Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 17th, 2017, 7:53am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rochester meet-up
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Rochester meet-up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rochester meet-up  (Read 16266 times)
darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Rochester meet-up

« Reply #600 on: Feb 9th, 2014, 10:54am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Aye to the meeting place and aye to the breakfast spot. Thanks for allowing this old coot to come along!!  Keith

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #601 on: Feb 10th, 2014, 8:33pm »

Old coot I don't think so, Keith. You are our living connection to the LV, and I think can safely speak for the whole group by saying we are honored to have you with us.  

Scott- I like your suggestion for CP Draw. I'll need some time to think about it, but there's probably a way to rearrange our schedule to accomodate it. A couple of key factors to keep in mind:

1. Our host for Williamsville has his fundraiser in the afternoon, so we really need to get there by 10 AM at the latest.  

2. I am trying to time our visit to the Niagara Falls so we can be there when Amtrak's Maple Leaf arrives. The train is named in honor of LV, so I figure it's a good fit for our trip.  

The question is: how long do we want to spend at either Tifft or CP Draw? I'm figuring the Williamsville depot tour take about 1 hour, the HH660 will take about 30 minutes and Niagara Falls will also be about 30 minutes. Once we figure out how much time we want to spend at Tifft and/or CP Draw, the pieces should fall into place.  

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2014, 8:39pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #602 on: Feb 11th, 2014, 8:47pm »

I've been checking the Maple Leaf's schedule for Niagara Falls. Eastbound #64 arrives around 12:30 PM and westbound #63 pulls in at 4:21 PM on the current schedule. I think we could squeeze in CP Draw pretty quickly if we choose to see #63 on 4/5.

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2014, 8:48pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #603 on: Feb 17th, 2014, 8:15pm »

A couple of updates for the 4th annual edition of A Walk With The Lehigh Valley RR:

1. Unless someone seriously objects, I am going to call our host tomorrow and let him know that will arrive at the depot at 10 AM EDT on Saturday 4/5.  

2. Our breakfast and rendezvous point shall be the D&R Depot in Leroy, NY. Their website http://www.dandrdepot.com/ includes a menu and a link to a map. BTW, this is what the depot looks like:

Photo taken by me Saturday 2/15/2014 in Leroy, NY. The Rochester & Southern RR line (formerly B&O/BR&P) next to the depot is active, although trains rarely pass there in the morning.  

Meet-up time at D&R depot shall be 8 AM EDT on Saturday 4/5.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

firstbelt
Historian

« Reply #604 on: Feb 18th, 2014, 7:38pm »

While you're in the area, there is a Old Red Mill Inn, 8326 Main Street/Rt 5 in Williamsville, NY, which has some rolling stock as part of the restaurant.  NYC wood caboose, 19682, plus one or two passenger cars.

http://crcaboose.railfan.net/predecessor.htm

While visiting the Lehigh Valley depot museum, I walked the "Memory Trail."  People plant trees and shrubs in memory of loved ones.  I was amused to see a marker with my name (almost) on it.  ("Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.")

http://www.scout.me/lehigh-memory-trail--near--buffalo-ny/e-11538773

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #605 on: Feb 18th, 2014, 7:59pm »

I called our host today and left him a voice mail to let him know we will be arriving at the Williamsville depot at 10 AM on Sat 4/5. Our host also sent me a letter last week, requesting a head count for our visit. He'll provide us with coffee and tea. Therefore, please let me know if you will be attending by E-mailing me via mistersnoozer@yahoo.com  

Also, there will be a spaghetti dinner at a church in Cheektowaga on Sat 4/5 to raise funds for the Williamsville depot. If you are interested in attending, please let me know. Tickets must be purchased in advance for the dinner, which will be held from 4 PM to 7 PM.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #606 on: Feb 20th, 2014, 8:24pm »

Thanks to who have contacted me so far. The sooner any interested parties confirm via E-mail, the better. I'm trying to get a head count together for our host and  D&R depot. I will be speaking to the folks at D&R soon regarding their policy for large groups.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #607 on: Feb 21st, 2014, 6:20am »

Due to everything going on in my life right now(My Mom's Health, unemployed, Ect) I am going to have to bow out of this years event. Hope you all have a good time, see you next year.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #608 on: Feb 24th, 2014, 8:53pm »

Mark, I'm sorry you can't make it.  

OK, here's a revision to the itinerary:

1. D&R depot @ 8 AM for breakfast.  

2. Williamsville depot @ 10 AM

3. Niagara Falls Amtrak station @ 12 Noon  (Amtrak #64 arrives @ 12:30 PM)

4. Hamburg @ 1:30 PM (to see the BCK HH660 and anything else we like)  

5. CP Draw @ 2:30 PM  

5. Tifft Nature Preserve @ 4:00 PM  

I think this schedule will work. Plus, it will give us time to attend the depot's fundraiser dinner, if anyone is interested.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #609 on: Mar 3rd, 2014, 8:06pm »

Good news- we have formal reservations @ D&R depot for 8 AM on Saturday AM. I told them we will have approximately 10 people in our party.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #610 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 8:25pm »

on Mar 3rd, 2014, 8:06pm, Matthew_L wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Good news- we have formal reservations @ D&R depot for 8 AM on Saturday AM. I told them we will have approximately 10 people in our party.

Thanks Matt for getting things all lined up for us.......Mark, sorry you won't be able to make the meet-up this year.

A month from tomorrow.......time's moving quick. I'm psyched about seeing everyone this year. I just hope the darned weather warms up some time soon!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #611 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 8:38pm »

Hopefully next year. My Mom has gone from Bad to worse and I just can't be too far. Have fun all!! Take pictures please!!

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #612 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 8:48pm »

on Mar 4th, 2014, 8:25pm, Charlie Ricker wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Thanks Matt for getting things all lined up for us.......Mark, sorry you won't be able to make the meet-up this year.

A month from tomorrow.......time's moving quick. I'm psyched about seeing everyone this year. I just hope the darned weather warms up some time soon!

Charlie

You're welcome Charlie. Another location came to mind, as well. Who wants to walk the Lehigh Trail in Cheektowaga? It is a segment of the former LV main that is now a paved trail.  

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2014, 8:49pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #613 on: Mar 10th, 2014, 7:58pm »

I ran into some nice folks at the recent R&GVRRM dinner who might be interested in joining our trip to greater Buffalo, If so, please contact me via mistersnoozer@yahoo.com by Saturday 3/29 so I can have an accurate head count for our host at Williamsville.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

alsorailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #614 on: Mar 17th, 2014, 1:39pm »

Won't be able to make it this year. Too tough to try to get two Saturdays off and am not even sure I get the first one off either. Plus am taking extra vacation time off for son's wedding and had the foresight to take an extra week off in February.  

Mark, sorry to hear about your mother, my condolences.  

« Reply #584 on: Jan 23rd, 2014, 4:22pm »  Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify  

basically the same??  
 how about *exactly* the same!    
 I can tell by the placement of the various power lines/poles/structures that you very carefully lined up everything exactly, and found the spot where the original photographer was standing within a matter of mere feet..well done!  

Scot  

Is there a post or two missing here?  Have not really been able to check in on this website nor the railroad.net (NYS railfan) since last June.  

Also my apologies for not having uploading and posting last year's trip especially the group picture. -trouble with uploading when Goggle went from Picasaweb to Google+. Takes forever now to upload.
 And Ken, how do you copy and PASTE the captions onto your pictures??  
Loved the picture of me standing on the van roof and would like a copy of that as June, after 15 years, had to trade it in. Too expensive to repair. (Wife wants a copy for scrapbooking....)

Can anyone give me a step by step on how to upload a Window Media Video onto here?? Thanks.  

So folks, have a good time, be safe and take pictures!!!  

Chris

Oh yeah, sorry this is long winded and also do you guys from last year's trip still want me to upload and post pictures from last year??

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #615 on: Mar 18th, 2014, 8:17pm »

Our host has been kind enough to send me information about the spaghetti dinner to raise funds for the Willaimsville depot.

Time: 4 PM to 7 PM  EDT

4774 Union Road
Cheektowaga, NY  

Adult tickets; $9 each
Children 6 to 12: $5 each
Children 5 and under: free

Dinner includes all the spaghetti you can eat, 2 meatballs, salad. bread/butter, coffee, tea, milk and dessert. Additional meatballs are $0.50 each.  

Please contact me if you are interested in attending the dinner- I don't want to give out our host's phone # in public without permission. I will probably just donate money, since I think our crew will be out till dark that day.  

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2014, 8:19pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #616 on: Mar 29th, 2014, 1:13pm »

Helle everyone, I'm getting excited because the 4th annual edition of A Walk With The Lehigh Valley RR is one week from today. Hopefully, the weather will be cooperative. (Yeah, I'm an optimist on that one.)

If you plan to join us at either D&R Depot or the Williamsville Depot, please notify me by E-mail [b]today[/b if you have not done so already.  

I'm looking forward toseeing the group again, and exploring more of the LV.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #617 on: Mar 31st, 2014, 8:36pm »

I have spoken to our host at Williamsville this evening. He is expecting about 10 of us on Saturday 4/5 at 10 AM. I have printed up some maps to help us find the locations we plan to visit. This si going to be alot of fun.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #618 on: Mar 31st, 2014, 10:24pm »

Sounds great Matt!  
thanks for getting things organized for us, much appreciated!
Scot

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #619 on: Apr 1st, 2014, 7:14am »

on Mar 31st, 2014, 10:24pm, scottychaos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Sounds great Matt!  
thanks for getting things organized for us, much appreciated!
Scot

I'll be happy to second that.............thank you!!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »