Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 20th, 2017, 4:13pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Bloomsburg Division
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   The Lackawanna
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Charlie Ricker)
   The Bloomsburg Division
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Bloomsburg Division  (Read 11682 times)
opt98
Enthusiast
Re: The Bloomsburg Division

« Reply #180 on: Dec 7th, 2006, 10:41pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Dec 3rd, 2006, 5:12pm, S-12_Dave wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks for the update John. My goodness how things have changed. When we were young, those rails were NEVER rusty.

Dave

Dave:
Those rails shined all the time with the heavy rail traffice it took.
I lived next to the tracks on Schuyler Ave in Kingston up until I was four. I remember the trains going by my house once a day to transport cars to the Simpson Building Supply warehouse on Wyoming Ave and to Bertels Metal Ware Co on Rutter Avenue.
Thanks to Conrail's quick abandonment of the Bloom from Edwardville to Berwick and the PNER's wonderful history it did to the line, no wonder the rails are rusty!
John

opt98
Enthusiast
  TRAIN_PHOTOS-Kingston_80s_page_16_726x518.jpg - 52217 Bytes
« Reply #181 on: Dec 7th, 2006, 10:57pm »

on Dec 3rd, 2006, 5:12pm, S-12_Dave wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks for the update John. My goodness how things have changed. When we were young, those rails were NEVER rusty.

Dave

Dave:
Here is another photo of the Bloom during the waning days of Conrail operation.
This one is the Conrail switcher approaching the Union Street, Luzerne crossing in May, 1983.  Take note of the crossing signals the line used during the EL days of operating two through trains.
These signals were removed two years after PNER took over.  
JOhn

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Lackawanna/TRAIN_PHOTOS-Kingston_80s_page_16_726x518.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Andyt293
Historian

« Reply #182 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 3:45pm »

on Dec 6th, 2006, 9:58pm, Matthew_Langworthy wrote:       (Click here for original message)

...like how the ROW was stripped so the owner could remove the culm underneath?    

Yep!  Actually it was prime coal that was deemed too large to go through the breaker at the time the trestle was built.

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2008, 10:13pm by Andyt293 » Logged

If I stand in Grandma's back yard in Georgetown and close my eyes real tight, I can still hear CNJ freights grinding up the backtrack......and smell the smoke from the brake shoes of a Tuscan Century 628 as it leads NE-84 through Georgetown Interlocking on its way to a meet with the D&H at W-B.....
opt98
Enthusiast

« Reply #183 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 5:18pm »

on Dec 7th, 2006, 10:41pm, opt98 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Dave:
Those rails shined all the time with the heavy rail traffice it took.
I lived next to the tracks on Schuyler Ave in Kingston up until I was four. I remember the trains going by my house once a day to transport cars to the Simpson Building Supply warehouse on Wyoming Ave and to Bertels Metal Ware Co on Rutter Avenue.
Thanks to Conrail's quick abandonment of the Bloom from Edwardville to Berwick and the PNER's wonderful history it did to the line, no wonder the rails are rusty!
John

I did forget to mention the movement of some key industries on the line which contributed to the rusty rails of today--Simpson Building Supply which was a big shipper on the line then. They moved to the Hanover Industrial Park; Acme Warehouse which turned to trucking after its experience with PNER. Acme eventually closed. Royer Foundry in Kingston closed. Hilsher Paper Box Company closed, Nelson Furniture closed it doors.
Not to mention the Coal Industry which closed down after the Knox Mine disaster and the Agnes Flood which finished any mining in the area.
I think the only Kingston shipper, North Branch Lumber, has not used the rail to its yard since early in 2005.  With Lowes coming to Edwardsville, who know what will happen to them.
John

opt98
Enthusiast
  TRAIN_PHOTOS-Kingston_80s_page_17_674x489.jpg - 49333 Bytes
« Reply #184 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 10:39pm »

To Rick & Dave:
Here is another photo. Same date, May 1983. A Conrail switcher is approaching the Union Street, Luzerne Crossing.
The train had traveled earlier from the Acme Warehouse, Forty-Fort  to pick up empty cars and stopped at Nelson Furniture, Kingston.
The Bloomsburg line had seen a freight train at least three times a week when this picture was taken.
Today, the line rarely sees any trains.
John

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Lackawanna/TRAIN_PHOTOS-Kingston_80s_page_17_674x489.jpg
Click Image to Resize

S-12_Dave
Railfan

« Reply #185 on: Dec 11th, 2006, 6:36am »

John, Thanks again for your recient photo's.  I notice the gates are not down as the Conrail job approaches. ( typical Conrail lack of maintenance...the signals at Shoemaker worked well into PNR, no thanks to Conrail or PNR....they just refused to die ) I used to catch the EL F units at Union St. during the mid 70's as I did a school "co-op" program at a busness nearby. I remember those gates very well as most crossings up and down the Bloom only had signals....no "gates". I  was also able to watch the LV West Pittston branch from the same spot.....those were the days!

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2006, 6:41am by S-12_Dave » Logged
XPLORER
Historian

« Reply #186 on: Dec 11th, 2006, 4:51pm »

I thought it might be time to move this in here where it belongs. Photo by Bob Pennisi, on the Bloom at West Pittston passing the Glen Alden Shops. I picked this up at the Carbon County RR show. I did not know it was in his book.  
RR

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2006, 3:08am by XPLORER » Logged
opt98
Enthusiast
  1979_EL_RAILROAD_KINGSTON2a.jpg - 428324 Bytes
« Reply #187 on: Feb 8th, 2007, 11:47pm »

on Aug 6th, 2006, 3:13pm, S-12_Dave wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Many, many thanks John! That shot off of the LV trestle is fantastic! Just beyond Slocum St. was the spur that ran up to the Harry E coal breaker! A model of which I am working on right now. The area in view of your photo was a real "hang out" for myself and my friends when I was young....about 10 years earlier than your photo. Thank You for adding to the memories! I know I posted the below photo before, but in view of your great image off the trestle.....I thought I would post this one again. Note the yellow water tower....just barely visible beyond it, is a short siding that the Forty Fort lumber Co. used for shipments. I used to walk to school down the Bloom every day. In 1970 I went to 8th grade at the Dana St. School in Forty Fort. I used to get off of the tracks at that siding. I clearly remember the NYS&W cars that used to be spotted there....full of windows for the lumber company. ( I thought the "Suzy Q" cars were great )
By the time of your photo, the LV tracks that also used to squeeze under the trestle just to the left of the EL tracks were gone.  
Dave

Dave:
Here is the photo of the Bloomsburg Branch looking south toward Kingston. The date is May, 1978. Note the crane in the distance. The North Cross Valley overpass was being built over the Bloom at this time.
The photo, like the one submitted earlier, was taken from the LV trestle in Forty-Fort.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (428324 bytes, 1800x2716 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 1979_EL_RAILROAD_KINGSTON2a.jpg - 428324 Bytes

S-12_Dave
Railfan

« Reply #188 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 7:17am »

Thanks again John!

I have vivid memories of the "Cross Valley" being built. At the time of your photo, I was working on Union St.  at  Ligus Electric, re-winding electric motors. On slow days I would look out the back door and watch them grading the elevated roadway. The switch that is in view in your photo is the spur that used to run behind and parallel with Union St.....behind your place of employment along the creek and up to Luzerne Lumber. A small trestle crossed the creek so that the DL&W could spot cars in front of their big white storage building. I think to this day there are tracks visible in Luzerne Lumbers parking lot just above the storage shed. That trestle got washed away in "72".

wjclvrhs

« Reply #189 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 5:54pm »

on Feb 3rd, 2006, 8:53am, XPLORER wrote:       (Click here for original message)
More! This is now in the area of the Hunlocks PO and the UGI Power Plant. The station was purchased I think in the late 70's early 80's and turned 90 Deg with a foundation. It now faces down river.

Just a clarification: My recollection of this station begin about 1960. At that time, it had already been moved onto a conrete block foundation with garage space, turned 90 degrees, and sidewalls replaced, apparently to be used for a home. There was also a signalman/flagman shanty nearby. I believe the owner's plans changed, because over the next 30 years I saw no further work on the site.

wjclvrhs

« Reply #190 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 6:03pm »

on Feb 4th, 2006, 7:18am, XPLORER wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ah!! They did not turn it in to an Alley yet.

See Maurice's posts below.

I know the guy that owns this place these days. It is a machine shop with appartments on top.

The building to the right was the Kingston Packing Company (note the door). Schuyler Avenue School is the red brick building in the distance, on the left. This branch seved a building supply company on Wyoming Avenue, about two blocks away, and was the line to Pettibone Colliery.

WVTransplant

View Profile  

« Reply #191 on: Mar 5th, 2007, 9:26pm »

Great historical shots!

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2011, 10:47pm by WVTransplant » Logged
Andyt293
Historian

« Reply #192 on: Mar 5th, 2007, 10:36pm »

on Feb 8th, 2007, 11:47pm, opt98 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Dave:
Here is the photo of the Bloomsburg Branch looking south toward Kingston. The date is May, 1978. Note the crane in the distance. The North Cross Valley overpass was being built over the Bloom at this time.
The photo, like the one submitted earlier, was taken from the LV trestle in Forty-Fort.

Is is me or is there a yard limit sign in the lower corner?  Did the Yard Limit of Kingston Yard extend that far north?

If I stand in Grandma's back yard in Georgetown and close my eyes real tight, I can still hear CNJ freights grinding up the backtrack......and smell the smoke from the brake shoes of a Tuscan Century 628 as it leads NE-84 through Georgetown Interlocking on its way to a meet with the D&H at W-B.....
Maurice
Chaser

« Reply #193 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 2:54am »

I haven't checked the forum in a while, so I thought I would update the current status of the Kingston Area of the Bloom.
Mid State Lumber (formerly North Branch Lumber) still gets a car or two a month, usually center beam flats. There is a Clay Products company in Forty Fort that occasionally gets a boxcar. They have a ramp near the former location of the Lehigh Valley overpass. Boxcars are left right on the main. Biscontini now rents out their warehouses to another company that does not use rail service. The run around track at Kingston in the location of the old yard hasn't been used in years. The Luzerne and Susquehanna does a "flying switch" to get cars ahead of the locomotive when dropping cars at Mid State.  
While we are talking about the Bloom, I recently discovered an industry that used rail service many years ago. I was touring a new bank in Kingston which is right next to the old Chapin Lumber company building pictured earlier in this post. The bank chose to decorate with old photos of Kingston. One in  particular that caught my eye was centered on the Wyoming Seminary Football stadium. You could see part of the Kingston rail yard and to my suprise a fuel oil dealership with it's own siding next to the Royer Foundry. The site today is a park. Another business that once had rail service off the Bloom was General Cigar factory in Kingston. Up until recently the rails of the siding were still there, but that area has now been paved over. This was just north of Kingston yard on the east side of the tracks.

Maurice
Chaser

« Reply #194 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 8:48am »

Found this shot of Shoemaker St. crossing and a work gang repairing the road. The house has changed but the cellar doorway is the same. Notice the Stegmaier Beer sign. Wonder if they stopped for one before calling it a day?

S-12_Dave
Railfan

« Reply #195 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 8:41pm »

Maurice,
Thank You for posting that very cool photo of the Shoemaker St. crossing. As you might know, I grew up on Shoemaker St. so that spot is very special to me. My guess is that the photo was taken in the late 1930's or early 1940's....but is there an exact date given with the image? As you can see, there were two tracks back then....they tore out the set closest to the photographer around 1966 or 67.  

Many Thanks,

Dave

Maurice
Chaser
Re: The Bloomsburg Division-Kingston Roundhouse demolition

« Reply #196 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 8:15pm »

Dave, I will check that when I get home tomorrow. Am at work right now.  
Thought some of you might like to know that the former D.L.&W. roundhouse in Kingston is being demolished. They started yesterday I am told. Sorry to see it go but it was in sorry state.

Ashley_John
Former Member
Re: The Bloomsburg Division-Kingston Roundhouse demolition
  DLW_RH1.jpg - 53813 Bytes
« Reply #197 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 11:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Jul 20th, 2007, 8:15pm, Maurice wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thought some of you might like to know that the former D.L.&W. roundhouse in Kingston is being demolished. They started yesterday I am told. Sorry to see it go but it was in sorry state.

Glad I took pictures when I did.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Lackawanna/DLW_RH1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Ashley_John
Former Member
  DLW_RH_INT2.jpg - 45882 Bytes
« Reply #198 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 11:32pm »

Interior from the back.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Lackawanna/DLW_RH_INT2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Ashley_John
Former Member
  DLW_RH_INT1.jpg - 53031 Bytes
« Reply #199 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 11:33pm »

Interior from the side.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Lackawanna/DLW_RH_INT1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »