Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 26th, 2017, 1:34am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Historian John 'Jack' Koehler
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Historian John 'Jack' Koehler  (Read 231 times)
Brian_Coblentz
Railfan

« on: Aug 16th, 2016, 11:38am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I just want to let everyone know that my grandfather John 'Jack' Koehler is not doing well and has been sent home with hospice care. With that said, he is still in good spirits and we watched several of Keith Bednar's railroad videos over the weekend.

Although John never worked for the Valley, at a very young age, you would find him taking photos of steam power and cabooses. Over the years, John amassed a pretty unique collection of almost every diesel and caboose paint scheme that the Valley has for each unit over the years. John became friends with Herb Trice (sadly passed away 2 years ago) who himself was a Valley historian for the New York area. John became friends with the Bednar boys as he calls them and attended many of the Lehigh Valley Railroaders association meetings.  

John always welcomed anyone to his house who wanted to talk Valley or Weatherly history. My grandfather quickly gave me the train bug as he took me frequent rides on the Valley with the branch engineers he knew. Sometimes we would go from Weatherly to Allentown all day without telling my grandmother so that was always a treat.  

Anyway, if anyone has any messages or wants me to pass on anything to John, please message me and I will see what I can do. Thanks.

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Historian John 'Jack' Koehler

« Reply #1 on: Aug 16th, 2016, 5:01pm »

Brian -

I am very sorry to hear that your Grandfather isn't doing well. I recently lost my "train buddy", aka my Father to cancer at the end of June. Just like in your case, he was the person who "gave me the train bug". It sounds like you (as I did, too) are having some last moments to spend and cherish with him, and that helps, trust me.

Best wishes to you and your family during this tough time.

Ralph Heiss

One down, one to go.......
Brian_Coblentz
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Aug 22nd, 2016, 11:23am »

It is with great sadness that I announce that my grandfather passed away early this morning. I will miss all of his LVRR stories and chasing trains with him. Rest in Peace Pop Pop

Henry
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Aug 22nd, 2016, 12:14pm »

Brian,

I am very sorry for your loss.

Henry

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23rd, 2016, 3:56am »

I got a call from Brother Mike with the sad news. Jack was a super guy and with his passing went so much knowledge about the M&H division.
   I think Jack knew more about the operations on the M&H then anyone. He could tell you when track was put in and removed. He had a great collection that he was always happy to share.
   The old story is you do not know what you have lost until it is gone. That sure will be the case with Jack. I knew him for over 50 years and every time we would talk was a treat !
   God speed old pal.   Keith

FrankieJ
Enthusiast

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24th, 2016, 5:39pm »

My deepest condolences to you and your family, Brian. I wish that I had the opportunity to meet your Pop Pop. May God bless all.

Frank
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Aug 24th, 2016, 8:21pm »

Sorry for your loss, Brian.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
irn750

View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Aug 25th, 2016, 9:07pm »

Brian So Sorry to hear of Jack's passing.   He was a great guy and always had a smile when I talked to him.  I hope you can keep passing on his memories.  I never met anyone with his knowledge of the Hazleton area. It can never be replaced.  He will truly be missed.    Danny.

Brian_Coblentz
Railfan
  14079983_996864563763359_870127899125903848_n.jpg - 123218 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31st, 2016, 10:34am »

Thank you all for the well wishes. It's hard to believe he is gone. However, he would have been so humbled by the turn out of those who came to pay their respects. Also, he would have been so elated to see so many Valley engineers all in one place. Attached is one his last photos with NS LVRR Heritage that made it to Hazelton PA.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (123218 bytes, 960x540 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 14079983_996864563763359_870127899125903848_n.jpg - 123218 Bytes

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Sep 1st, 2016, 5:41pm »

Brian, I am so sorry for your loss. Sounds like Jack was one heck of a nice person and I'm glad you could spend his last days together.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »