Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 26th, 2017, 6:04am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LVRR Dushore trestle  
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LVRR Dushore trestle  
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LVRR Dushore trestle    (Read 171 times)
jgh3
TRAINing
LVRR Dushore trestle  
  TrainWreck1905No2.jpg - 96412 Bytes
« on: Aug 17th, 2016, 1:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I am trying to create a 3D CAD drawing of the old Dushore Trestle.

I have collected many photos, but no drawings (best one so far attached).

Any help welcome, and if and when I finish this project it will be free to anyone who wants it.

Thanks!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/TrainWreck1905No2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

jgh3
TRAINing
Re: LVRR Dushore trestle  
  Dushore_Trestle_sm3.png - 498584 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27th, 2016, 3:15pm »

I have finished my first draft of the Dushore trestle. I downloaded XYZ data and compared it to old topo maps to obtain the terrain around the trestle in order to place the base supports, work around the Little Loyalsock Creek and Mill Road. A rendered png view of the 3D trestle model is attached.

Things that I know are wrong, the base supports, looks like from the photos they were concrete, also I know I over simplified the cross supports, just can see through the pictures into the interior of the trestle. Also the abutments at the creek are pure guesses.

Wish I could walk over and check out to see if the bases near the creek are still in place, just cant since I injured my back putting me into a wheelchair.

The overall length of the trestle is roughly 580 ft bank to bank. That would be some 80 in HO scale. The trestle was 50 ft (some 7 in HO scale) at its deepest. Going to work on a more manageable shortened version for my layout next.

Again, anyone who sees an error please let me know, I just want to get it right!

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (498584 bytes, 632x353 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Dushore_Trestle_sm3.png - 498584 Bytes

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2016, 3:23pm by jgh3 » Logged
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27th, 2016, 4:49pm »

jgh3, that's a nice rendering!

Just a couple of random thoughts--

1.  In your photo, some of those footings look like they are made of concrete blocks, or perhaps even dressed stone, rather than poured concrete.  Is this a possibility?

2.  Do any traces of the right of way remain?  If you know the precise location of this trestle, you might see a fair amount of detail on Google Maps  ( http://maps.google.com ).  You may even be able to get a rather accurate frame of reference for the scale, the precise locations of the footings, etc.  Even if all you can see is straight down, it would at least tell you whether the footings still exist-- and if there are nearby streets, the "Street View" from those locations (which can be panned up and down as well as side to side) may give you further information.

I wish you well,

Norm

jgh3
TRAINing
  Trestle_on_North_Side_sm.png - 346468 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27th, 2016, 6:57pm »

Norm,

Thank you!

Although I used Google Maps and Google Earth (has older satellite and topo maps that can be viewed) I did not think to use the Street View. Unfortunately no joy. They erased most traces except on the North Bank (see photo) where the foundations can be seen.  

I know that they used dressed stone, and concrete, You are probably right in that they lay preformed concrete block on top of the dressed stone as I think can be seen in the blow-up of the wreck photo also attached. in next reply.

John

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (346468 bytes, 434x306 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Trestle_on_North_Side_sm.png - 346468 Bytes

jgh3
TRAINing
  Close_Up_Foundation_sm.png - 416234 Bytes
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27th, 2016, 7:00pm »

Norm,

The closeup of the foundations appear to be stone and concrete. Just no way the edge could be that uniform with stone.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (416234 bytes, 509x345 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Close_Up_Foundation_sm.png - 416234 Bytes

jgh3
TRAINing
  2005_Sat_with_best_guess_of_path_sm.png - 291265 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27th, 2016, 7:07pm »

Norm final photo, a 2005 Sat photo was taken in the winter it appears, great no foliage.

The old Station is still there, building to the far left. The track passed square to the large building in the photo, but as you can see most remnants have been removed.

Oh well it makes it interesting. Use to do reverse engineering for the USMC before I retired from the USN as a Naval Architect.

John

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/2005_Sat_with_best_guess_of_path_sm.png
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »