Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 27th, 2017, 6:29am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rochester meet-up
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Rochester meet-up
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rochester meet-up  (Read 16157 times)
LV LOU
Historian
Re: Rochester meet-up

« Reply #740 on: Mar 15th, 2016, 8:52pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'll come if I'm feeling okay..Having miserable stomach problems lately.I'll probably skip Wellsboro,though..

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
irn750

View Profile  

« Reply #741 on: Mar 25th, 2016, 8:30pm »

I'm going to try and make it. If NS doesn't throw a wrench in my Planning. Brother Keith is a long shot.

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #742 on: Mar 26th, 2016, 10:09am »

Hey everyone,
Two weeks to go!  

We have heard from a couple guys who wont be able to make it..sorry to hear it!  
hopefully you can join us next time!

Bob, thats fine about driving you and your friend to the Valley..if that falls through and you still want to meet us in Corning, just let me know..

Since we have a long day with many things planned, we should make the most of it!
The museum at the Sayre Historical Society opens at 10:00.

Lets plan to meet in Waverly at 9:00am. For people traveling an hour or two to get there, that should be a decent start time..

Go to the corner of Broad street and Fulton street in downtown Waverly.
turn down Fulton street toward the tracks..just before crossing the tracks turn left into a long parking lot that is behind the downtown business-district buildings..we can park right along the Southern Tier Main, (maybe we'll catch a train!) and wait for everyone to gather there..

map:
https://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/Railroads-3/LV-tour-2016/i-fFdv8jx/0/O/WaverlyNY.jpg

If anyone needs more specific directions that that, just let me know..

Then from 9:00 to 10:00 we can check out a few things in Waverly & South Waverly..
the Big DL&W coal trestle, the spot where the Erie mainline passes over the LV mainline,  the big Shepards Creek bridges and the view of the North end of the Sayre yard from the Milltown bridge sidewalk..Then we can head to the museum at 10:00.

If anyone cant make it to Waverly by 9:00, you could meet us at the Sayre station at 10:00.

So thats the plan to get the day started!
thanks,
Scot

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2016, 10:15am by scottychaos » Logged
scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #743 on: Apr 1st, 2016, 3:27pm »

Hey everyone,
I have put together a collection of photos and maps for the tour..
I can probably print out about four booklets..I will bring a binder for myself, and a few extra sets..but I wont be able to make a set for everyone..(because I dont know exactly how many people are coming, and there are 40 images! 10 sets would be 400 prints..I dont have access to a printer where I can reasonably make that many prints..)

so..please print a set for yourself! if you can, and if you want to..

many of the images are public domain, a few aren't, some are mine!
if we just print them for personal use, just for this tour, and don't copy them and upload them anywhere else, then I think we fall under "fair use"..

The gallery is private, no one can find it without this link:

https://scotlawrence.smugmug.com/2016-temp/n-5vmm2f

and I will delete the gallery after our tour..

so, please print if you can!
They are numbered, in the approximate order of the tour.. people will likely refer to the numbers during the course of the day, and its much easier to say "look at photo 17" rather than trying to describe it! and describe its location in the mix..consecutive numbers are just much easier..

on the far right of the page is a "download" button..you can download first, then print..thats often the best way to go..then you will be sure to have full resolution.

Photo #1 ended up last in the gallery..smugmug does that sometimes, I dont know why.

thanks,
Scot

lehigh310
TRAINing

« Reply #744 on: Apr 2nd, 2016, 11:27am »

Scot, I just did the download...awesome job! I am so looking forward to this!

Just a heads up to everyone: when you click on the Download Album button, it will ask you for an email address. You get emailed a link to the download when its ready to be "picked up," which for me was pretty instantaneous.

-Aric

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2016, 11:28am by lehigh310 » Logged
DElder
Chaser

« Reply #745 on: Apr 3rd, 2016, 3:21pm »

Guys:
Much as I'd hoped to be able to make the get-together this spring, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to join you all on the 9th.  (Being half way across the country certainly doesn't help.)  May have to crank up a couple of John's "Railfanning with the Bednars" DVDs for a quick LV fix next Saturday  instead.

Scott:  great job on all the background info.  

I usually make a point of getting down to Sayre for at least part of a day during my annual early August trek back to central NY, but would definitely be more fun to do that with the group!

Hoping for great weather and a warm day for you guys!
  Doug Elder

alsorailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #746 on: Apr 3rd, 2016, 4:33pm »

Hope you don't mind me tagging along also. Decided this is once in a chance to learn the southern area and am forgoing the fund raising I'm more or less supposed to go to.  
Scott, since I've no clue to where anything is down there, route 86 to 220 (looks like an exit there on Goggle map), north to Broad and the east to parking spot??
And while I can download your link, I can't print it. Not sure how it works with Windows 10. If I try to right click it and blue highlight the downloads, all I get is Open, Cut, Delete, Copy, Properties.
So what now?? And top bar has print but it's not highlighted, only the bun onto cd is.
To Matthew, I assume it will be a two hour drive from where we are ( I'm adding another ten minutes since you are closer to 390)??
Thanks for any and all help!!  and sorry I have no clue still, of computer use!!
Chris

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #747 on: Apr 3rd, 2016, 5:42pm »

Sayre is 2 hours 23 minutes from Rochester as per Bing maps.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #748 on: Apr 4th, 2016, 9:50pm »

on Apr 3rd, 2016, 4:33pm, alsorailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hope you don't mind me tagging along also. Decided this is once in a chance to learn the southern area and am forgoing the fund raising I'm more or less supposed to go to.  
Scott, since I've no clue to where anything is down there, route 86 to 220 (looks like an exit there on Goggle map), north to Broad and the east to parking spot??
And while I can download your link, I can't print it. Not sure how it works with Windows 10. If I try to right click it and blue highlight the downloads, all I get is Open, Cut, Delete, Copy, Properties.
So what now?? And top bar has print but it's not highlighted, only the bun onto cd is.
To Matthew, I assume it will be a two hour drive from where we are ( I'm adding another ten minutes since you are closer to 390)??
Thanks for any and all help!!  and sorry I have no clue still, of computer use!!
Chris

Chris,
glad you can make it! if you like, you are welcome to ride along with myself, Matt and Ken..we will be leaving from Ogden at 6am. Or if you want or need to drive yourself, thats fine too..

yes, its 390 south, which merges right into Route 17 East. (they are slowly converting Route 17 into I-86, right now its generally called both, 17 and 86.)

Route 17 east past Bath, Corning and Elmira..to exit 60. at the end of the exit ramp, at the traffic light, its left onto Route 220, cross over the tracks, then right on Broad street.
Take Broad st to Fulton, right on Fulton..then left into the parking lot at the tracks..

I'll check on the download/printing issue tomorrow (Tuesday) and get back to you on that..

Scot

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2016, 9:52pm by scottychaos » Logged
scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #749 on: Apr 5th, 2016, 7:59am »

Chris,
I tried the download..this is how I did it:

1. click the "download all" button in the upper-right corner of the page.
2. this downloads a zip file to your computer.
3. double-click the folder to open it.

you now have a folder with all the individual images in it..
double-click on the first one to open it..
it will open in different programs for different people, depending on what you have on your computer to view photos..whatever program it is, it should most likely have a print option under "file"..in the upper-right corner, click "file", and under that should be "print"

You will likely need to print them one at a time..I am not aware of any way to send them all to a printer all at once..

although you could try selecting several at a time, right-clicking on them, then see if you can print them as a group..that might work.

Scot

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2016, 12:36pm by scottychaos » Logged
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #750 on: Apr 5th, 2016, 9:07am »

I'm definitely not gonna make it..Been working on a '74 Suzuki 380 for almost a year for a customer,he lives in Virginia..He's coming to pick it up Saturday.

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #751 on: Apr 5th, 2016, 9:34am »

If you guys make it into the freight house/ OIP pizza joint, make sure you go look at the pictures on the way to the men's room.  There is a photo there that I have never seen before. It is of Mauch Chunk around the freight house area.  Really neat place.  Good food too.
  If Danny and I make it we will see you at the Sayre station around 10. Danny has got to work late Friday into Saturday morning so he will be a bit slow.  
   Bob I will have that sign we talked about last year, unless you are staying on the couch.     Keith

Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #752 on: Apr 6th, 2016, 12:32am »

Keith- Of Course I'll be there, with my pickup, that will be perfect. Dan said you'd be south still, didn't expect to see you! Looking forward to a fun day off the couch!  

Bob

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #753 on: Apr 6th, 2016, 6:43pm »

See you all there.  The only reason I am going to make the trip is Danny said he would buy the beer !!!  HA HA     Keith

LVRR2095
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #754 on: Apr 6th, 2016, 6:57pm »

on Apr 6th, 2016, 6:43pm, darktown2 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
See you all there.  The only reason I am going to make the trip is Danny said he would buy the beer !!!  HA HA     Keith

Oh shoot! If I had known there was going to be beer.....I would have arranged to tag along!

Keith  (the other Keith)

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #755 on: Apr 6th, 2016, 9:42pm »

Does this indicate that the old Lehigh Tavern in Sayre is still in business?

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #756 on: Apr 7th, 2016, 4:12am »

Yes Paul the Lehigh tavern is still in business. However the ownership has changed.  Chuck who had it in his family for over 50 years decided to retire. I have not been in since the new folks have taken over.
   I liked Chuck because he said as long as he owns the place it would always be called the "Lehigh".  Boy if the walls could talk.  Many cars shifted in there !! Keith

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #757 on: Apr 7th, 2016, 2:01pm »

The closer we get to Saturday, the worse the forecast becomes.
I have been watching the forecasts all week, and its generally been "35 degrees and partly cloudy" for Sayre..cold, but not a big deal.

Now the forecast for Saturday is high of 33 and 90% chance of snow. 1-3 inches.  
urrrrrr..

Its now warm enough that the snow probably wont even stick to the roads..so it likely wont impact driving..but its certainty not ideal..should we consider postponing for a nicer weekend? (I can't do the following weekend..)

or should we just go for it? thoughts?

Scot

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #758 on: Apr 7th, 2016, 2:24pm »

Well, I wouldn't be upset if you guys DID postpone it, especially since it looks like I can't make it! But if not, I will be there in spirit!

One down, one to go.......
scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #759 on: Apr 7th, 2016, 7:01pm »

Scott Hetsko's weather map (Rochester weatherman) on the 6:00 news shows snow across the southern tier early on Saturday, but ending by the afternoon..

Scot

« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2016, 7:01pm by scottychaos » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »