Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 1:21pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Welcome to Live Steam and Ride On Scales!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Welcome to Live Steam and Ride On Scales!  (Read 1369 times)
Henry
Historian

« on: Apr 28th, 2006, 10:14am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Welcome to the Live Steam and Ride On Scales board!

This board is for anything related to actual steam powered model trains and model trains you can ride on regardless of the type of power.

Please keep your posts friendly and on topic. Character assassinations, confrontational posts and commercial advertising are forbidden and will be immediately removed. Please refrain from posting copyrighted photos and photos you don't own without permission from the copyright holder.

Thanks and Enjoy,

Henry

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
Re: Welcome to Live Steam and Ride On Scales!

« Reply #1 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 12:46pm »

Henry,

Thankyou for establishing a forum pertaining directly to live steam/rideable large scale trains. I, for one, certainly did not expect the interest or the response seen here in reference to this end of our hobby.

It is a very interesting, enjoyable, different and some times challenging part of the railfan/model railroading hobby. As I've said in a number of other posts, one cannot be a live steamer without being a railfan to a great degree.

To all, I say, jump in, ask questions that you've wanted to ask for a long time. I certainly don't have all the answers in live steam. But there are probably other forum participants that do have the answers we all are looking for.  

Thanks again, Henry, for creating this new forum. I hope everyone enjoys it.

Sincerely.

Bruce

« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2006, 1:23pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
765 fan
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 6:34pm »

Gald to see this finally came full circle.

Head manager of the Chicagoland Railroad.

Pay attention to life, it will surprise you.

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and make everyone wonder how the hell did you do that!?!
Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28th, 2006, 10:33pm »

Awsome! I am glad to see a board dedicated to Live Steam, I'll never forget when my dad got me to become a member at Pennsylvania Live Steamers and the day when i was trusted with a 4-8-4 northern in 1.5 inch scale one day hopefully i'll have my scale 0-4-0 camelback and my reading T1......*dreaming*

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

Coffee
Historian
  train_085.jpg - 147495 Bytes
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29th, 2006, 12:10am »

Glad to see this board finally come about. Having been offline for close to a month, it'll be good to catch up on the action.  

Hey Bruce, Mom decided to stick it out in Florida for at least another year. You may see me again in 2007! This time don't let me walk away without a photo souvenir.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/train_085.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 6th, 2006, 6:40am by Coffee » Logged

Bob

Cleveland, Ohio

Ohio Central Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ohiocentralsystem

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Apr 30th, 2006, 7:30pm »

hi henry,

wow!  thanks for making the consolidation of related threads happen.  not too long ago, i decided that a thread about building live steam scale railcars would be a natural extention of showing people what the most enjoyable part of the hobby was for me (thanks to bruce, greg, and the others for a kick in the pants to get it started).  i also wanted people to add their comments, projects, questions, and solutions for all to enjoy and learn from.  my delimma?  under which moderator to post it.  several moderators (tom...bc&a...thank you both for your support) volunteered their respective sections.  kitbashing was a natural and had several larger scale threads already.  garden railways had a larger grouping of threads about live steam and live steam clubs...not necessarily building railcars.  

while i had to choose just one, i'd hoped that at some point, families of threads could be grouped together.  you did it!  thanks again for making it happen!

moose the caboose (george)

Adam17
Former Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 30th, 2006, 7:44pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Good to see that the board was created. I would really like to see this one go off without a hitch. And Bruce as a mod, then, that makes it perfect. I hope to visit Pennsylvania Live Steamers this summer, so, I do like live steam. I actually have a video of some live steam. Here's the Cagney, from Strasburg.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #7 on: May 1st, 2006, 9:41am »

Hey Bob,

I did'nt know that the photo of you on Brian's Porter even existed. Man I was glad to see it. Next time, we need shots of you on the Mohawk and the Atlantic though.
   Thanks for posting that snap shot.

Take care,  

Bruce

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: May 1st, 2006, 12:52pm »

Hi All,

Best wishes and good luck. I will monitor this one carefully.

And PLEASE, NO MORE DEAD Cockroaches. There was an incident recently with the LA Live Steamers. One dead cockroach and one fellow with compound fractures of the leg. Not a laughing matter.  

Suggestion that was advanced: Any visitor or new comer can be welcome to run his engine to his pleasure, but until he, or she, is deemed competent with the local rules and regulations, that person will be accompanied by an older member. That should prevent split switches and the like. Hopefully, exit dead cockroaches.

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2006, 2:13pm by Pennsy » Logged

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
pockets
Historian

« Reply #9 on: May 1st, 2006, 3:58pm »

Alan,
I'm here to testify that seniority is no guarantee of one's ability to read switches. In a large club, some have yet to gain that ability, some will never have it and some have lost it. That leaves the rest of the group to keep picking up the pieces.

BTW: I'm quite pleased to see this board.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #10 on: May 1st, 2006, 4:33pm »

Alan,

Sorry to hear about the mishap at LALS. That is something none of us in this end of the hobby like to hear. But Greg is completely correct in his comments.  
I sooner work with a few sharp younger guys that are open minded to the way stuff needs to be done than one "older" person, that knows everything, yet knows very little. That is exactly how the "dead cockroach" picture came to be.
   I sort of know that I'm reapeating myself here, but in live steam/ride on scales, they are a bunch of fun, until they are off the track. At that point, the fun is over. Most times, they are off the track due to negligence, not equipment or track problems. Yes, track needs to be maintained, of course equipment has to be kept in good running order. But in the last thirty five years, I've seen more "operator error"
cause more damage than I like to think about.
   Just as a point of interest. There is a good, simple, manual block system at the Largo track. YOUNG JUNIOR members would be placed on visiting trains to PILOT them through so as not to have operating problems. However, SOME operators never did figure out the system. They would just pull off the main and return to the yard. All pi$$ed off.  
   And that was my own personal expierience.  

Bruce

hudsonelectric
Historian

« Reply #11 on: May 1st, 2006, 4:44pm »

And, of course, I have a postcard showing a ride-on train. Okay, so what if it's in an amusement park? It's a ride-on train postcard! I'll look through The Vault when I get home later on.  

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #12 on: May 1st, 2006, 9:01pm »

Hi!
I can see this board becoming really popular!  

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
number90is#1
Historian

« Reply #13 on: May 2nd, 2006, 8:24am »

hi all,

since bout like two months ago when oddly_entertainning showed me live steam ive always dreamed of having one and especially a certain type of live steam. (building a replica 90 that is.) maybe ill get my chance.

Proud Vol. @ the W&W Railroad.
But Strasburg remains #1 in my heart!!
WMSR_734
Former Member

« Reply #14 on: May 3rd, 2006, 7:26am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Congrats on the board fellas, I wish you all nothing but the best!

silver_champion
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 8:10am »

Erie Atlantic, thats a great picture that you posted of a live steam loco.  I would love to be on one.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 9:19am »

Richard,

First of all, thanks for the interest in the live steam end of our hobby. And thanks for the clarification on the engine. Yea, my friend, that Southern Ps4 is one sweet locomotive. I have had the honor of running it both at Dunkin Herring's home track in Rock Hill, SC, and at the BCRR in N. Ft. Myers, Fl. Its really a special treat when a guy turns over his pride and joy to you. Its a very nice compliment to a fellow live steamer.

Thanks again,  

Take care, Merry Christmas,

Bruce

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2006, 9:20am by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
JET
TRAINing

« Reply #17 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 10:31am »

Bruce: I am new to this forum but i am very impressed with your photos
look forward to meeting you Next week at the Buckingham Central . we will be flying down Tueaday and will be at the Buckingham central with Bruce Saylor and Dave Johnson Thursday + Friday  
again great job on photos

Joe Tanski
Eden NY

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 1:40pm »

Joe,

Good to have you here on railfan.net. Thankyou for the nice compliments. I also look forward to seeing you at Pete's place.  

Safe travels,  

Bruce

JET
TRAINing

« Reply #19 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 1:14pm »

Bruce : Please thank John and the rest of your Crew they sure made up feel welcome
out of the 4 meets we attended on this trip Your was at the top of the list. Your railwork, and facilities were really great but the Hospitality of your group was outstanding. If you are ever up in the Buffalo Are please look me up
Thank You Once again for hosting a great meet

Joe Tanski
Eden NY

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »