Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 24th, 2017, 11:25am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rochester meet-up
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Rochester meet-up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rochester meet-up  (Read 15884 times)
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Rochester meet-up

« Reply #460 on: Mar 8th, 2013, 8:30pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Oh BTW, since Firstbelt is going to bring photos this year, I will also bring my photo album.  I didn't taken any of the shots, though... since I was just 7 years old on C-Day.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #461 on: Mar 9th, 2013, 10:13am »

Something has come up with me, and I will only be able to do the first part of the tour this year..I can do Geneva, but then I will have to skip out on you guys..
so the rest of the day is up to the rest of you!

Scot

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #462 on: Mar 9th, 2013, 11:02am »

No prob, Scot--glad you'll still be able to do Geneva

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

firstbelt
Historian
  100_0770-2009-4_Tiger_Valley_RS3M.jpg - 136571 Bytes
« Reply #463 on: Mar 16th, 2013, 11:15pm »

Just talked with my friend, who says he's not making it for the outing.  He received notice of Gil Mack's "Lehigh Night:" model railroad open house at 6 PM, slides and movie show at 8 PM.
Depending on when you guys plan to get started, I could probably hang in for the open house.  I'm curious what you plan to take in around Geneva.  I'm aware of the passenger station, mainline signal bridge along route 5, and Geneva Junction.  There is a bit of right-of-way, bridges, and stations along the former route to Van Etten.  A bit more over around Trumansburg, including bridges and ROW around Taughannock Falls state park.

Looks like the LV museum at Shortsville doesn't open until May or June.
If you're making a day of it, Ithaca is about 2 hours one-way from Rochester.

Send me a PM or something on when you plan to start out and where you plan to meet.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/100_0770-2009-4_Tiger_Valley_RS3M.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #464 on: Mar 18th, 2013, 8:29pm »

on Mar 9th, 2013, 10:13am, scottychaos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Something has come up with me, and I will only be able to do the first part of the tour this year..I can do Geneva, but then I will have to skip out on you guys..
so the rest of the day is up to the rest of you!

Scot

Scot, I understand.  Do we have access to the station and FGLK?  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #465 on: Mar 20th, 2013, 1:17pm »

I spoke this morning with the wife of the owner of the Geneva LVRR Station about our tour of Geneva. She said he loves to take people through the Station. He was unavailable when I spoke to her, but hopefully will contact him tonight to make arrangements for a station tour. I think that would be a great place to start the day and will tell him we will be there at 10 am. Is that agreeable to everyone? I'll keep you posted once details are final. I don't know about you guys but I think a station tour would be outstanding!!!

Bob

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #466 on: Mar 20th, 2013, 2:02pm »

Great idea and I would love to see this station!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #467 on: Mar 20th, 2013, 4:21pm »

Sounds great! Does everyone just want to eet there at 10:00? I'm pretty sure thats going to be just about all I can do that day as well, some stuff has come up, and my feet are still not better.

Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #468 on: Mar 20th, 2013, 6:29pm »

I just got off the phone with the owner of the LV Station, and we've got the Green light for a tour at 10 am Saturday, April 6th. Please pull in and park right up on the Station Platform. This is a great opportunity for a tour of  an historic building; hopefully we can get some more people to take advantage of this opportunity! As for the "USUAL" gang, I'm looking forward to seeing you all there!

Bob

rgvrr
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #469 on: Mar 20th, 2013, 7:45pm »

OK, now that we have a start time, where should we meet for Breakfast? I can be in Geneva by 0800 so we have tme to BS

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #470 on: Mar 20th, 2013, 7:53pm »

Hey Fellas, I can also be there by 8:00 AM--I like the idea of BS over coffee!

Thanks very much Bob!!

Charlie

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2013, 9:51pm by Charlie Ricker » Logged

~Charlie Ricker

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #471 on: Mar 20th, 2013, 7:55pm »

Excellent! Both the 8 AM breakfast meet and the 10 AM station meet work for me. After the station, where shall we go? And where should we meet for breakfast?

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2013, 7:55pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

ken_g
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #472 on: Mar 20th, 2013, 9:46pm »

Thanks for setting that up, Bob!

Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #473 on: Mar 21st, 2013, 2:22am »

I think a good place to meet would be the Water St. Cafe. It's a Mom and Pop restaurant in Downtown Geneva, at 467 Exchange St. (Not Water St., beat's me). It's a straight shot south from exit 42; NY Rt. 14 becomes Exchange St. Parking is on the street. We can have some Coffee and Vittles if you like, then the LV Station is a 5 minute ride from there.  

Scottychaos, did you make your contact with FGLK yet?

Also, there is the LV Freight Station, Geneva Jct and the Signal Bridge, the old LV Yard. and the Toboggan Track, which would be neat to explore if the Jungle isn't too thick.  

Also there's the Seneca Falls Branch, starting across from Geneva Jct., which is now a nice trail, not unlike the trail at Rochester Jct. . Currently completed to Waterloo, featuring several re-decked wooden LV Bridges, one quite long crossing Kendigs Creek. If you plan on attending Gil Mack's Lehigh night (I do) and think we need to fill time, a bike ride from Geneva Jct to Kendigs Creek and back would be great, if anyone's interested in that.  

Otherwise, There is Sampson, where tracks are still in place- TB Diamond has posted pics from there in the past. We could see Trumansburg (Station Site featured in Railroad Model Craftsman, and Bridge) and Taughannock Falls (Trail over gorge is actual LVRR Bridge- very easy walk), about 35-40 minutes from Geneva. It all depends what the gang wants to do and how much time we have. I always set aside the whole day and would be happy to show you guys around, this area is my stomping grounds!

Bob  

BlackDiamondRR
Historian

« Reply #474 on: Mar 21st, 2013, 8:43am »

While I cannot make the trip this year, seeing as you all are going to be in Geneva, you might look up Lake Cities Hobby shop. The owner is an LV fan and carries some LV items in addition to just HO trains. I am not sure of his exact location as he moved form his original spot, but I believe he is still in the downtown area.
     Bud

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #475 on: Mar 21st, 2013, 6:08pm »

Bud, Jimmy is a few doors down to the left of his old store, Right on the corner. I have bought alot of HO Lehigh Valley stuff from him, but have found a new store in Webster that has alot more, and I guess he and Jimmy grew up together and still hang out!

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #476 on: Mar 21st, 2013, 6:41pm »

Bob, thanks for setting up the station tour! excellent!

No, I havent heard back from my contact at FGLK..
I will send out a follow-up email right now..

As long as someone is at the office (which I think there usually is on Saturdays) we shouldnt have any problems checking out the FGLK engine house area, even if I dont formally hear back..(but I will still attempt to make contact, since its the right thing to do..)

but either way, im not too concerned about it..

I like the idea of an early meet..I can be to the resturant by 9am! (probably not 8:00!
Station at 10:00..then FGLK yard..definately need to check out the LV signal bridge..

after that, I will probably have to leave, so im out of the loop after that!
we mentioned the PRR water tower..Auburn was thrown out as an idea..
its up to you guys!

Scot

« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2013, 6:41pm by scottychaos » Logged
BlackDiamondRR
Historian

« Reply #477 on: Mar 21st, 2013, 8:42pm »

on Mar 21st, 2013, 6:08pm, mtcg16 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Bud, Jimmy is a few doors down to the left of his old store, Right on the corner. I have bought alot of HO Lehigh Valley stuff from him, but have found a new store in Webster that has alot more, and I guess he and Jimmy grew up together and still hang out!

mtcg......What hobby shop in Webster? My niece lives there, I'll have to check it out this summer. I've been to Despatch Junction in East Rochester a few times, but was unaware of anything in Webster.  Yes, Jim Greco is a good guy, I usually see him at the Batavia train shows.
     Bud

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #478 on: Mar 22nd, 2013, 6:25am »

It's called Empire Trains, looks real small from the outside, on the left of Main street, Nice place.

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #479 on: Mar 22nd, 2013, 8:55am »

on Mar 22nd, 2013, 6:25am, mtcg16 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It's called Empire Trains, looks real small from the outside, on the left of Main street, Nice place.

Yes.......Tim and Beth are first-class friendly people.

Amazing the selection they have on hand of LV items. I recommend them as well.

Nice availability of books too!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »