Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 26th, 2017, 5:29am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

LV Coxton to Sayre
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   LV Coxton to Sayre
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: LV Coxton to Sayre  (Read 2320 times)
BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

LV Coxton to Sayre

« on: Jan 18th, 2015, 5:06pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'm working on a project that involves this section of the LV Main line. I started doing research but I've already hit a few snags. I was wondering if anybody could help with...

1. At this point I've not been able to find decent track diagrams for the Sayre Shops. Are there any located on line? My searches turned up nothing.

2. I'm presently researching all the depots and stations along the line starting at the Pittston Station and moving north. I'm researching the Ransom area just north of Coxton Yards. According to a Lehigh Valley guide from the 40's, there was a depot somewhere in Ransom. Does anybody know where that depot was?

3. Speaking of Ransom area, the maps do show a rather large building between the rails and the Susquehanna River. That building is still there today in a much larger complex of buildings. Aerial photos from 1938 show that the building was there back then. It appears to have a siding from the main line. This building looks far too big to be a depot for such a small village. Does anybody know what that build is (was)?

Regards from the BDWorkshop
LV LOU
Historian
Re: LV Coxton to Sayre

« Reply #1 on: Jan 28th, 2015, 1:16pm »

The only buildings of any kind I know of in Ransom were owned by the  Potlatch Paper Company,the only large building on the river side was the actual paper plant..Can't remember if it was Potlatch in the 70's..I used to love sitting at their entrance road right after I got my driver's license in the early 70's,and watch LV and then CR freights go through there 50MPH..

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2015, 1:17pm by LV LOU » Logged

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28th, 2015, 1:31pm »

Did a little sniffing..In '61,the plant was built by Swanee Paper.Sold to Pope & Talbot in '98,then to Cascade Tissue in 2001.No idea what it was before that,but there was a State Hospital there previously,perhaps the building was part of that..
 All the homes in Ransom are pretty much right there,I looked at Penn Pilot,there seems to be a small building just north of it,could be the Depot,and the building you're talking about could be a freight house..

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28th, 2015, 1:58pm »

Thanks, LV Lou. Once I found an industry list of the main line I was able to put two and two together to figure out that it was Swanee Paper.

I'm currently looking into the West Pittston Branch in the 1969/1970 era. I have a industry list that I'm trying to match up with aerial photos and topographic maps of the same era. I'm looking to find the exact locations of the all the buildings.

The first problem I'm having is American Chain and Cable. Did the LV serve this facility? I know the EL did in Exeter. If the LV did, where is the building located?

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29th, 2015, 12:29am »

Believe it or not,there were two or three chain & cable places in West Pittston/Exeter,I'm not totally sure which is which..My wife is from West Pittston,I'll ask her tomorrow..

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29th, 2015, 12:45am »

Okay..I just did a little "head search",and looked at Bing Maps..I remember two,I think one was Atlas Chain & Cable,the other was formerly American Chain & Cable,now Bridon American.
 Atlas is right along the river,behind the shopping center..Nowhere near any kind of rail service,wrong side of Wyoming Ave to be on the Bloom,nowhere near the LV..[Unless the train swam to the LV passenger main in Pittston...]
  Bridon American absolutely is right next to the West Pittston Branch.It's on Stevens Street.It's right behind the Keystone Warehouse,which,bye the way,was B.F. Goodrich in the LV era..I can't remember any that were served by the EL in that area..

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Jan 29th, 2015, 12:45am »

According to this list...
http://www.anthraciterailroads.org/stage_lvrr/lvrr-operations/on-line-customers/new-york-division-branch-lines/
it was American Chain & Cable Automotive Div. I instantly thought about the Keystone building on the back road, but someone at work said that BF Goodrich was in that building at that time.

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jan 29th, 2015, 12:52pm »

More interesting notes...

I work in the building next to Bridon. To my knowledge there was never rail service to that building. I never seen a map or diagram that showed otherwise. The maps of the era however do show a double track through this area.

The building I work at has rail going into the building and a rail dock. The rail dock is now where we keep a large trash compactor. I don't know who occupied the building when it had rail service...rumors say it was Mack Truck. Again I never seen a map or diagram that showed that siding.

It's a real head scratcher.  

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Jan 29th, 2015, 11:06pm »

American Chain & Cable merged and became. Bridon-American..I asked my wife,she said Atlas was where I said it was,just south of the Wyoming Area Football field.Suburban Publishing was back there,no idea when they opened,though.Not even sure if they're still there,I don;t think so.I'll ask my brother in law what he remembers,but I might not see him for a few weeks.He's my age,lived right there..

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Jan 29th, 2015, 11:53pm »

I actually found Suburban Publishing...at least where it was in 1969. It was across from the intersection of Byrd St and 92 (Exeter Ave) on the small WP&E RR Line. Suburban Publishing could of move into the building I work at in later years. I also heard rumors that there was some kind of publishing company there first. The building was built sometime between 1957 and 1959 so I'm not really sure if that is true.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Jan 30th, 2015, 5:35pm »

I was only in Suburban a few times,I worked at a company that was one of their customers,I went there to look at some equipment they couldn't get going.They were there until at least 1990,that's when I left that place,and my friend was working there in the late 70's..It was a pretty new building.

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Jan 31st, 2015, 2:28pm »

Another problem I seen to be having is finding track diagrams of the Sayre Yard & Shops. I have a few partial maps but none of them show the complete yard. Does anybody know if there are track diagrams of the Sayre Yard online someplace?

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Jan 31st, 2015, 10:11pm »

1915, Sanborn fire map:

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/photos/i-Bnbg9ck/0/O/i-Bnbg9ck.jpg

Scot

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Feb 1st, 2015, 1:09am »

on Jan 31st, 2015, 10:11pm, scottychaos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
1915, Sanborn fire map:

http://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/photos/i-Bnbg9ck/0/O/i-Bnbg9ck.jpg

Scot

Thanks! I knew there had to be a map someplace.

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: May 31st, 2015, 3:41pm »

I've now stated my project of recreating the LV route from Coxton to Sayre. I'm starting in the Coxton yard area.
 This is a Trainz project. I'm using DEM mapping with a 1969 topographic overlay as I guide.

I'm looking for information on the Coxton Yard and some of it's buildings. The map below is a 1938 map. There are 4 buildings in the yard that I'm trying to find out what they were used for. Does anybody have any information on these unknown buildings?

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Jun 5th, 2015, 2:33pm »

Wow, I thought someone with LV knowledge would have replied by now.

I did come up with a few more questions about Coxton Yard.

1-In the steam era, where was the water filling area?

2-In the diesel era, where was the diesel filling area?

I would love to see any old photos related to these questions!

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Jun 5th, 2015, 6:51pm »

Hi there,

A belated welcome to the forums! A couple excellent references if you can get them (if you don't already have them) for this particular area are: "Lehigh Valley Railroad: The Wyoming & Buffalo Divisions" by Mike Bednar and "Lehigh Valley Facilities In Color Vol. 2 Wyoming Division", also authored by Mike Bednar". Most certainly would will get most, if not all the answers you are seeking. Another good reference is "Lehigh Valley Railroad" by Robert Archer, which is a quite thorough reference on most everything "Lehigh Valley".

Good luck!  

Charlie

P.S. Apologies for not getting here soon.......unfortunately this forum has all but gone dead, as many folks are now using groups on Facebook. There are a couple good groups there that are quite active.

~Charlie Ricker

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Jun 5th, 2015, 9:54pm »

Possibles based on exploration of the Coxton yard facilities back in the late 1970s:

2.) RFE, TM or yardmaster office.
3.) Car dept. storehouse.
4.) Carman office.

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Jun 6th, 2015, 12:13am »

on Jun 5th, 2015, 6:51pm, Charlie Ricker wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Charlie

P.S. Apologies for not getting here soon.......unfortunately this forum has all but gone dead, as many folks are now using groups on Facebook. There are a couple good groups there that are quite active.

Is that were everybody has gone? I don't use Facebook. I'll stick around here just as long as there are folks that want to talk about the LV.

Charlie, are the titles you gave me books or videos?

Thanks for the info!  

Update-Ordered the first two books from Arizona Hobbies

« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2015, 2:28am by BlackDiamond1964 » Logged

BlackDiamond1964
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Jun 6th, 2015, 12:14am »

on Jun 5th, 2015, 9:54pm, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Possibles based on exploration of the Coxton yard facilities back in the late 1970s:

2.) RFE, TM or yardmaster office.
3.) Car dept. storehouse.
4.) Carman office.

Great information...Thank you!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »