Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 2:06am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Remaining LV Structures
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Remaining LV Structures
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Remaining LV Structures  (Read 3402 times)
Charlie Ricker
Historian
Remaining LV Structures

« on: Jan 24th, 2013, 2:12pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I thought I would create this thread for any of us that would like to share photos of remaining structures, bridges or "whatever" is left from the Lehigh Valley in today's world. Hoping there are lots of "goodies" to share!

I'll start it off with a few. Back on January 7 I was in Batavia out for a drive, so I decided to see what I could find. This shot is of the LV Main's bridge over Cedar Street. View is looking North. The Main ran along a lengthy fill Eastward for quite a distance.

Next view is the LV bridge crossing NY Rte. 63 (Ellicott Street) just a short distance timetable West of the previous Cedar St. photo. The overpass of the former NYC Water-Level Route of CSX is beyond the Lehigh Valley bridge. Note that the abutments of this bridge are still in excellent shape. Does anyone know when these bridges were put in here? I'm guessing these were maybe put in in the 1960s or even early 1970s as part of a grade-crossing reduction program?

Lastly, this photo on Lehigh Street is just east of where the Jackson Street overpass was along with "Batavia Interlocking." We are looking west toward where Jackson St. crossed over the LV and where the bridge over Tonawanda Creek was. You would never know those bridges were ever there today.

The ROW was just to the left of me, and there are still rails there to my left, but the rails end just before where the telephone pole is.

I do not know what the building to the front of me was many years ago, but it was a customer at one time, as evidenced by a spur track leading to the side of the building in a photo taken by Dick Pearson on page 74 of "Lehigh Valley 6-In Color."

All photos taken 7 January 2013

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Remaining LV Structures

« Reply #1 on: Jan 24th, 2013, 3:41pm »

Believe the Ellicott Street bridges were constructed when the NYC Batavia bypass went in, about 1957 or so.

That brick building was the Batavia Water Works.

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24th, 2013, 4:09pm »

on Jan 24th, 2013, 3:41pm, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Believe the Ellicott Street bridges were constructed when the NYC Batavia bypass went in, about 1957 or so.

That brick building was the Batavia Water Works.

Thanks very much and that makes absolute sense!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25th, 2013, 12:34pm »

Continuing with the thread, now we are at Manchester. I'm guessing this was a water tower of some kind and this is located at what was the East end of Manchester Yard and was on the South side of the main. If someone can add further info as to what this was, that would be great.

The building at the center wasn't exactly a Lehigh Valley building, but I'm sure it may have been an "unofficial facility" to some of the LV men!

For those of you that have "LV Facilities In Color 3", there is a shot of this on page 36 (top photo) from the opposite side. It used to be "Joe Lizzie's Tavern."

I'm guessing that this was some type of freight house located near the remains of the round-house? Again, if someone can clarify what this structure was, I would appreciate it.

Enjoy! I will add some more later. I really have fun exploring what once was on this great railroad!

Charlie

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2013, 12:36pm by Charlie Ricker » Logged

~Charlie Ricker

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25th, 2013, 1:04pm »

Believe that the brick structure in your last photo was the sand house.

The water tank was undoubtedly part of the LVRR Manchester Yard water system.

Down towards the west end of State Street there was another bar that was probably frequented by railroad personnel from time to time: "West End Tavern". The facility appeared to have been converted from a home and has since reverted to such utilization. Believe it was open until the 1980s or so. Grabbed a photo of it on 17 May 1993 and it was closed for business at that time.

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25th, 2013, 6:29pm »

on Jan 25th, 2013, 1:04pm, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Down towards the west end of State Street there was another bar that was probably frequented by railroad personnel from time to time: "West End Tavern". The facility appeared to have been converted from a home and has since reverted to such utilization. Believe it was open until the 1980s or so. Grabbed a photo of it on 17 May 1993 and it was closed for business at that time.

Thanks Paul. Makes sense, as I was looking at a photo earlier today of the sanding tower and I believe that was just near of what I thought was this building and this confirms it. Sadly, age and the elements hasn't done any of these buildings any favors.

I will try to grab a photo of the former "West End Tavern" next time I'm out that way. Hey, it was an important "facility"......after a run from Sayre or Buffalo, these guys deserved to "take on water" too!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25th, 2013, 6:57pm »

Even these markers for plows, Jordan Spreaders and the like are rare. This one is "off the beaten path".....I *think* this is near Kime Beach close to Seneca Lake just timetable east (geographically South) of Geneva Junction. Photo taken 20 February 2012. We are looking geographically South and timetable East.

The LV Freight Bypass crossed over East Lake Road here and we are looking directionally North on the same day.  

I would be totally remiss if I didn't include the ornate LV station in Geneva--taken on the same beautiful February day last year.

Will add more later, and I would love it if any of you fellows can add any of your shots to the thread!

Charlie

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2013, 6:58pm by Charlie Ricker » Logged

~Charlie Ricker

LVRR2095
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25th, 2013, 7:26pm »

on Jan 25th, 2013, 6:57pm, charlie6017 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Even these markers for plows, Jordan Spreaders and the like are rare. This one is "off the beaten path".....

Charlie

The "offical" name of that sign is :Flanger Sign and its indication is "Flanger Path Obstructed.

Keith (the one that is now in Maine)

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2013, 7:27pm by LVRR2095 » Logged
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25th, 2013, 7:47pm »

Quote:

The "offical" name of that sign is :Flanger Sign and its indication is "Flanger Path Obstructed.

Keith (the one that is now in Maine)

Thanks very much Keith. I was completely wracking my brain trying to remember that and it just wasn't working for me!

~Charlie Ricker

LVRR_MANCHESTER
Chaser

« Reply #9 on: Jan 26th, 2013, 7:30am »

In response to the brick structure located on the back of the Manchester roundhouse.  I believe that was actually the house for the giant air compressor used.  I have a old blueprint of the yard and it states that it was a steam driven air compressor but was converted to electric in 1938.  Many of the main line switches in Manchester were air driven as were all the car repair buildings.  
As for the water tower I really do not know but for some reason I remember somebody telling me that it has nothing to do with the yard?  I will ask and let everyone know.  If anything it could have held the water for the icehouse which was also on that side of the yard along with the massive holding pens for animals

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

My_Scans1111_779x555.jpg - 59361 Bytes
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26th, 2013, 10:54am »

Here is a photo of The West End at Manchester. Appears the tavern was closed at the time.

Good information on the remaining structures at Manchester. That brick building had the remains of a steel tank or holding bin on the west side.  

Seems that the LVRR had their own water system for the complex at Manchester but recall may well be faulty on that issue.

Viewed a film several years ago that depicted the demolition of the Manchester roundhouse boiler room smoke stack. No explosives were utilized. A section of the stack near the ground was removed bit by bit and replaced with wood timbers as work progressed. Then the wood was set fire. Took time but the stack finally came down.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/My_Scans1111_779x555.jpg
Click Image to Resize

LVRR_MANCHESTER
Chaser

« Reply #11 on: Jan 26th, 2013, 12:46pm »

I just found out that the water tower was a Lehigh Valley water tower.  It was used as I stated before to make ice and for the animals in the stock yard.  Also which I did not know is that the yard had its own water distribution lines with over 50 miles of water pipe and 25 fire hydrants in its day.  The water tower was placed there because of it elevation.  

« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2013, 1:10pm by LVRR_MANCHESTER » Logged
dj_paige
TRAINing
  100_4061.jpg - 247258 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26th, 2013, 6:01pm »

Great photos and great information, thanks everyone!  

It wasn't mentioned, but the turntable at Manchester is still intact (although the pit is filled in). Worth the trip!  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/100_4061.jpg
Click Image to Resize

--
Paige
"It's nothing until I call it!" -- NL Umpire and native Rochesterian Bill Klem
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Jan 26th, 2013, 9:06pm »

Hey Paige,

Thanks for that---I didn't realize that was still there! Next time I'm out there I will do some more exploring!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Jan 26th, 2013, 9:21pm »

Continuing on with the theme of extant LV structures is this cement block phone booth. This still stands just west of where the overpass over Spring Street was in Caledonia, NY.  

Here is the left-over base of a water tower on the property of what was LV's Tifft Terminal. CSX Transportation's main line tracks are in the foreground.

Charlie

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2013, 7:41pm by Charlie Ricker » Logged

~Charlie Ricker

LVRR_MANCHESTER
Chaser

« Reply #15 on: Jan 27th, 2013, 9:11am »

Charlie if and when you do decide to visit ancheste give me a yell I may have a few more smaller things that most people walk right by.  Well they are off the beaten path for sure
Rich

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Jan 28th, 2013, 8:58pm »

Rich,

That sounds like a great plan and thank you!! I will send you a PM when I decide to go back there.

Here is the bridge over the ex-NYC's Auburn Road on the Lehigh Valley Rail Trail just timetable west of Victor (Just off of Phillips Rd). We are looking to the East.

Here is the large 3-track bridge that crosses Honeoye Creek immediately west of Rochester Jct. which is also part of the same rail-trail. This time we are looking West.

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2013, 7:44pm by Charlie Ricker » Logged

~Charlie Ricker

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Jan 28th, 2013, 9:32pm »

While this isn't a photo of a structure Per Se, I thought I would toss this in. Back in 2010, I drove out to Ithaca because I wanted to go buy a copy of Herb Trice's book, "The Gangly Country Cousin" at The History Center of Tompkins County. As I was getting back in to my truck after purchasing the book, I heard horns blowing for the crossings through town. I got closer to the tracks and when they were in eyesight, I saw loaded coal hopper heading up the A&I Branch. Well, it was time to chase. As I hauled a** up Rte 34, I caught up to the power which was "most definitely" in the company notch!  

Once I knew I was well ahead enough of the train, I found an area close near the lake shore and pulled off and climbed up this little hill to grab this shot.

I'm glad I was able to get this because who knows what will end up happening to the rest of the A&I as more power plants are either converting to natural gas or closing altogether.

Charlie

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2013, 7:47pm by Charlie Ricker » Logged

~Charlie Ricker

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

P7010076_816x612.jpg - 80453 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31st, 2013, 8:13pm »

Here are a few from NJ.

Freight house - Flemington NJ

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/P7010076_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

P7010080_816x612.jpg - 117347 Bytes
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31st, 2013, 8:20pm »

Pittstown NJ - I vist here often, since I can't believe it is still there.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/P7010080_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »