Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 1:57am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29284 times)
Henry
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
  N-Centipede.jpg - 25235 Bytes
« Reply #1060 on: Feb 17th, 2012, 7:25am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Lookin' nice Moosey!

That thar roof color is like poor man's air conditioning for the crew!

Henry

P.S. Here's half of my BLW Centipede pair in a slightly smaller scale

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/N-Centipede.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1061 on: Aug 11th, 2012, 6:54pm »

on Feb 17th, 2012, 7:25am, Henry wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Lookin' nice Moosey!

That thar roof color is like poor man's air conditioning for the crew!

Henry

P.S. Here's half of my BLW Centipede pair in a slightly smaller scale

hi all,

the space has been dormant for some time now...sorry for the long wait.  the tf...er, cofg cab still needs the interior completed before i move on to new work, but a trip to michigan, a side project for moose meadows brewing and the rnc have gotten in the way.  thank you for your patience.

henry:  believe me, i'm tempted!  the problem is...well...time, money and space.  the 4 truck 2ft gauge baldwin would be over 13 feet and possibly 1800 lbs.  why?  'cause i want my locos to worked like rented mules.   golf cart motors all the way, no generic electric motors for me!  can't even imagine building a centipede....WOW!  

to all:  the lastest project out of the mooseworks isn't about live steam railroading, but more for the comfort and enjoyment of live steamers themselves.   many know of my secondary hobby of producing 'brown' suds.  since i've been producing in small batches (up to 2.5 gallons), preparing to supply a thirsty crowd takes months of planning and work.  that is about to change...swmbo'd gave the word that the equipment for larger batches (5 gallons) could be built.  to that end, last weekend a new mash-lauter tun was completed.  in the brewing hobby, that's just one-third of the equipment needed...so the quest continues.

to those who don't care for 'brown' suds, what the above means is that the equipment that was formerly in use, can now double the output of rootbeer, cherry and cola sodas.  whooppppeeee!

...ya know?!  at some point, i'm going to have to build a working 3 3/4 scale reefer!?  hmm, i wonder...

moose

« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2012, 6:57pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #1062 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 8:22pm »

Moosey,
The Sandy River served a creamery (I'm prepared to be wrong on this, but I believe the original home of Eskimo Pies). They must of had some kind of rolling stock to handle it.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #1063 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 11:15pm »

The Brown suds expansion sounds great  George.   We are about to top the hill and start our  6 month down hill slide to pevo patio.   Ray III

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1064 on: Jul 2nd, 2013, 3:50pm »

hi all,

it has been a while since i've posted here...that will soon change.  as you've heard or have seen me write, sometimes life just gets in the way!  yes, there will be new brown soda available at the unmeet...we've been working hard to improve on something that was already good to make it better and repeatable.  being consistant is something hard to do in that particular realm.  my wife and i have been entering some of the competitions around our part of terra firma...learning quite a bit about ourselves in the process.  each criticism helps us improve on what we are doing as we move forward.

i've also been facing some health issues...that will probably continue...just hate getting old, you know.  however, in the last couple of weeks, things have started to change, mobility and energy levels are returning!  so...there's this central of georgia cab on the build-stand that wants to be finished by the unmeet 2014 and hopefully, it will follow someone else home so i can get started on one of my own projects or maybe even a new york central cab!  

anywho, time to get the work-area cleaned up, take stock of consumables, put the machinery back in good order and get to work!

moose

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #1065 on: Jul 2nd, 2013, 4:55pm »

Was that a hint directed at me George?

BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1066 on: Jul 2nd, 2013, 9:11pm »

George,

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. I am hoping you are feeling better. You have been too quiet for too long.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1067 on: Jul 22nd, 2013, 4:37pm »

on Jul 2nd, 2013, 4:55pm, ConrailRed9504 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Was that a hint directed at me George?

conrailred:  uh....yeah!  err, not unless you have your heart set on a c of g cab...lol!

bobbyt:  thanks so much for your wishes and prayers.  doing much better, but suffered a little setback...i keep doing foolish things.  things i used to be able to do when i was much younger like scaling safety barriers and walls to get to the equipment that i need to adjust.  skinned a shin and my doctor is making me pay for it.  well, maybe shes' not to blame.

anywho, i'm back at the drawing board working on some things for the moose meadows critter and it's accompanying work cars...and trying my best to get back out into the shop.  i also want to get a new smokebox cover made for the blue english welder.  would like, just once to get a certain little fellow's picture riding behind it at the bcrr.

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1068 on: Sep 20th, 2014, 10:31pm »

hi all,

well, as i keep saying, i'm back in the shop again....but not back with the c of g or any other cab.  building miniature beer flight boats for a local brewery.  got volunteered for this one by swmbo.  the prototype is turning out well.  hope they like it.  

it may seem strange to mention it here, but one of reasons that i've not been seen in these parts lately is that swmbo wanted to win a medal in the competitions that we've been entering.  that finally happened in towards the end of july and the beginning of august.  we took silver for one of our 'brown' sodas in the jacksonville competition.  maybe now i can get back to 'my' hobby and start building some more railcars!

thank you for your patience!

moose

BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1069 on: Nov 4th, 2014, 7:39pm »

I do believe that someone promised us with some "rail-Car updates about a year... or two ago.  

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1070 on: Nov 5th, 2014, 4:42pm »

on Nov 4th, 2014, 7:39pm, BobbyT wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I do believe that someone promised us with some "rail-Car updates about a year... or two ago.  

bobby:  you are soooo right!  currently doing some research into the greene county rail road in good hope georgia.  this was a bridge road between the central of georgia and the seaboard.  i'm covered on whatever i build for all three railroads!  besides that, i recently found out that an ancestor invested in and helped found the greene county.  so, if you follow taplines, you'll see one of the boxcars and the only passenger car that greene county ever owned.  they will be in my personal collection along with the seaboard passengers cars.  look nice behind a 10 wheeler wouldn't it?

moose

fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #1071 on: Nov 6th, 2014, 12:34am »

Hmmm, ten wheelers and passenger cabooses.....you have excellent taste, George!

Pete

Fat Controller of the Brisbane Valley Tramway
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1072 on: Nov 6th, 2014, 4:34pm »

on Nov 6th, 2014, 12:34am, fred_55 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hmmm, ten wheelers and passenger cabooses.....you have excellent taste, George!

Pete

Pete:  thank you for the complement...i used to be like just about all the others, mainline diesel railroading all the way.  until, one day, there was a program on one of our pbs stations that highlighted austrailian trains, not just any trains, but oddball odd gauge stuff.  i was hooked!  once i was allowed to tiptoe on the interweb, i started filling up harddrives with pics and data.  it's taken me a while to settle on a railroad and time period to model, but for 1/8th scale, this is where i am at.  not saying that i won't build anything else 'cause every now and then an idea strikes that gives you a headache...you know you are going to try and build it.

moose

« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2014, 4:51pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1073 on: Nov 6th, 2014, 4:46pm »

hi all:

here's a little more from taplines...i can't take from away from them, only praise them for gathering and sharing the info.  visit and support their work if you can.

my kindda rustic.

this will be my first boxcar...

add a seaboard cab, a central of georgia cab, and a couple or three  seaboard coaches...that's enough train for me!

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #1074 on: Nov 14th, 2014, 3:48pm »

Gotta love those full diamond, leaf sprung arch bars, too.

Greg

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #1075 on: Dec 5th, 2014, 12:48pm »

Ol' Moosey has, finally, stepped into the machining end of the hobby by acquiring a lathe. He could, however, use some motivation to get it up and running....   How about some of his Railfan buddies getting on his case about it? Some good natured ribbing might be in order.

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1076 on: Sep 6th, 2015, 7:34pm »

Hi all,

Yes, it's been a while since I've been on this thread.  We've been honing our skills in competition brewing for about 3 yrs now....and starting to medal.  Great....but has nothing to do with the hobby or even trains.  Well, with the learning curve out of the way, I can return to the projects at hand.  First is to complete the Central of Georgia cab so that I have space on the build table, then I can start the Greene County Rail Road passenger car, my 1st!

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #1077 on: Sep 7th, 2015, 8:53am »

good news

Tom C,

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #1078 on: Sep 8th, 2015, 3:17am »

We will have to nail your feet to the floor in the shop! Now put down the "suds" and pick up a hammer

Fat Controller of the Brisbane Valley Tramway
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1079 on: Dec 26th, 2015, 9:44pm »

on Sep 8th, 2015, 3:17am, fred_55 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
We will have to nail your feet to the floor in the shop! Now put down the "suds" and pick up a hammer

Pete:  Quite literally true.  In the last year we've won a best of show, a couple gold medals, a couple of silver medals and a bronze or two.  Time to finish the Central of Georgia Cab and put it on display in a museum in North Georgia.  Many thanks for the prodding!  

Moose

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »