Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 29th, 2017, 8:48pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rochester meet-up
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Rochester meet-up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rochester meet-up  (Read 15758 times)
BlackDiamondRR
Historian
Re: Rochester meet-up

« Reply #480 on: Mar 22nd, 2013, 6:52pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

mtcg,
    Thanks for the info in re: Empire Trains, a definite destination!
  Bud

on Mar 22nd, 2013, 6:25am, mtcg16 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It's called Empire Trains, looks real small from the outside, on the left of Main street, Nice place.

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #481 on: Mar 22nd, 2013, 6:59pm »

No problem! He has tons of LV loco's in HO and N scale, even has the Norfolk Southern LV haritige unit!!

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #482 on: Mar 23rd, 2013, 2:27pm »

on Mar 22nd, 2013, 8:55am, Charlie Ricker wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yes.......Tim and Beth are first-class friendly people.

Amazing the selection they have on hand of LV items. I recommend them as well.

Nice availability of books too!

Charlie

I have to agree on Empire Trains. Went there for the 1st time today and walked out with 3 books. (This stash includes Rudy Garbely's new LV book.)  

Here is a proposed itinerary for the day:

8 AM -breakfast (stragglers can come at 9AM, if desired)

10 AM- station tour  

12 PM- Seneca Falls Branch

2 PM- Sampson

After that, I will probably have to return to Rochester. What do the rest of you think of my plan? Feel free to add later details if you plan to stay longer.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #483 on: Mar 23rd, 2013, 2:56pm »

Hey everyone,
I have a T-shirt I would like to bring on "tour day" to give away..for free..
but here is the thing..its quite small!
Anyone have, or know of, a kid who would like a LV T-shirt?
It will fit about a 4 to 10 year old kid..

Its a nice shirt! says "East Coast Large Scale Train Show" on it, and has a Red LV flag right on the front..shirt is new, never worn, and small..

a friend of mine got it for me at the East coast Large Train Show a few years back, not realizing how small it was! if anyone knows of a kid who would like to have it, I will bring it to Geneva on tour day..

thanks,
Scot

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #484 on: Mar 24th, 2013, 9:06am »

Many thanks Bob for the work in the Geneva station tour. That was enough to set the hook in me. My brother Danny has also decided to make the trip from Allentown, so not sure if we will make the feed in the morning, but a meet at the station is a great idea, and should work for us. Thanks again Bob  for the work. And I wont be taking a swim this year!!    Keith Bednar

Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #485 on: Mar 24th, 2013, 7:42pm »

That is Outstanding news Keith! I was hoping the Station tour would bring some more people up!

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #486 on: Mar 24th, 2013, 10:36pm »

Hey Keith,

Very glad that both Danny and you are coming up for this. I was getting all ready to bring scuba gear for a dip in the Seneca Canal so we could see if anything was on the bottom! Water may be still too chilly!  

I'm fine with the proposed ideas--I'm not sure if there is a lot to see at Sampson is there? I really don't know. I'm not going to stray a long distance from Geneva, as I would like to stick around for Gil Mack's open house and movie show.

With me, I kinda have to play everything by ear anyway (which kinda SUCKS).

I am looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Charlie

« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2013, 10:36pm by Charlie Ricker » Logged

~Charlie Ricker

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #487 on: Mar 25th, 2013, 6:54pm »

Sampson isn't too far from Geneva- maybe 15 or 20 minutes away. It would be nice to see a surviving remnant of the LV main, as well as north end of the Black Diamond Trail (which is near there).  

Keith, I am glad to see you and Danny are coming. This should be a fun trip.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #488 on: Mar 25th, 2013, 7:55pm »

Sounds great guys. It will be good to see everyone. I also talked with Bruce Tracy, one of the guys that did the book "When Railroads Went to The Beach". He said he would like to come along as well with another LV historian that spent many a day at Freeville station, Dan Armitage. These two guys are an amazing source of knowledge on the EC&N,SC,LV, Auburn railroad scene. So if you have any questions write them down. I do because I forget!!!!! Ha Ha  Both real good guys. Looking forward to it and THANKS!!!! Bob for setting it up.  Keith

Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #489 on: Mar 25th, 2013, 10:35pm »

Wow Keith, that sounds Great! I'd be honored to have those guys join us, feels like we will be among LV Royalty!  

Matt the itinerary sounds pretty good... We won't see too much of the SF Branch without bikes, but we can park at Barrett Marine and walk the turnout back onto the Ithaca Main bridge at Geneva Jct.  Sampson is about 20 minutes from there, and if you want to, the Black Diamond Trail (Taughannock Falls) is about another 20-25 minutes from there. I would be happy to point out the LV artifacts along the way- we would pass Gilbert Cut; then we would meet the Ithaca Passenger Main and follow right beside it, passing Sheldrake Srings, where there is still a large LV Bridge; Interlaken, and Trumansburg, recently featured in "Railroad Model Craftsman" magazine. Also there is still a high LV Bridge across the Trumansburg Creek Gorge, you can drive right under it. From there, Taughannock is 5 minutes away. The more I think about it, maybe we should do the Trumansburg ride first, since hiking around Sampson could be a problem for a few of the guys. Then if there's time, on the way back we could hit Sampson if we wanted, them go to Gil Mack's to end the day. Charlie, you could ride with me if you want, since I plan on going to Gil Mack's too. Matt, and Mark, you could too, if you don't have to leave too soon. Mostly I think we'll hash it out that day. It should be Fun!

Bob

« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2013, 10:37pm by Kendaia1 » Logged
TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #490 on: Mar 25th, 2013, 11:20pm »

Do not mean to throw a wet blanket on the Sampson side trip, but at present one would be hard pressed to find many tracks on the old base unless one knew exactly where to look. Even with the lack of foliage in early April there would be a lot of bushwhacking through dense brush to locate what remains.

Was last at Sampson in the fall of 2010. At the time some tracks at the throat of the old troop train spurs remained as well as some switches. That was about all I found but I did not look too enthusiastically account the heavy brush and thorns of the wild rose plants. Of interest are the remains of the old asphalt troop train loading platforms still showing some yellow stripes.

Haven't been over there since the 1990s, but on the south end of the park were remains of a huge coal pile and faint remnants of where the LVRR steam locos were serviced on the base between trips.  

There may well be tracks extant in the warehouse area but that is off limits to park visitors and surrounded by a high chain link fence.  

Was first on Sampson in 1973. At the time portions of a few structures remained as well as virtually all the tracks. Even the base locomotive shed still stood back then. The bumper post on the troop train spurs remained and steam lines still lay along the tracks there. All of this is gone.

Some of the spur into the base off the LVRR east of NYS Rt. 96A remains, but not much.  

Good luck hunting if you decide to go.

PJT

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #491 on: Mar 26th, 2013, 12:23am »

Paul, thanks for the input, I have thinking about asking you about Sampson since I know you've been back there somewhat recently. What was the best way to get to the tracks? did you park along the main entrance at the former RR Crossing and follow northward from there? Or maybe take the first right at the traffic circle, and go north to where the troop track spurs ended, in the area where the split in the road comes together (Nimitz Rd. on Bing Maps)? It looks accessible on Bing Maps, but I'm sure it's mighty brushy in there. I'm not sure which spur had the troop platforms. Thanks again, and too bad you can't join us; it seems we are going to have a very nice turnout this year.

Bob

BTW, upon another look, it appears that, east of Rt. 96A, the tracks continue to, and include, the wye to the LVRR main, except the main switches into the wye, which are long gone. It also appears there are plenty of tracks and switches in the throat to the troop tracks, as you said.

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2013, 1:06am by Kendaia1 » Logged
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #492 on: Mar 26th, 2013, 8:19am »

Quote:
Some of the spur into the base off the LVRR east of NYS Rt. 96A remains, but not much.

Here is a shot of the spur looking eastward from 96A.......took this shot a couple years back.

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2013, 8:20am by Charlie Ricker » Logged

~Charlie Ricker

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #493 on: Mar 26th, 2013, 8:27am »

Hey Bob,

I also would like to see Trumansburg...........especially after reading that article in RMC. I still can't get over what a great job was done on that layout--eventually I would like to see that layout for myself.

Thanks for the offer to ride along with you, I will likely take you up on that offer.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #494 on: Mar 26th, 2013, 7:47pm »

Bob, I can see your point about hiking at Sampson. I agree that we should head to Trumansburg first, and make Sampson an option for later.  my schedule for the evening is still hazy at this point, but I should be good for the meet-up until 4 PM.  

To the Bednar brothers, thanks for joining us!

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

My_Scans487_794x547.jpg - 81711 Bytes
« Reply #495 on: Mar 26th, 2013, 10:36pm »

K.......1:

The best way to the track remains on Sampson is via the Nimitz Road route you mention above. Park where the troop train track bumper posts were then follow the track bed back out towards the lead where there still should be some rail and switches remaining.

Follows are some photos taken at Sampson on 04 October 2010.  

The first is of the asphalt troop train platform remains.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/My_Scans487_794x547.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

My_Scans488_745x508.jpg - 73603 Bytes
« Reply #496 on: Mar 26th, 2013, 10:46pm »

This photo is of the troop train track remains where they came off the lead.

There were four tracks dedicated to troop train use at Samson NTS and a total of 9.2 miles of track on the base.

One building near the troop train tracks was a bunk house where LVRR crews could get their rest.  

During the height of WWII, there were up to 3 troop trains a day in and out of Sampson.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/My_Scans488_745x508.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

My_Scans489_757x543.jpg - 72991 Bytes
« Reply #497 on: Mar 26th, 2013, 10:53pm »

This photo is of the remains of the wye switch that is on the Sampson spur east of NYS Rt. 96A.  

Both legs of this wye are now gone.

There was another wye west of NYS Rt. 96A but this was removed long ago.

Good hunting.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/My_Scans489_757x543.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2013, 10:55pm by TB_Diamond » Logged

DElder
Chaser

« Reply #498 on: Mar 26th, 2013, 11:05pm »

Hey guys:
Steve Peck is a friend from way back, and he's usually pretty open to showing his recreation of Trumansburg (featured in the recent RMC); and, he's located in Trumansburg.  If a decision is made to make the trek down there from Geneva, and if there's interest, I could forward an inquiry to see if he might be available and open to showing the railroad to the group.  Let me know ASAP, please.  (Would also be good if I had some idea of how big a group that you're anticipating, and a likely ETA, before I contact Steve.)

I've followed his progress on the T-burg project since I first started making an annual summer trip back east about 6 years ago, and I can vouch that the railroad looks better in person than in the pictures.  Steve is an incredibly talented craftsman.

You guys would have to promise that you'd be on your best behavior....no drooling all over Steve's fine work, right??  
   Doug Elder

DElder
Chaser

« Reply #499 on: Mar 26th, 2013, 11:36pm »

By the way, you guys are just killin' me on this thing.....Geneva depot tour, Keith and Danny, evening at Gil's, etc. etc.  Jeez, if I didn't have another event that weekend to attend out here in the snowy midwest (and if you guys could have strong-armed TB into agreeing to show up too!), I'd absolutely be on a plane headed back that way to join in!

Hope you have great weather and a great turnout!
   Doug  

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »