Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 11:32am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29071 times)
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose

« Reply #140 on: Jul 10th, 2006, 3:26pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Well Greg,

I have no idea where the heck that comment came from. Well, maybe I do.  
   Hey, that is one heck of a truck. Man, thats nice work. Can't wait to see more of it together. I'm sure its going to be a lot bigger than I'm used to. Heh,heh,heh.

Really nice.

Take care,

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  vacation_6-06_185.jpg - 63593 Bytes
« Reply #141 on: Jul 10th, 2006, 4:43pm »

hi all,

bruce once reminded me that those who post are far fewer than those who read.  for a thread with a fairly limited topic area, 802 views is great!   ya got to consider that the thread hasn't been around that long.  i'm well pleased!  if someone views our work and says "i can do that," then does it...haven't we done what we set out to do?  if they say to themselves "what these guys are doing is crap, i can do better," then does, haven't we also succeeded?

my goal for this thread is to share one of the facets of the live steam hobby.  my goal for myself is to learn to do it better with each railcar i build.   there's room in the hobby for all kinds, from the most simplistic to the absolute fabulous.  what do i care most about the equipment i build?  first, seeing it perform well, and second, seeing the joy that it brings to other people.

one day, i'll be able to build to museum quality.  not for anyone but for myself.  i'm not a rivot counter as far as judging other people's equipment.  i do appreciate those who take time to research and build their heart's content.  i also appreciate the journey begun by a first time builder...we've been there!

why am i shooting to work in museum quality?  pockets gave me the most profound answer.  one day, our models may be the only representives left of a by-gone era and technology.  how will future generations know how it worked without working or close to working systems?  think that everything we do will be available on the internet?  information technology looks forward, not backward.  think, we are a visual hands-on creature.  internet data doesn't become real to us until we print it out and hold it in our hands.  you can look at a picture and never figure out how it works.  explore a real world model and you expand your knowledge.

a big thank you to all who post or just stop by to see what we are doing!

btw, here's a picture of a railcar that i'm thinking of building for myself! (southeastern railway museum, duluth georgia...great people, do stop by and visit when you're in the area! their work is worthy of your support.)

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on Jul 10th, 2006, 3:26pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Well Greg,

I have no idea where the heck that comment came from. Well, maybe I do.  
   Hey, that is one heck of a truck. Man, thats nice work. Can't wait to see more of it together. I'm sure its going to be a lot bigger than I'm used to. Heh,heh,heh.

Really nice.

Take care,

Bruce

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/vacation_6-06_185.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #142 on: Jul 11th, 2006, 12:53pm »

Thanks for the nice comments, Bruce. Yeah, thos trucks are a little larger than you're accustomed to. That's a 15" wheelbase. The car measures 104" long x 25" wide and 10" from railhead to deck. With the big block Chevy valve springs, we can give Ol' 7597 a ride!

I've got some more pics to post. Soon, maybe.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #143 on: Jul 19th, 2006, 3:31pm »

hi all,

the work that pockets is doing on his railcar is wonderful!  i been dair!  the nice thing about working in 3 3/4 in scale is the extra detail that you put on...really could...should work.  carpentry is easy, it's creating all the functioning hardware that can get time consuming.  patience is a virtue, dang it, i wish i had some!  

in recent weeks, i've been like a bad penny returning to the pockets' family lean-to.  each time i've visited, a new piece of flatcar running hardware was evident.  while i can create the illusion of functionality, pockets' work truly is.  size is everything when scale materials must be used.  in most cases, material strengths don't scale well, that is the difference between 1 1/2 and 3 3/4 inch scales.

when his flatcar is complete and we can find motive power worthy enough to pull it, i'm going to show up with my chaise-lounger, ice chest, and maybe a tv to enjoy the ride his car will give!  hmmm, reminds me of someone else in the hobby who genuinely enjoys an occaisional restful outing on the trains!

hey pockets!  thanks for letting me be a part of it!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #144 on: Jul 19th, 2006, 8:49pm »

Thanks, George, for the kind words. If I've accomplished nothing else, in this phase of my life, I've made two good friends; You and Mr. Raykiewicz. They are friendships that trancend the Hobby.

I was going to post the balance of the pics, tonight, but I can't find where you burried them in this 'puter. Oh well, like a wheel, you'll be around. When you are, we'll stick them up.

G'nite,
Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  cedar_key_7-21-06_019.jpg - 455311 Bytes
« Reply #145 on: Aug 1st, 2006, 7:40pm »

hi all,

it does seem like a life-time since i last posted.  life keeps getting in the way.  inspiration can come in the midst of sadness.  i've been considering building something for myself in a larger scale....pockets knows.   earlier in the summer, i had the pleasure of visiting the big shanty museum near marrietta (if i could only learnt to spilt) georgia.  if you haven't been, then go!  

i'm starting to gather data to build one of the little glover locos built by glover machinery works.  about 2 weeks ago, a dear family member passed away.  it was at the funeral that i learned that one of my ancestors worked for cumer lumber company (home office jacksonville, mills all over florida).  among the companies affiliated with them was patterson & mc innis lumber company of gulf hammock, florida.  i knew my ancestor was a sawyer and millwright working in the cedar key florida area, but i just learned that he was often called on to repair the company locomotives when necessary.  cumer lumber company used locos from just about everybody including glover.  this one?  i'm not an expert, it has a baldwin look, but perhaps it's a porter?

here's a picture of the last one that i know of from p & m along us19.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (455311 bytes, 2048x1536 pixels)

Click Here to View Image cedar_key_7-21-06_019.jpg - 455311 Bytes

« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2006, 7:44pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #146 on: Aug 1st, 2006, 8:33pm »

Thanks for the pic, George. That's pretty much the way I remember her from a few weeks ago.  

'bout time you got back in the funny papers,
Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  commissary_car_8-8-06_001.jpg - 49644 Bytes
« Reply #147 on: Aug 9th, 2006, 8:29pm »

hi all,  

guess what's back!  yep, the commissary car has returned to the shop.  it seems that sometime in the last week, someone re-kitified one of the step units.   i build mine from wood in order to be able to rebuild them for that reason...although metal ones would be nice and save some trouble, too!  

enjoy,  

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/commissary_car_8-8-06_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  commissary_car_8-8-06_003.jpg - 41529 Bytes
« Reply #148 on: Aug 9th, 2006, 8:43pm »

here's a photo of what's left of the stair unit.  titebond ii really holds!  from the looks of what happened, there should be a few more pieces.  for now, an easy fix...but...the owner wanted the ledger boards wider(ledger boards traverse longitudinal just under the roof line of the car and are frequently where the cars carry their logos).  go figure, still an easy fix, no problem!

enjoy,  

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/commissary_car_8-8-06_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  HPIM2108.jpg - 55042 Bytes
« Reply #149 on: Aug 9th, 2006, 8:56pm »

alex's caboose is back on the build table after being sidelined for a couple of family emergencies.  since he wanted to help in the building of it, he was given the windows to paint prior to installation.  i should get them back from him in the next couple of weeks.  in this photo, the door jambs are being installed followed by the trim fascia.  the jamb material is 1/16"x 3/8" stripwood.  the exterior trim will be of the same material.   the car will soon be ready for its step units.  

enjoy,  

moose the caboose  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM2108.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #150 on: Aug 10th, 2006, 9:01pm »

'bout time you got back on Alex's hack. He probably asked to paint the windows jus' ter move you along. Kinda like herdin' cats. A subject I know a little about...LOL

As usual, George, it's lookin' good.

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #151 on: Aug 11th, 2006, 8:52am »

Since this thread has, so far, dealt primarily with cabeese I thought the following might be appropriate. First, a preface: Railroad train crews are like any other blue collar workers, including moments of disgruntlement and irreverence. I got this from a now retired C&O/Chessie conductor.

To wit: "Oh, to be the conductor, master of the train. My head stuck in a phone box, My @## out in the rain...."

With respect and apologies,
Greg B.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #152 on: Aug 11th, 2006, 9:19am »

Hey Guys,

Because I am SLIGHTLY familiar with where Alex's caboose lives, its a pure miracle that more of it was re-kitafied. I'm sure you will do your useual very nice work on the repairs, George.

Take care,

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_8-13-06_007.jpg - 38188 Bytes
« Reply #153 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 9:51pm »

hey all,

bruce you are right!  no one knows how it happened!

the repair is going nicely, just waiting for the glue to cure before re-installation.  initially thought that i was going to have to replace the whole step unit, but as of today, i've found that the original unit can be put back together.  titebond ii is great stuff if you work with it's weakness...long final cure time.  you can't jostle the peices around after the beginning of initial tack-set.  at final cure, it is tougher than the wood.  here's a picture of how it's coming.

the lower section will be re-united with the upper section after a 36 hour cure time.  i'll touch up the paint to cover the glue fillets.  the fillets can be seen as a slightly darker glossy area at the joints.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_8-13-06_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #154 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 10:00pm »

Looking good again, George. I sure hope some folks don'e destroy parts of that caboose again. Its got to be a heart breaker for Alex.

Take care,

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_8-13-06_002.jpg - 47401 Bytes
« Reply #155 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 10:01pm »

on to the bobber caboose.

to make it easy on myself, i'm installing the floor sheathing before the door facia trim is installed.  because i use 1/4 inch stock for my step units, the sheathing will overlap the foundation board by 1/4 inch on both sides.  here's of picture of where i started.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_8-13-06_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_8-13-06_003.jpg - 43430 Bytes
« Reply #156 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 10:23pm »

personally, i like the idea of all hand-made detail, but some projects like this one are for folks who simply want something that looks good and operates well.  hand laying individual boards would be my first choice, but my good friend alex isn't a stickler for exact detail.  the 1/4 inch sheath-wood from midwest products works just fine for him.  it would also be a great choice for the first time builder...quick, easy to use, and a nice blend of detail.  with careful use of a very sharp razer knife, it cuts like butter.  if you wanted a little more detail in the interior, this stuff works well glued down for the interior floor, just remember to remove excess glue and keep the seams flat.  it looks great with judicious random scoring of the planks.  if the flooring is stained instead of painted, careful application of a 00 or finer draftsman's pen will simulate floor nails.  here's how it looks on the caboose porch.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_8-13-06_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #157 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 10:34pm »

hi bruce!

the damage was on the commissary car.  alex's caboose is moving along nicely.  still want to get down to see you folks, howard is supposed to return his caboose sometime this month.  when the doors are installed, i'm layin' on the horn to let ya know when to expect me (with the wabash in tow)!

moose the caboose

on Aug 13th, 2006, 10:00pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Looking good again, George. I sure hope some folks don'e destroy parts of that caboose again. Its got to be a heart breaker for Alex.

Take care,

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #158 on: Aug 14th, 2006, 8:41am »

Looking good, George. I'm sure that Alex will be pleased as punch. Also glad to see that you survived the celebratory weekend....

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_8-14-06_005.jpg - 48139 Bytes
« Reply #159 on: Aug 14th, 2006, 7:34pm »

hi pockets!

hope yer trip went well!  i've managed to get a little more done on the bobber caboose today.  see for yer self!

this is the 'a' end, the door jambs are in, the porch flooring is in, and the roof trim is set.  if nothing else works, just use the large clamps the way they weren't intended!  try it, it works.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_8-14-06_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »