Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 20th, 2017, 12:50pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29127 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose
  alexs_bobber_caboose_8-25-06_009.jpg - 50799 Bytes
« Reply #180 on: Aug 26th, 2006, 8:42pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

...and what about the question of 'can he do it twice' (the lanterns that is)?  take a look at this photo!  not bad for an amatuer and with pine no less!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_8-25-06_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #181 on: Aug 26th, 2006, 11:59pm »

Hi Moose,

Looking really good. We told you that the graduate course by Norm Abram and his Yankee Workshop would do you a world of good. All you need now is the use of all his power tools. Looks like you borrowed enough of his clamps. I don't think he uses the Loctites, the anaerobics or crazy glues. He prefers the really strong two component epoxies.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
pockets
Historian
  image_10.jpg - 61659 Bytes
« Reply #182 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 2:06pm »

This will give a sense of perspective for 3-3/4" scale. That is still 7.5" gauge.

Greg B.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/image_10.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #183 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 4:23pm »

Very nice, Greg.

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #184 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 6:58pm »

Thanks, Bruce,
How's that trestle coming. I read your post, where you finished that lead. You guys are doing a great job.

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  vacation_6-06_046.jpg - 354444 Bytes
« Reply #185 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 8:14pm »

hi alan and group,

alan, i'm definitely a fan of titebond II!  great stuff when it is completed cured.  would like to use the ambroid alphatics, but they are too brittle and too expensive to use on bonds larger than what would be found on rc aircraft.  i like locktite's cyano glues for small detail parts because it works and is easy to clean up the excess without marring a painted finish (some just ghost in a white film from the fumes, not loctite in my experience).

in all my posts, you'll note that the only hardware i use is either necessary for mechanical purposes or temporary clamping power.  i only use wood screws to hold the body (i so can remove the bodies if need be)and the endsills to foundation board.  i've seen others use angle brackets, angle iron, or just screws to hold sides and end pieces.  it might be okay for others, but not for me.  my grandfather would tell me to do the joint right and i wouldn't have to go to the hardware store.  a good job is worth doing right!  he lived it, i believe it.

in the posts that you'll see by greg (pockets), where appropriate, hardware is used as it was intended to be used by the 1 to 1 railroads.  when he has completed work on the flatcar, i hope you find the symphony of parts creating a synergy of form follows function.  i have been fortunate to watch this craftsman at work.    

by the way, the photo below is what i'm hoping to build a model of....in about 14 more railcars!  this photo was taken at the big shanty museum in north georgia, they are justly proud of their new exhibit.   would be neat in 3 3/4" scale!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (354444 bytes, 2048x1536 pixels)

Click Here to View Image vacation_6-06_046.jpg - 354444 Bytes

pockets
Historian

« Reply #186 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 11:07pm »

" a symphony of parts" Well, George, my work has been called a great many things, but that's a new one. I thank you for the compliments, but your own work doesn't have to back up from anyone's.

It is the scale that allows me to truely follow the prototype. Were I building in 1-1/2" scale, I would be using techniques almost identical to yours. My models would be too fragile for serious operation, if built in 1-1/2" scale. That end sill is a chunk of Brazilian Cherry, 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" in section.

Call me, George and talk me through this picture thing, again. They say the memory is the second thing to go

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_8-30-06_001.jpg - 47687 Bytes
« Reply #187 on: Aug 30th, 2006, 10:55pm »

hi pockets and group,

the pleasure has been all mine in being able to talk, type, swap lies, observe, and learn from folks like you, bruce, and many others.   to see the workmanship done by a few in this hobby is to appreciate poetry in motion.  it's one thing to talk it, but quite a different matter to build it, operate it and/or restore it to a museum quality condition.  and as bruce preachs, it must be passed on in order to maintain the skills to do it.  even as my work grows in complexity, i don't want to forget how guide others in their journey.

and now, back to our movie...opps!  sorry, wrong planet...well, they just got rid of that planet last week so i guess i'll have to talk about alex's bobber caboose.

when many people start building a caboose project,  they spend a lot of time getting the woodwork to look good, but shrink in fear of how to do the wire work for the porch railings.  one of the popular kit and r-t-r manufacturers (mcc), taught us not to fear it, but to bend them out of 1/8 inch brass rod.  if you are careful, it works.  you see it in the hobby all the time.  it is where we all start and the method produces a semi-finished product quickly and cheaply.  if you look back at some of the earliest of my posts, you'll see that i did it too.  however, i'll learning to do more than simply bending a piece of wire.

beginning with the commissary car, i created a porch railing that was a little closer to prototype.  not exact yet, but a little better than before.  because alex's caboose is for a branch-line railroad and not a class a, i wanted to create a simpler look...nothing elaborate.  in the photo below, you can see the technique i'm starting to use.  i'm still using 1/8 inch brass rod, but i've flattened a small bit of it where a chain would hang keeping you from walking on the coupler shank.  with a hole drilled to a loose 1/16 inch, this piece of rod will slide over a piece of 1/16 in brass rod which in turn is slide into a piece of 1/8 inch brass tubing.  it still sort of looks like my earlier work, but it will soon gain 1 or 2 more posts inset like the inside one.  when everything is in alignment, it will be soldered together to form a single unit.  go ahead, look at the picture, it'll explain it better than i can.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_8-30-06_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #188 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 8:18am »

Looking good, my friend. If you get into that 0400 file, you will get some additional inspiration. Some great shots there.

Greg B.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #189 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 10:14am »

Beautiful, George, just beautiful.  

Now here is a thought for you car builder guys. George, as you know, I have an old MC caboose. For the guys that don't know what I'm referring to, its the caboose with the ERIE diamond on it. The end sills have been broken so many times, it ain't funny. You know, the sill right above the coupler pocket, that extends side to side next to the steps. You have a beautiful picture of what I'm talking about in the last or next to last pic you posted. On my caboose, the wooden piece is 3/4 inch thick and about one inch high. If I remember right. Well, my thought is this, why could'nt that be made from a piece of steel 3/4 inch thick material. Mill it to clear around the center car sill that extends out to accept the coupler. Then, WELD the damn thing to the car center sill. That way, when and if the car derails, or inadvertantly get side swiped, the damn end sill won't end up in spinters. I think mine have more Elmers glue in them than wood. Just a thought. What do you think??

Take care,

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #190 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 2:15pm »

It makes good sense to me, Bruce and it might accomplish a couple of other things;

1) The additional weight might alleviate the "cinder block syndrome" that so many cabeese suffer from and allow the suspension to work.

2) It might garner some payback, via pilot mayhem, on the engineer with his head in the firebox.

Just a thought,
Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  getting_closer_on_drovers_caboose_a005.jpg - 179031 Bytes
« Reply #191 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 9:11pm »

hi bruce, pockets, and group,

bruce, that sounds like a great idea!  it solves the problem of how to attach i-bolts for safety chains and could be milled additionally to take the shape of some of the c-beam endsills found throughout the fleets.  it also eliminates the added 1"x1"x2" pieces of steel tubing that i currently have to weld to the centersill for i-bolt support.

for those having a hard time following our conversation, the photo below shows the wooden endsill that i make.  looking behind the endsill, you can see the shadow of the square steel tubing used for i-bolt support.  on most live steam railroads around the country, safety chains are required if the general public is to ride your train(for what ever reason, couplers do let go once in a while).  for my situation, the square tubing anchors the i-bolts and safety chains, otherwise, bye-bye endsills!  in every endeavor, a little rain must fall...especially when the guy behind you has his head where it shouldn't (in the 'cab', fiddling with the fire or a piece of apparatus) be on a railroad with heavy traffic.  the endsill and the step-units are the items that get 're-kitified' the most.  there is an unwritten rule in the hobby that if you break it, then you fix it, buy it, replace it, or pay for it...after all, it's only fair.  our one-of-a-kind equipment comes at a dear price!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (179031 bytes, 2048x1536 pixels)

Click Here to View Image getting_closer_on_drovers_caboose_a005.jpg - 179031 Bytes

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2006, 9:16pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #192 on: Sep 1st, 2006, 9:18pm »

hi all,

spent so time today making some needed repairs to the commissary car...the broken/repaired step-unit is finally re-installed!  i'll post a photo tomorrow night.  if there is any time left after this weekend's run, i'll start working on the extensions of the ledgerboards so this car will finally be OUT OF HERE!  alex's bobber caboose travels to meet alex tomorrow, gonna give him some more painting to do.  some more detailing work left to do on his bobber, but it's almost gone as well!  then on to finishing the wm caboose.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_9-3-06_016.jpg - 51133 Bytes
« Reply #193 on: Sep 3rd, 2006, 9:38pm »

hi all,

i've spent the last two days in largo.  alex's bobber caboose made it over there for alex to see.  i do believe he was pleased to see it!

as promised, here's a picture of alex with his caboose...i think he likes it.  i believe he was surprized by some of the detail work that you've been watching being done.  alex is a great guy to have in your corner, and deserves a little tlc, don't cha think!  i have to be careful about talking about him, i've talked him in to visiting us here on the thread once in a while!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_9-3-06_016.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_9-3-06_026.jpg - 104371 Bytes
« Reply #194 on: Sep 3rd, 2006, 9:47pm »

as i've done in the past, i like to show my own learning curve.  that is to say where i started and where i am...and the mistakes made along the way.  here's a photo of my first caboose, the ej&e, my second, the wabash, and the current one, the bobber caboose.  on each new project, i try to incorporate what i've learned on the last one.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_9-3-06_026.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #195 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 7:30am »

George, that's developing into one fine looking crummy. People don't come much nicer than Alex and something of this caliber is only fitting.

Greg B.

B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #196 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 12:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

George, I am having a hard time combining the word "Crummie" to any thing you have made thus far. The railroad term notwithstanding, the word evokes an image of poor quality. But everything I have seen from your shop has been of the highest quality. So lets just call the latest one a "Bobber" from here on.  

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #197 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 1:25pm »

George,

Good to see Alex with his "bobber". Man, your workmanship is outstanding. I sure hope some of the "modelers" in these forums are takeing a glance at your work.  
Modeling in BIG scale. Cause those cabooses (cabeese) are really nice models.

Take care,

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #198 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 2:11pm »

Le's see, now: Caboose
    Waycar
    Palace
    Crummy
    Hack
    Plus a few that shouldn't appear in a family forum......

A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet.

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_9-5-06_005.jpg - 69571 Bytes
« Reply #199 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 6:11pm »

hi all,

thanks for your comments on my work.   i guess i'm like most people...i don't think of my works as any great shakes.  it's the old saying, as good as you are there's always someone else who's better.  my immediate goal is to improve me, then my models.  describing how to do it for you is my way of thinking and re-thinking what i'm doing.  your criticism definitely helps!  thanks for keeping an eye on what i'm doing.

things are progressing in the shop.  alex's bobber caboose roof got it's first coat of 'tar'.  it will get a second coat before the catwalks are installed.  the final finish will be 'dusted' on with several flat paints to get rid of most of the shiny gloss.  here's how it looks now.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_9-5-06_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »