Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 24th, 2017, 11:56am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV Coxton to Sayre
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LV Coxton to Sayre
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV Coxton to Sayre  (Read 2317 times)
Charlie Ricker
Historian
Re: LV Coxton to Sayre

« Reply #20 on: Jun 6th, 2015, 12:24pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Sorry, yes those are all books.  

Glad you ordered the books, those are great places to start--in addition to the info "TBDiamond" also gave.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Jun 6th, 2015, 1:18pm »

So far I've not been able to locate the third book you mentioned, "Lehigh Valley Railroad" by Robert Archer. It's referenced plenty of times, but I have not found a site that is selling the actual book.

I have a friend working on updating the Coxton RR Bridge model seen in the picture above. This is one hard bridge to model...not only do the spans of the bridge have to be skewed right, there seems to be no room for error where the bridge crosses over the WP&E RR and RT 92. The ramp on which the connection between the LV and the WP&E RR will be the last part to be modeled as this will be the biggest challenge of all.

I'm also working on the light towers of the yard. Does anybody know of a good location that I can take some reference pictures of one of these yard towers without having to trample on private property? I suppose it also might be a good idea to ask if any of these yard light towers are still standing in the first place?  

Regards from the BDWorkshop
Bowmans_Creek_Bra
Railfan

« Reply #22 on: Jun 6th, 2015, 2:39pm »

Keep an eye on ebay.  Archer's book shows up from time to time.

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 11:20am »

Ok here is kind of a weird question...

As I mentioned in my last post I'm working on a 3D model of a Coxton Yard light tower. I'm having a rough time getting some details about them. Mainly, I'm wondering what these towers are sitting on. Are they sitting on a concrete slab or does the tower have individual concrete footer at it's base?

Usually for something like this I will look at Google Earth maps or Bing maps. For this particular question these maps don't show enough detail.

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 6:45pm »

I do have plenty of pictures of the light towers...just none that shows the base of them. In current Bing maps I see there are 6 of these towers currently standing. I wonder if there used to be more of them?

I also never figured out were the water filling station was. It's obvious that there was a holding tank to store the water. This can still be seen today, but how and where the locomotives filled up? Perhaps the LV books that Charlie recommended will tell the story.

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 8:52pm »

I just took a peek in my copy of "LV Facilities In Color Vol. 2" and on page 78, there is a photo that includes one of the bottoms of a light tower. It looks to be a single solid-base that supports the entire structure, not separate bases for each leg.

I'll take a peek at my other books and follow-up if I see anything further.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 9:23pm »

on Jun 7th, 2015, 8:52pm, Charlie Ricker wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I just took a peek in my copy of "LV Facilities In Color Vol. 2" and on page 78, there is a photo that includes one of the bottoms of a light tower. It looks to be a single solid-base that supports the entire structure, not separate bases for each leg.

I'll take a peek at my other books and follow-up if I see anything further.

Charlie

Thanks! I'll add the base to the model.

DElder
Chaser

« Reply #27 on: Jun 7th, 2015, 10:51pm »

OK, I give up....where did TB's picture posted earlier today go??

WVTransplant

View Profile  

Roundhouse_02b.jpg - 470240 Bytes
« Reply #28 on: Jun 8th, 2015, 12:01am »

Back in January 2006, I met with Ron Delevan, who permitted me to walk the grounds.  Somewhere on the internet is a photo essay from that day.  I took many more photos than made it into that essay, however, including the photo attached to this image.  I was photographing the roundhouse remains from a distance and, unfortunately, it's as close as I came to capturing the details of a tower's base.  It was a complete square (or close to square) slab.  I hope this helps.  It's quite amazing how much the facilities, yard, and contents have changed in 9 years.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (470240 bytes, 1014x760 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Roundhouse_02b.jpg - 470240 Bytes

« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2015, 12:05am by WVTransplant » Logged
BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Jun 8th, 2015, 1:22am »

on Jun 7th, 2015, 10:51pm, DElder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

He must of deleted it. I don't see it either.

Henry
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Jun 8th, 2015, 1:23am »

on Jun 7th, 2015, 10:51pm, DElder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

TB removed it, you'll have to ask him why...

Henry

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #31 on: Jun 8th, 2015, 1:28am »

on Jun 8th, 2015, 12:01am, WVTransplant wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Back in January 2006, I met with Ron Delevan, who permitted me to walk the grounds.  Somewhere on the internet is a photo essay from that day.  I took many more photos than made it into that essay, however, including the photo attached to this image.  I was photographing the roundhouse remains from a distance and, unfortunately, it's as close as I came to capturing the details of a tower's base.  It was a complete square (or close to square) slab.  I hope this helps.  It's quite amazing how much the facilities, yard, and contents have changed in 9 years.

Thanks for the picture.  Not only does it show the bottom of the tower, it a good close up that shows how the cross members look....I had it wrong on my model, but it will be an easy fix.

Bowmans_Creek_Bra
Railfan

« Reply #32 on: Jun 8th, 2015, 12:24pm »

Hi,

Archer's book on the History of the Lehigh Valley Railroad is currently listed on ebay.  It is item 311376912275.

scottychaos
Historian
  sayre-light-tower.jpg - 236484 Bytes
« Reply #33 on: Jun 8th, 2015, 3:01pm »

Here is a shot of one of the Sayre light towers..it was just bolted to a short concrete pad..looks the same as WV's photo from Coxton yard..they were probably all the same. I know the LV had this style of light tower in Niagara Falls, Tifft yard, Sayre and Coxton..and probably a few other yards too..Oak Island perhaps? All the photos I have ever seen of them, they all look identical.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/sayre-light-tower.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2015, 3:04pm by scottychaos » Logged
scottychaos
Historian
  sayre-light-tower3.jpg - 397932 Bytes
« Reply #34 on: Jun 8th, 2015, 3:17pm »

While the top of the light tower was sitting right there on the ground, I wish I had thought to take measurements of it! but I was 16 years old, and it simply didnt occur to me.  

This is the light tower right across from the Sayre station, at the Packer ave bridge. The southern-most (timetable eastern most) of four light towers in the Sayre yard. The old Packer ave bridge (the second Packer ave bridge) had just been removed, and construction is about to begin for its replacement, the 3rd Packer ave bridge, which is still the current bridge today.

Scot

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (397932 bytes, 1215x818 pixels)

Click Here to View Image sayre-light-tower3.jpg - 397932 Bytes

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #35 on: Jun 8th, 2015, 11:48pm »

Thanks for the awesome pictures! It gives me a good look at that crow's nest!

While I'm finishing up the model of the yard light I came up with some more basic Lehigh Valley RR questions.

1.Did the LV use standard type switches through out the LV system? If so what type did they use.

2.What about signals? This is something I know absolutely nothing about!

3. I know some other railroads used concrete mile markers to post the miles. What did the LV use to show miles?

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #36 on: Jun 9th, 2015, 10:16am »

Re: The ConRail Coxton (Pittston Yard under CR) photo posted earlier:

The photo obviously added nothing to the thread so it was therefore deleted.

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: Jun 9th, 2015, 2:19pm »

Book Update- I did manage to order all three of the books Charlie mentioned in an earlier post.

I got the Lehigh Valley Railroad: The Wyoming & Buffalo Divisions and Lehigh Valley Railroad" by Robert Archer at AbsBooks.com.

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Jun 9th, 2015, 4:46pm »

To help answer your questions:

1. For the most part, LV used standard switches, but there were quite few spots where they used higher-speed equilateral turnouts on areas where double-track became single-track after LV started reducing mainline track in areas that didn't warrant it. This started coming about in the early to mid-1960's. Most of this was timetable west of Coxton Yard toward Buffalo.

2. Signals. In the earlier-days of the Lehigh Valley, they used upper-quadrant semaphore signals (blades) and in a good number of areas, they also used Pennsylvania Railroad-style position-light signals. As time went by, LV switched to searchlight-type color signals. There are a good number of threads here on this board where there is more detail and accompanying photos. The books you have ordered will enable you to see these as well.

3. Mileposts. LV used an unique type of mileposts as well as whistle-posts. They were constructed on metal, with the "W" (for whistle-posts) and numbers for mileposts cut out of the metal sign. Again, you'll see this in the books.....especially the Bednar books you have coming, and there are threads here as well.

Hope this helps a bit!  

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #39 on: Jun 9th, 2015, 11:28pm »

Thanks again for the information Charlie! I'm looking forward to reading these LV books.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »