Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 20th, 2017, 9:37pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Hanover And Newport Branch
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   The Lackawanna
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Charlie Ricker)
   The Hanover And Newport Branch
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Hanover And Newport Branch  (Read 2727 times)
XPLORER
Historian
Re: The Hanover And Newport Branch
  HN_HANOVER_YARD.jpg - 30761 Bytes
« Reply #40 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 2:16am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hanover Yard

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Lackawanna/HN_HANOVER_YARD.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Krup
TRAINing

« Reply #41 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 8:46pm »

Great Job!!!! I used to live in that area and go back to visit friends. Your research has been a big help in a trolley/railroad presentation a freind and I are doing tomorrow.  
Keep up the great work!

WVTransplant

View Profile  

« Reply #42 on: Nov 23rd, 2007, 7:42pm »

"The Plymouth Side"

I took an hour or so to explore the Plymouth side of the H&N.  Unfortunately, the area is terribly grown in and destroyed by 4-wheelers.  The photographs are largely of the area surrounding the first trestle, and are limited to the Plymouth-side of the wye.

I attempted to use my Sport Trac to drive down the dirt road that leads to the River, but the brush was so thick that it hit both sides of it.  I'll need to buff out the finish come spring.  In addition, the mud holes were at times half-way up my tires (which are 31's--so they were 15-16" deep at times).  Unless you have a 4-wheeler, you really can't get to the river.

Much of the fill on the way to the river is gone.  I don't know if farmers leveled it out, or if erosion during floods lowered it.  In addition, the scrub brush--even when dead--is very, very thick and distorts the landscape.  Regardless, unlike the east side of the access road, anything on the west side and to the river is nearly impossible to discern.  At times, I can only assume the road that leads to the river is what is left of the fill.

I'm preceding the photos with a key.  The numbers correspond to the pictures, and the arrows correspond to the directions in which I faced when taking the pictures.

(1)

The first trestle would have begun somewhere where the fill ends.  The river is to my back (and very far off).  I searched for a while but could not find any concrete footprints in the brush.  I can only imagine that flooding deposited sediment over them, or alternatively, they simply were removed by landowners.

(2)

A view of the fill leading to the wye.  The fill ends to my left.

(3)

Walking towards where the line broke into the West Nanticoke and Plymouth legs of the wye.

(4)

Continuing.  The switch would have been in front of me--somewhere.  (Did I mention that this area is largely distorted?  )

(5)

What a find--a tie, with a plate, and three spikes in it.  Don't go looking for it--it's no longer there.    I'd rather have it then it become buried under dirt from those who wheel on the path.

(6)

The quad path continues between the Plymouth and West Nanticoke legs of the wye.  The West Nanticoke leg is very, very difficult to make out (not in the shot--by my best guess, I should have been standing on it, or at least the base of the fill).  I don't know if it was leveled, but it seemed like it was.

(7)

Standing on what I think is the West Nanticoke leg of the wye and facing the Plymouth leg.  The Plymouth leg is overgrown with trees and brush such that it's very, very difficult to walk in it.  In addition, its top contour is not level from the growth.  The West Nanticoke leg is largely gone.

(8.)

Looking across where the first trestle began.  It actually would have gone at a slight angle to the right.

(9)

I wish I brought a shovel!  At the base of the fill leading to the first trestle, I dug with my shoe to show what looked to be a wooden retaining wall.  I could not find a corresponding wood construct on the left side, but I did not dig much there.  If I have the chance, I will come back with a shovel and see how much of it I can expose (without destroying the 4-wheelers ramp up).

(10)

This is the beginning of a dirt road that I think parallels where the first trestle stood as well as the roadbed to the river and becomes what I think would have been the fill to the river bridge.  I am facing the fill that I explored in the photos above.  This part of the road was the best--I'll say it again: unless you use a 4-wheeler, do not try to take back a car or truck on this road.  The mud gets deep, and the road is extremely narrow.  You'll find yourself regretting it in the spring when you buff out your finish.  [If you're wondering about property--this road was posted on the left side (photo right), but not the right.

(11)

Is this part of a footer for the first trestle?  I have no idea.  I tried moving it, but it was very, very firmly in the ground.  Three sides of it are rough (the last photo shows the smooth side).  I thought perhaps it is all that is left from the wear and tear on a concrete base, but it's not quite at the angle in which I'd imagine the trestle traveling.

(12)

I dug with my foot to expose more of the smooth side.  It's smooth quite a ways down.  I just have no idea why there's a piece of iron or steel (looks like an oversized rail spike) in it.  The iron makes me wonder if this was just a fortuitously placed piece of sidewalk or something from many years ago.

(13)

Looking down the road that terminates at the river, you can see how overgrown it becomes.  The water here is a small one.  As the road continues, some take up the whole road and are quite deep.  To the right is what I assume would be the remnants of the fill.  But, there's nothing like the tall stuff on the opposite side of the access road.

Though I drove further back, I did not take photographs.  If you look at Google's 2007 satellite maps, and follow this road, you can see near the river's edge what looks like a remnant from a concrete support (it looks like three white squares, in the shape of an upside-down triangle.  You may be able to access it from the road that comes from further south (it appears to bend and begin following the river north).  [If I don't get back there tomorrow, hopefully someone else can investigate this.  Using Google maps, it appears to be at the right place for the bridge across.]

Well, that's it.  I had high expectations of finding concrete remnants, etc., but it looks like the river and folks have taken their toll on this end of the H&N Branch (e.g., you can barely make out the West Nanticoke leg of the wye, as it appears to have been leveled).  But, I hope this gives you an idea of beginning of the branch.

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2011, 11:12pm by WVTransplant » Logged
Dover_Drill
TRAINing

« Reply #43 on: Sep 18th, 2008, 8:30pm »

Hello  Xplorer

You appear to be THE authority on the H&N Br.  I would love to meet you or at least talk with you.  I am interested in spending a day or two on the Br this fall.   My Cell number is 201-919-1625.   Please give me a call at your convience.  Thanks Bob Bahrs

cnj42583
TRAINing

« Reply #44 on: Mar 17th, 2009, 10:14pm »

the streetcar in your photo is on the hanover line of the wilkes-barre traction company.  the peoples railway ran from nanticoke into the hanover section and ended there.  i would like to know if you were able to get any train photos on the h&n branch.  i am local.  i reside in the buttonwood section of hanover twp.

XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #45 on: Apr 4th, 2009, 3:17am »

on Mar 17th, 2009, 10:14pm, cnj42583 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
the streetcar in your photo is on the hanover line of the wilkes-barre traction company.  the peoples railway ran from nanticoke into the hanover section and ended there.  i would like to know if you were able to get any train photos on the h&n branch.  i am local.  i reside in the buttonwood section of hanover twp.

Thanks for the correction regarding Peoples & WBT co. I do not have nor have I come across any live action photos on the H&N. Other than what you see in aierial shots I come across. I have communicated with what may be one of the last persons to cross the old bridge on the H&N while working for te EL. He claims to gone as far as Loomis but never had a camera. He has told me the lines from Loomis to Truesdale and Auchincloss were long gone by that time.  

Most the old neighbors from Loomis Park have passed on or I would go ask and ost of them I would think were to poor to own a camerea back in the day.  

Funny I resided in Buttonwood for a few years and moved out about 4 years ago.
Next to last house on the right going up Pulaski.
RR  

grvolans
Railfan

« Reply #46 on: Jun 10th, 2012, 12:11pm »

hi. what road do you take to get to concrete city? thank you. greg

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »