Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 11:16am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29062 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose

« Reply #120 on: Jun 9th, 2006, 7:27pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi tom, welcome back pockets, and thanks bruce for kicking off the goose thread,

tom, sounds like you're on track with your method of joining in uh ho scale!   okay, i really meant 'ho' scale, but i've had my share of dropping parts into the carpet, therefore...uh ho!  the difference between us is the usefulness and size of materials.  some materials don't translate between scales, but ideas do.  no matter the scale you're working in, if anything i or anyone else posts that opens creative doors for you (ergo other readers), then i'm more than pleased.  bruce, pockets, and a few others have been my mentors in the hobby, i just hope that i can pass on what i've learned.

knocking metal around has been done for many centuries, but even now it is still an artisan's craft.  for the ladders, pockets gave me some specific instructions...just do it!  my ladders are built of 1/8th inch square brass tubing with 3/32nd inch brass rod for ladder rungs and pins.  creating this particular detail called for several very expensive and specialized machines.  as to the curved sections, i annealed them to a dull red glow and let them cool.  i bought one of the fancy tubing benders and promptly found a place to keep it in my toolbox.  it allowed the work piece to twist and turn.  to get the proper curve, i turned to the most precious tools in all of my shop...my hands.   i found that by carefully...slowly... wrapping the work piece around the inside ledge (where the cap seats) of a rattle-can of rust-o-leum, i got the shape i wanted.  sometimes, it's just that simple.  once you start working the brass, it will work-harden fairly quickly.  all you have to do is re-anneal the work piece and keep going.  if you don't, either the work piece will snap or do things you don't want it to do.

one day, tom, we hope to get you into our 'hernia' gauge.  it truly is a lot of fun working with equipment that is closer to the '1 to1' scale folks.  

hey pockets!  looks like i'm going to be looking for some more sheet brass...the mckeen cars sound like fun!   (i know, right after the stillwells...)

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on Jun 9th, 2006, 9:26am, TAB wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Moose….I enjoyed seeing your efforts with the ladder. I know the annealing process involves heat. The darkening from its use can be seen on the roof sections. How did you shape the pieces into such uniform curves?

I thought your pining method for joining the ladder sections was an interesting and simple solution that I wish I could use in HO scale. I have done something similar though. I’ve used two short pieces of insulation from a suitably sized piece of electrical wire as a coupling. The sections of insulation are glued to one end and the other ends just slip in.

Thanks so much for letting us all see the documentation of the work you’ve done. It is very inspirational…Tom  

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alex_watsons_caboose_pics_001-2.jpg - 57298 Bytes
« Reply #121 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 7:25pm »

hi all,

i've taken a few days to get ready for the spring grass growing season.  yep, the yard chores i've been able to put off for a while had to get done.

alex's bobber caboose is back on the build table.  since i hadn't put that much here about it, here's a couple of photos of it's beginning.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alex_watsons_caboose_pics_001-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alex_watsons_caboose_pics_012-2.jpg - 57535 Bytes
« Reply #122 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 7:29pm »

hi all,

here's another photo showing how the structure came together.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alex_watsons_caboose_pics_012-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  _hr_alexwatsonbobbercabooseproject001.jpg - 47563 Bytes
« Reply #123 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 7:55pm »

hi all,

before i forget, someone asked what i use of running gear.  for this model, mountain car company's bobber caboose wheel sets were choosen.  there are a couple of vendors producing bobber caboose wheel sets.  for light duty with no heavy strain placed on the undercarriage, mcc's were a good choice.  the base of their gear is angle-iron...easy to mount and work with.  it's applied to the plywood foundation with 1/4 inch carriage bolts.  this method is great where there is no string-line strain from being cut into the middle of a long train.  if you choose to do that, check out other running gear that bolts to a steel frame.  many people mount their couplers to wooden pockets built up on the endsills, not me.  i mount a 1x2 steel tube the total length of the car.  this not only gives a starting point for coupler height adjustments, but a strong anchor for the couplers themselves.  it also helps save the car from being re-kitified during any of the meet.  well, you can at least repair instead of starting over.

here's another photo showing how the undercarriage looked.  the plywood shown was to be another project and still needed to modified for this particular caboose, but you get the idea.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/_hr_alexwatsonbobbercabooseproject001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #124 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 10:32pm »

It all makes sense, now....You didn't call, because you were taking Alex's hack apart to photograph, so that you could post these pictures.  

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #125 on: Jun 17th, 2006, 9:40pm »

Boy, it sure is spooky quiet in here, all alone.......

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_car_6-19-06_007.jpg - 46078 Bytes
« Reply #126 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 9:46pm »

hi all,

yes, pockets, i took alex's caboose apart just to show how i'd done it!  well, it's back together tonight, just in time too!

there's alot to do yet, so here's a picture of where i started the other night.  you've been seeing this 'patch' and wondered what it was....

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_car_6-19-06_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_car_6-19-06_006.jpg - 45570 Bytes
« Reply #127 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 9:55pm »

hi all,

here's what it looks like tonight.  there's a little more work to make it look like i want it, but by now you should be getting an idea of what it was for.  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_car_6-19-06_006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #128 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 9:57pm »

What? Only one lousy pic of a patched cupola? C'mon, George. Haste makes waste, but ya gotta move a little or SWMBO will be planting flowers in that thing.  

Have a safe trip,
Greg B.

That's a little better

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2006, 9:59pm by pockets » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_car_6-19-06_005.jpg - 42080 Bytes
« Reply #129 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 10:14pm »

hi all,

here's better view of the work done to the cupola.  okay, what really happened!  every now and then, you run into some lumber...wood...timber...assembled sawdust that doesn't want to be messed with.  when this particular piece of plywood was being grooved, the saw hit a spot where there was a void that was not just one ply, but two plies deep.  most of the time i throw this stuff away and start over.  wanting to keep my costs low for this project, i knew i'd have to be creative in my approach to materials use.  i also like to do something different for every railcar i build.  by strategically using the material at hand and placing the voids where i could best get rid of them, i came up with a detail feature unique to this project and hobby, but not uncommon in old bobber cabooses(uh oh!....oh, never mind, i thought i'd missplit 'bobber' caboose).  

so...what's the detail?

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_car_6-19-06_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  vacation_6-06_108.jpg - 301765 Bytes
« Reply #130 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 9:40pm »

hi all,

had to take time off for family business (and perhaps so fun).  spent 5 1/2 days traipsing around north georgia.  and yes, i got to see a couple of train museums!  you never know where you're going to find inspiration for that next project.  one of the museums i went to see was located in big shanty, georgia, just outside of marietta.  you know, where 'the general' is displayed?  hmmm, thought you would!  i've seen the general before and wanted to go back to see it again.  i'm glad i did.  i'd been doing some research into one of it's later, smaller brethen...the industrial locos built by the glover machinery works.  

was i ever surprised at the wealth of information available and the willingness of the museum docents, archivists, and curators to share their time and knowledge with me.  the glover family gave them complete access to everything that was glover machinery works under the condition that it was preserved for posterity...that means you, me, our kids, you know the drill.   the glovers kept everything from drawings, financial records, portaits of locos, wooden patterns and 'new' never used castings.  the museum's collection is phenominal!  go online and find out who they are!  and by all means, and i mean by all means, visit them.  this museum and it's staff are worthy of your support.  a lot of the 100+ year old drawings need to be digitized before it's too late.  they need the appropriate equipment to do the job.  if you can help please...please do so!

the museum is also interested in a 1/8th scale live steam model of any of the glovers.  any ideas?  i sure do!  that will have to wait until i get the materials.

here's a picture of the treasure trove i walked in on.  excuse the earthquake, the picture was taken in a darkened room without flash and a very long exposure (sorry, no tripod).

enjoy,

moose the caboose

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (301765 bytes, 1536x2048 pixels)

Click Here to View Image vacation_6-06_108.jpg - 301765 Bytes

pockets
Historian

« Reply #131 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 10:26pm »

Please, look at the end of the carpenters workbench. Notice how the planks, of the work surface, are tennoned into the end piece (where the vise is mounted). You can pay $2k for a custom made bench, today, and it won't be built like that. Yes, I know an alleged woodworker who bought his bench.

Thanks for the shot, George.

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  vacation_6-06_027.jpg - 38739 Bytes
« Reply #132 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 10:07pm »

it's been a hectic week at work!  i won't bore you with the details, but i did want to show you some more of the big shanty museum.  here's a picture of some of the roots of american railroading.  for some reason, most people think the rail profile they see today is what has always been used.  no so!  take a look, this is mid-to-late 1800's mainline rail.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/vacation_6-06_027.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  vacation_6-06_030.jpg - 36600 Bytes
« Reply #133 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 10:16pm »

here's a picture of some of the 'later' strap-rail that was in use.  this stuff didn't disappear until after the 1870's in some places.  sorry for the lack of focus, these photos were taken in subdued light without flash.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/vacation_6-06_030.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  vacation_6-06_031.jpg - 60036 Bytes
« Reply #134 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 10:26pm »

you just never know where you'll find neat photos...big shanty is one!  here's a photo for bruce!  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/vacation_6-06_031.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  vacation_6-06_033.jpg - 47661 Bytes
« Reply #135 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 10:34pm »

as sad as the photo above is, there were some history making things done during the civil war, how about a hospital car, an innovation that was still in use through the korean conflict and held in reserve until the 1970's and 1980's.  this one is the exterior of a surgeon's car.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/vacation_6-06_033.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  vacation_6-06_038.jpg - 46173 Bytes
« Reply #136 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 10:43pm »

and one of patient cars.  interesting and a challenge to build?   many thanks to big shanty's staff for the look back into history!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/vacation_6-06_038.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  vacation_6-06_110.jpg - 306499 Bytes
« Reply #137 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 10:48pm »

well!  you thought i'd forgotten about the 'general' didn't cha!  here it is.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (306499 bytes, 1536x2048 pixels)

Click Here to View Image vacation_6-06_110.jpg - 306499 Bytes

pockets
Historian
  image1.jpg - 49104 Bytes
« Reply #138 on: Jul 8th, 2006, 5:51pm »

hi folks,

here's a taste of what pockets is up to...now he can post and tell you what he's doing!

bravo pockets!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/image1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #139 on: Jul 10th, 2006, 1:56pm »

See, George, I told ya that posting a pic of my work would kill the thread!  

Greg B.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »