Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 17th, 2017, 7:56am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rochester meet-up
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Rochester meet-up
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rochester meet-up  (Read 16267 times)
DElder
Chaser
Re: Rochester meet-up

« Reply #420 on: Feb 18th, 2013, 11:46pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Charlie:
Would love to make it back for the get-together this year (particularly with Geneva being the focus!), but as of right now I'm scheduled for a model railroad operations weekend down in Belle Vista AR that weekend (very close to Springdale and the A&M, home to about a half-dozen ex-Lehigh Alco C420s that operate in freight service daily....you can bet that we'll be spending some time chasing those while down that way!).  May see about making a switch with someone on the waiting list for the AR event though.....would really enjoy the chance to meet everyone that I see contributing here regularly, and to do some "serious" (??) trapsing around the old LV.  

Now if you guys could get TB to commit to attending (and Keith too!), that'd definitely seal the deal for me... how could I possibly NOT show up then ??
   Doug

alsorailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #421 on: Feb 21st, 2013, 9:57am »

Assuming Sat. 4/6 is going to be the meet up date, I'm going to put in for the day off but like last year, I'm not holding my breath especially this year with manpower shortages. One can only but hope...........

Chris

P.S. Matt, would like your txt contact if possible as the trend is now, I won't even know if my time off will be approved until Friday night the 5th. This way I can txt you as to whether I'd be coming or not. There has been cases lately where someone had time off approved only to have it rescinded......

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #422 on: Feb 21st, 2013, 10:15pm »

I'd certainly like to come,but won't know if I can make it until a few days before.I have a lot of goofy family any business problems going on,no idea what's up from day to day,and I have bad stomach problems that don't help...Let's just say I PLAN to be there..

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2013, 10:16pm by LV LOU » Logged

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #423 on: Feb 22nd, 2013, 7:29pm »

Thanx for the replies, guys! Chris, I don't have a smart phone, so just send me a private message or simply post in this thread to let me know your status.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
firstbelt
Historian

« Reply #424 on: Feb 23rd, 2013, 1:36pm »

I'm thinking of joining you guys.  If you would, let me know when and where you're meeting.  I'm going to try to bring along my friend who grew up in Geneva and is a Lehigh Valley fan.  He has given me several guided tours of Manchester and Geneva.
I'll bring along a photo album or two.  Back in 1970, a friend's dad drove us to Geneva Junction right after a big derailment.  We got to watch a bit of the cleanup and a few freights moving through behind "snowbirds."

I've mentioned Gil Mack's Tiger Valley Lines near Oaks Corners, northwest of Geneva along the FGLK line to Shortsville.  You picked the day he normally hosts an afternoon open house and an evening Lehigh Valley photo fest.  If you load up a satellite view of Oaks Corners, look just on the west side of the quarry along County Rd 23.  If you find his driveway, he has an LV signal illuminated so you can see it on the approach to his house.

It might make for a long day, but even a visit to his HO layout open house would be worth the time.

Bob

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #425 on: Feb 23rd, 2013, 8:44pm »

Not sure if I can make it yet or not. I sure you will all have a good time as we did last year. Just remember if I don't make it, I will be thinking of all you nuts!!! Ha Ha  Keith

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #426 on: Feb 24th, 2013, 7:41am »

on Feb 23rd, 2013, 1:36pm, firstbelt wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm thinking of joining you guys.  If you would, let me know when and where you're meeting.  I'm going to try to bring along my friend who grew up in Geneva and is a Lehigh Valley fan.  He has given me several guided tours of Manchester and Geneva.
I'll bring along a photo album or two.  Back in 1970, a friend's dad drove us to Geneva Junction right after a big derailment.  We got to watch a bit of the cleanup and a few freights moving through behind "snowbirds."

I've mentioned Gil Mack's Tiger Valley Lines near Oaks Corners, northwest of Geneva along the FGLK line to Shortsville.  You picked the day he normally hosts an afternoon open house and an evening Lehigh Valley photo fest.  If you load up a satellite view of Oaks Corners, look just on the west side of the quarry along County Rd 23.  If you find his driveway, he has an LV signal illuminated so you can see it on the approach to his house.

It might make for a long day, but even a visit to his HO layout open house would be worth the time.

Bob

Bob, We would love to have you join us!! I am working on an HO layout that will be all Lehigh Valley theme, won't be ready for show this year, but will be by next year. I would love to see Gil's layout, have heard alot about it. Would also love to see his and your pictures. Have you posted any of yours here?? I'm always looking for more of the Geneva, Manchester, Rochester Junction and points west. I met a guy who has quite a few of the Rochester Junction, Mendon, Honeoye falls area and he has been sending them for me to post, waiting on a new batch from him now. It will be nice to meet You and any other Fellow LV fan!

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #427 on: Feb 24th, 2013, 2:29pm »

on Feb 23rd, 2013, 1:36pm, firstbelt wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Bob

Bob, you (and anyone) are certainty welcome!

I was thinking of starting first in Geneva, and then working West..
but perhaps we should start West and work East then?

Last year we met in Victor..we could probably keep that plan..
then Rochester Junction, Manchester, and Geneva..
then finish with a visit to Gil's place? that will probably fill up the whole day..
(Do we still want to do Rochester junction again this year?)

Does anyone know Gil Mack personally (I have never met him) and can ask him he minds if we stop by? Bob, what time does he usually start his open house?
We could plan the other "stops" around his open house timeframe..

I havent heard back from my contact about Geneva..but im not worried about it..
visiting FGLK shouldnt be a problem, we should still be able to sign a release at the office, even if I don't hear back..So I think either way Geneva should be fine..

I was also thinking of visiting the cool PRR Elmira Branch water tower! we havent done that before..

Scot

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #428 on: Feb 24th, 2013, 7:36pm »

Scot, I like your plan. I think that working east from Victor is a good idea. Just one question- is there anything new to see at Manchester? Don't get me wrong- I've love the roundhouse. However, we may want to skip it if there's nothing new to see there, because it looks like we'll have a very long day.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #429 on: Feb 24th, 2013, 8:16pm »

Matt,
yeah, there is probably nothing new to see at Manchester or Rochester Junction..
so we should probably talk about if we want to skip them or not..

I guess it depends on if we have anyone new this year, who has never been to either place, or hasn't been in a long time and specifically would like to visit them.
Do we have anyone new coming from far away lands?  who wouldn't have an opportunity to visit these places often and would specifically like to visit them on this trip?  

Or if its just going to the "local regulars" we can probably skip them this year..
We can either work out an itinerary here in the forum, or just figure it out on the day of the trip! that would work too..im fine with anything!

Here is a thought..just "throwing it out there" as another possible option.
If we did decide to skip Rochester Junction and Manchester this year, we could always do Geneva and Auburn!  

discuss.  

Scot

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #430 on: Feb 24th, 2013, 8:30pm »

I would really be up for maybe Manchester, the HO layout open House and Geneva. Don't know if you all know, but I injured both my feet at work and have severe nerve damage, so alot of walking might not work to good for me at this point. Anyhow, let me know what you want to do! Look forward to seeing you all.

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #431 on: Feb 24th, 2013, 9:05pm »

I'm game for anything. Mark, I can feel your "pain" literally and figuratively, except the spine is my problem! I sure hope you feel better! 

I plan to make an entire day for this so I can go with the flow.

Scot, I would also be interested in seeing the water tower on the ex-PRR. Is this at Sodus Point?

Charlie

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2013, 9:05pm by Charlie Ricker » Logged

~Charlie Ricker

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #432 on: Feb 24th, 2013, 10:10pm »

Orleans

Scott:

Kindly excuse the butt-in.

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #433 on: Feb 24th, 2013, 10:11pm »

Charlie,
no, not at Sodus..its in Phelps!  
not "out of the way" at all, for this trip..

Scot

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #434 on: Feb 25th, 2013, 9:49am »

Oh wow.........thanks fellas! I seriously didn't think a water tower like this existed today!  

Yeah, that's a "must-see!"

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #435 on: Feb 25th, 2013, 10:50am »

I repeat, the water tank is located at Orleans, NY, MP 6.6 on the PRR Northern Region Sodus Bay Secondary Track.

The PRR did not pass through Phelps, NY.  

It did, however, pass through Phelps Jct., MP 10.5 on the Secondary. Phelps Jct. was compass west of the village of Phelps.  

There was no water tank at Phelps Jct.

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #436 on: Feb 25th, 2013, 12:40pm »

Thank you Paul.......information is greatly appreciated.

I believe there was a nasty wreck at Orleans on this line at one point?

I will make it a point to also photograph this for my own record.

Charlie

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2013, 12:41pm by Charlie Ricker » Logged

~Charlie Ricker

Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #437 on: Feb 25th, 2013, 5:22pm »

The old PRR Water Tower IS located in the Hamlet of Orleans, which IS located in the Town of Phelps. So while Phelps wouldn't technically be a wrong answer, the tower IS in Orleans proper, which is not near Phelps Village.  

That old tower still exists due to the fact that it is tied into the water system for the Hamlet of Orleans.  

There WAS an accident here in 1964. Here is a link to the DOT report about it:  
  http://ntl1.specialcollection.net/scripts/ws.dll?websearch&site=dot_railroads  Be sure to click the links partway down to see pics and a diagram of the scene!

As for the Geneva Get-together this April, I am trying to track down (no pun intended) the owner of the Geneva Lehigh Valley Passenger Station to see if maybe we could get access to the building. maybe a tour, of at least permission to walk around the property taking pictures without ruffling anyone's feathers.

Looking forward to seeing everyone, and hopefully some new faces come too! Disappointed, though, that Keith won't be coming... thought He would go diving in the Canal at Geneva Junction looking for artifacts!

Bob

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2013, 5:44pm by Kendaia1 » Logged
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #438 on: Feb 25th, 2013, 6:54pm »

LOL.........I was thinking the same thing, Bob. Heck, I was planning on bringing the swim trunks and a beach towel!

Thanks for that info on the 1964 PRR wreck. I remember reading this some years back, and it's good to have a refresher.  

It will be great to see everyone and meet the new-comers this time around.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #439 on: Feb 25th, 2013, 6:59pm »

Wandering a bit from the subject, but I was told many years ago that rail car parts remain along Flint Creek at the accident site.  

Was recently related that a plaque has been placed at the accident location.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »