Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 16th, 2017, 11:25am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV Coxton to Sayre
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LV Coxton to Sayre
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV Coxton to Sayre  (Read 2438 times)
TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

Re: LV Coxton to Sayre

« Reply #60 on: Jul 9th, 2015, 1:46pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Lodi was at MP 323.0 per LVRR ETT.

A LVRR track diagram depicts CRISFIELDS FM RR BR. 322 about 8/10ths of a mile east of Lodi.

Possibly the marker was for that bridge. Beats me.

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
LVRR2095
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #61 on: Jul 9th, 2015, 3:10pm »

on Jul 9th, 2015, 1:46pm, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Lodi was at MP 323.0 per LVRR ETT.

A LVRR track diagram depicts CRISFIELDS FM RR BR. 322 about 8/10ths of a mile east of Lodi.

Possibly the marker was for that bridge. Beats me.

The rectangular plate with the mile notated is definitely a bridge marker. All of the mile posts were square plates on edge to look like a diamond with the numeral torch cut. The posts on which the markers were mounted were boiler tubes removed from locomotive boilers.
M.P. 106 currently is located in Jefferson, Maine

Keith (the one in Maine)

gfluck1
Historian
  Mile_Marker_855x601.jpg - 177789 Bytes
« Reply #62 on: Jul 9th, 2015, 10:46pm »

on Jul 9th, 2015, 3:10pm, LVRR2095 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The rectangular plate with the mile notated is definitely a bridge marker. All of the mile posts were square plates on edge to look like a diamond with the numeral torch cut. The posts on which the markers were mounted were boiler tubes removed from locomotive boilers.
M.P. 106 currently is located in Jefferson, Maine

Keith (the one in Maine)

The attached photo is from Greenberg's, East of Mauch Chunk, provides both M.P. and Bridge markers.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/Mile_Marker_855x601.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast

« Reply #63 on: Jul 25th, 2015, 10:59pm »

Now I have to ask about signals and switches on the Lehigh Valley. Let's start with the switches. I've seen some pictures of the LV at various places using lantern type switches like the picture below.

The picture shows a red/green switches and a blue/yellow switches. At the moment I have no idea the difference between the two are. I believe these switches where models for the New Haven Line. Can anybody tell me what the LV generally used for switches? I would like to model these switches if I can find some decent pictures of the type that were used.

Regards from the BDWorkshop
BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast

« Reply #64 on: Jul 29th, 2015, 1:04am »

I'm thinking about building my own model of the Coxton Roundhouse. The old one that I had made for the project doesn't seem to be that historically correct as I'd like it to be. There just seems to be one big problem with building this model. I can't seem to find any detailed pictures of the roundhouse in it's heyday. Pictures of the old roundhouse seem to be just as exclusive as those darn Coxton Yard track maps!

Anybody have any pictures or info of the Coxton Roundhouse they would like to share?

I'm thinking about contacting a few historical societies for help. The information just isn't out there. You would think a big railroad yard like Coxton would have data all over the place on the internet, but it's just not true for some reason. I can't help but wonder why?

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #65 on: Jul 29th, 2015, 9:18am »

The green and red switch lights were for main line switches, or main track. The yellow and green were for yard switches.   Keith

LVRR2095
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #66 on: Jul 29th, 2015, 11:38am »

And "green" meant the switch was normal and red or yellow meant the switch was in the reverse position.
The other Keith

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast

« Reply #67 on: Jul 29th, 2015, 12:42pm »

Thanks for the information on the switches. So it would be accurate to say that these are the types of switches used by the LV?

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #68 on: Jul 29th, 2015, 4:57pm »

They were that way when Keith and the other Keith worked there. And as far as memory goes back to early 1960's it was that way. I know the other Keith can't remember that far back as he had to much fun as a child.... Just kidding Keith.  Ha ha  

LVRR2095
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #69 on: Jul 29th, 2015, 5:59pm »

on Jul 29th, 2015, 4:57pm, darktown2 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
They were that way when Keith and the other Keith worked there. And as far as memory goes back to early 1960's it was that way. I know the other Keith can't remember that far back as he had to much fun as a child.... Just kidding Keith.  Ha ha  

Actually I have a hard time remembering what happened yesterday anymore!
"The Other" Keith

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast

« Reply #70 on: Aug 1st, 2015, 2:36pm »

I'm looking for some information that I think the LV gurus out there may be able to help me with.

As I stated in my last post, I'm thinking about making a 3D model of the Coxton Roundhouse. So now it time to start gathering information on the roundhouse. The first thing I need to look at is the size of the roundhouse and it's turntable.

I'm being told that roundhouse turntables were generally built to the size of the railroad's largest locomotive. With that said, I'll ask the following questions...

1. What was the Lehigh Valley's biggest steam engine?
2. Does anybody know how many stalls were originally built in the Coxton Yard Roundhouse?

With these to questions I should be able to start the modeling process.

gfluck1
Historian

« Reply #71 on: Aug 2nd, 2015, 2:03pm »

on Aug 1st, 2015, 2:36pm, BlackDiamond1964 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm looking for some information that I think the LV gurus out there may be able to help me with.

As I stated in my last post, I'm thinking about making a 3D model of the Coxton Roundhouse. So now it time to start gathering information on the roundhouse. The first thing I need to look at is the size of the roundhouse and it's turntable.

I'm being told that roundhouse turntables were generally built to the size of the railroad's largest locomotive. With that said, I'll ask the following questions...

1. What was the Lehigh Valley's biggest steam engine?
2. Does anybody know how many stalls were originally built in the Coxton Yard Roundhouse?

With these to questions I should be able to start the modeling process.

A Little History:
1902 - turntable was a gasoline powered 64ft table

1904 - roundhouse enlarged

1912 - new roundhouse built, reinforced concrete construction, 16 stalls at a cost of $50k

1914 - 17 stall addition to roundhouse, stalls are 102ft long, w/ steel and brick machine shop, 100ft electrically operated turntable installed which replaces the 75ft turntable which is relocated to Towanda.

v/r

G.F.

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast

« Reply #72 on: Aug 2nd, 2015, 2:33pm »

on Aug 2nd, 2015, 2:03pm, gfluck1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

A Little History:
1902 - turntable was a gasoline powered 64ft table

1904 - roundhouse enlarged

1912 - new roundhouse built, reinforced concrete construction, 16 stalls at a cost of $50k

1914 - 17 stall addition to roundhouse, stalls are 102ft long, w/ steel and brick machine shop, 100ft electrically operated turntable installed which replaces the 75ft turntable which is relocated to Towanda.

v/r

G.F.

Excellent info! 33 stalls...it must of been a very busy place at one time.  

gfluck1
Historian
  PA20Duryea201900s20Coxton20Yards.jpg - 351129 Bytes
« Reply #73 on: Aug 2nd, 2015, 3:37pm »

photo below is Circa 1900 view of Coxton from http://www.duryeapa.com/1900to1909/1900to1909.htm

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (351129 bytes, 1394x1048 pixels)

Click Here to View Image PA20Duryea201900s20Coxton20Yards.jpg - 351129 Bytes

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast

« Reply #74 on: Aug 2nd, 2015, 4:33pm »

on Aug 2nd, 2015, 3:37pm, gfluck1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
photo below is Circa 1900 view of Coxton from http://www.duryeapa.com/1900to1909/1900to1909.htm

Yes, I have that picture in my collection. Would you happen to know what the two small buildings in front of the roundhouse are?

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast

« Reply #75 on: Aug 9th, 2015, 12:33am »

I'm still looking for any pictures of the Coxton Roundhouse in it's busy days. I'm really looking for a good views of the bay doors, or the front of the roundhouse. I'll need this for model building purposes. I guess I'll need to take another look through all the LV books I recently purchased.

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast

« Reply #76 on: Aug 21st, 2015, 9:27pm »

I'm going to start building a model of the Coxton Roundhouse tomorrow. I was wondering if anybody can tell me what is on the roof of this roundhouse? I can't seem to make out exactly what I'm looking at when it come to the roof?

Anybody have any ideas?

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast

« Reply #77 on: Aug 24th, 2015, 2:32am »

Looking a another picture of the roundhouse and looking at what exist currently of the structure, I believe it is some kind of natural lighting.  

Anyway, I started the process of building Coxton Yard. I'm about half way in completing the yard. Feel free to comment on my work.

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast

« Reply #78 on: Aug 30th, 2015, 12:20am »

Here is an update on the building of Coxton Yard in Trainz. I'm close to finishing. All that is left to add is the service tracks to the left of the roundhouse.

Here is a screenshot of the former hump yard.

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast

« Reply #79 on: Aug 30th, 2015, 9:32pm »

Ok, Coxton Yard is done and I got as close to the real this as I can. You be the judge.

Feel free to comment.
Now that the track work is done... I can NOW work on the Coxton Roundhouse. I have some reference pictures of the roundhouse, but I could always use as many as I can find. Please post any pictures of the roundhouse that haven't been posted yet.

Another thing I haven't figured out yet is where did the steam locomotives fill up with water? I'd love to see pictures if there are any out there of this location.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »