Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 24th, 2017, 10:48pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Caboose  (Read 29271 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« on: Mar 11th, 2006, 9:57pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi folks,  

there's been enough interest to warrant a new topic thread for building 1 1/2 inch scale railcars.  follow along as i build mine and share the journey with you.  if you are already building your own equipment, share your techniques, thoughts, and photographs with us on this thread.

moose the caboose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose

« Reply #1 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 6:01am »

George,

I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful wood work. Like we've both said before, one of these day, the old Erie caboose will get a makeover at George's caboose shop.

Take care,
   Bruce

TAB
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 8:08am »

Hey moose the caboose…Starting this topic was a great idea and I’m certain it will be both informative and inspirational…Tom

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 8:30pm »

hi folks,

change is a hard thing for most of us to do.  starting a new thread for ls railcars was a little like jumping off a diving board into a pool.  you can see the water, but you're never sure if you can swim...well, here we are and the water is just fine!  thanks for the insightful shove!

i'll begin posting pictures of the commisary car shortly.  in the next day or so, i'm post a picture of one of the most common railcar foundations that most of us use.   a good looking and operating car starts with a great foundation.  there are as many different ways to build foundations as there are opinions, but i like the idea of not seeing the equipment i build 're-kitified' telescopically(believe me, it's happened to others in the hobby).

til then, thanks for the positive responses,

moose the caboose

livesteamsteve
Railfan

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 9:16pm »

I currently own a 1" scale Little Engines 0-4-0 tank that is currently apart for maintenance/modification.  That will be sold later in the year so I can start my 1.5" Allen Mogul in 7.25" gauge.  I will also will be attending Train Mountain's Triennial 2006 meet in Oregon.

Got Steam!!!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 10:15am »

George,

Please post a couple of pictures of your EJ&E and Wabash units. Those are my favorites. I believe many here would enjoy seeing them.  
   BTW folks, all of the cabeese that hopefully will show up in this thread are scratch built by my friend George and they are beautiful. He is too modest to say this of his work, so I'll say it.

Take care,

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  fun_run_7-30-05_and_delivery_of_drovers_caboose_032-2.jpg - 510848 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 9:46pm »

hi bruce and listers,

okay, okay...i'll post some of the old pictures.  welcome to all who are finding and posting to this thread.  yes, i can be a little shy about my work, but don't be shy about yours.   please feel free to post pictures of your work so we can all first...appreciate what you've done and second...learn how to do what we're doing better.  that's what this thread is all about.

today was a good day in the shop.  the commisary car is beginning to take on some of it's finer details.  tomorrow should see the roof intact and ready for additional details.  i will post updated photographs of it shortly.   for now, enjoy the picture request of my buddy bruce.

moose the caboose

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (510848 bytes, 2048x1536 pixels)

Click Here to View Image fun_run_7-30-05_and_delivery_of_drovers_caboose_032-2.jpg - 510848 Bytes

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  howards_caboose_10-1-04_111-2.jpg - 77278 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 9:51pm »

hi all,

here's another pic to enjoy.  incidently, this photo was taken on the day that we presented howard's wabash caboose to him...was he ever speechless!  one of the few times that i can ever remember.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/howards_caboose_10-1-04_111-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  ex-pond-2.jpg - 108321 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 10:04pm »

and still another pic.  howard's wabash on the run!  this caboose has more miles on the track than howard does.  howard's beautiful wabash diesel has had a wiring problem for more than a year...at least from the time we presented his caboose to him!  we actually started a tradition where any visiting live steamer with a loco could pull his (howard's) caboose  for the day.  as the visiting train goes by the station, we point out the caboose to howard.  howard is convinced that we are going to wear the wheels off of it before he ever gets his engine repaired.  he finally took the engine and caboose home...i think because he didn't want the caboose to reach the million-mile-club before he had a chance to pull it himself!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ex-pond-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  in_station-2.jpg - 133461 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 10:12pm »

here's another picture of the wabash caboose.  i must say that the previous picture and this picture was taken by my good buddy, mikey k.  this young fellow has the knack and spark to take excellant rail photographs.  it has certainly been a treat for me to have him photograph my work.  thanks mikey, hope you will visit soon!

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/in_station-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  fun_run_7-30-05_and_delivery_of_drovers_caboose_027-2.jpg - 548408 Bytes
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 10:32pm »

during one of our fun runs last year, i delivered a new drover's caboose to a friend of mine.  like the first picture i posted, this picture is one of the group of three cabooses i built until december of last year.  i wanted a picture of the cars before they scattered to the northern winds.  for those with sharp eyes, this picture also shows my learning curve for building railcars.  the ej&e was my first attempt, then the wabash, and on to the drover's caboose.  there are four cabooses on the build tables right now.  i'll start posting pictures of them tomorrow night

enjoy,

moose the caboose

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (548408 bytes, 2048x1536 pixels)

Click Here to View Image fun_run_7-30-05_and_delivery_of_drovers_caboose_027-2.jpg - 548408 Bytes

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  drover_1-2.jpg - 18055 Bytes
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 10:39pm »

okay, so i've been showing you all the pretty pictures.  since this thread is about sharing knowledge, here's a picture of the drover's caboose under construction...one with all the 'warts' for all to see.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/drover_1-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  getting_closer_on_drovers_caboose_001-2.jpg - 263558 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 10:47pm »

here's another of the drover's caboose...a little closer to being completed.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (263558 bytes, 2048x1536 pixels)

Click Here to View Image getting_closer_on_drovers_caboose_001-2.jpg - 263558 Bytes

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 11:01pm »

hi rdgtrainman!

thanks for checking in with us.  the allen models mogul you're looking at is a great looking and good running steamer when completed.  there are a number of guys who've built it and made improvements to the basic design.  if this is your first allen models loco, don't be afraid to ask questions...there are plenty of folks out there that could save you hours of head scratching.

enjoy train mountain.  i've not been myself, but those who have say it is not to be believed!  on your return home, let us know what you thought, what you saw, and if you bought any 'toys' while you were there!  one day, i'll get a chance to go there and run.

enjoy,

moose the caboose

on Mar 12th, 2006, 9:16pm, rdgtrainman wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I currently own a 1" scale Little Engines 0-4-0 tank that is currently apart for maintenance/modification.  That will be sold later in the year so I can start my 1.5" Allen Mogul in 7.25" gauge.  I will also will be attending Train Mountain's Triennial 2006 meet in Oregon.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18th, 2006, 6:10am »

George,

Man, I sure am glad you posted some of these pictures. These things are beautiful. And, it ain't braggin if you say so yourself. Not everybody can build cars that nice or at all for that matter. Nice, nice work George.

Take care,

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian
  01200058-2.jpg - 16029 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19th, 2006, 10:14pm »

i've found another picture of the wabash that i don't think has been posted.  

enjoy,

moose the caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/01200058-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 9:16pm »

sorry for the delay folks.

between the largo meet and an over-zealous gardener, i've been offline for a while.

moose the caboose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Apr 5th, 2006, 10:09pm »

Guess I'm gonna have to get some brass for those steps......

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 1:28pm »

hi all,

i've had some marvelous conversations with a few of you, thanks for the voice and off-line contacts.   within the last few months 'we' have endured 'the meet' season.  sounds like i'm complaining...i'm not!  i and pockets had a great time!  we were able to visit with many live steamers from out of state.  if you haven't traveled beyond your home track, you're really missing the comraderie that is the live steam hobby.  

okay, what have i been doing lately?  between computer and shop equipment breakdowns (thanks pockets, for making the piece i needed!), alot of small things have been done to the commissary car.  since i work (leaving in a few minutes) tonight, i'll post the pictures of what i've done tomorrow night.

take care all...

moose-the-caboose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 1:38pm »

hi bruce,

just dawned on me...i like the new 'look' on the erie-atlantic!

moose-the-caboose

on Mar 18th, 2006, 6:10am, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

George,

Man, I sure am glad you posted some of these pictures. These things are beautiful. And, it ain't braggin if you say so yourself. Not everybody can build cars that nice or at all for that matter. Nice, nice work George.

Take care,

Bruce

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  54 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »