Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 27th, 2017, 1:23pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29050 times)
pockets
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose

« Reply #1020 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 10:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi, Moosey,
That's gonna look nice. I see that you are still using the drafting whales. Don't let them get away from you...

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #1021 on: Oct 28th, 2011, 9:21am »

George,

Sorry that I did'nt respond quicker. Since the week that Mario and I returned from Tenn. my whole life has been turned 'upsidedown', as you know.  
   Man, that thing is going to look great. The floor is awesome. Well, hell, the whole car is awesome. Such attention to detail.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1022 on: Nov 8th, 2011, 7:51pm »

on Oct 28th, 2011, 9:21am, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

George,

Sorry that I did'nt respond quicker. Since the week that Mario and I returned from Tenn. my whole life has been turned 'upsidedown', as you know.  
   Man, that thing is going to look great. The floor is awesome. Well, hell, the whole car is awesome. Such attention to detail.

hi all,

bruce:  i am humbled by your compliment...it means alot.   there's not alot that i could say about your current situation...chin up, keep plugging, and don't hurt your shoulders!

btw, a few of us will be visiting the florida flywheelers' fleamarket this weekend (saturday, fort meade).  something that you and pete (and the others) might get a kick out of....engines and contraptions that even i can remember running!  if your crew goes, be sure and rent a golfcart..now!!!  almost 246 acres of mechanical heaven!

to all:  in the past week and half, the tf cab got shoved aside and an engineering model (small scale) and track was built for use at a meeting of fdot officials.  on the last day of the build, every piece of machinery i needed to complete the project on-time...broke down.  shad and i managed to develop new processes on the fly.  short story, the build was completed on saturday night at midnight and delivered sunday morning in time to make the transport to tallahassee for a monday meeting.   whew!!

the weakness that we found in my shop was that every work surface was 'full'.  i've organized my work areas as process centers....where the tools for that process are located.  the confused workings of my family members led to 'junkified' work areas that finally became maddening for me.  so, today i spent some time cleaning up.  after all the tools were put in their place, i started cleaning one of my jigsaw area.  it's now clean!  and something else, about 6 months ago, my original jigsaw let go of the pieces that held the upper blade jaw in place.   couldn't for the life of me figure out what was missing.  every drawing put out by the manufacturer didn't go into the individual parts details.  when i priced out a new upper blade jaw, i found it was cheaper to buy a new saw...go figure.

a new jigsaw was purchased and i've been using the ba-geebers out of it.  not the same quality of my original, but workable.  well, today as i was cleaning in places that you wouldn't think to, i found a couple parts that didn't look like anything that i had worked on before.  a thought occurred, a light ever-so dim started,  and the upshot is that the old jigsaw is now back up and running!

ya know?!!  i'll be right back, i'm going to go out and invest in my 'redneck retirement fund'!

moose

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #1023 on: Nov 8th, 2011, 8:53pm »

Nice to see work being done on the Falls Caboose, Moose!  Keep the pictures coming, those floors are gorgeous!

Dean
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1024 on: Nov 12th, 2011, 8:13pm »

hi all,

just back from visiting fort meade and the florida flywheelers'!  my family, wayne and shad had a great time together...sharing fair food, swapping funny stories, looking at all the antique machines that weren't antiques when we first saw or experienced them, and coming up with rube goldberg machines from all the ideas floating around us.  yes, we some how have to get pockets down here for a lot of events!  today was one of those non-train related days that will remain memorable.

pockets:  shad went home with the new jigsaw in his trunk.  i kept the old one.  

since friday was a holiday for me, a little shoptime was in order!  a couple of posts ago, i showed the under-chassis getting worked on.  the pic below is one of the photos.  

...here's a look at some of the new work.

and how the remnant needle beams look.

still a lot of work left on the under-chassis, but you can see where it is going.

dan w.-  have you any drawings and specs for a 'k' type brake system?  would be nice to add such a system to some of the cabs i'm building...you always seem to be able to put your finger in the right documents.
btw these are for you!

enjoy,

moose

Dan Watson
Historian
  LiveSteam/Westinghouse_Freight_Brake_Cylinder_898x319[1].jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #1025 on: Nov 13th, 2011, 9:39pm »

Moose,
Thanks for posting these photos!  Is the newer photo the same caboose?  If so, I'm glad to see that it has been well preserved.
Regarding the Westinghouse K brake, check this link to an old Car Builder's Dictionary:

http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924032183216

The problem with the brake equipment is that there are plenty of diagrams, but not many dimensions.  I guess that Westinghouse was worried about others copying their designs.  However, look on page 655 of the above book; it might be what you are looking for.  See below

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2011, 9:50pm by Dan Watson » Logged
Dan Watson
Historian
  Westinghouse_Freight_Brake_Triplevalve.jpg - 31378 Bytes
« Reply #1026 on: Nov 14th, 2011, 9:34pm »

Here's the triple valve to go with the brake cylinder and reservoir.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Westinghouse_Freight_Brake_Triplevalve.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dan Watson
Historian
  Westinghouse_Freight_Brake_Cylinder_898x319-1-.jpg - 50306 Bytes
« Reply #1027 on: Nov 14th, 2011, 9:52pm »

For some reason I can't get the image of the brake cylinder to show up, so I'll try to post it again with a separate reply.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Westinghouse_Freight_Brake_Cylinder_898x319-1-.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1028 on: Dec 6th, 2011, 7:23pm »

hi all,

yes, we are in between holidays again...thanksgiving...turkey and all, is just a memory.  sigh!  

tf #5 progresses!  with the under-flooring in, it was time to get back to basics of how the car rides the rails.  as pockets rightly guessed, i had some 'adjustments' to make.  the process of building the under-floor 'down' ate into the clearances needed for truck operation, so, i applied some 'judgment' to the chassis and now all is good.

in the photo above, to the right, you can see the trimming of the longitudinal timbers.  had the original design called for a board-on-board building technique, this wouldn't have been required.  while details are important, safe and reliable operation had to take presidence.  

speaking of safe and reliable operation, this car also requires bolster bearing surfaces.  i happen to have a block of delrin plastic and it can in handy!

the photo below shows that one of the blocks has been cut and shaped...just need to cut a recess for the bolt in the foreground.

with the bolster bearing blocks installed, it was time to flip the chassis back onto the trucks and reinstall the body.  to build an interior, i needed two rudimentary walls on the inside of the cupola for placing the cupola flooring.  in the tf caboose, that flooring floats above an open bunk area. it isn't an enclosed 'box' like most cabs had.  here's how i did it, using some scrap materials from earlier builds, i simply 'applied' a filler piece.

why was this piece important?  first, it gives me a shelf to help 'float' the cupola floor.  and second, it gave me the support necessary to put a non-supported wall up.  if you look close, you'll see how i'm going to do it.  you see the 'pins' or 'dowels' below?  yes, you can buy expense hardwood dowel or pins in 1/8", but why not try bamboo skewers?  they are cheap, easily found in the supermarket, and tough!

see?  it's just that easy!

...what wall?  on the 'a' end of the tf cabs, there was a wall to which the lockers attached.  when i first saw the lockers as described by dale grice and allen tuten, i thought they were part of the lavs.  in conversations with both friends, i learned that tf and cofg cabs didn't have toilets.  how strange?!

and something to look forward to 'til the next installment!

enjoy,

moose

Pennsy4483
Railfan

« Reply #1029 on: Dec 7th, 2011, 8:23am »

Moose,

Great information and pictures.  Your work is truly inspiring.  Can't wait until the next installment!

Don

pockets
Historian

« Reply #1030 on: Dec 8th, 2011, 11:05am »

Good stuff, Moosey. I like the bamboo trick.

Hope to be back in the shop, myself, next week.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1031 on: Dec 10th, 2011, 11:49pm »

hi all,

to all:  ya sometimes have to dance with who ya brung...now where have i heard that before?!

taking a car backwards to build into it what wasn't originally designed isn't something i do every day.  it is also something i wouldn't casually invite a novice to do either, but with thought to materials and process, i think anybody with basic woodworking skill could do what i'm doing.  

in the last couple of weeks, i've been privileged to have a number of people like dale grice, allen tuten(president of the cghrs), and the c of g group passing on information that would make the tf #5 build...a successful and accurate build as far as a caricature of an actual car.  i thank them all publicly for their faith and support.  from dale's pics and handdrawn sketches to the c of g groups' research details to allen's knowledge and cghrs's historic archives...thank you, thank you all.

i'd done some work based on knowledge that has since changed (caboose interiors changed by specific types & years), because i've chosen to backdate the cab to the 1910's and 1920's.  the cab had 2 locker storage areas in the 'a' end that in the later cab's, grew to take more space.  i'd already cut out and fitted the framing pieces, but not assembled them.  when i received a particularly helpful drawing from allen, i knew that i had to modify to match.

in the pic below, you can see how the locker frame is proud of the bunk framing.

with the correct data from the time period i wanted, i've made the change.

here's a look back from the 'b' end showing one of the walls in place.

i've progressed from the 'a' end to work on the cupola section.  there will be half-wall sections installed, but that's for tomorrow!

enjoy,

moose

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #1032 on: Dec 15th, 2011, 6:31pm »

Moose,
   Truly some amasing work and attention to detail. This just goes to show ya that the sky is truly the limit. looking forward to seeing more pictures.
Take care,
Russ

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1033 on: Jan 1st, 2012, 8:32pm »

on Dec 15th, 2011, 6:31pm, ConrailRed9504 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Moose,
   Truly some amasing work and attention to detail. This just goes to show ya that the sky is truly the limit. looking forward to seeing more pictures.
Take care,
Russ

hi all,

russ:  thank you for your vote of confidence!  the journey that i am on is one that i hope others will put one foot forward and try for themselves.  it has been and will continue to be my pleasure in teaching others by showing my work...warts and all.  btw, 3 batches on ice!

to all:  there are a small handful here that know of my second passion for cruise ships.  these pages have been dormant over the christmas break for that reason...swmbo and i had a great time.  

below is the vessel on which we had our latest adventure...Allure of the Seas.  she weighs in at just under 220,000 gross tons, is just about 1200' stem to stern, and is just under 200' a beam.  she is a small city at sea with 5400 passengers and up to 2500 crew personnel.

...what a blast to be aboard her!  ...oh, those lifeboats?  their capacity is 350 souls plus 2 crewmen should they ever be required.  btw, she was large enough for her captain to indulge in his passion for old school motorcycles for getting round.

i'm not kidding, he literally did use it to get around the ship!

as pockets will tell ya (he knows me too well), that i use these trips to stop and rethink things in my life that have grown too complicated or just need time to develop a new process.  being away from all matters concerning work and even my caboose-building means that time is available to not concentrate on an immediate process, but to think about what other processes that i could have done.  the tf x5 caboose project is all about rethinking and repurposing one car into another.  in that light, do take time to peruse the photos in the next couple of posts.

happy new year everyone!

moose the refreshed!

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1034 on: Jan 1st, 2012, 8:55pm »

okay, now back to carbuilding...er, rebuilding!

over the last few days, i've been creating small piles of sawdust in a re-think between some research i had done and a drawing that just reached me in december.

the photo below is a clue as to what i did...you can also look back at previous posts to catch the difference.

you can see the updated work here as well...

in the earlier posts, you'll the effect of using data from a much later shopping than the one i wanted, that's what the drawing has shown me.

in the pic below, one of the under benches has been started.

...and i've started the design work of the conductor's bench based on the new drawing.

still needs a little been of work...

that's all for tonight!

moose

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #1035 on: Jan 2nd, 2012, 5:06am »

Moose,
   Wow!!! Thanks for the pictures of the cruise ship. If only I had  more time and money, I would go on cruises. I know what you are probably about to say, "You have to make time, not wait for it to happen." You have the right out look on life. That cab is got to weigh as much as 3 to 4 hundred pounds when you het done with her. You truly cease to amaze me. Can't wait to see you at the Un-Meet. I am working on a batch myself.
Russ

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1036 on: Jan 7th, 2012, 9:44pm »

hi all,

with rush on to get the cab down to the bcrr unmeet, l've left out a few steps of how the work was being accomplished.  here's a look at how the crew lockers are coming together.

the picture below shows how the setup started:

now constructed, here's the structure and modifications for retro-fit, electrical conduit, etc.

...and how this particular locker will fit in the cab.

since this is a retro project, i'm having to work around existing cab structure.  while not a perfect project, it is proving a nice challenge.  one of the other processes that i neglected to show was the demolition of some of tf x5's structural components...not something i take lightly or recommend.  when i built the cupola section, i created corner braces similar to what the furniture industry uses.  

for this retro-fitting project, those braces became a hinderance.  careful use of a hammer and wood chisel made the removal doable.

understand, that i do not recommend this for the average builder...believe me, the cars are going to take a beating over their service life.  in my case, i'll be putting some bracing back in, but you won't recognize it.  more on that later.

enjoy,

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1037 on: Jan 7th, 2012, 9:57pm »

hi all,

onward!  with the corner braces removed, i could move on to the next phase...yes you've seen this photo a couple of posts ago, but now you can see why the braces had to go.

while the photo below shows one of the conductors' benches already constructed, you can see how it was done.

this seat rests atop the bench, but is blocked to keep it from moving.

...how it looks as a unit.

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #1038 on: Jan 7th, 2012, 10:12pm »

hi all,

and finally, we can start to see how the cupola will eventually look.  

can you spot the new corner braces?  

what's next?  the coal box has my attention at the moment.  it is cut out and in a glue jig as i write this...so i'll take pictures of it tomorrow.

enjoy,

moose

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #1039 on: Jan 7th, 2012, 10:29pm »

Beautiful work George!   6 weeks and counting.

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »