Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 26th, 2017, 6:38pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rochester meet-up
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Rochester meet-up
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rochester meet-up  (Read 16153 times)
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Rochester meet-up

« Reply #560 on: Apr 13th, 2013, 4:28pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Nice shots, Ken. Is that Pepsi can as old as I think it is?

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #561 on: Apr 13th, 2013, 5:21pm »

Great pictures Ken!! Borrowing a few for my model railroads facebook album!

LV319

« Reply #562 on: Apr 13th, 2013, 5:27pm »

Nice pictures, everyone.  I was unable to attend due to work, so thanks for sharing the experience.

All Photos taken by Mark A. Fritz, unless otherwise noted, All rights reserved.
Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #563 on: Jul 3rd, 2013, 10:54am »

Steve Peck's "Wood Doctor" business has burned to the ground while he was away on vacation. Thankfully the terrific scale layout of Trumansburg is safe in the house next door. But Steve has a long rebuild ahead after the loss of his business.

http://www.ithacajournal.com/article/20130702/NEWS01/307020057/1124/

DElder
Chaser

« Reply #564 on: Jul 3rd, 2013, 12:06pm »

Would add that the property was not insured due to the extremely high rates for shops with onsite refinishing, so this is quite obviously a financially devastating situation.  Steve's daughters have established a donation site to assist with the rebuild.  If you know Steve and/or his incredible modeling work, and would be interested in contributing to the cause, I've included the site link below.  (Hopefully I'm not violating any forum rules by including this, but considering the circumstances here, and all that Steve has contributed to the hobby and to preserving memories of the Lehigh Valley, I thought that it would be appropriate....)

www.gofundme.com/wooddoctor

Thanks gang!
   Doug

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #565 on: Jul 3rd, 2013, 3:13pm »

Doug, this link is more than welcome to stay here and I'm glad you posted it. I was glad to help and it looks like it's already doing well at just over $6,000 now. I am absolutely heart-broken for Steve.  

Thank God for all the support of other great people!  

<LV>

Charlie

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2013, 3:14pm by Charlie Ricker » Logged

~Charlie Ricker

ken_g
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #566 on: Jul 16th, 2013, 9:12am »

Benefit on 7/27, food & music, details at that same link:http://www.gofundme.com/wooddoctor

On another note, came across this interesting shot of Rochester Junction on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPPC-NY-Rochester-Junction-Depot-Railroad-Train-Station-Depot-Flood-Monroe-Co-/310706917851?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48579351db  Note the tower on the left, and compare to birds-eye view of the area now.

Check out the sellers other items- more on the Jct, Naples... Hojack, R&E (including one labeled "Naples" but it's Victor- sent them a msg.)  Lot of cool stuff.  Out of my price range though!

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #567 on: Oct 10th, 2013, 12:10am »

on Mar 3rd, 2013, 9:48pm, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)

No idea..May be recovering from surgery,LOL!![Well,not really LOL,but,what can I do..]
Hmmm..just went back to look through this thread,Yep,did end up in surgery..After problems for two decades,ended up getting FOUR BYPASSES June 25th..Had four blockages,100%,97%,97%,and a 93%..ALL of my health problems I've had since the 80's are gone,except arthritis.My doctor is stumped..

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #568 on: Oct 10th, 2013, 7:31pm »

on Oct 10th, 2013, 12:10am, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hmmm..just went back to look through this thread,Yep,did end up in surgery..After problems for two decades,ended up getting FOUR BYPASSES June 25th..Had four blockages,100%,97%,97%,and a 93%..ALL of my health problems I've had since the 80's are gone,except arthritis.My doctor is stumped..

Since you've recovered, maybe you can join us next year?  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #569 on: Jan 20th, 2014, 8:42pm »

It's just 2 months till the 1st day of spring, so the time has come to start thinking about the next meet-up. There has been some discussion of 2 different locations: greater Buffalo and Sayre. I like both ideas, so let's put it to a vote. Which location should we visit?

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #570 on: Jan 20th, 2014, 8:55pm »

My vote's for Sayre!  

~Charlie Ricker

rgvrr
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #571 on: Jan 20th, 2014, 9:03pm »

Matt,,

I am open to either at this point. BTW, Sayre is almost to Steamtown.

I am probably only going to be available the first two Saturday's in April.

John S

Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #572 on: Jan 20th, 2014, 10:09pm »

Sayre!

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #573 on: Jan 20th, 2014, 11:04pm »

Buffalo was the main original choice for this year..
then some have mentioned Sayre..Im fine with either!
(I was born in Sayre! Waverly Sayre & Athens is my hometown, (that wasnt a typo)..
so I could show people around!

But I actually prefer Buffalo for this year..and Sayre for a future visit..
why? consider this..In only two more years, 2016, it will be the 40th Anniversary of the LV's last Spring of existence..*that* would be the year to visit Sayre!  
And with the 2-year advance notice, I bet we get quite the large group to come to Sayre from all over..Tour the Museum in the Station, we could try to arrange a visit to the yard, etc..

just a thought..
If we are collecting votes, I vote for Buffalo for this year, and Sayre for 2016.

Scot

« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2014, 11:06pm by scottychaos » Logged
Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #574 on: Jan 21st, 2014, 12:34am »

Scot, I wasn't sure if Buffalo was a done deal yet, so  I threw the Sayre idea out there. Didn't occur to me that 2016 will be the 40th year since the LV's last year. I agree that would probably be a good time to tour Sayre, and we would most likely get a very good turnout . Buffalo this year would be fine with me too.

So, 2014 Buffalo area
      2015 ?
      2016 Sayre

Someone with knowledge of the area needs to help out with sites we can visit. Is there anything LV left to see at Tifft Terminal? Is there access to Niagara Junction? Williamsville Station is restored, with a LV Caboose on  site, I believe. I know it's not LV but would there be interest in Central Terminal perhaps? Suggestions and Ideas Gents?

Bob

« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2014, 1:40am by Kendaia1 » Logged
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #575 on: Jan 21st, 2014, 8:02am »

I'm definitely game for the Buffalo area this year and Sayre for 2016. Maybe for next year (2015) we could give consideration to the Scranton/Coxton/Mountain Top area? And maybe a side-stop at Steamtown? More food for thought but either way I'm happy.

Either way I'm excited to meet up again, I missed the fun last year and I'm chomping at the bit.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

ken_g
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #576 on: Jan 21st, 2014, 9:25am »

I like the 2016 Sayre idea.  If that becomes the plan, maybe us folks coming from the north could coordinate stops along the way down or back.  Ex. last summer I followed the line from Sayre to Van Etten Jct.

Tossing it out there for 2015 (or this year if not Buffalo,) there are plenty of branches w/ existing structures and stations to see like Naples, Auburn, etc.

Ken

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #577 on: Jan 21st, 2014, 9:41am »

Due to the situation of my mother, whom I am now caring for 8 hours daily, I doubt I will be able to go anywhere too far this year, I may have to skip out this time, we will see.

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #578 on: Jan 21st, 2014, 6:24pm »

Ideas for Buffalo:

LV specific:
- Williamsville - LV depot and beautifully restored LV caboose.
- Tifft Terminal - Nature preserve (site of LV barge canals) and the bridge over tracks.
- Hamburg - perhaps a Buffalo Southern visit? operating LV Alco S2 is there.
- Eden - a non-operating LV Alco S2.
- If time or location fits the schedule, Wendys for lunch at the Dingens engine terminal.
(nothing to see there, no trace of the LV..but it's the site of the LV East Buffalo engine terminal and passenger station..timing probably wont work though to get over to that area around lunchtime, so that idea probably wont work out..)

Those are all the LV-specific things I can think of..
other ideas:

- Hamburg - visiting the PRR Hippo is a must!
- CP draw?
- If anyone knows of any good NS or CSX spots to visit, that would be good.
- Buffalo Terminal? if it happens to be open. (or even if its not, can check out the outside)
- There is a very impressive gigantic CP 4-8-4 just across the river at Fort Erie, if people have their passports or NY enhanced licenses..(traffic over the bridge could be a hassle though..and we will probably have more than enough to do without leaving US soil..but im just throwing it out there..)
- I think the WNYRHS Buffalo Creek Alco HH660 is visitable "out in the open" (as opposed to being buried deep in a freight yard and inaccessible)
- I have been wanting, for decades, to find B&P SD45's in Buffalo! haven't been successful yet, and time is running short for them..(just a personal one there!
- If time permits, Medina RR museum and NYC E-units on the way home..or on the way out.

other ideas welcome!  
Scot

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #579 on: Jan 21st, 2014, 6:35pm »

Great ideas Scot.........and thanks very much for answering a question I was wondering the other day, whether the PRR I-1 hippo was still around. I'm glad it is because seeing that would be great!  

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »