_frt_cars-2-1-.jpg
Click Image to Resize

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #225 on: Sep 12th, 2006, 8:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

George, Have you ever had to deal with "builders slump"?  mean when you are in a middle of a project but for one reason or another, the spark to finish just isn't there anymore? If so, how do you deal with it?  Bobby

pockets
Historian

« Reply #226 on: Sep 12th, 2006, 9:26pm »

Bobby,
I can't speak for others, but I have been building railroad models since 1973 and scratch building for almost that long. Scale railroading, like auto racing or any other labor intensive avocation, becomes more of a lifestyle than a hobby. Just like in our "real lives" we sometimes need a vacation. This can be a complete change of pace ( I drifted off into wooden boat and furniture building, for awhile. ) or something as simple as running parallel projects. Turning wheels makes me crazy. When I get that " gotta push to keep goin' " feeling, I go to the lathe and turn a couple of wheels. By the time I've done that, I WANT to get back to the baseline project!

Just my $0.02 worth,
Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #227 on: Sep 13th, 2006, 7:25pm »

hi all,

bobby, greg is right.  it happens to all of us.  go back through some of the posts in the past.  you'll find that 'life got in the way'.   the bobber caboose project should have been finished in december of last year.  like greg, i too try to keep several projects going to keep down the boredom.  it also helps to have friends like greg, bruce, and you guys to talk to on and off the list.  greg will tell you that i really get 'juiced up' after i've been over to see the latest work done on his 3 3/4 inch scale project.  i also get a kick from watching what you guys are doing on the bcrr.  talk about phenomenal work!

visiting others is a great way to take time away from the shop and still 'find the spark'.  i've got 3 projects in the shop now that will be done in a matter of weeks.  when the commissary car returns to the railroad, the ej&e caboose will ride home with me.  it and the wabash caboose will find their way down to the bcrr.  the ej&e will remain for a time so bruce's erie can come back with me.  when that happens, take a look at pete's nyc cab and the ej&e in a side-by-side comparison.  you'll find that they are built of similar materials along with similar techniques, yet, they're as different as night and day.  the nyc cars are another great example, you can see exactly how the builder did it...and did it well!  anything the average builder completes can be nitpicked to death.  that's why i look for the things that can improve my work even from a project completed by a first time builder.  

each of us are on our own journey, yet one that we share with others like you.  nobody has the same talents and sense of creativity, you shouldn't be held to my level of skills just i shouldn't be held to pete's level on a 'who's work is better than who's'.  i've set my own goals, unfortunately for me, i keep moving them farther along!  our hobby is great about respecting equipment that runs well, no matter how it looks.  that's the way it should be!  it never hurts to congratulate someone on a job well done when their project is complete.  it may be just what they need for the next project

right now, the raritan river caboose is the oldest project in the shop.  one that i haven't worked on in more than a year.  life got in the way!  the spark isn't gone, but the vision of it's final finish isn't complete in my mind.  there are some details that i'm going to add that i don't know how to do yet.  this afternoon, i cut the doors for all the projects that need them...so there is some progress on the raritan river.  

i used to build musical instruments.  sitting in my living room is the semi-finished body of a neck-through-the-body bass guitar.  it took me months to hand-carve the intricate work in it.  what's left?  incising the body for all the electronics.  the guitar has been there for more than 8 years.  at some point in the future my shop will be clear of my railroad projects and i'll take the time to finish it.  in the overall, it's good to let a project cool for a time.  sometimes you get so single-minded that you lose sight of possibilities for making a change for the better of your project.  like a breath of fresh air, you'll think to yourself, 'why did i ever not think to add this detail'?

i wish i didn't have to set deadlines, but to do what i do, i have to.  building railcars is a hobby, let it be a hobby.  the only deadline that you should set for your project is 'where do i stop'?  for some folks, running live steam equipment is the biggest thrill, yet for me, it's building and watching others have fun with what i've completed.  that also juices me up for the next project!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #228 on: Sep 14th, 2006, 8:25pm »

hi all,

as of tonight, the commissary car repairs are essentially complete.  the trucks have been filed and painted.  i was also able to locate new jam nuts and keeper pins.  hopefully, this time they will be left alone!  the trucks were re-installed and boy, do they look nice!  all that's left is re-installing the wire-work i removed in order to get to the places needed without destroying them.  i may freshen their paint, but that's all.

today, i was able to cut all of the catwalk boards and get them painted.  tomorrow afternoon should see alex's bobber caboose roof nearer to completion with the installation of the catwalks.  from there, i'll move back to finishing the detail on the cupola and installing the doors.  getting within days of being able to go back to work on the wabash caboose.  it needs some minor repairs and some new doors.

i will post more pictures tomorrow night.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_9-17-06_002.jpg - 46260 Bytes
« Reply #229 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 8:06pm »

hi all,

here's some more pictures of how the roof of alex's bobber caboose is coming.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_9-17-06_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_9-17-06_001.jpg - 58433 Bytes
« Reply #230 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 8:09pm »

hi all,

here's another picture of how the roof of alex's bobber caboose is coming.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_9-17-06_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  howards_wabash_caboose_9-17-06_002.jpg - 61275 Bytes
« Reply #231 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 8:13pm »

hi all,

the wabash caboose is back in the shop again for step-unit repair and new doors.  when it leaves the shop this time, it will briefly venture down to visit the bcrr.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/howards_wabash_caboose_9-17-06_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  howards_wabash_caboose_9-17-06_007.jpg - 46350 Bytes
« Reply #232 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 7:37pm »

hi all,

repair of the wabash caboose step-unit begins.   here's a picture of where it starts.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/howards_wabash_caboose_9-17-06_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_9-17-06_008.jpg - 59755 Bytes
« Reply #233 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 7:42pm »

hi all,

the roof catwalks are complete.  the wire-work begins, here's a photo of how it's coming.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_9-17-06_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_9-17-06_007.jpg - 61931 Bytes
« Reply #234 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 7:46pm »

hi all,

here's another view.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_9-17-06_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #235 on: Sep 20th, 2006, 7:44pm »

hi all,

work continues on the detailing of the 'b' end of the bobber caboose.  most of the wire-work is done and painted.  also, the wabash step-unit repairs are forging ahead.  will post photographs tomorrow.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #236 on: Sep 20th, 2006, 9:35pm »

Like Daddy always told me, "Every time you think of it, hurry..."  

Greg B.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #237 on: Sep 20th, 2006, 10:20pm »

George,

As always, you have done some REALLY nice work. I only wish I could wood butcher like that . Those cars are outstanding. I sure hope some of our brothers and sisters in the other scales take a gander at you work. Don't matter what scale, these are some NICE cars. Thanks so much for posting the pics.  

Greg,

I have'nt got a clew as to what the hell your talking about.

Take care,

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #238 on: Sep 21st, 2006, 6:36am »

Bruce,
George does. It has to do with his NEXT project...

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  howards_wabash_caboose_9-21-06_001.jpg - 52203 Bytes
« Reply #239 on: Sep 21st, 2006, 7:23pm »

hi all!

hey greg!  you're back up and ruining....er, running!  don't forget to phone home sometime!  

hi bruce, i sent ya a couple of pics via your regular email earlier in the week...enjoy!  btw the way, next year, i will do 2 projects off the list for privacy purposes, but your caboose, a pickle car, and the raritan caboose will be on the list.  i'm also supposed to do something for our friend with the raritan loco, but i haven't heard from him yet.

as if that isn't enough, i'm going to hang out a shingle that says 'will build railcars for a steam engine!'  i gotta get me one!  yeah, yeah, yeah greg, i know, once i have the steam engine, i'll be too tired to build cars for myself, lololol!

here's a picture of where the repair to the wabash caboose stood earlier today.

enjoy!

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/howards_wabash_caboose_9-21-06_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »