Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 11:34am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29073 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose

« Reply #1040 on: Jan 8th, 2012, 7:57pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Jan 7th, 2012, 10:29pm, SteamHeaton wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Beautiful work George!   6 weeks and counting.

ray:  thank you to you and the others for helping me push myself to do new challenges!

to all:

in a previous post, the next thing to be constructed was the coal box...here's what i used for planning.

here's how it is built...

and here's how the body of the coal box finished out.

the hinged top isn't ready yet, but it wont be long.

enjoy,

moose

Steen_Rudberg
Historian

« Reply #1041 on: Jan 9th, 2012, 7:44am »

Hi Moose

I don't why - but I have the feeling that you are really enjoying doing all the details  
Superb work - I get a good feeling when I see your work.
Keep up the flow....

Steen Rudberg
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1042 on: Jan 12th, 2012, 7:48pm »

on Jan 9th, 2012, 7:44am, Steen_Rudberg wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi Moose

I don't why - but I have the feeling that you are really enjoying doing all the details  
Superb work - I get a good feeling when I see your work.
Keep up the flow....

hi all,

steen:  you are very kind!  thank you for your support...and yes, i do like doing detail work.  i, like you and the others are on a journey of discovering what each of us can do.  in watching what you and your group are doing, the things that you are accomplishing together is even more amazing to me than what i'm doing.  your group is growing and learning new skills with every run-day and project that you do.  that's worth following!

to all:  speaking on journeys' of discovery, while i'm comfortable with wood, not so with metals.  as pockets will tell you, when working with any material, the learning curve can/is steep and sometimes expensive.  to the tf x5 cab, i needed a lav stand and basin that matched the specs of the research that allen tuttle forwarded to me.

...so not knowing that i couldn't possibly do it without a shop full of the latest waterjets, cnc machines, massive hydraulic presses, metal spinning machines and arlo guthrie's 49 black-n-white photos of his litter as taken by officer obee, i followed pockets' advice of 'ya dance with who ya brung'.  yep, i got out a ball-peen hammer and put it in a small vice to hold it steady, then started tapping a flat piece of copper shim stook with a small tack hammer.  i must also mention that as soon as i could feel a change in the metal, annealing began time and again.  so how did i do on a first try for a basin this deep?

remember, it's crude and a lot of work is still required...have a look!

aside from the shallow lamp reflectors that i made for another project, for the first try for a sink basin...i'm thrilled!  will it make the lav stand?  i'm not sure, i still have to get it smooth.  i will probably make another using another technique that pockets and i have discussed.  however, the journey is enjoyable and satisfying.  i'm doing it myself!

what of the lav stand?

it's not finished yet, but you get the idea.

enjoy,

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1043 on: Jan 17th, 2012, 7:13pm »

hi all,

for the past few weeks, i've been a buildin' frenzy.  what i've been showing you were the rough forms of what is to come.  well, this past weekend, it was time to go back and start putting the pieces together to form complete pieces ready to be installed.  in order to do that, i had to create some more scale lumber.  in the picture below, i'm gluing in one of the supports for the bunk/seat.  the lumber needed to do that required a mitered leading edge with a 12.5 degree rake...it matching the rake of the bunk.

with the materials available, it didn't take long to cut and fit the pieces to the bunk/seats.  a little more on this step later.

i've been showing you pictures of the conductors' seats, but didn't have the cupola platform ready for mounting.  this was the problem that required a little more thought...not to mention blood, sweat and tears.  the tf cab follows the practice of the central of georgia early cabs.  wanna make it difficult?  try suspending one end of the cupola platform!  the pic below shows the lack of support (left side) for the platform.  why?  because one of the bunk/seats lies beneath it.

i could do it with thicker material (1/2), but that would ruin the look that i wanted to achieve.  i've chosen 1/4 stock...not what i wanted either, but considering the abuse it will receive...?!  i'm also not one to use metal fasteners unless there's no other way.  having built furniture, i'm a dowel (pin) and glue man.  so here's the beginning of getting the cupola platforms ready to install.

first, i built out a ledge on the one wall to match the side wall...and you get a hint of the solution of the half-wall...

...remember the bamboo skewers?  i told ya they com in handy!  brother, they are tough, too!  the hard part was center-drilling the 1/4 inch flat stock and then transferring the drilling coordinates to the half-wall.  titebond is strong enough on its' own, but pinning adds registration and additional strength of the bamboo.

here's the look i was trying for...what do you think?

enjoy,

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1044 on: Jan 17th, 2012, 7:26pm »

hi all,

with all that i was doing above, i also had some time on my hands to come up with a desk.  it was hinted at with this axis section through elevation.

so i did my version of it.

and yes, it is ready for hinges.

i was also working on the lav and basin...not finished yet, but here's the look for them.

and just for fun, i put in a prototype of one of the form boxes hinted at in the cupola.

'nough for tonight...enjoy!

moose

BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1045 on: Jan 17th, 2012, 9:53pm »

nice, nice, nice!

pockets
Historian

« Reply #1046 on: Jan 19th, 2012, 11:03am »

'at's some damfine moose droppin's.....

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1047 on: Feb 1st, 2012, 7:38pm »

hi all,

it's been a busy week...beginning with the weekend.  i decided that i'd put off the electrical installation work long enough.  to that end, the weekend was spent boring, fitting and getting the servo sockets ready.

careful measuring, two pilot holes bored, two overlapping holes with the diameter of the servo connector, and then squaring off with the tang-end of a file...

...the easy part is done!  aslo shown is that the doorway has been framed in.  trimming the door ways for finishing is coming up soon.

with that done on the weekend, monday i started a small project for the centersill end.   not liking the ubiquitous 1"x2" rectangular tube that the hobby is so fond of showing off, i want to draw attention away even for a split-second if possible by providing buffer cap or draw head cap.  most are made of cast metal, but here's my version.

...and how it is likely to appear on the car...

spent today recouping for a bout of illness...i'll be working on the caboose markers, shortly.

enjoy,

moose

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #1048 on: Feb 1st, 2012, 10:22pm »

George , just beautiful work.   Ray III

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1049 on: Feb 6th, 2012, 8:59pm »

hi all,

steamheaton:  ray, you are very kind!  thank you.  it's almost here...can't wait to spend time with you at the unmeet of the 7 feasts!

to all:  the week and weekend has been busy!

it's back to basics, by that i mean that it is time to complete some tasks that have been languishing for sometime now.  while the bending of conduit continues, other tasks pushed ahead.

in the pics below, the doorways are well on the way to being trimmed out and ready.  just a little more is needed to complete the 'a' end.

and of course, the floor has received its' color...

gettin' close enough to begin some final assembly.

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1050 on: Feb 6th, 2012, 9:13pm »

hi all,

door trim aside, the roof also received some attention this past weekend...

it went from this...

to this...

and to give you a hint into the not too distant future,

the unmeet is devilishly close!!

enjoy,

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1051 on: Feb 7th, 2012, 8:39pm »

hi all,

in the moments available to us, pockets and i take the time to stay in touch as time permits.  it is in those moments when we're not otherwise engaged in discussions of our respective projects that we speak of dreams that might become our nightmares.   in the conversation today, pockets noted that i love the oddball equipment that baldwin and ge used to build.  key to that is the locomotive that has been in the back of my mind for the last few years, the GE 23 tonner.

prior to the loco above, as pockets knows me only too well, was the baldwin dt 6-6-2000.  i kitbashed one of those monsters together back when i was in the smaller scales and just fell all over it...it was wonderful to watch it go through a set of ess curves!  i had hoped to one day build one in 1.6" scale.

as the pic above shows, the eje was my pick and the reason my first caboose was built for the same.  our talk finally centered on the origins of the seaboard 4500 babyface loco....the blw #6000.  it would be one of the coolest locos around, possibly just like the prototype, to only one around....

...and possibly the best reason NOT to build it...

however, furthering the insanity, i took some liberty with a couple of scot lawrence's photos...please forgive me, scot.  here's my version of the best of both worlds, center-cabs and narrow gauge...she's a real beaut ain't she!?  a 2ft gauge center-cab!!!

'nuff for now...well, maybe WAY TOO MUCH!

enjoy,

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #1052 on: Feb 7th, 2012, 9:05pm »

Oh, my achin' back! It would be (reasonably) easy to make it a ride in, too. If you're gonna make it that long, let's make it a C-C, too. That would drag Pivo outta Pivo!!!  

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #1053 on: Feb 7th, 2012, 10:17pm »

Greg, Make an A-1-A for the look but not the money.  Put me down for one if you plan on building it.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #1054 on: Feb 8th, 2012, 11:31am »

Tom,
The SR&CL is one of a very few tracks, in the country, that could take her. What a sight, though, with that thing pulling Alina, a dozen cars and that fancy caboose down the hill and across that trestle. Damn.

I'm thinking full fledged diesel electric, on board air and all the amenities. Costwise, she'd be a marriage wrecker, but wives are easier to find than unique locomotives. I wouldn't really want one, but I'd dearly love to build her. Don't EVEN tempt me with a consignment!

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1055 on: Feb 8th, 2012, 8:51pm »

on Feb 8th, 2012, 11:31am, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Tom,
The SR&CL is one of a very few tracks, in the country, that could take her. What a sight, though, with that thing pulling Alina, a dozen cars and that fancy caboose down the hill and across that trestle. Damn.

I'm thinking full fledged diesel electric, on board air and all the amenities. Costwise, she'd be a marriage wrecker, but wives are easier to find than unique locomotives. I wouldn't really want one, but I'd dearly love to build her. Don't EVEN tempt me with a consignment!

Greg B.

....hoookaaaayyyy!  from the ridiculous to the sublimely ridiculous, try and get your minds around this thought, pockets was kindda asking for a c-c derivative, but in thinking of the track gauge and then the total distance from the outside axles, daumn!  how'd it stay on the track?

well, in looking at the pictures of blw #6000 and then seeing how emd did their dd-35's...try this on for size!

i'd estimate that there is a good 1000+ lbs in trucks alone...much less the chassis.  ...and too many cabeesi to afford this one!  

moose

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #1056 on: Feb 10th, 2012, 8:15am »

Moose, nice idea there for the extra truks.  We could pull stumps with that thing.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #1057 on: Feb 13th, 2012, 2:01pm »

Hey Moose, are we going to see that caboose at the Un-Meet? I look forward to seeing you and talking with you. Unforunately, I will not be bringing any home made brew. I was dealing with some issues and ran out of time. Maybe at the next JAX Un-Meet. HINT, HINT
Russ

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1058 on: Feb 13th, 2012, 7:27pm »

on Feb 13th, 2012, 2:01pm, ConrailRed9504 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Moose, are we going to see that caboose at the Un-Meet? I look forward to seeing you and talking with you. Unforunately, I will not be bringing any home made brew. I was dealing with some issues and ran out of time. Maybe at the next JAX Un-Meet. HINT, HINT
Russ

hi russ!

will the cab be at the unmeet?  yes.  will it be complete? no.  as much as i wish it were complete, i also want it done right.  there's no timetable for right, just my decision to make it complete as i can.  i've been pushing to get things done, but decided that being in a hurry would cause results that i wouldn't be happy with.  so, the wirework and electrical work probably won't be complete or perhaps even started.  it will be in final or close to final paint and be recognizable for the caboose that it is....and yes, it will be more than a rolling chassis.

which brings me to an update...sorry, no pics at the moment.  as of today, the entire cab is now in primer coat!   however, the low temps over the weekend stopped any further paint work until this afternoon.  the interior furnishings, with the exception of the bunk-seats and crew lockers, now have a 1st coat of final color.  when the cab interior has had at least to coats of final color, installation of the furnishings will begin.  that should happen sometime friday or saturday.  tomorrow, the window units receive some care.

btw, can't wait to see and be with all of you at the unmeet!

moose

ps...isn't it a good thing that the brown soda is in the fridge!  all i have left to do in that department is the root beer and cherry soda.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1059 on: Feb 16th, 2012, 7:36pm »

hi all,

the unmeet is almost upon us!  i, like many of the others having been spending any and all available spare time in the shop getting my project ready to show.  the push over the last week has been to get the car in paint.  just when you think you've got it about done, there's another part that needs a color coat.  so, the interior is in final color to the point that only touch ups will be needed.  as of today, the entire exterior has at least one color coat!  this is the same color as applied to the ic cab, but in a brushed application.  having used a custon latex on the interior, i thought i had to use the same caution (the interior paint wanted to run like crazy), but with the velspar enamel...you just keep the brush wet and don't try to go over what you've already done.  why?  it sets fast and the brush 'drag' the existing paint away.  when you are using this paint for a wooden-exterior car, it is important to maintain perfect brush strokes to simulate wood grain.  the first coat sets overnight allowing re-painting the next day...paint with the brush 'wet' with paint, don't try and 'dry' brush it.  the second coat will require less paint and will lay flat on top of the first.  if you don't get the greatest coverage on the first coat, don't sweat it.  the second coat will do it!  just be mindful of how your brush strokes look.   btw, don't skimp on the quality of brushes you use...it pays dividends in how the coat application looks when you use the correct brush for the paint.

here's the side that has received its' second coat.

in the pic below, you can see that the 2 vertical surfaces look mottled and thin...they are, but the second coat does the magic.  it was this afternoon that i learned that i could use this paint on a vertical surface and not have it run.  not so with the rattle can version.  with that knowledge from experience, i've reduced my exterior paint time from 4 days to 3.  i'll take that any day!  it means that i'll get to assembly of the details a day earlier.

what else got some attention?  the rooves got their color!  this will be the first time that i've used a light-tint to simulate treated natural canvass.  not all cab rooves were painted or tarred 'black'.  so what is left to finish them off?  the cat walk supports need to detailed 'black', catwalk lumber needs to be installed, and the stove pipe needs to be cut through and installed...a lot to do!  wirework and about a million other things may have to wait.

anywho, enjoy my nightmare!

moose

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »