Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 23rd, 2017, 8:36am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29247 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose
  geres_commissary_car_5-30-06_003.jpg - 105747 Bytes
« Reply #100 on: May 29th, 2006, 10:49pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

the commissary car that you've been watching on this thread made it's way to the track today.  with my friend alex (his bobber caboose will be finished on this thread as well) at the throttle, we put it through it's paces.  here's a picture of alex pulling more train than he ever thought possible (the commissary car weights more than his engine) and doing a credible job on the rising grades.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-30-06_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-30-06_018.jpg - 74584 Bytes
« Reply #101 on: May 29th, 2006, 11:01pm »

hi all,

here's a picture of it sitting on one of the steaming bays.  being able to see it in bright sunlight allowed me to see a couple of minor detail issues in the paint.  i'll fix those onsite next week.  the shake down runs are for making sure that the running gear works properly.  if you don't do it...it will bite you at an inopportune moment.  usually when the most people are likely to be watching!

more tomorrow night!  it was a great day!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-30-06_018.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TAB
Historian

« Reply #102 on: May 30th, 2006, 10:23am »

Hey caboose…That is beautiful! Congratulations for a masterpiece accomplishment. It is a truly unique car worthy of duplication in any scale. Hmmmm? How could I do this in HO scale? I’m feeling inspired. How about a shot of the other side?…Tom

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2006, 10:24am by TAB » Logged

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
pockets
Historian

« Reply #103 on: May 30th, 2006, 11:37am »

Ya done good, George. Nice shot of Alex, too.

Since you were over, I got the 1/2box 1/2flat  on the stand and have started cutting steel for all of the brackets and brake rigging. Funny, most people don't think of 1/4x1 and 1/8x1-1/2 hot rolled steel as model car building material... Lots of holes to drill and then comes the welding and grinding.

Gotta chase down some Loc-Tite for the axle experiment, so that has the trucks on hold.

Keep on keepin' on.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #104 on: May 30th, 2006, 4:10pm »

Hi,

Been dealing with the Loc-tite people for years. They are rather eager to work with you, and you can locate your local source via the Internet and some local phone calls. Don't be shy about asking for samples, especially if they give you several options. I have used their samples for years, and their products have been used on many of my projects.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
pockets
Historian

« Reply #105 on: May 30th, 2006, 5:20pm »

Thanks, Alan,
I persue this hobby in a state of forced frugality so I will try the sample gambit.

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-30-06_038.jpg - 74220 Bytes
« Reply #106 on: May 30th, 2006, 7:10pm »

hi all,

this thread is about building railcars...bring on the questions, alternate opinions, sources, and solutions!  i'm here to learn as much as pass on what i know (about 2 1/2 minutes' worth ) about building railcars.

tom, this car would be very easy to do in most of the smaller scales...do like the 1:1 guys did, cobble out a 30 or 40 foot box car.  it's just that simple!  well, maybe not that simple, but easy enough if you are handy at cobbling things together.  railroads followed the old 'form follows function' rule.  they had plenty of old box cars and reefers and little capitol to invest in buying new non-revenue equipment.  with more than enough shop carpenters around, they put them to work!

the galley of the car i built could serve several hundred people in shifts (in the dining room) or feed them all in one go in the 'al fresco' cafe.  you could build a provisions car (an old reefer) with a galley, cold and dry storage or build it with a diner car like i did.  in the smaller scales, kitbashing is a lot of fun (more kits available at a cheaper cost).  to buy and kitbash in the live steam scales is expensive for most people.  it's just easier to build from scratch (and a lot more fun coming up with hand-made details!).  because of how this type of car was used, you could add details like washboards, washtubs, water buckets, hoses, clothes lines, and any number of the 'homey' touches the galley crew would have brought with them.  if you decide to build one, you might add roof vents for both the galley and the dining areas.  thanks to a suggestion by pockets, i added an ice hatch to mine.  after all, the ice was free and they usually passed by or near icing platforms.  this is the kind of fun that the smaller scales have, this is the kind of fun we in the live steam scales should be having.

hi alan, thank you for watching this group!  keep doin' it!  let us know what you are interested in?!

pockets, we enjoyed our visit the other day, most inspiring!  forgot the motor though .  i promise to continue to poke around in the live steam mag groups to learn more about copper boilers.  sure would be nice to make more head-way on the cli-shay!

thank you to all for your kind comments on and off list about the commissary car.  here are some more pictures of it.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on May 30th, 2006, 10:23am, TAB wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey caboose…That is beautiful! Congratulations for a masterpiece accomplishment. It is a truly unique car worthy of duplication in any scale. Hmmmm? How could I do this in HO scale? I’m feeling inspired. How about a shot of the other side?…Tom

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-30-06_038.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-30-06_028.jpg - 52687 Bytes
« Reply #107 on: May 30th, 2006, 7:19pm »

hi all,

here's another photo of the commissary car  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-30-06_028.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-30-06_029.jpg - 39127 Bytes
« Reply #108 on: May 30th, 2006, 7:24pm »

hi all,

here's close-up photo of the paymaster's window.  by rights, you could also add a mail slot and appropriate signage.  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-30-06_029.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-30-06_046.jpg - 30758 Bytes
« Reply #109 on: May 30th, 2006, 7:34pm »

hi all,

here's close-up photo of one of the details most in our hobby forget about!  the car has an onboard lavatory and a galley prep sink.   the lavatory glass is frosted for privacy.  the prep sink window was keep clear for light and outward viewing. 

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-30-06_046.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_5-30-06_035.jpg - 71703 Bytes
« Reply #110 on: May 30th, 2006, 7:45pm »

hi all,

and here's how the roof looks in bright sunlight.  next week, the car will receive it's stove pipe skirts and i'm still working out ways of building roof ladders.  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_5-30-06_035.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TAB
Historian

« Reply #111 on: May 31st, 2006, 10:03am »

Hey Moose...Thanks for the photo of the other side...Tom

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_6-02-06_002.jpg - 43273 Bytes
« Reply #112 on: Jun 4th, 2006, 8:53pm »

hi all,

it's been a long weekend at the track.  we put the commissary car through its paces and it did wonderfully!  for two days, it tagged along with the eje caboose and did mile after mile.   it rode solid, didn't wobble (as so many do), and didn't exhibit any toonerville trolley antics like getting airborne.  this car will stick around the track through september , but its sister car, the drover's caboose is heading north on tuesday .  well, i guess you can't have all your 'children' around you all the time!

before it goes, it will the receive one  more set of the details...ladders to the roof.  thursday and friday nights, i worked out a way to build the ladders out of brass shape stock based on a tip from pockets (thanks!  and if i forgot, thanks!).  

with my rudimentary tools (a drill press),  i bored through one side of 1/8th inch square brass tubing marked for the spacing of the ladder rungs.  with that done, i used the piece to aid in marking a second 1/8th inch square brass tube.  from a piece of 3/32 brass rod, i cut the rungs to length for the width of my ladder.  with that completed, i squared up the assembly and soldered it together.  since on my cars, the roofs can be completely removed, i had to find a way to create ladders that wouldn't become damaged in the process.  after thinking about this problem for more months than i care to recall, i decided that the ladders would be done in two sections.  the actually ladder section would remain with the car, and the hoop section would stay with the roof.  easier said than done?

well, getting over the fear of metal doesn't come easy.  again, bruce and pockets to the rescue.  bruce from the not too distant past and pockets for the last few weeks.  i thought i didn't know how to bend square brass tubing in a fairly tight curve.  i can still hear pockets' dulcet tones ringing in my ears..."anneal it $%&*&#, then it will do what you want!"  sorry, i couldn't print what he really said, it was too dull, boring, and chocked full of experience!  i followed his instructions and the photo below shows the results.  

maybe there's hope for me yet when it comes to metal!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_6-02-06_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_6-02-06_012.jpg - 44183 Bytes
« Reply #113 on: Jun 4th, 2006, 9:01pm »

hi all,

here's a view of how the two sections part.  it's the tried and true pin-n-pocket method.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_6-02-06_012.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  geres_commissary_car_6-02-06_042.jpg - 67307 Bytes
« Reply #114 on: Jun 4th, 2006, 9:09pm »

hi all,

i finally got a chance to test fit the new ladder to the commissary car today.  here's a view of how it will look (thanks to pockets for modeling it for me!).  some minor trimming and tweaking, a little paint maybe and it will be ready to mount.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/geres_commissary_car_6-02-06_042.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #115 on: Jun 5th, 2006, 7:46pm »

Well, My Friend,

That is ONE, HELL OFA NEAT CAR. You are outdoing yourself. Pretty soon, your gonna have to hang out a shingle. "George's car and consulting shoppe". Man, all of the cars that you've built are something else.
   And, yea, the picture of Alex is neat too. Glad to see him running his engine.  
George, keep up the beautiful work. Its a pleasure to see.

Take care,

Bruce

« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2006, 7:54pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #116 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 4:07pm »

hi bruce and all,

thanks for your comments!  the further down this road i go, the more thankful i am to all of you for prodding me along.  i still have a bunch of projects left to do this year that i want to try new things with, but for now, i'm turning my attention back to alex's bobber caboose.  and btw, i would love to hang out a shingle...it just might keep that part of the house dry this rainey season!  

bruce, i'm currently talking to a local artist to produce some artwork to put on a hat...just like the camping association!  i know, here i go again!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on Jun 5th, 2006, 7:46pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Well, My Friend,

That is ONE, HELL OFA NEAT CAR. You are outdoing yourself. Pretty soon, your gonna have to hang out a shingle. "George's car and consulting shoppe". Man, all of the cars that you've built are something else.
   And, yea, the picture of Alex is neat too. Glad to see him running his engine.  
George, keep up the beautiful work. Its a pleasure to see.

Take care,

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  alexs_bobber_caboose_car_6-06-06_003.jpg - 49680 Bytes
« Reply #117 on: Jun 7th, 2006, 7:00pm »

hi all,

work has begun again on the bobber caboose.  as of yesterday, it is now a rolling chassis.  the centersill has been bolted to the foundation floor.  the body has now been fastened to the  floor as well.  it is one of the few areas of construction that i don't use glue and rely on hardware.  should alex want to remove the body for repair/refurbishment, six screws allow him the freedom to make a change.

here's how it looks tonight.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/alexs_bobber_caboose_car_6-06-06_003.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #118 on: Jun 8th, 2006, 11:27pm »

'bout damn time.....

Greg B.

TAB
Historian

« Reply #119 on: Jun 9th, 2006, 9:26am »

Hey Moose….I enjoyed seeing your efforts with the ladder. I know the annealing process involves heat. The darkening from its use can be seen on the roof sections. How did you shape the pieces into such uniform curves?

I thought your pining method for joining the ladder sections was an interesting and simple solution that I wish I could use in HO scale. I have done something similar though. I’ve used two short pieces of insulation from a suitably sized piece of electrical wire as a coupling. The sections of insulation are glued to one end and the other ends just slip in.

Thanks so much for letting us all see the documentation of the work you’ve done. It is very inspirational…Tom  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »