Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 12th, 2017, 5:57am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rochester meet-up
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Rochester meet-up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rochester meet-up  (Read 16440 times)
BlackDiamondRR
Historian
Re: Rochester meet-up

« Reply #640 on: Apr 16th, 2014, 7:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Matthew,  Thanks for posting your photos! I couldn't attend this gathering this year as we were out of state at that time. Unfortunate as I only live 4 blocks from where the BCK #43 sits! Maybe next year I will be around for it.  
    I am also building a large layout in the basement that will sport the "P & L Jct" sign that Keith made for me awhile ago. Although I won't be modeling P & L Jct per se, I do want the sign hung down there.
     Bud Rindfleisch

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #641 on: Apr 17th, 2014, 8:47pm »

Bud, you're welcome. You are certainly welcome to join us next year. Among other things, I am going to track down the owner of the former Niagara Junction site... so we can get permission to go there.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #642 on: Sep 11th, 2014, 8:06pm »

I am not sure about the trip to Buffalo next spring. I was hoping that we could explore some of the former L&LE but 9as was seen ih te GTL thread), much of it is private property... and posted, too. Any suggestions for next year are welcome.  

Sayre still looks good for 2016.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #643 on: Sep 11th, 2014, 11:02pm »

Since I have not been to Sayre, I would kie to do that sooner than later. I would really rather explore more of whats left, or gone of the Lehigh Valley. Would also like to " Find" the old R&E abutments west of Victor, just my 2 cents.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #644 on: Sep 11th, 2014, 11:37pm »

I'm doing a lot better health wise,but I can't see myself going to Rochester/Buffalo any time soon because of my finances.I'm up for Sayre any time.Matt,is there going to be another slide presentation in Sayre again this year?

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #645 on: Sep 12th, 2014, 11:12pm »

on Sep 11th, 2014, 11:37pm, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm doing a lot better health wise,but I can't see myself going to Rochester/Buffalo any time soon because of my finances.I'm up for Sayre any time.Matt,is there going to be another slide presentation in Sayre again this year?

I haven't heard of any more shows in Sayre. Sorry about that.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #646 on: Sep 12th, 2014, 11:14pm »

on Sep 11th, 2014, 11:02pm, mtcg16 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Since I have not been to Sayre, I would kie to do that sooner than later. I would really rather explore more of whats left, or gone of the Lehigh Valley. Would also like to " Find" the old R&E abutments west of Victor, just my 2 cents.

Since Buffalo no longer looks viable, I was thinking of the Leroy/Mumford/Caledonia area. We could add in Victor if desired.  

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2014, 11:17pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #647 on: Sep 13th, 2014, 8:14pm »

We could do Sayre for the next trip..2015.
I only suggested Sayre for the 2016 trip because it would be the 40th Anniversary of the end of the LV and the beginning of Conrail..but..is that anniversary terribly relevant to the trip itself?
perhaps not..Sayre isnt going to be any different in 2015 or 2016! (as far as we know right now.)
im not adamant about Sayre for 2016 only! it was just an idea that made sense because of the anniversary..So, we could do Sayre next, or we could plan something else, besides Buffalo, for 2015 and still do Sayre for 2016..im up for anything!  

Scot

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #648 on: Sep 14th, 2014, 5:18pm »

I'm pretty much out for anything much farther than Syracuse.Takes me over an hour to just to get to Binghamton..I'd be up for Sayre any time,only been there once or twice.

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

My_Scans662_739x548.jpg - 44382 Bytes
« Reply #649 on: Sep 14th, 2014, 7:21pm »

LeRoy/Mumford/Caledonia with Victor added sounds like an interesting tour.

LeRoy (more properly North LeRoy:

A rare open spandrel concrete bridge over Oatka Creek.

To the east along Gulf Road near the LVRR crossing is a huge steam shovel on display that was once utilized by an abandoned stone quarry.

Caledonia:

P&L Jct., of course. Tower foundation remains and a collapsed section shed can be found in the weeds. West of Spring Street is a concrete phone booth, C&S poles and what has to be the last remaining section of original LVRR single track and passing siding.

Along Lehigh Street east of North St., behind a line of buildings is the Caledonia station site.

Mumford:

At the Genesee Country Museum is the P&L Jct. station, however not painted in LVRR colors.

Victor:

The R&E R Rwy bridge abutments are along the Lehigh Trail west of Rt. 251. Photo is of how they appeared  in the early 1970s.

Good luck. Hope the majority goes along with this tour. Would very much enjoy participating,

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/My_Scans662_739x548.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2014, 7:23pm by TB_Diamond » Logged

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #650 on: Sep 14th, 2014, 8:41pm »

Thanks as always for the info and photos Paul, both are always enjoyable and informative.

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #651 on: Sep 14th, 2014, 8:44pm »

Hey, also in case no one has noticed, the LV track into Victor has been re Ballasted and the area where the second track once was is cleaned up. Also the bridge over the Canandaigua outlet has been re decked with new rail and ties and a steel walkway. Seems like the Fingerlakes wants to keep the old girl alive for a while longer.  

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #652 on: Sep 14th, 2014, 11:03pm »

Understand that the Victor R&E R Rwy/LVRR interchange r/o/w can still be located in the weeds.

Additionally, the Hungerford-Smith spur that went to what last info mentioned is now a CVS warehouse and which came off the LVRR just west of the School Street grade crossing remains intact through the woods but disconnected from the former LVRR.

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #653 on: Sep 15th, 2014, 6:53am »

The R&E ROW has been cleared and is now a walking trail east of the old R&E station in victor as well.

LVRR_MANCHESTER
Chaser

« Reply #654 on: Sep 15th, 2014, 9:14pm »

For what it is worth there are still a few hidden treasures in Manchester.  The roundhouse is still standing as well the old engine offices and the oil house.  The old water tower on the south side of the yard and a few ruins which are still there if you know where to look.  Just recently a friend of mine acquired the land on the west end of the yard and was unable to get his land to drain with all the rain this year.  Living here my whole life I showed him where the culvert was.  We dug it up and cleaned it out.  Glad I hunted rabbits in there for all those years.  As you may know the refurbished an old Conrail caboose and are making a small park where the old bunkhouse used to set which is a work in progress

« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2014, 9:17pm by LVRR_MANCHESTER » Logged
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #655 on: Sep 22nd, 2014, 8:04pm »

on Sep 14th, 2014, 7:21pm, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
LeRoy/Mumford/Caledonia with Victor added sounds like an interesting tour.

LeRoy (more properly North LeRoy:

A rare open spandrel concrete bridge over Oatka Creek.

To the east along Gulf Road near the LVRR crossing is a huge steam shovel on display that was once utilized by an abandoned stone quarry.

Caledonia:

P&L Jct., of course. Tower foundation remains and a collapsed section shed can be found in the weeds. West of Spring Street is a concrete phone booth, C&S poles and what has to be the last remaining section of original LVRR single track and passing siding.

Along Lehigh Street east of North St., behind a line of buildings is the Caledonia station site.

Mumford:

At the Genesee Country Museum is the P&L Jct. station, however not painted in LVRR colors.

Victor:

The R&E R Rwy bridge abutments are along the Lehigh Trail west of Rt. 251. Photo is of how they appeared  in the early 1970s.

Good luck. Hope the majority goes along with this tour. Would very much enjoy participating,

I like your suggestions. Every one of them is interesting. What do the rest of you think?

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #656 on: Sep 22nd, 2014, 8:29pm »

I would be up for this!

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #657 on: Sep 22nd, 2014, 10:51pm »

Other than for the Genesee Country Museum, the steam shovel which is visible from Gulf Road and the R&E abutments, there may be problems gaining 100% legal ingress to some of the sites.

The list presented was not actually a suggestion but merely a presentation of what can still be seen at the various locations.

Will leave it to you folks on the ground back in NYS to see if a tour of any or all of the sites would at all be practical and will be guided by what is determined by the majority.

Thank you for your consideration.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #658 on: Sep 23rd, 2014, 8:22pm »

on Sep 22nd, 2014, 10:51pm, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Other than for the Genesee Country Museum, the steam shovel which is visible from Gulf Road and the R&E abutments, there may be problems gaining 100% legal ingress to some of the sites.

The list presented was not actually a suggestion but merely a presentation of what can still be seen at the various locations.

Will leave it to you folks on the ground back in NYS to see if a tour of any or all of the sites would at all be practical and will be guided by what is determined by the majority.

Thank you for your consideration.

You are very welcome. I will have to do some investigation on some of the other sites to see if we can gain access.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #659 on: Oct 19th, 2014, 8:30pm »

Ken G has made a suggestion of touring the Naples Branch in the spring. At least some of the ROW is a trail now. We could also view the turntable pit at Naples, too.  When I mentioned this to John yesterday, he also told me the RGVRRM might be able to have an LV-themed event that afternoon/evening, as well. Who else like these ideas?

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »