Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 30th, 2017, 1:23am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV Coxton to Sayre
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LV Coxton to Sayre
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV Coxton to Sayre  (Read 2323 times)
Ashley_John
Historian
Re: LV Coxton to Sayre

« Reply #40 on: Jun 10th, 2015, 6:44am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

From what I was told, many of the mile marker and whistle signs were made from scrap metal - possibly some from scrapped locomotives. Mile markers were diamond shaped flat steel with the numbers cut out of the steel welded to a round post. I have mile marker 172 sitting in my garage. Some day, I will get some time to clean it up, paint it and display it.

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: Jun 10th, 2015, 11:50am »

on Jun 10th, 2015, 6:44am, Ashley_John wrote:       (Click here for original message)
From what I was told, many of the mile marker and whistle signs were made from scrap metal - possibly some from scrapped locomotives. Mile markers were diamond shaped flat steel with the numbers cut out of the steel welded to a round post. I have mile marker 172 sitting in my garage. Some day, I will get some time to clean it up, paint it and display it.

You should take a picture of as it is now...I'd love to see it. I never got a chance to look at the mileage charts yet. Where was 172 located at?

Regards from the BDWorkshop
Bowmans_Creek_Bra
Railfan

« Reply #42 on: Jun 10th, 2015, 5:15pm »

Bridges were also marked with the same type of plates that started with a letter indicating the branch and then the bridge number.  The number was the mileage from New York.  I have the plate B 209.  It is Bowmans Creek Branch 209, which means it was 209 miles by rail from New York. This particular bridge was near Mountain Springs.

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Jun 11th, 2015, 12:37am »

on Jun 10th, 2015, 5:15pm, Bowmans_Creek_Bra wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Bridges were also marked with the same type of plates that started with a letter indicating the branch and then the bridge number.  The number was the mileage from New York.  I have the plate B 209.  It is Bowmans Creek Branch 209, which means it was 209 miles by rail from New York. This particular bridge was near Mountain Springs.

Interesting. What would a bridge on the main line be marked as?

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #44 on: Jun 13th, 2015, 2:12pm »

Unfortunately because of my work schedule I only get to work on this neat stuff during the weekend. Here is an updated picture of the LV light tower. I'm planning on working on the crow's nest next. I did receive 2 of the 3 LV books mentioned earlier in this thread, but only got to skim over them so far.

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #45 on: Jun 13th, 2015, 3:13pm »

I have a kind of weird question about these light towers... When these light towers were originally built, how many spot lights did they have on them? 3 maybe 4 lights on a side?

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #46 on: Jun 14th, 2015, 7:40pm »

From the research I found that most lights had 4 spotlights on them so I went with that. Here is model with the lights added.

I was hoping for some Coxton Yard track diagrams in some of these Lehigh Valley books I just purchased...but so far I've not found any. Anybody know of any?

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #47 on: Jun 16th, 2015, 8:27am »

I would consider checking ebay for track-diagrams.......they show up from time to time.  

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Bowmans_Creek_Bra
Railfan

« Reply #48 on: Jun 16th, 2015, 1:23pm »

on Jun 11th, 2015, 12:37am, BlackDiamond1964 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I should know the answer to that question but it escapes me right now.  I will check and get back to you

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Jun 16th, 2015, 2:04pm »

Besides a few small tweaks and a little bit of texturing this light tower model is basically done.

I'll be moving to the Coxton Bridge next. I did have another person working on the model of this bridge but I guess he found it too hard and gave up on it.

Bowmans_Creek_Bra
Railfan

« Reply #50 on: Jun 18th, 2015, 2:07pm »

I checked Lehigh Valley Employee Timetable 7, dated March 5, 1944 concerning the marking of mainline bridges. Mainline bridges were simply marked by the mile post.  If more than one bridge was within the same mile, then capital letters were used to distinguish them such as 144A or 176C.  The only exception was along the Mountain Cutoff.  Bridge mileage numbers were preceeded with a capital C, such as C178. If more than one bridge was within the same mile on the Cutoff, then a capital letter followed the number as well, such as C178A.

Harry

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #51 on: Jun 18th, 2015, 2:13pm »

on Jun 18th, 2015, 2:07pm, Bowmans_Creek_Bra wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I checked Lehigh Valley Employee Timetable 7, dated March 5, 1944 concerning the marking of mainline bridges. Mainline bridges were simply marked by the mile post.  If more than one bridge was within the same mile, then capital letters were used to distinguish them such as 144A or 176C.  The only exception was along the Mountain Cutoff.  Bridge mileage numbers were preceeded with a capital C, such as C178. If more than one bridge was within the same mile on the Cutoff, then a capital letter followed the number as well, such as C178A.

Harry

Thanks for researching my question...this info may come in handy.

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #52 on: Jun 20th, 2015, 12:15pm »

I'm currently waiting from the 3D modeling scene to see how to get the towers to light up the yard.

In the mean time I started working on my next project. The good ole Coxton Bridge. The bridge was last used in 1979 and it's been deteriorating since. Something tells me that this bridge will fall down before they knock it down!

I started with the basic shape of one of the spans. To make the full bridge I'll copy and paste the span about 5 more time and skew it. This is the easy part.

The hard part will be making the Forest Castle (opposite Coxton Yards) side of the bridge. At the end of the last pier there was a switch that made a connection with the West Pittston & Exeter RR. The track turned to south and went down a concrete ramp as seen here.

The LV West Pittston Branch continued over RT 92 at a heavy skew with a bridge pier in the middle of the road...I'm sure it didn't take long for the local folks to remove that traffic hazard! Does anybody have any reference picture of when the bridge was operational? The picture above seems to be the only picture I have been able to find so far.

Here are few questions that I have about that bridge.

1. Does anybody know the date the bridge was originally build? I do know the bridge was rebuilt sometime in the 1920's.
2. Does anybody know when the concrete ramp and the connection the WP &E RR was added to the bridge?

Bowmans_Creek_Bra
Railfan

« Reply #53 on: Jul 2nd, 2015, 12:44pm »

BlackDiamond1964, Check your private messages.  I sent you one that you will probably be most interested in.

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #54 on: Jul 6th, 2015, 1:30pm »

Speaking of mile posts, does anyone have a pic of one? I'd like to make a few for my layout. I'm assuming they were stamped/cut metal?

RAH

One down, one to go.......
Rich Chapin
Enthusiast

« Reply #55 on: Jul 8th, 2015, 5:36am »

on Jul 6th, 2015, 1:30pm, Dr. Sheldon Cooper wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Speaking of mile posts, does anyone have a pic of one? I'd like to make a few for my layout. I'm assuming they were stamped/cut metal?

RAH

Found this description "On the LV posts, the mile number is cut in a metal diamond at the top of a thin pipe, then painted black"  
here
http://jhupressblog.com/2014/02/24/deciphering-mile-posts-along-the-tracks/

makes sense when you compare to whistle Post, but, alas, no pic

RWC

Rich Chapin
TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

My_Scans963_2_740x623.jpg - 44380 Bytes
« Reply #56 on: Jul 8th, 2015, 11:24pm »

This photo depicts a ConRail snowplow work extra with the plow off the end-of-track at MP 371 west of Victor, NY in January, 1978.

The mile post is to the left of the plow and is correct for w/b trains. It was constructed of plate steel with the mile designator cut in by a torch.

A whistle post can be seen to the right of the plow. This is of the same type of construction as the mile post. This particular example is for the NY Rt. 251 (Swamp Road) grade crossing.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/My_Scans963_2_740x623.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #57 on: Jul 9th, 2015, 12:28am »

Thanks for the picture! I'm taking notes on those signs.  

Kendaia1
Historian
  LVRR_080111-3-2.jpg - 51570 Bytes
« Reply #58 on: Jul 9th, 2015, 2:36am »

Here is a mile marker along the LV Mainline at Lodi, NY. Taken in 2011. I don't know why this one is a different shape than the others I've seen, which are usually like the MP 371 marker in TB Diamond's photo. Perhaps one of our LV historians knows the answer.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/LVRR_080111-3-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #59 on: Jul 9th, 2015, 1:23pm »

Thanks guys for the mile post modeling info! Perfect for a brass etching or laser cut wood project.

RAH

One down, one to go.......
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »