Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 5:49am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Morris & Essex Division
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   The Lackawanna
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Charlie Ricker)
   The Morris & Essex Division
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Morris & Essex Division  (Read 2165 times)
Mike Dickinson
Chaser
Re: The Morris & Essex Division
  Lackawanna/Backup_of_EL_sample.wbk (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #40 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 5:41pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Mark, What I am trying to do is collect Shippers and Consignees from the EL,Erie and DLW.  I am modeling the EL Southern Tier Mainline in my area. My layout is modeled from Jamestown NY Eastwardly to Olean NY. I am using my version of carcards(attached), and want to use real names not madeup ones. I know that things changed over the years.For me the name and city  will be good enough for my likes.
Mike Dickinson

Erie3319
Railfan
  Near_Morristown.jpg - 168119 Bytes
« Reply #41 on: May 3rd, 2006, 12:54am »

NEAR MORRISTOWN on the Morris & Essex.  Judging from the sun angle, the train is apparently eastbound, perhaps west of the Morristown yard.  Yep, just another day!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Lackawanna/Near_Morristown.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2006, 12:55am by Erie3319 » Logged
Erie3319
Railfan

« Reply #42 on: May 3rd, 2006, 1:02am »

on Apr 26th, 2006, 5:41pm, Mike Dickinson wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mark, What I am trying to do is collect Shippers and Consignees from the EL,Erie and DLW.  I am modeling the EL Southern Tier Mainline in my area. My layout is modeled from Jamestown NY Eastwardly to Olean NY. I am using my version of carcards(attached), and want to use real names not madeup ones. I know that things changed over the years.For me the name and city  will be good enough for my likes.
Mike Dickinson

Great!  Are you looking for a specific time frame(s)?

Mike Dickinson
Chaser

« Reply #43 on: May 3rd, 2006, 6:01pm »

Mark My timeline is during the EL years 1960-1976
Mike Dickinson

Erie3319
Railfan
  Hoboken_1.jpg - 83321 Bytes
« Reply #44 on: May 10th, 2006, 6:57pm »

ON THE WATERFRONT, 1 of 3
The D.L.& W. float bridges in the freight yard south of the passenger terminal at Hoboken, one bright winter day.  Note the long shadows from the south. The coal transfer pier is on the left.  Switcher #300 drills a transfer lighter with a long "handle" of cars.  This view was taken from a platform on the light tower shown in 3 of 3.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Lackawanna/Hoboken_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2006, 9:32am by Erie3319 » Logged
Erie3319
Railfan
  Hoboken_2.jpg - 126999 Bytes
« Reply #45 on: May 10th, 2006, 6:59pm »

ON THE WATERFRONT, 2 of 3.  This view, from the same vantage point as the previous one, looks in the opposite direction.  The ramp end of the coal pier is at the right.  Loaded coal cars were hauled up the steep ramp by a  cable drawn "barney' car, emptied, and returned by gravity via the other, lower, ramp shown.  Just the the left of the coal pier's ramps, the large warehouse in the distance is the Lackawanna's Hoboken freight station.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Lackawanna/Hoboken_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2006, 9:38am by Erie3319 » Logged
Erie3319
Railfan
  Hoboken_3.jpg - 92291 Bytes
« Reply #46 on: May 10th, 2006, 7:01pm »

ON THE WATERFRONT, 3 of 3.  Here's a ground level view looking back toward the float bridges.  Our (unfortunately unknown) intrepid photographer apparently shot the two previous pictures from the lower level platform on the light tower.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Lackawanna/Hoboken_3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2006, 9:41am by Erie3319 » Logged
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

RS_HOB_JAY_562x602.jpg - 54921 Bytes
« Reply #47 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 1:28pm »

Erie 3319 or I haven't added much to this thread in  while, so when I came across my friend Jay Held's photo of this RS-3 at Hoboken, I wanted to share. I think the composition and the use of a tele lens is great!

CF

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Lackawanna/RS_HOB_JAY_562x602.jpg
Click Image to Resize

One down, one to go.......
Erie3319
Railfan

« Reply #48 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 8:12pm »

on Sep 11th, 2006, 1:28pm, CAR FLOATER wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Erie 3319 or I haven't added much to this thread in  while, so when I came across my friend Jay Held's photo of this RS-3 at Hoboken, I wanted to share. I think the composition and the use of a tele lens is great!

CF

CF,  Thanks for the post--and the boost.  I've come across some interesting material of a historical nature recently and will post as time permits.  Thanks again!

the 3319

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Sep 12th, 2006, 10:17am »

on Sep 11th, 2006, 8:12pm, Erie3319 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

CF,  Thanks for the post--and the boost.  I've come across some interesting material of a historical nature recently and will post as time permits.  Thanks again!

the 3319

Excellent, I'm glad I could provide a little gumption, and I am most assuredly looking forward to iwhat you have in store for us!

CF

el3681
Chaser

« Reply #50 on: Dec 31st, 2006, 3:35pm »

You can add to the list of shippers the dairy that was located just west of Broad st. Newark ( on south side of tracks) and the LARGE freighthouse / team tracks just west of Orange Station....I don't know when they stoppeed recieving cars ..I'll check with my father, he worked on M&E Div late 50's early 60's, I remember him talking of providing flag protection for Eastbound trains working at dairy and in orange/east orange

J Mc
el3681
Chaser

« Reply #51 on: Dec 31st, 2006, 5:01pm »

Talked with my father ..he offerred the following in Newark, the dairy was Borden's located at Orange St. also the location of the Newark Team tracks, in East orange at Clinton St was a siding that recieved Swifts refrigerated boxcars and a coal dock ....In Orange just west of the station was the Orange team tracks DL&W #44 worked here daily , dropped off milk cars, these are in addition to the already mentioned brewery in Orange.   Dad believes the milk traffic to Orange had ceased by the time of the merger...

J Mc
ERIELACK
TRAINing

« Reply #52 on: Mar 26th, 2007, 9:42pm »

Not sure I have this protocol correct, but the message is for CAR FLOATER regarding the old D L & W activity in the vicinity of Chatham NJ where kids used to walk the tracks and collect deposit Ballantine Ale bottles (probably discarded by train crews) in the early 1950"s. Wilson's lumberyard on the  east side of town was a favorite place to figure out where the spurs rejoined the main tracks and where we could (thinking innocent fun) change switches that were not locked! Remember lying in bed at night hearing steam engine braking routines that suggested our foolish activity had created attention. Erielack

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2007, 9:51pm by ERIELACK » Logged
R36_7_Train
TRAINing

« Reply #53 on: Jul 19th, 2008, 12:09am »

on Apr 21st, 2006, 2:47pm, Erie3319 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
CONVENT STATION  Morristown Line milepost 27.69  Elevation 382 feet.
Like Madison, this is an image of the nineteenth century station prior to replacement.  Note the "bellcast" roof, traditional in Lackawanna stations of the 1880s, but applied to a two story structure here.  This station building was replaced by the current one in 1913-14.  It was then, and still is, the stop for the College of St. Elizabeth, whose well manicured lawn extends to meet the westbound station platform on the right.

The original wood Convent Station opened in 1876 as a station to serve the Academy of St. Elizabeth. I have the current brick station as dating to 1912/1913, I'm sure it was not built in 1914. If anyone knows more, reply. The 1876 wood station did house a post office.

« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2008, 3:43am by R36_7_Train » Logged
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #54 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 1:51pm »

Since there is like zero activity here on this forum, here area couple of links to my favorite part of the M&E, the Warren RR, or Old Road. Nothing beats old abandoned tunnels, and the Warren had some great ones -

OXFORD TUNNEL

http://lostinjersey.wordpress.com/2009/03/22/oxford-tunnel/

http://rides.webshots.com/album/570631177IbHTDK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bytenik/2854932656/in/pool-659424@N24

MANUNKA CHUNK (VAN NEST GAP) TUNNELS

http://www.stuofdoom.com/manunka.html

http://www.steamphotos.com/gallery/3405984_hFJN7/1/201193254_8hbPw#201193254_8hbPw

http://www.steamphotos.com/gallery/3405984_hFJN7/1/201193254_8hbPw#201193254_8hbPw

http://lostinjersey.wordpress.com/2009/03/22/manunka-chunk-railroad-tunnel/

Enjoy!

CF

Erie3319
Railfan

« Reply #55 on: Sep 23rd, 2009, 8:14pm »

Thanks, CF!  This forum is nearly as quiet at the Oxford Tunnel..you can almost hear the water dripping.

tommy meehan
Historian
Re: The Morris & Essex Division-Through Freights

« Reply #56 on: Aug 29th, 2010, 12:23pm »

As we approach the first anniversary of the last post in this thread I have a question which may  
or may not restart things. We'll see.  

In a roundabout way this came up in a discussion on another list -Lackawanna operating  
through freights and coal trains via the east end of the M&E. That this was done up until the  
1950s. The person who stated the above did not offer anything else so I am left with  
several questions.

If you read history, the Boonton Branch was often called the Boonton Low Grade Line and  
it was originally constructed in the late 1860s specifically for coal. Or at least that's what  
Lackawanna said at the time.

The one freight train I can easily see using the M&E would've been the hot overnight  
merchandise  
train to Buffalo that originated in Hoboken. So perhaps coal traffic destined for the Hoboken  
yard used the M&E for the same reason?

Otherwise a problem I see is getting a freight from the M&E into the main freight yard at  
Secaucus.

In the Lackawanna era they had the Kingsland Branch (not shown on the map that started  
this thread or on the station listings, both of which are great) from the M&E to the Kingsland  
Shop complex. (The shops were on the Boonton Branch and the MU fleet was maintained  
there for many years.) I think they could access Secaucus that way. That there was a wye at or  
near Kingsland where they could 'change directions' and head east towards Hoboken
passing Secaucus en route.  

I guess Lackawanna also could've used the wye at West End to get an eastbound road freight  
from the M&E into Secaucus yard. But then the eastbound would be entering the yard  
'backwards' if you know what I mean.

Finally, a couple personal observations.

Railfanwise, Lackawanna's Secaucus freight yard seems to be one of the least written  
about, least photographed parts of the DL&W. Some of the yard tracks still existed in the  
late 1960s (though not much) when I first rode through the area on an Erie mainline train.  
When you rode the Erie mainline trains the old yard track was to the left going west after  
the County Road grade crossing. It was mostly weedgrown then though I seem to recall  
an occasional cut of cars in there. I think Conrail tore it out completely.

In the EL era I occasionally saw drills using the Kingsland Branch though by then the track  
looked pretty bad. At least the part I saw from the windows of passing MU trains in the  
Jersey Meadows. The branch came in just west of where the M&E ducked under the Pennsy  
high line to Penn Station if I remember right.

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2010, 12:28pm by tommy meehan » Logged
tommy meehan
Historian

« Reply #57 on: Sep 4th, 2010, 4:41pm »

on
08/29/10 at 12:23:14, tommy meehan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
As we approach the first anniversary of the  
last post in this thread I have a question which may or may not  
restart things. We'll see.  

Moving right along, I have managed to contact a couple of former  
EL employees that say that, in the EL years anyway, there were  
no through freights operating on the M&E. Reasons are the hilly  
profile, a 15'5" maximum clearance and the abundance of suburban  
passenger trains on the line (which was double-track between  
Denville and Maplewood).  

Except the poster on the other list said there were through  
freights operated on the M&E through the 1950s, meaning  
before EL was in existence.

One former EL man grew up in Morristown (1949-1960) and  
he says he never saw anything other than local freights on  
the line back then.

He says for some reason or another EL did operate CS-9 via  
the M&E one Sunday. Lucky it was a Sunday too, because the  
train pulled a knuckle on the Summit grade and another  
between Convent Station and Madison.  

tommy meehan
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Sep 4th, 2010, 9:48pm »

on Sep 4th, 2010, 4:41pm, tommy meehan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Reasons are the hilly profile, a 15'5" maximum  
clearance and the abundance of suburban  
passenger trains on the line (which was double-track
between Denville and Maplewood).

That should be Denville and "Millburn."

Also, a former EL train service employee says, the
15' 5" clearance on the M&E was at three locations-  
Roseville Cut, Summit station and East Hanover
 Avenue in Morris Plains.

Erie3319
Railfan

« Reply #59 on: Dec 7th, 2010, 11:15am »

on Sep 4th, 2010, 9:48pm, tommy meehan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

That should be Denville and "Millburn."

Also, a former EL train service employee says, the
15' 5" clearance on the M&E was at three locations-  
Roseville Cut, Summit station and East Hanover
 Avenue in Morris Plains.

You present some interesting thoughts here, but I think many people may be mislead by the statement, here and elsewhere, that the Boonton Line was built to handle the coal traffic that resulted from the DL&W lease of the Morris & Essex Railroad.  Coal was certainly the main motivating factor, but this should not exclude freight traffic in general.  Hoboken could be reached via the Boonton Branch just a easily (and probably more so) than the M&E main line.  The Kingsland Cut-off was not built until the twentieth century and them primarily as a means to reach the freight yard at Harrison from Secaucus without having to foul the M&E main.

As a freight route the M&E main was tortuous, but in an emergency could be used if proper precautions were taken.

Mark

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »