Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 11:13am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29059 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose
  alexs_bobber_caboose_9-5-06_014.jpg - 31707 Bytes
« Reply #200 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 6:46pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

earlier i said that i would post the results of the step-unit repair to the commissary car.  well, here it is.  a little bit of sanding and some paint touch-up is all that is required.   the photo is a little blurry but you can almost tell the point of fracture.  it will disappear when i'm finished.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_9-5-06_014.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_9-5-06_009.jpg - 67498 Bytes
« Reply #201 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 6:52pm »

hi all,

i also got to work on the ledgerboard extension.  here's a picture of how the glue-up went.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_9-5-06_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_9-5-06_017.jpg - 63652 Bytes
« Reply #202 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 7:01pm »

hi all,

blending old and new work together isn't easy, but can be done.  i cut the addition strips a 1/32 inch larger so that they could be sanded down to a matching thickness to the existing ledgerboard.  here's additional picture of the glue-up.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_9-5-06_017.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_9-5-06_019.jpg - 58271 Bytes
« Reply #203 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 7:08pm »

hi all,

when the glue cured to a stable bond, i could move on to the blending work.  the side of the car is taped up to protect the wire work and the delicate windows.  no matter how careful you are, protecting delicate work is your best insurance from accidental damage.  this photo shows both the tape and the blending work.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_9-5-06_019.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_9-5-06_022.jpg - 20847 Bytes
« Reply #204 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 7:27pm »

hi all,

in this photo, the rough sanding work is almost complete.  now it's time to go to a furniture scraper/burnisher to 'slice' any remaining irregularities from the surface.  after that, a micro-fine filler will be applied to fill any voids.  the rest is just finishing the way that you would normally do it (priming, burnishing, and painting).  there are two thoughts on how to do this joint, the first is to create a machine-fit joint that is so perfectly matched that it disappears when completed (think musical instruments).  this type of joint requires precise clamping pressure for every square inch of joint.  the second joint is one that is tight, but forgiving enough by using a filler material of similar hardness and workability as the material being joined.  both methods produce good looking joints, but the first produces a masterwork and the latter, fine funiture if done right (firewood if done without care).

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_9-5-06_022.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #205 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 9:42pm »

Holy mackeral,THAT is one BEAUTIFULL car. George, this is artwork !! Almost too nice to run. Rea, right. When did you ever know me not to run with some nice cars in tow.  
   Just beautiful.  Thanks for shareing with all here.

Take care,

Your friend, Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #206 on: Sep 6th, 2006, 5:03pm »

Bruce,
I've actually had my greasy little hands on this car and it's as impressive in person as in the photos.

Everyone:
I realise that, to the lurkers, this must look like a mutual admiration society. My only response to that is once you have become accomplished, in any field, you have respect and admiration for others who have been through the same mill. With this come the compliments and gentle chiding that helps the individual raise his/her personal bar.

I feel priveledged to belong to this society. It is not, however, a closed society. So c'mon and join us. Tell us, or show us what you are building.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #207 on: Sep 6th, 2006, 7:47pm »

Friends,

Greg B. is one hundred per cent correct in his comment. For all those folks that drift through these live steam threads, we that are into this end of the hobby up to our eye balls, enjoy hearing the comments and suggestions of others.  
   The live steam fraternity is a small gagle of people compared to the model railroad fraternity and the fan fraternity. If the compliments sound repetitious, its because most of us folks in the live steam hobby either know each other personally or know of each other. Again, because the  group of live steamers, across the county, is rather small.  
   And, depending the equipment one builds, owns or runs, your reputation tends to follow you.
   Sooooo, jump in, the water is fine in the live steam end of our hobby pool. Greg B,
George T. and myself look forward to your participation.

Good steaming,

Bruce

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #208 on: Sep 6th, 2006, 8:09pm »

Hi Bruce,

True enough. At the Los Angeles Live Steamers, Griffith Park, you have several gauges. All have a round house affair where the engines can be serviced from any angle, including from beneath. So,,, we occasionally have an opportunity to Kibbitz the repairs, and occasionally make a valid suggestion. Seems that some things in HO and O gauge are similar.

Major suggestion, at one time, was how to impregnate the ties for the tracks. Huge pot, vacuum chamber etc. etc. and a really messy job. Being in the Potting and Encapsulation area for many years I made some suggestions and immediately got the response, "Why didn't I think of that" By the way, a smelly affair also. Stay upwind of what they are doing. But they make a huge quantity of ties all at once, and they last a long, long time, especially in Southern California. These days, considering concrete ties might just be a very good idea.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
pockets
Historian

« Reply #209 on: Sep 6th, 2006, 10:37pm »

Pennsy,
George will probably whine,'cause it's OT, but what's your recipe?

Bruce, thanks.

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #210 on: Sep 6th, 2006, 10:55pm »

Alan, Greg,

Lets not dilute this thread of beautifully built cars with a special smelly soup that saves the  ties. Believe me, I know first hand how very important it is to save ties.  

Alan, could you start another thread explaining the process that you recommended for the tie preservative. I know I sure would be interested. And I believe there are a number of other that would be too.

How about it Alan. This should make for some interesting reading.

Take care,

Bruce

Downeasta
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #211 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 6:42am »

Very nice work Moose.  Forgive me for not reading through all the messages.  Most of the pics take my computer 15 minutes to load each page.  Yet I would like to know, what are you getting for these museum quality Mona Lisas that you are creating?

Willy (nods hello to greg, thanx for the link)

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #212 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 10:43am »

Hi Bruce,

Not that much to add. Essentially their process was okay except that it did not have a final procedure of pressurizing the vessel to about 200 to 300 psi to further force the "soup" into the interstices of the ties. That of course, means that the "dogs" holding down the lid of the vessel had to be reinforced to take the pressure, and the pressure was applied via a dry nitrogen tank. All connections, naturally, could take the pressure. The nitrogen tank required a regulator, stepping down the tank pressure to that desired. Everything else remained in place.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #213 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 10:51am »

Yeah, but, Pennsy, wha's the recipe for the soup.......?

Greg B.

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #214 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 12:35pm »

Hi All,

Never got into the exact formulation of the Creosote type material. From what was heard it is "their secret soup". I did get the impression that it was quite old and came from another club. You might run an internet search on the various"soups" available and compare it to what you now use. From what I can see, the soup, or concoction changes from club to club since the climate also changes. That is, the blend is formulated for where it is to be used. This might also be what the full scale RR's do as well. It would be a logical approach to the problem. One ingredient, off the top of my head, would be an anti-termite agent.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #215 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 4:47pm »

hi willy, alan, bruce, greg, and group,

first, thanks for your compliments.  second, yes the tie-talk is ot...it really does merit it's own thread in this family of threads.  trackwork is a science, an art, and a lot of hard work!  great trackwork is a labor of love, not for yourself, but those you wish to share it with.  that is part of the draw of the hobby.  it's why we are here doing this thread and the other wonderful threads devoted to individual aspects of the hobby.  bruce and tom e. are my personal heroes when it comes to trackwork.  if they can't make it work, it just isn't worth doing!  

willy, it is certainly my pleasure to have you visit these threads and contribute your knowledge.  i've seen your postings in other areas of the internet, you aint no sloth yourself!

to answer your question, yes i do on occaision build railcars for others.  if i ever get the chance to see you in person, i'll tell you the whole story behind the wabash caboose.  the short of it is that i built it with the aid of a little funding from a small cadre of friends (bruce is one of them) as a 58th wedding anniversary gift for a couple who've given willing of themselves for many years.  in all the time that they've been members of my home railroad, howard didn't have time to build a caboose for his wabash loco.  i think photos can see been seen of the occaision in the largo thread.  the work is mine, but the pride of friendship belongs to that small cadre of friends.

the bobber caboose is being done for my friend alex because of his selflessness to do a job no one else wants to tackle.  alex is a very shy and private man...certain to be embarrassed when he reads this!  like howard, the donation of my time to alex is a labor of love.  the hobby is like that as almost no other is.

if there is something that you like and want built, email me offlist.  you can also contact me through greg b.  as bruce and greg will tell you, i don't like to brag nor do i try to create a market for my projects.  if i never sold a single one, i'd still build them, it's fun to make sawdust!

well, maybe i should stand on a street corner with a sign that reads 'will build railcars for a steam engine'!  hmm, maybe not.

thanks to all for stopping by and giving us a look!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on Sep 7th, 2006, 6:42am, Downeasta wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Very nice work Moose.  Forgive me for not reading through all the messages.  Most of the pics take my computer 15 minutes to load each page.  Yet I would like to know, what are you getting for these museum quality Mona Lisas that you are creating?

Willy (nods hello to greg, thanx for the link)

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_9-10-06.jpg - 46259 Bytes
« Reply #216 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 5:41pm »

hi all,

alex is wanting an orange caboose to match his orango loco.  here's sample of the color.  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_9-10-06.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian
  image_2.jpg - 49076 Bytes
« Reply #217 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 9:03pm »

George is teaching me how to do this picture thing. I'm sorry if this shot has shown up before.

This is 3-3/4" scale. That is a 17" wheelbase on the unfinished truck.

Greg B.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/image_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #218 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 9:12pm »

Well, I'm impressed. Some pretty husky machinery there, I'd say. Good pic, too.

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #219 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 4:50pm »

Yeah, Bruce, it's some pretty hefty stuff. I love it, though. It's a great scale to build in and doesn't require any of those special MTP taps and dies. All the plumbing on this car will be 1/4" or 1/8" NTP. The fittings are all standard hardware. Also, I can walk over to the Kennedy and grab a lifesize wrench and go to work. No more looking for the 0-80 nut driver

Greg B.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »