Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 12:46am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rochester meet-up
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Rochester meet-up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rochester meet-up  (Read 16281 times)
ken_g
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: Rochester meet-up

« Reply #440 on: Feb 25th, 2013, 7:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

That PRR line is interesting.  I suggest making that a day unto itself, especially if anyone is up for walking.  In addition to the water tower:

- LV mainline bridge abutments where it went over the PRR
- remains of a signal
- several bridges
- (buried) bridge over R&E, w/ 2 concrete poles close to PRR
- accident site- there is what appears to be an engine access door that has been grown into a tree (I'll find a picture, it's neat.)  Have climbed all over looking for other artifacts but have found none.
- Stanley Junction (w/Lehigh Naples branch) not much to see, but there are traces of both rr's
- Gorham is close to Stanley- has a Lehigh station and bridge abutments

I get out there at least once a year as it is- if the area doesn't become part of the 4/6 agenda, maybe plan a separate visit?

BTW, last year we stopped in at a garage sale near Phelps.  Wouldn't you know they had lived across from the tower, and recall the accident?

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #441 on: Feb 25th, 2013, 7:52pm »

That would work for me as well.......meaning a separate event. We can discuss that in addition to the LV meet-up. I'm game for any.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #442 on: Feb 25th, 2013, 8:08pm »

on Feb 24th, 2013, 8:16pm, scottychaos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Matt,
yeah, there is probably nothing new to see at Manchester or Rochester Junction..
so we should probably talk about if we want to skip them or not..

I guess it depends on if we have anyone new this year, who has never been to either place, or hasn't been in a long time and specifically would like to visit them.
Do we have anyone new coming from far away lands?  who wouldn't have an opportunity to visit these places often and would specifically like to visit them on this trip?  

Or if its just going to the "local regulars" we can probably skip them this year..
We can either work out an itinerary here in the forum, or just figure it out on the day of the trip! that would work too..im fine with anything!

Here is a thought..just "throwing it out there" as another possible option.
If we did decide to skip Rochester Junction and Manchester this year, we could always do Geneva and Auburn!  

discuss.  

Scot

I kinda like doing Geneva and Auburn, since we (the "regulars") have already done Manchester and Rochester Jct. Knowing the starting point is crucial for me, since I don't have a cell phone. Are there any "newbies" who really want to see Rochester Jct or Manchester? If not, I think we should head east...  

BTW, the Buffalo area could be really good next year because I've gotten reports of an LV-themed display being planned for the Williamsville depot .

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #443 on: Feb 25th, 2013, 9:04pm »

on Feb 25th, 2013, 10:50am, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I repeat, the water tank is located at Orleans, NY, MP 6.6 on the PRR Northern Region Sodus Bay Secondary Track.

The PRR did not pass through Phelps, NY.  

It did, however, pass through Phelps Jct., MP 10.5 on the Secondary. Phelps Jct. was compass west of the village of Phelps.  

There was no water tank at Phelps Jct.

thanks for the correction!  
Clearly I confused "Town of Phelps" (where the water tank is located)
with "Phelps" (where it is not)
(most people would consider "Phelps, NY" to be the Village)
good to know!
Scot

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #444 on: Feb 25th, 2013, 9:09pm »

Heh..its funny, when you have been on the internet as long as I have (circa 1996) you often find things you posted that you have no memory of!

So just now I did a google search for the Orleans NY water tank, looking to see if maybe  I could find a photo of the tank back when trains still ran next to it..didnt find that, but I found another recent-ish photo of it:

huh..look at that..at some point I labeled some of those with "Orleans" instead of Phelps!
apparently we have had this same conversation before!
and I completely forgot about it..
bizarre..

Scot

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2013, 9:09pm by scottychaos » Logged
TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #445 on: Feb 26th, 2013, 2:28pm »

Account prior commitment, will be unable to attend.

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #446 on: Feb 26th, 2013, 4:42pm »

on Feb 26th, 2013, 2:28pm, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Account prior commitment, will be unable to attend.
Thats OK TB, you are always with us by putting up and sharing your knowledge and pictures with us. Looking forward to more of our area when You have time, I will be posting some when I get them from the gentleman who worked at RJ, and was with the fire department when the station burned down.  

firstbelt
Historian

« Reply #447 on: Feb 28th, 2013, 5:59pm »

on Feb 24th, 2013, 2:29pm, scottychaos wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Bob, you (and anyone) are certainty welcome!
Does anyone know Gil Mack personally (I have never met him) and can ask him he minds if we stop by? Bob, what time does he usually start his open house?
We could plan the other "stops" around his open house timeframe..
Scot

I checked with my friend, who says Gil usually sends a letter out prior to his open house and Lehigh night.  He has been doing this since the late '70s, to mourn the end of the Lehigh.  Anyone who knows about it is pretty much welcome to drop in, though I wouldn't show up early for the open house.
My friend says model railroad open house starts around 6 PM, followed by movies and slides (around 8 PM?).  I swear I stopped by several years ago in the late afternoon.  Gil's friend showed movies he took at Geneva Junction in the 60's or 70's, mainline action.  Supposedly, attendees are welcome to show video or slides, but it means staying up until the wee hours, after midnight.

Any consideration of visiting the LV Historical group in Shortsville?  I hear TB donated a large picture of a Lehigh Alco PA.  Someone would probably need to arrange for a visit, as April would be before summer visiting hours start.

Bob

ken_g
TRAINing
View Profile  

120916_crash_site_door_front_1632x1224.jpg - 300883 Bytes
« Reply #448 on: Feb 28th, 2013, 9:27pm »

Here is the door at the 1964 crash site on the Pennsy mentioned earlier.  The tree grew into it and gradually lifted it from the ground.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (300883 bytes, 1632x1224 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 120916_crash_site_door_front_1632x1224.jpg - 300883 Bytes

ken_g
TRAINing
View Profile  

120916_marker_1224x1632.jpg - 482266 Bytes
« Reply #449 on: Feb 28th, 2013, 9:29pm »

This is the marker at the crash site.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (482266 bytes, 1224x1632 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 120916_marker_1224x1632.jpg - 482266 Bytes

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #450 on: Feb 28th, 2013, 11:49pm »

on Feb 28th, 2013, 9:27pm, ken_g wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here is the door at the 1964 crash site on the Pennsy mentioned earlier.  The tree grew into it and gradually lifted it from the ground.
I may be proven wrong,but I don't think that door is from a locomotive.Louvers always face down,so that door handle would be on the bottom/middle of the door.Stupid place for it to be on a locomotive.Also,nearly every locomotive door handle I've seen was flush mounted,not sticking out.If you look at the crease just to the left of the tree,you can see what looks to be faint handpainted yellow letters,looks like "MB".. I think it's from a bus or something like that..

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
ken_g
TRAINing
View Profile  

Lehigh_Valley_track_map_Auburn_1917_sm.jpg - 551844 Bytes
« Reply #451 on: Mar 1st, 2013, 7:52am »

Good point Lou!  It's also strange that the door is the only artifact in the area, fairly close to the ROW.  A bit far from the road to be carried in, it's a mystery to me.

JoeS posted a pdf of the accident report on railroad.net: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=66258

Back on topic, if Auburn is in play, here is a map of the area by the roundhouse.  Full size: http://promusicnet.com/Lehigh_Valley/Lehigh_Valley_track_map_Auburn_1917.jpg

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (551844 bytes, 5409x2113 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Lehigh_Valley_track_map_Auburn_1917_sm.jpg - 551844 Bytes

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #452 on: Mar 1st, 2013, 10:02am »

There's a million ways that coulda got there.Tornado?..LOL! Really,it could be from equipment that cleared up the wreck,it could be something that was in a gon full of scrap left from the wreck,or just blew out of the gon as a train went by,Alien invasion,ETC..I'm pretty sure it's not a piece from a loco,though..

Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #453 on: Mar 1st, 2013, 6:51pm »

on Feb 28th, 2013, 5:59pm, firstbelt wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I checked with my friend, who says Gil usually sends a letter out prior to his open house and Lehigh night.  He has been doing this since the late '70s, to mourn the end of the Lehigh.  Anyone who knows about it is pretty much welcome to drop in, though I wouldn't show up early for the open house.
My friend says model railroad open house starts around 6 PM, followed by movies and slides (around 8 PM?).  I swear I stopped by several years ago in the late afternoon.  Gil's friend showed movies he took at Geneva Junction in the 60's or 70's, mainline action.  Supposedly, attendees are welcome to show video or slides, but it means staying up until the wee hours, after midnight.

Any consideration of visiting the LV Historical group in Shortsville?  I hear TB donated a large picture of a Lehigh Alco PA.  Someone would probably need to arrange for a visit, as April would be before summer visiting hours start.

Bob

After hiking around Geneva I'd be all for checking out Gil Mack"s if we could find out exactly where it is.  The LV Museum in Shortsville would be good too.  I think it's going to be a full day!

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #454 on: Mar 1st, 2013, 7:13pm »

I think for sure we need to find out if it would be OK to stop by Gil's house and see his layout and Pictures, like I said, I really want to be a part of this, but due to the nerve damage in my feet, alot of walking is not an option for me at this point.

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #455 on: Mar 1st, 2013, 11:58pm »

on Mar 1st, 2013, 7:13pm, mtcg16 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I think for sure we need to find out if it would be OK to stop by Gil's house and see his layout and Pictures, like I said, I really want to be a part of this, but due to the nerve damage in my feet, alot of walking is not an option for me at this point.

Same here..I'm a mess.Going Tuesday to get ultrasound on my Gallbladder,nerve damage in both feet,knees are shot from working on concrete for 40 years..I can walk pretty far,but not very fast,LOL!!

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #456 on: Mar 2nd, 2013, 3:36pm »

on Mar 1st, 2013, 11:58pm, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Same here..I'm a mess.Going Tuesday to get ultrasound on my Gallbladder,nerve damage in both feet,knees are shot from working on concrete for 40 years..I can walk pretty far,but not very fast,LOL!!

Good luck with the gall bladder, Lou. I know quite a few folks who felt a whole lot better after they had them removed. They can be evil damned things! Same here with my back/neck--was after many years of working on concrete floors as a machinist. We're a great group of "walking-wounded", aren't we? :-P

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #457 on: Mar 2nd, 2013, 7:44pm »

on Mar 2nd, 2013, 3:36pm, Charlie Ricker wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Good luck with the gall bladder, Lou. I know quite a few folks who felt a whole lot better after they had them removed. They can be evil damned things! Same here with my back/neck--was after many years of working on concrete floors as a machinist. We're a great group of "walking-wounded", aren't we? :-P

Charlie
Charlie,I'm gonna be 57 Wednesday.Had severe stomach problems since '82.[Water parasites from the public water system,got ut from drinking gallons of contaminated water racing bicycles.] Been working in garages,body shops,and print shops for 0ver 40 years,been a motor builder/Harley builder/motor & custom part machinist & welder for the last 30 of that..And I'm a pretty big guy..My doctor looked at my knees yesterday,said they"sounded like a rusty old car door.."

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #458 on: Mar 2nd, 2013, 8:43pm »

You have definitely been a busy guy and Happy Birthday Wednesday!

So you think there's a chance you'll be able to head North for our get-together?

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #459 on: Mar 3rd, 2013, 9:48pm »

on Mar 2nd, 2013, 8:43pm, Charlie Ricker wrote:       (Click here for original message)
You have definitely been a busy guy and Happy Birthday Wednesday!

So you think there's a chance you'll be able to head North for our get-together?

Charlie
No idea..May be recovering from surgery,LOL!![Well,not really LOL,but,what can I do..]

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »