Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 12:00pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Lackawanna Cut-off (Columbia to Port Morris)
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   The Lackawanna
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Charlie Ricker)
   Lackawanna Cut-off (Columbia to Port Morris)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Lackawanna Cut-off (Columbia to Port Morris)  (Read 8650 times)
njvike
Historian
Re: Lackawanna Cut-off
  njt.jpg - 60066 Bytes
« Reply #100 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 2:07pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Located just before the entrance to the NJT - Port Morris Facility.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Lackawanna/njt.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Chuck_walsh
Chaser

« Reply #101 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 2:18pm »

I'm not sure when the 3rd track was removed.  The two remaining tracks survived until 1984 when Conrail removed them.  The switch to go from two tracks to single track is located about roughly one mile west of Brooklyn-Stanhope Road (CR 602).  Of course, the Cut-Off was originally double-tracked, but was mostly single-tracked in 1958-59 in anticipation of the EL merger.

Chuck

Chuck_walsh
Chaser

« Reply #102 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 2:32pm »

Good work!  The snow gives a more dramatic effect than a snowless right-of-way.

njvike
Historian

« Reply #103 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 3:35pm »

on Mar 1st, 2005, 2:32pm, Chuck_walsh wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Good work!  The snow gives a more dramatic effect than a snowless right-of-way.  

Thanks Chuck.

I have another series which I'm about to post. Unfortunately, I know little of this route. Perhaps you or someone in this forum can provide details if I'm incorrect.

I will start a new thread called Bits & Pieces - Chester Junction.

See you there.

njvike
Historian

« Reply #104 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 3:36pm »

on Mar 1st, 2005, 2:18pm, Chuck_walsh wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm not sure when the 3rd track was removed.  The two remaining tracks survived until 1984 when Conrail removed them.  The switch to go from two tracks to single track is located about roughly one mile west of Brooklyn-Stanhope Road (CR 602).  Of course, the Cut-Off was originally double-tracked, but was mostly single-tracked in 1958-59 in anticipation of the EL merger.

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for clarifying this. Will NJT double track the cut-off or just a single track? I would say double, correct?

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #105 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 7:16pm »

Excellent series, Ken.  

I'm always amazed that so much remains unimpeded by development.  At least reclaiming the cutoff won't mean a legal battle with Walmart.
-Charlie

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
njvike
Historian

« Reply #106 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 3:02am »

on Mar 1st, 2005, 7:16pm, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Excellent series, Ken.  

I'm always amazed that so much remains unimpeded by development.  At least reclaiming the cutoff won't mean a legal battle with Walmart.
-Charlie

Chalie - Thanks. Yes, it's nice that the Walmarts or the real estate developers haven't destroyed all of them yet. Until that time comes, I hope to get in as much as possible.

I'm so glad for the rails-to-trails organizations for many of the abandoned lines that are still in place.

Ken

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #107 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 3:43am »

You've been busy Ken! Great research and pics as always...

Jim...  

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #108 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 4:49am »

Thanks, as always, for your terrific contributions, Ken. It's encouraging to see that so much of the Cutoff is still more or less intact -- evidence that restoration would be a big job, but not impossible. Yet.

- Bob

njvike
Historian

« Reply #109 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 9:40am »

on Mar 1st, 2005, 2:18pm, Chuck_walsh wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Chuck

Chuck,

You just answered another question that I had I was going to ask you about the double track since I stopped at the Greendel (Green) and Johnsonburg stations and it appears that these were recently single-track. I did see some pictures that indicated that Greendel had been double-tracked but I didn't see any old pictures of Johnsonburg.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Chuck_walsh
Chaser

« Reply #110 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:07pm »

Well, actually Greendell was originally three tracks (two main tracks and a long siding).  With the single-tracking on the line in '58-'59, Greendell went down to two tracks, and then later the siding was shortened in the mid-1960s.  Greendell also had a siding that went into the creamery, making it four tracks wide near the station and tower there.  Here's a link to a shot of the east end of the Greendell siding looking out onto the Pequest Fill.

Chuck

http://www.njstaterailroadmuseum.com/html/the_cut-off.htm

njvike
Historian

« Reply #111 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 5:02pm »

on Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:07pm, Chuck_walsh wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well, actually Greendell was originally three tracks (two main tracks and a long siding).  With the single-tracking on the line in '58-'59, Greendell went down to two tracks, and then later the siding was shortened in the mid-1960s.  Greendell also had a siding that went into the creamery, making it four tracks wide near the station and tower there.  Here's a link to a shot of the east end of the Greendell siding looking out onto the Pequest Fill.

Chuck

http://www.njstaterailroadmuseum.com/html/the_cut-off.htm

Chuck,

Thanks again for the clarification and the website. I really like it.

Here's one you might enjoy. I really like this site as well:

http://www.gsmrrclub.org/HISTORY/history5.html

njvike
Historian

« Reply #112 on: Mar 2nd, 2005, 5:07pm »

Chuck,

I really want to see the Port Morris tower. I will hit that area next. How far away do you estimate it is from the Brooklyn-Stanhope Rd? I did ask NJT for permission to see another tower at their yard but was rejected in a nice way

Chuck_walsh
Chaser

« Reply #113 on: Mar 3rd, 2005, 6:55am »

About a mile or so east on the right-of-way.  Access might be a little easier from the station at Lake Hopatcong.  As long as you stay away from Port Morris yard itself, no one will bother you.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #114 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 3:23pm »

I love the pics and maps you guys posted.  They really help me get a better feel for a place I haven't visited yet.  Just think- CR tore those tracks out in violation of a court order!

It's a cool idea to rebuild this line but I'm not holding my breath.  As an earlier post said, in 2000 the gov't said it would run by 2002, in 2002 they said it would be operating by 2005, etc.  The states and the "feds" are just too slow to get something like this organized quickly.  And considering the recent budget cuts at both levels, where's the money coming from?

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2005, 6:37pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Chuck_walsh
Chaser

« Reply #115 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 3:31pm »

BTW, Jerry Turco, who was the owner of the Cut-Off for a few years, and who wanted to tear out the fill and replace it with grabage, has died at the age of 78.  Turco divided the Cut-Off into eleven different corporations in NJ, one for each town it passed through, and separate corporations for the two viaducts.  The state eventually acquired the line for $21.4 million.  He bought it for about $1 million in 1985.  Pretty good profit margin I'd say.

njvike
Historian

« Reply #116 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 5:50am »

The following is an article that appeared in  
our northwest NJ edition of the Star-Ledger newspaper.

Transit projects clear another hurdle on Hill - Lackawanna Cut-off included  
in House bill By Jim Lockwood, Star-Ledger staff, March 11, 2005

Millions of dollars for transportation projects in Morris, Sussex and Warren  
counties advanced yesterday under a $284 billion, six-year highway and  
transit bill passed by the U.S. House of Representatives.

However, last year the House passed a similar transit bill, but it failed to  
come up for a vote in the U.S. Senate, said U.S. Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen  
(R-11th Dist.). Likewise, this new version must first gain approval from the  
Senate and then be signed into law by the president before funds can flow,  
he said.

The bill also includes, for the first time, language that makes a top  
priority of reviving passenger service on the former Lackawanna Cut-off  
railroad as part of New Jersey's "Urban Core."

"This is another milestone in our continuing fight to restore the  
Lackawanna Cut-off, get cars off our overcrowded highways, reduce air  
pollution and improve the efficiency of rail service in northern New  
Jersey," Frelinghuysen said.

The proposed Lackawanna Cut-off would link the Poconos and New York City  
through a passenger railroad that restores an abandoned rail line in Sussex  
and Warren counties

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #117 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 8:59am »

All Right!!! This will bring the word "Lackawanna" back in a big way! When can we expect to see work begin? Not that I would take pictures or video...

Wouldn't it be cool if DL ran the service? It has the two of the main words of old. I have an idea - Delaware Lackawanna and Eastern - The DL&E...

Jim...  

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2005, 9:03am by hummel1237 » Logged
Chuck_walsh
Chaser

« Reply #118 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 11:03am »

President Bush has threatened to veto this bill if it went over a certain amount.  I think this may be just under the wire.  This bill would open the door to federal funding of the project, although I don't believe that there's any appropriation in this bill for the Cut-Off itself.  The bad news is that the state of New Jersey would have to come up with the non-matching portion (possibly up to 50% of the total project cost).  Given the amount of red ink on the state's ledgers right now, we are at best several years away from funding the Cut-Off project.  So, don't get the cameras out just yet, although I do predict that the empty right-of-way shots of the Cut-Off will some day be valuable because you won't be able to get them any more.

njvike
Historian

« Reply #119 on: Mar 16th, 2005, 1:10pm »

on Mar 16th, 2005, 8:59am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
All Right!!! This will bring the word "Lackawanna" back in a big way! When can we expect to see work begin? Not that I would take pictures or video...

Wouldn't it be cool if DL ran the service? It has the two of the main words of old. I have an idea - Delaware Lackawanna and Eastern - The DL&E...

Jim...  

Yes, it would be I'm still a bit pestimistic until everything has been signed. I just hope it doesn't take too long to complete otherwise we will be using walkers to help us get those pictures  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »