Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 20th, 2017, 8:49pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rochester meet-up
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Rochester meet-up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rochester meet-up  (Read 16209 times)
Kendaia1
Historian
Re: Rochester meet-up

« Reply #500 on: Mar 27th, 2013, 1:08am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hey Doug! Cancel that other event and come on back home for a weekend! Thanks for the "In" with Steve Peck, his work on the T-Burg site looks incredible! At this point, I'm not sure how many are going to make the trip down to Trumansburg after we leave Geneva, right now I feel like, for certain, myself and 2 others. I think the Bednar gang may follow us but not certain at this point. That would be 4 more, and there may be an additional few from the group that will come. So I would give an approximate headcount of anywhere from 3 to 10 or 12, that's my best approximate educated guess, at this point in time.  As for an arrival time there, that's tough to pin down other than Saturday afternoon I"m guessing 2-3 o'clock. If he's willing, you could send me his cell phone # in a P.M. so we could contact him when we are getting near his place. I am sure that the guys would enjoy seeing his handiwork!  

Thanks again,

Bob

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #501 on: Mar 27th, 2013, 10:28am »

A few months ago a good friend related that he had discovered a coal trestle west of Trumansburg on the old LVRR passenger main r/o/w that still contained tracks.

Something you folks may wish to look for.

Another area worth exploration would be Hyat Corners where the Willard branch left the passenger main. The station stood there as late as the early 1970s.

Would have traveled east for this meet-up but for previous commitment. My wife and I are flying into Buffalo in late April in order to attend a reunion of my NYARNG SF unit plus a memorial for lost comrades which will be held at the Niagara Falls AFB. I promised her "no railfanning' and we will not leave the Niagara Frontier. Only be back three days and I hope to cover the Niagara Gorge Youngstown-NF after the reunion as she has never seen most of it.

You folks have a great time and, who knows, I may be able to catch the next meet-up, Lord willing.

« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2013, 10:46am by TB_Diamond » Logged

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #502 on: Mar 27th, 2013, 11:09am »

TB, The coal pockets at Trumansburg are still there, right by the old T-Burg station site. Not aware of tracks there, but it's possible. We shall see in a couple weeks. I've been up and down that line and that's the only coal facility that's still exists  that I can think of.

Enjoy the trip to Niagara Falls and vicinity. Lots there to see (including some former Lehigh Valley property, if you can slip it in!).  

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #503 on: Mar 27th, 2013, 11:00pm »

The way it was related, the rails remain either in or on the structure.

Thanks. Haven't been to the Falls and vicinity for several years. Heard that Amtrak may receive a new station to replace the converted Lehigh Valley Railroad freight house presently in use.

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #504 on: Mar 28th, 2013, 7:41am »

Quote:
You folks have a great time and, who knows, I may be able to catch the next meet-up, Lord willing.

Thanks Paul.......will be sure to take plenty of photos to share with you fellows that are unable to attend.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Henry
Historian

« Reply #505 on: Mar 28th, 2013, 12:37pm »

on Mar 27th, 2013, 11:00pm, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The way it was related, the rails remain either in or on the structure.

Thanks. Haven't been to the Falls and vicinity for several years. Heard that Amtrak may receive a new station to replace the converted Lehigh Valley Railroad freight house presently in use.

Amtrak is supposed to convert the old Customs House near the bridge to Canada into their new NF station.

Is 4/14 still the official date for the meet-up?

Henry

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #506 on: Mar 28th, 2013, 2:33pm »

Henry, it's Saturday April 6th......hope you can make it out!  

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

DElder
Chaser

« Reply #507 on: Apr 1st, 2013, 1:31am »

I've heard back from Steve Peck, and he indicates that he'd be open to a visit from you folks to see the Trumansburg layout project if that could be scheduled for early-mid afternoon.  He's scheduled to give a talk on the project at Gil Mack's that evening, so those of you who may be attending that could then get a preview of the project that he'll be discussing that evening.  It's most definitely worth a visit if you guys can work it into your schedule!

Bob:  Please send me a PM to discuss some details regarding the visit to Steve's and contact info.  (I'm assuming that you're the unofficial "ring leader" of this group, but if not, let me know who I should be contacting.)
   Doug

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #508 on: Apr 1st, 2013, 7:18pm »

Doug,

Thanks again for contacting Steve Peck......greatly appreciated!

So far, the forecast looks decent for Saturday, partly cloudy and 50 degrees. Up here we'll gladly take that!  

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #509 on: Apr 1st, 2013, 8:44pm »

T'burg is looking really good! I'm think we should head there around 12 Noon so we can look at the coal pockets and station. That should give us enough to investigate the area before meeting with Steve Peck.  

Also, please make sure to send your contact information to either Kendaia1 (aka Bob) or myself if you haven't do so already. I'm going to print the list of contact names and info on Friday.

« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2013, 8:45pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
DElder
Chaser

« Reply #510 on: Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:31am »

Matthew:
Just a thought, but would encourage you guys to consider getting with Steve Peck if you're planning to poke around T-burg, as he's the definite authority on all things LV around that area, and particularly around where the depot used to be and the old coaling tower still stands.   He'd probably be more than happy to act as tour guide while you're in the area.  

Need to hear from you or Bob regarding making contact with Steve for a visit on Saturday.  (He's indicated that he's open to a visit, and frankly, I need get out of the middle of this and facilitate getting you folks who are setting this up talking with him directly.)  I have his contact info, but don't want to put that out to everyone, so would appreciate it if you or Bob would send me a PM so that I can pass that along.

Jeez, not being able to be there for all this is about killing me!  While I've seen Steve's great work first-hand several times, the Geneva depot tour alone would be well worth it for me!  Again, hope you guys have great weather and a great day!  
    Doug

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

My_Scans491_726x554.jpg - 77627 Bytes
« Reply #511 on: Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:41am »

Enjoy the Geneva passenger station tour.  

Be forewarned, however, that the interior of the structure has been modified over the years. Stopped by the station one day in the late 1980s and it appeared a contractor was in the process of constructing a second floor over the old waiting room area.

Very fortunate that the station was saved. Took this photo in the fall of 1980. The deterioration of the structure was advancing even then.  

Be most interested in reading reports of the station visit and of the rest of the get together.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/My_Scans491_726x554.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #512 on: Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:18am »

Any pictures of the track side of this time of shortly after con rail takeover?

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #513 on: Apr 2nd, 2013, 4:39pm »

Meant to say "Or shortly after conrail takeover"

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #514 on: Apr 2nd, 2013, 8:14pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:31am, DElder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Matthew:
Just a thought, but would encourage you guys to consider getting with Steve Peck if you're planning to poke around T-burg, as he's the definite authority on all things LV around that area, and particularly around where the depot used to be and the old coaling tower still stands.   He'd probably be more than happy to act as tour guide while you're in the area.  

Need to hear from you or Bob regarding making contact with Steve for a visit on Saturday.  (He's indicated that he's open to a visit, and frankly, I need get out of the middle of this and facilitate getting you folks who are setting this up talking with him directly.)  I have his contact info, but don't want to put that out to everyone, so would appreciate it if you or Bob would send me a PM so that I can pass that along.

Jeez, not being able to be there for all this is about killing me!  While I've seen Steve's great work first-hand several times, the Geneva depot tour alone would be well worth it for me!  Again, hope you guys have great weather and a great day!  
    Doug

Hi Doug, I'll send you my phone # shortly.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

My_Scans492_717x523.jpg - 61034 Bytes
« Reply #515 on: Apr 3rd, 2013, 11:11am »

Here is a photo of the Geneva station taken in July, 1982.  

The tracks were not removed at this location until the following summer.

The final ConRail GV-1 passed the station the last week of June, 1978.

For a short time after 01 April 1976 ConRail m/o/w used a small office in the station.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/My_Scans492_717x523.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #516 on: Apr 3rd, 2013, 4:41pm »

Awesome Paul!! Thanks!

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #517 on: Apr 3rd, 2013, 4:44pm »

Hey guys, can someone give me the address and name of the place we are meeting for breakfast before we head to the Geneva station? Thanks. I will only be able to do the station   Then i will need to be on my way. I hope someone gets pictures of the day to share with those of us who will not be able to make it all day!  

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #518 on: Apr 3rd, 2013, 5:08pm »

Quote:
I think a good place to meet would be the Water St. Cafe. It's a Mom and Pop restaurant in Downtown Geneva, at 467 Exchange St. (Not Water St., beat's me). It's a straight shot south from exit 42; NY Rt. 14 becomes Exchange St. Parking is on the street. We can have some Coffee and Vittles if you like, then the LV Station is a 5 minute ride from there.

Here ya go, Mark--I copied part of Bob's post with the info.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #519 on: Apr 3rd, 2013, 6:36pm »

Thanks Charlie!!

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »