Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 20th, 2017, 9:43pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Lackawanna Cut-off (Columbia to Port Morris)
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   The Lackawanna
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Charlie Ricker)
   Lackawanna Cut-off (Columbia to Port Morris)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Lackawanna Cut-off (Columbia to Port Morris)  (Read 8648 times)
njvike
Historian
Re: Lackawanna Cut-off

« Reply #120 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 1:12pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Mar 16th, 2005, 11:03am, Chuck_walsh wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 So, don't get the cameras out just yet, although I do predict that the empty right-of-way shots of the Cut-Off will some day be valuable because you won't be able to get them any more.

That's why I have, and still am, getting those shots. I have almost every stop with the exception of being on top of the Viaduct. Anyone every climb to the top? I had thought about it but think it's more than likely a dangerous thing to do. Perhaps a brisk walk from either Blaristown or Slateford Jct. would be much safer

Chuck_walsh
Chaser

« Reply #121 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 1:54pm »

There's a trail and a long-abandoned access road on the southeastern side (up the embankment) from the Paulins Kill Viaduct off of Station Road.  If you're real brave, I believe you can still climb up from below through the arches.

mikedc3
Enthusiast

« Reply #122 on: Mar 24th, 2005, 2:20am »

Ken,
To get to Port Morris Tower, Go to the Grand Union in Landing on Lakeside Bvld.
Go around to the rear parking lot. In the corner you will see a dirt road. walk up it through a little field and you will come to the ROW. The tower is right there. Up on the hill behind it there is a railfan bench with a garbage can too. You can look over the East end of the yard from there.  
One neat thing near the tower is the old pole that once held a radio repeater as well at telegraph lines. The pole is fallen now but all of the repeater brackets are still on it.

We need to meet up and do some exploring one of these days.

Here's some pics:

This is an air operated switch machine that is located right above the bridge over the river that connects Lk Hopatcong to Lk Musconetcong. The track heading away  is the wye track into the yard. This is the last remaining rail on the Cut Off.

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2005, 2:21am by mikedc3 » Logged

Check out my northern NJ Railroad and Canal pictures at: http://photobucket.com/albums/v37/MIKEdc3/
Password is pics
Hope you like em.
njvike
Historian

« Reply #123 on: Mar 24th, 2005, 3:57am »

on Mar 16th, 2005, 1:54pm, Chuck_walsh wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There's a trail and a long-abandoned access road on the southeastern side (up the embankment) from the Paulins Kill Viaduct off of Station Road.  If you're real brave, I believe you can still climb up from below through the arches.

Chuck,

Thanks - I think I will try this other option before climbing through the arches

njvike
Historian

« Reply #124 on: Mar 24th, 2005, 3:59am »

Michael,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!! I know where that Supermarket is.

I'm going soon.

Ken

Movieman
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #125 on: Apr 5th, 2005, 3:34am »

on Feb 23rd, 2005, 3:19pm, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yeah thank the town of Blairstown for that.    

Blairstown was never against having the train running again. When the town sold the station to it to its current resident they restored the inside of the station waiting room with all its wood moldings,original windows, original tin ceiling and original light fixtures. When they sold the property there was a stipulation in the deed to the property that the mayor and town council put in, that once the cut-off is restored for rail service that they vacate the station and the town would repay them at the original price they bought it for.

on Feb 21st, 2005, 2:12am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I saw a shot of the Cutoff Bridge from 1957 and WOW! The Lackawanna kept the bridge painted a bright white! It looked so great and with a Lackawanna F unit pulling a passenger train it looked like a train set! It would sure be nice to see it like that again. Who is responsible for the bridge today? DL, NS, NJT? There's been talk over the years of rebuilding the line for active passenger service. I'm not holding my breath but who has rights to the old DL&W row - DL, NS, NJT?  
In any case fresh white paint would help protect it...
Jim...  

The Viaduct over the Delaware was never painted, I know what picture you are talking about  and with the sun shining on it looks like it was painted but was not, I have a color photo of the bridge from 1946 and you clearly see there was no paint on it.

hummel1237
Historian
  nsivan1-3.jpg - 72326 Bytes
« Reply #126 on: Apr 5th, 2005, 4:09am »

on Apr 5th, 2005, 3:34am, Movieman wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 The Viaduct over the Delaware was never painted, I know what picture you are talking about  and with the sun shining on it looks like it was painted but was not, I have a color photo of the bridge from 1946 and you clearly see there was no paint on it.

Yup, you're right. I was looking at some pics I took of the bridge myself and one sunny day it has that same bright white look...

Jim...  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Lackawanna/nsivan1-3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Movieman
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #127 on: Apr 5th, 2005, 5:34pm »

At the begining of this tread there were a few books that was talked about, where can I find these books as well as video and maps of the Lackawanna cut-off as well as the whole DL&W line. I already have books from the Morning Sun Books but would like to add more books to my collection. I hope you guys can help me locate DL&W information  
Thanks  

njvike
Historian

« Reply #128 on: Apr 5th, 2005, 6:26pm »

on Apr 5th, 2005, 5:34pm, Movieman wrote:       (Click here for original message)
At the begining of this tread there were a few books that was talked about, where can I find these books as well as video and maps of the Lackawanna cut-off as well as the whole DL&W line. I already have books from the Morning Sun Books but would like to add more books to my collection. I hope you guys can help me locate DL&W information  
Thanks  

Besides Morning Sun Books, try these two:

Amazon.com You would be surprised what they carry. They also have listings of some other book dealers that carry out of print books and can even do a search for you. http://amazon.com

The other site you might want to try is the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at:
http://www.erielackhs.org/ and then there are train shows in which I picked up a few good books.

When I visited Steamtown last winter, they had some pretty good books on the DL&W from Thomas Taber and several others. Unfortunately, they haven't added a shopping cart or even an inventory to their site. They said they're working on it.

Good luck

Chuck_walsh
Chaser

« Reply #129 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 9:47am »

The two definitive books on the Lackawanna Cut-Off, in my opinion, are Taber's Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in the Twentieth Century and Greenberg's/Rosenthal's book The Lackawanna in Northwestern New Jersey.  Both books have been in and out of print, but I'm sure you can find them if you look hard enough.

Chuck

Movieman
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #130 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 5:05pm »

Thanks Guy thoughs are the books I am looking for, but the only book I can find is  The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad, the Road of Anthracite Volume II by Thomas Townsend Taber and the price was over $200.00. If any one else Knows where I can find these books at better price please let me know.
Thanks

njvike
Historian

« Reply #131 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 5:25pm »

on Apr 6th, 2005, 5:05pm, Movieman wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks Guy thoughs are the books I am looking for, but the only book I can find is  The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad, the Road of Anthracite Volume II by Thomas Townsend Taber and the price was over $200.00. If any one else Knows where I can find these books at better price please let me know.
Thanks

Give Steamtown a call and ask them to look in their inventory before making the trip. I believe the do have the Taber DL&W in the 20th Century. I also recall someone mentioning that there might be a reprint so this might be it.

The Greenberg's/Rosenthal's book The Lackawanna in Northwestern New Jersey I found on eBay. It did cost me $65 but it's worth it.

he  

Movieman
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #132 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 6:20pm »

I did find all three of Thomas Townsend Taber books (reprints) at http://www.erielackhs.org/ELHS/ELHSShopBooks.html each book is under $60.00 now I just have to find The Greenberg's/Rosenthal's book The Lackawanna in Northwestern New Jersey. I emailed the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society about The Lackawanna in Northwestern New Jersey since they have so many other books and Items about the Lackawanna railroad they may be able to find that book for me. Now after I get my books I hope to see the Cut-Off open soon, so I can ride it after I read about it.
Thank You to everyone who has replied to my post.

merrsdad
TRAINing

« Reply #133 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 9:55am »

I was driving up Rt 80 yesterday and saw the old rail bridge across the delaware by Columbia.  Couple of questions.  Am I correct in thinking this is the cutoff bridge?  Once it crosses into PA, where do the tracks go?  Is the cutoff Route the windy track along the river?  Can't imagine Lackawanna would spend the money for the cutoff and then have that windy route once they hit PA.  Also, on another topic, where about was the EL-CNJ wreck in relation to Rt 80?

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #134 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 10:18am »

on Apr 11th, 2005, 9:55am, merrsdad wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I was driving up Rt 80 yesterday and saw the old rail bridge across the delaware by Columbia.  Couple of questions.  Am I correct in thinking this is the cutoff bridge?  Once it crosses into PA, where do the tracks go?  Is the cutoff Route the windy track along the river?  Can't imagine Lackawanna would spend the money for the cutoff and then have that windy route once they hit PA.  Also, on another topic, where about was the EL-CNJ wreck in relation to Rt 80?  

Yup, that's the cut-off. The curves in PA came first. Before the cut-off was built the DL&W used part of the B&P in Portland PA to the Warren RR in Delaware NJ. This is called the Old Route and ran to Washington NJ, connected to the M&E rr and went to points East/West from there. Ofcourse the Lackawanna eventually incorporated all three of these roads into its system. The curves bend around the mountains and most likely saved time and money. Blasting through mountains and building extra tunnels/bridges between Stroudsburg PA and Slateford PA was avoided. As for the wreck I thinks there's a thread about that in here somewhere...

Jim...

Chuck_walsh
Chaser

« Reply #135 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 10:21am »

Dear Merrsdad,

If it was a concrete bridge, yes, this was the Lackawanna Cut-Off bridge (formally known as the Delaware River Viaduct).  In PA, the Lackawanna contemplated realigning the line, even considering tunneling through, but the cost must have been prohibitive.  With all the realignments that were performed between 1900 and the 1st World War, this probably was foregone for a reason.  Also, don't forget that the Delaware Water Gap was touted as a "scenic wonder", so if the train had to slow down to pass through, it probably wasn't seen as a big problem since the passengers would get a better--and longer--view.  However, the Point of Gap curve at 40 mph (25 mph for freight) has been a source of problems over the years, and the scene of several derailments, a couple of which were nothing short of spectacular.  I don't know if the EL-CNJ one you are referring to occurred there.  Since these freights went up the CNJ to High Bridge, then over the High Bridge Branch to Chester Jct. and then on to Scranton via the DL&W, the derailment you refer to could have occurred anywhere inbetween.  Maybe you could be more specific.

Chuck

merrsdad
TRAINing

« Reply #136 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 10:32am »

Thank you Jim and Chuck,

My name is Rob, I forgot to sign before.   I can't believe any train would go 25 mph on that track, never mind 40!!!  The wreck I'm talking about was at Point of Gap where the engines and cars rolled into the river.  Thanks for the info!

Rob

Chuck_walsh
Chaser

« Reply #137 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 11:13am »

Rob,

The two wrecks, both westbound, that I know of off the top of my head occurred in ca. 1947, where a locomotive and tender left the tracks and went directly into the river at Point of Gap, the rest of the train stayed on the tracks and screeched to a halt up the line; the train reportedly had exceeded 100 mph on the Cut-Off.  The conductor had to somehow explain to the folks in Scranton that his train no longer had an engine and that the engine was in the drink.  In 1958, a cut of about 15 cars got loose off the wye track at Port Morris (someone forgot to set the brakes), hitting the rear markers on the caboose on an eastbound freight as it frantically tried to get into Greendell Siding, and was chased across the Cut-Off by an engine that tried in vain to catch the cut; the cars piled up at Point of Gap.

Chuck

Movieman
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #138 on: Apr 11th, 2005, 3:34pm »

If you would like to know what is going on today along rails from the end of the cutoff (Slateford Jct) to Scranton Here is a link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DelawareLackawanna?yguid=154962623.  
they have a lot of information there as well as when they will be running trains in the area for all of us to watch.

merrsdad
TRAINing

« Reply #139 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 8:21am »

Thanks Jim, that's it.  I've driven the road along the Delaware from Delaware Water Gap to Columbia.  Where abouts did this occur?  From the picture you included, it looks like its right along the road.

Rob

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »