Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 30th, 2017, 1:24am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rochester meet-up
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Rochester meet-up
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rochester meet-up  (Read 16077 times)
scottychaos
Historian
Re: Rochester meet-up

« Reply #60 on: Mar 10th, 2011, 5:32pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Ken,
thats a good idea!
(a future bicycling trip to the Genesee River bridge, and the locations of the other bridges) There are some other interesting things to see up and down the greenway trail too..Canal remnants and such.

Scot

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #61 on: Mar 10th, 2011, 5:50pm »

One last bit of input:

Ryder Hill Road at one time lead across School of Industry  (NYS) property to one of the school dairy farms which was situated just south of the LVRR trestle. As late as the late 1970s it was not posted and was blacktop to just short of the farm. This was after the state closed the school but prior to the establishment of the prison/rehab facility or whatever is fenced in just north of the LV Trail. I do not believe that the public can access this road at present but could well be wrong.

Should the bridge over the Auburn Road be included in your tour keep in mind that the R&E R Rwy bridge abutments are east of the bridge about a half mile.

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #62 on: Mar 10th, 2011, 8:56pm »

on Mar 10th, 2011, 2:37pm, ken_g wrote:       (Click here for original message)
One suggestion: break out the Gen River bridge for another meetup, possibly on bikes or just make it the main focus of a separate trip.  Besides the Lehigh, south of the PRR junction the NYC Peanut and Erie crossed the Pennsy and there are bridge abutments to see.

I've ridden my bike over there quite a bit and it's not a quick jaunt, so walking in would eat up a lot of time in my opinion.  And if it was just in and out to the Lehigh bridge, you'd miss the other two unless you come up from the South.

My first experience with that area was coming in from the East, which really showed the magnitude of the bridge.  You hit the one abutment then the ground drops, and many of the concrete "feet" are scattered around.  By the time you reach what's left of the bridge, it is amazing how high and how long the structure must've been.  (Still looking for a good picture- have only seen sections at a time.)

The Manchester roundhouse would definitely be something for folks coming from out of town to see, if they were making one trip only- as Scot pointed out who knows how long it'll be there.  It looked pretty rough last month when I visited.

Ken

Hey Ken, welcome aboard and thanks for the input. You are certainly giving us something to think about! Since you don't have a gig that weekend, you should join us on the 2nd.  

P.S. To the rest of you- I used to roadie for Ken's band 10 years ago.  

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2011, 8:58pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
rgvrr
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #63 on: Mar 12th, 2011, 6:15pm »

OK, how is this?

I bumped in to Scot L and Matt L at the train show today. Here is a high level plan.  

1. Meet in Machester at 10:00 to see roundhouse area. We agreed that it would not be too wise to try to go inside. There is a possibility of a tour of the LVRRHS museum in shortsville. Will work on that.

2. Next travel to Rochester Junction. I understand there is parking and minmal walking. This wis on the way west.

3. Next, visit RGVRRM and see 211, and what ever else you feel like looking at. No charge for visit.

4. Possible visit to Genesee River bridge for those that feel like walking. Still want to do recon on access.

Matt offered to collect real emails and cell numbers, so maybe folks could PM him?

John S

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #64 on: Mar 12th, 2011, 8:55pm »

I went in the round house the other day, it's not like the roof is falling in, although there is really not much to see. There are no tracks or pits. Also the Bridge over the Auburn line is on the way to Rochester Junction. If anyone would like, I know the back roads and we could meet at the roundhouse, which is right down the road(Kind of) from me and we could go from there. If a few people wanted to leave their trucks or cars at my house, you could ride with me. Just a thought!

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #65 on: Mar 12th, 2011, 8:59pm »

Also, i will be at the train show tomorrow if anyone is going. I will have on my black Lehigh Valley jacket and I have red hair and glasses.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #66 on: Mar 13th, 2011, 9:02pm »

on Mar 12th, 2011, 6:15pm, rgvrr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
OK, how is this?

I bumped in to Scot L and Matt L at the train show today. Here is a high level plan.  

1. Meet in Machester at 10:00 to see roundhouse area. We agreed that it would not be too wise to try to go inside. There is a possibility of a tour of the LVRRHS museum in shortsville. Will work on that.

2. Next travel to Rochester Junction. I understand there is parking and minmal walking. This wis on the way west.

3. Next, visit RGVRRM and see 211, and what ever else you feel like looking at. No charge for visit.

4. Possible visit to Genesee River bridge for those that feel like walking. Still want to do recon on access.

Matt offered to collect real emails and cell numbers, so maybe folks could PM him?

John S

John, it was a pleasure to meet you yesterday. I will be glad to collect the information for the meet-up. Those who are interested should please PM me or send an E-mail to: mistersnoozer@yahoo.com

We want the information so we coordinate activities (especially with this being our first meet-up) and help anyone who gets lost.

Unless anyone has serious objections, I think John has the winning itinerary for our trip. It really does make the most sense to visit Manchester/Shortsville first and then head back to the Mendon-Rush area. I've never done anything quite like this before. Any and all input is appreciated.  

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2011, 9:03pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #67 on: Mar 14th, 2011, 7:28am »

Wish I met some of you at the train show yesterday, I was there and bought some LV pictures and a book. Had a Black LV jacket on.

firstbelt
Historian

« Reply #68 on: Mar 17th, 2011, 9:35pm »

Maybe in a year or two, you guys ought to look in on the Tiger Valley, over near Oaks Corners, south of Phelps.  You'd run into a couple other Lehigh fans, especially when the picture show starts.

http://www.crookedlakereview.com/articles/136_167/140summer2006/140palmer3.html

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #69 on: Mar 20th, 2011, 8:44pm »

on Mar 13th, 2011, 9:02pm, Matthew_L wrote:       (Click here for original message)

John, it was a pleasure to meet you yesterday. I will be glad to collect the information for the meet-up. Those who are interested should please PM me or send an E-mail to: mistersnoozer@yahoo.com

We want the information so we coordinate activities (especially with this being our first meet-up) and help anyone who gets lost.

Unless anyone has serious objections, I think John has the winning itinerary for our trip. It really does make the most sense to visit Manchester/Shortsville first and then head back to the Mendon-Rush area. I've never done anything quite like this before. Any and all input is appreciated.  

I have received the contact information for 4 individuals so far. If you plan to attend, please send me your information for the reasons stated earlier.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

alsorailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #70 on: Mar 23rd, 2011, 8:32pm »

Just wanted to throw in this about the trail from East River Rd to the Greenway Trail. When I went, it was one of those days when I started out thinking maybe I should have brought a sweater in addition to my jacket to as the sun rose higher in the sky, why didn't I just wear a T-shirt? Even the snakes came out to bask on the warm trail!  
Anyways, since I don't know how often, well, etc. the trails are maintained, if it was anything like back then, expect to find lots of standing water, some muddy spots along the way as of now we do have quite a bit of snow on the ground. Nothing difficult to walk around, just need to be aware of it.
The estimate in previous posting for distance means it's about 1 1/2 to 2 hour walk.  Took me longer to just take pictures and looking at the craftmanship of the piers, having a conversation with a couple of bicyclist who stopped to talk to me and so on.
Hopefully you'll enjoy the pictures (forgot I still had these up..yay!) and the snake pictures are only because that one snake actually did not take off upon my approach but stopped to pose!  

https://picasaweb.google.com/alsorailfan/LeighValleyTrail42907

Chris

rgvrr
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #71 on: Mar 24th, 2011, 8:51am »

So, we are a little over a week away. Hopefully the weather will improve by then.

Has everyone checked in with Matt?

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #72 on: Mar 24th, 2011, 9:24pm »

Good news, John. We have 8 attendees who have contacted me. I think we're off to a good start.    

Of course, it's not too late to join us. I'll take contact information until the night of Friday 4/1/2011.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #73 on: Mar 26th, 2011, 11:29am »

One week to go!  

We are going to start the tour at the Manchester roundhouse:

http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/?org=aj#/2917bhglko0t77o4

If you are using GPS, (or directions on google maps or Bing maps)
use the address:

71 Merrick Circle, Manchester, NY 14504

(thats actually the address of an old bar, directly across the street from the Roundhouse. if you get to that address, you cant miss the roundhouse!)

There is no "official" parking, I have always just pulled off to the side of the road on the side of Merric Circle, near the east side of the Roundhouse.
Plan is to meet there at 10AM on Saturday, April 2.

please note we will NOT be able to go inside the roundhouse! its too dangerous, not to mention illegal..so that wont be happening.
but we can get "up close and personal" with the outside of the building, plenty of opportunities for good photos..

I will bring along maps of the various stops, and can pass them out to everyone.

Unfortunately the weather forecast is not looking so great right now..
forecasts for April 2nd are saying 40 degrees, rain and snow.  
but weather forecasts are often not very accurate that far out..a lot can change in a week. it might not be that bad..by Wednesday and Thursday we should have a much better outlook on the weather, and can plan accordingly then..

Scot

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #74 on: Mar 26th, 2011, 5:56pm »

on Mar 26th, 2011, 11:29am, scottychaos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
One week to go!  

We are going to start the tour at the Manchester roundhouse:

http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/?org=aj#/2917bhglko0t77o4

If you are using GPS, (or directions on google maps or Bing maps)
use the address:

71 Merrick Circle, Manchester, NY 14504

(thats actually the address of an old bar, directly across the street from the Roundhouse. if you get to that address, you cant miss the roundhouse!)

There is no "official" parking, I have always just pulled off to the side of the road on the side of Merric Circle, near the east side of the Roundhouse.
Plan is to meet there at 10AM on Saturday, April 2.

please note we will NOT be able to go inside the roundhouse! its too dangerous, not to mention illegal..so that wont be happening.
but we can get "up close and personal" with the outside of the building, plenty of opportunities for good photos..

I will bring along maps of the various stops, and can pass them out to everyone.

Unfortunately the weather forecast is not looking so great right now..
forecasts for April 2nd are saying 40 degrees, rain and snow.  
but weather forecasts are often not very accurate that far out..a lot can change in a week. it might not be that bad..by Wednesday and Thursday we should have a much better outlook on the weather, and can plan accordingly then..

Scot

Thanks, Scot. Nicely done!  

I agree with you about the weather forecast- it could change between now and next Saturday. Even if it is accurate, it's hard to predict when the precip will arrive on the 2nd. Maybe... with a little luck  ... it won't arrive till later in the day.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #75 on: Mar 31st, 2011, 7:51am »

Weather update for Saturday..
Still not looking like a beautiful day, but the forecasts have been somewhat improving through the week..

the Weather channel forecast has not changed all week:
http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Manchester+NY+USNY0857
But they arent local, and I think their forecasts are somewhat generic..

But the local Rochester forecasts are updated much more often, and they have been showing a (somewhat) improving Saturday:

Channel 8 Rochester:
http://rochesterhomepage.net/weather/weather
High 43, partly sunny, some chance of rain or snow.

Channel 10 Rochester:
http://www.whec.com/weather/
"Saturday Blustery and cold with flurries.  High 38."

Channel 13 Rochester:
http://rochesterhomepage.net/weather/weather
High 43, "precipation tapering" 25% chance of precipation.

Rochester D&C:
http://tinyurl.com/4mjfqfn
High 45  
Mostly cloudy, showers around; windy for the morning.  
Mostly cloudy, showers around; windy in the afternoon.  
Partly cloudy and breezy in the evening.  

So, its definately a mixed forecast..
not going to be a fabulous day, weather wise, but possibly not a washout either..
thoughts?
thumbs up? thumbs down?

Scot

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #76 on: Mar 31st, 2011, 8:17am »

They said it won't snow all day. Just let me know before I venture out!

rgvrr
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #77 on: Mar 31st, 2011, 9:30am »

I am still in, may be tough to reschedule.  

I am packing food etc, but in case anyone is wondering, there is McDonalds right on 96 in Manchester for the trip between roundhouse and junction. Also one near 332 in Farmington, not sure whats in Victor.

Also, there is a Pizza shop in the old LV depot in Rush, which is on the way from the Junction to the museum.

And. lots of trees.....

JS

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #78 on: Mar 31st, 2011, 10:19am »

oh yeah..I forgot to specifically mention in my "weather post" above:
if we are gathering votes, I also vote "yes, lets do it"..
weather doesnt look like a deal breaker to me..

Scot

Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #79 on: Mar 31st, 2011, 1:47pm »

Have Fun, I can't make it... Matt knows my deal.. I'm gonna have to do it another time I guess... I was REALLY looking forward to the personal tour of the museum and LV211 tho, darn it all....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »