Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 29th, 2017, 8:56pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rochester meet-up
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Rochester meet-up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rochester meet-up  (Read 15761 times)
DElder
Chaser
Re: Rochester meet-up

« Reply #680 on: Apr 7th, 2015, 8:50pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Man, I'm truly envious of you guys!  I've said this before, but one of these years I've got to make it to this outing.  (If I didn't already have my regular annual trek back to NY during late July/early August, I'd be there for sure this year....that said, Sayre next year is going on my "must do" list.)

Keith: Dan Sloat is a familiar name....I've been corresponding with him for quite a few years now regarding his experiences while working for the LV, and he's been an incredible source of great information.  I'm truly grateful to guys like Dan and you (and everybody else here!) who are willing to share their experiences with those of us who are fans of the LV!

And I'll certainly second the comment about getting Paul transported back there this weekend from Colorado...having him along would be the "icing on the cake"!
   Doug

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #681 on: Apr 8th, 2015, 11:58pm »

Contemplated a drive back east this spring. Fate being what it is the decision was made to abandon that which was contemplated. Turned out an injury to my wife a few days ago would have prevented the drive at any rate.  

Hope all have a good time. Look forward to the reports and any photos.

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #682 on: Apr 9th, 2015, 12:33am »

Sorry to hear there won't be any Bednars with us this Saturday. Still it will be fun exploring the line, and I am looking forward already to next year in Sayre; hopefully it will be our biggest turnout yet, with a possible visit from our friends out west. TB, sorry to hear the news about your wife, here's hoping things are on the mend.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #683 on: Apr 10th, 2015, 8:46pm »

TB, I too am sorry to learn you can't join us this year... but I do hope you can join us next year. best wishes to your wife for a full recovery.  

To those who are coming to the 5th annual "A Walk With The Lehigh Valley RR" tommorow, I look forward to seeing you.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #684 on: Apr 10th, 2015, 11:50pm »

Thank you folks for the kind words. My wife was moved to rehab yesterday and will probably be there for two weeks.  

You guys have a fun walk and a enjoyable day overall.

DElder
Chaser

« Reply #685 on: Apr 13th, 2015, 7:20pm »

Hey gang:
Did the Naples branch "walk in the weeds" come off as planned this past Saturday?  Looking forward to a trip report and pictures!
   Doug

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #686 on: Apr 13th, 2015, 8:00pm »

Doug,
yep! it was a success!  
We did Naples to Geneva and several places in between..
I will post pictures here tomorrow..(Tuesday)
Scot

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #687 on: Apr 13th, 2015, 8:03pm »

I agree with Scot- we saw alot of cool and interesting things on our expedition. My photos will be coming in a few days.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #688 on: Apr 13th, 2015, 8:09pm »

Scot, please don't forget to send me the pictures of us guys in the turntable pit, send it full size if you would to my e-mail address which is marks22@rochester.rr.com Thanks, and send both if you would!   Great time with you all, looking forward to next year!

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #689 on: Apr 14th, 2015, 4:32pm »

on Apr 13th, 2015, 8:09pm, mtcg16 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Scot, please don't forget to send me the pictures of us guys in the turntable pit, send it full size if you would to my e-mail address which is marks22@rochester.rr.com Thanks, and send both if you would!   Great time with you all, looking forward to next year!

No problem Mark!
I will email them tonight..
Scot

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #690 on: Apr 14th, 2015, 4:45pm »

The 5th annual Western NY LVRR tour!  
This years tour: the LV Naples Branch.

Stop 1, the Naples NY yard area, end of the line for the Naples branch.
Here the intrepid historians have located the LV's Naples turntable pit! Local artists have erected some sculpture on the site.  

Most of the north and west pit wall is still intact, although oddly most of the south and east pit wall is gone! photos show it was in fact a complete concrete ring when the turntable was in use. perhaps some of the wall was removed for fill, stream rip-rap, or some other purpose. This view is looking South-West:

Looking West:

Based on maps, this dirt driveway is most likely the ROW of a single spur track that ran on the west side of the turntable. view is looking north from the side of the turntable, with the green Naples depot in the middle distance:

Standing in the same spot as the photographer of the LV Camelback 2-8-0 sitting on the Naples turntable:

There was a small engine house at Naples, but it was just north of the depot, and was probably only in use in earlier times. there was never a roundhouse or enginehouse next to the turntable.
The rear "stop" of the turntable. the south edge of the turntable wall:

What better place to take a group photo than IN the turntable pit! Here are the six guys on this years tour:

Now over to take a look a look at the existing Naples depot and environs..

The scale house:

Considering the LV left town in 1970, 45 years ago, the amount of structures still standing is surprising! most of these structures to the west of the depot were businesses served by rail.

While we were standing aeround on the road, the owner of the depot showed up! He allowed us to take a walk around the property, and told us his plans for the depot, very nice!..he is planning to fix it up!

Same spot, just about 100 years later:

the photo above shows the original Naples depot in the foreground, which no longer stands. Just behind it you can see the roof outline of the currently existing Naples depot. The owner of the current depot placed the boulder to mark the corner of the original depot.

After Naples, we headed North-East up the branch toward Geneva. second stop of the day, Middlesex NY:

We determined that the Middlesex depot would have been just south of Williams street, but there was nothing to see there, not a trace of the railroad.

Third stop, Rushville. A nicely groomed rail-trail has been built on the Naples branch  north out of Rushville. It became obvious that the current bridge for the rail-trail over West River is not the original railroad bridge. The current bridge is a new bridge created for the rail-trail. it is not resting on the original wooden bridge abutments, which are still in place.

In the photo above an informational kiosk is visable, with information about the railroad that led to the current railtrail, here are the articles posted:

More photos of the new rail-trail bridge:

Wooden bridge abutments are original LV, while the bridge itself is not:

and a bit south of the new bridge, we discovered what is most likely the remants of the original railroad bridge! three large H-beams of the correct length, and some bits of rail.

Fourth stop, Gorham NY.

The LV's Gorham NY depot may not be long for this world:

5th stop, Stanley NY, once home to a dimond crossing, and tower, at the intersection of the LV Naples branch and the PRR Elmira branch. Immediately west of the diamond the PRR split into two lines, the PRR branch to Canandaigua, and the PRR Elmira branch continuing north to the coal dock at Sodus Bay on Lake Ontario. This spot saw PRR steam as late as 1957. The two PRR ROW's north and west from Stanley are nice rail trails today.

Using maps, and the visible ROW's as they extend off into the distance in four directions, we were able to work out the exact location of the Stanley diamond! Aric, Mark and Ken stand on the diamond:

I stood on the diamond and photographed the four directions out from the diamond:

This is believed to be a remnant of the tower foundation:

That's the end of the tour of the Naples branch! We didnt go up to the junction of the branch with the LV mainline near the LV Geneva passenger station, since we had already explored that area on past tours. Instead we finished the day with a visit to the Finger Lakes Railway in Geneva. My first in-person sightings of the two new FGLK SD38-2's!

Couldnt get a view of the entire number 3303 from the parking lot, as she was blocked by the 2308...this will have to do for now, until I can catch her out on the road:

While we were checking things out from the parking lot, we heard a railroad whistle off to the west! a FGLK train coming into town from Watkins Glen.. So we drove over to Pre-Emption street to catch the second new SD38-2 coming into town!

These two newest FGLK locomotives are classed as SD38-2's, because they were de-turboed. but they are still in their complete SD40-2 carbodies. Lightning Stripes looks great on them! very classy locomotives..

Back to the Geneva yard. the old war-horse GP9 1703 is now in storage. the newest FGLK locomotive passes by one of the originals:

3301 has only been with FGLK for three weeks, and she hasn't received her FGLK nose logos yet. (3303 arrived before 3301)

And that concludes the tour of the Naples branch! thanks for viewing.
Scot

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2015, 5:05pm by scottychaos » Logged
mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #691 on: Apr 14th, 2015, 6:20pm »

Thanks Scot, great pictures!

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #692 on: Apr 15th, 2015, 12:00am »

A most complete and excellent photographic record. Thank you.

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #693 on: Apr 15th, 2015, 3:09pm »

Looks like It was a great trip. Thanks for posting the photos - I was waiting with anticipation...

ken_g
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #694 on: Apr 17th, 2015, 9:33pm »

Scot- thank you for the nice pictures and supporting text!

Here are my pics, mostly redundant but a few extra angles for your reference:  http://kengardner.smugmug.com/150411-Lehigh-Valley-meetup/

Includes a few shots of Bob & Ruth's back room - I love that place and dig the decor!

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #695 on: Apr 17th, 2015, 9:50pm »

thanks everyone!  
and thanks for your pic Ken!
and no, I dont think "redundant" applies..because I always like seeing all the different things that different people find and choose to photograph..you got lots of little details that I didnt even notice at all..especially at Stanley, so I think everyone should post all their photos!  

I think this is the first year I have actually posted any of mine..  
past years I always meant to, but never got around to it..I vowed not to do that this time.
so..everyone share photos please!  

Scot

mtcg16
Historian
  10497125_10206729323221552_5895259262124161166_o.jpg - 190878 Bytes
« Reply #696 on: Apr 18th, 2015, 7:10am »

Thanks Ken, I agree with Scot, all pictures I have seen from both of you guys are great. I did not see the stuff at stanley either, with the exception of the tower foundation.. Will post mine soon as well.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (190878 bytes, 1152x864 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 10497125_10206729323221552_5895259262124161166_o.jpg - 190878 Bytes

mtcg16
Historian
  11026044_10206729324901594_9026905447723657023_o.jpg - 268131 Bytes
« Reply #697 on: Apr 18th, 2015, 7:12am »

Bridge at Rushville

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (268131 bytes, 1152x864 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 11026044_10206729324901594_9026905447723657023_o.jpg - 268131 Bytes

mtcg16
Historian
  11136272_10206729326461633_7319649880872831218_o.jpg - 256727 Bytes
« Reply #698 on: Apr 18th, 2015, 7:13am »

Gorham Station

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (256727 bytes, 1152x864 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 11136272_10206729326461633_7319649880872831218_o.jpg - 256727 Bytes

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #699 on: Apr 18th, 2015, 4:38pm »

Hey Gang; Boy after looking at some of Scot's photos, I am sorry I did not make the trip.
   For some reason I only get Scot's photos from Naples and a few at Middlesex, then the photos just show an X. Is it my computer or me??
    Thanks again for the photos and the "look back".
              Keith

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »