Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 26th, 2017, 6:35pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rochester meet-up
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh Valley
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, pontiac59, Charlie Ricker, LehighValley107)
   Rochester meet-up
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rochester meet-up  (Read 16151 times)
rgvrr
Enthusiast
View Profile  

Re: Rochester meet-up

« Reply #40 on: Mar 8th, 2011, 8:17am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Scot & all,

I am in.  

here are some thoughts....
1. LV bridge over Auburn Branch of NYC in Fishers.
2. Rochester Junction
3. Genesee River Bridge
4. RGVRRM RS3m 211

Bring good walking shoes, lot of ground to cover....

John Stewart

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Mar 8th, 2011, 12:17pm »

on Mar 8th, 2011, 8:17am, rgvrr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Scot & all,

I am in.  

here are some thoughts....
1. LV bridge over Auburn Branch of NYC in Fishers.
2. Rochester Junction
3. Genesee River Bridge
4. RGVRRM RS3m 211

Bring good walking shoes, lot of ground to cover....

John Stewart

Cool, thanks John!
(John is getting us access to LV 211!   She is offically on the tour now.)

Here is what I would suggest..open to debate!

1. Meet at Rochester Junction.
2. Over to Manchester.
3. Genesee River Bridge.
4. RGVRRM and LV 211.

Thats going to take up most of the day right there!
If there is still time, and if people are still interested, maybe end the tour with a trip up to downtown Rochester, High Falls, and Dinosaur BBQ. (LV passenger station.) I probably wont have time to do dinner at the Dinosaur, but some people might be into that..

Unfortunately Manchester roundhouse is a bit out of the way, compared to the rest of the tour (about 30 minutes east of the Junction) but if some people are coming from farther away, and have never seen it, IMO it should be on the list..its days are numbured.

thoughts?
Scot

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Mar 8th, 2011, 12:51pm »

Please just let me know a day and time when you all know!

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Mar 8th, 2011, 8:55pm »

on Mar 8th, 2011, 12:17pm, scottychaos wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Cool, thanks John!
(John is getting us access to LV 211!   She is offically on the tour now.)

Here is what I would suggest..open to debate!

1. Meet at Rochester Junction.
2. Over to Manchester.
3. Genesee River Bridge.
4. RGVRRM and LV 211.

Thats going to take up most of the day right there!
If there is still time, and if people are still interested, maybe end the tour with a trip up to downtown Rochester, High Falls, and Dinosaur BBQ. (LV passenger station.) I probably wont have time to do dinner at the Dinosaur, but some people might be into that..

Unfortunately Manchester roundhouse is a bit out of the way, compared to the rest of the tour (about 30 minutes east of the Junction) but if some people are coming from farther away, and have never seen it, IMO it should be on the list..its days are numbured.

thoughts?
Scot

Scot, this is the perfect plan. I would suggest that (as previously discussed) we meet at Rochester Junction at 10 AM on Sat 4/2.  

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Mar 9th, 2011, 12:26am »

How much will it be to get in the musem that day to see the 211? Adult and kids prices?

rgvrr
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #45 on: Mar 9th, 2011, 8:41am »

The RGVRRM where 211 is located is actually closed for the season. Normal operating days are Sundays.  

So, we will meet at the Industry depot parking lot, and you can get the FREE tour of depot and building. Now, you are welcome to drop a donation in the box.

Since there is a lot of ground to cover I would suggest that peopel bring lunch with them.

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #46 on: Mar 9th, 2011, 10:30am »

One item you folks should keep in mind is that the trek East River Road (parking area)-Genesee River and back would be close to four miles.

The last I knew the shorter route, Scottsville Road-Genesee River, was all on private property and was not the easiest of hikes plus there was no parking area along Scottville Road.

Possibly things have changed, however as it has been almost five years since I was in that area.

Look homeward, angel- Thomas Wolfe
rgvrr
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #47 on: Mar 9th, 2011, 11:45am »

I agree with that hike,,, pretty far. Also pretty far going south from route 251 on the former PRR ROW, especially if weather is bad.

Now, if you were on a bike you could easily cover the Genesee River Bridge to Rochester Junction, and on to the LV bridge in Fishers.  

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #48 on: Mar 9th, 2011, 1:13pm »

Its three miles round trip, not four..
1.5 miles from East River road to the Genesee River bridge..walking straight down the LV mainline..

personally I dont consider that very far..but if its too much, we can cross it off the list..

The Fishers bridge, while less interesting (IMO) than the Genesee River bridge, *is* easier to get to..looks like its less than 1/4 mile from a trail parking lot..So thats a possibility!

The Fishers bridge is where the LV mainline crossed over the NYC Auburn branch, (both are now rail trails in the area of the bridge.)

Genesee River bridge is where the LV main crossed over the Genesee River and the PRR Rochester branch..which are both also now trails.
IMO, Genesee Bridge is more interesting, but yes, a longer walk to get to.
so we do need to take that into consideration..
(the trail to the Genesee River Bridge also crosses over the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville railroad! although the odds of catching a LAL train on a Saturday are pretty low..)

Scot

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2011, 1:29pm by scottychaos » Logged
rgvrr
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Mar 9th, 2011, 1:26pm »

Most important goal,,, get out of house and get people together  

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2011, 4:58pm by rgvrr » Logged
TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #50 on: Mar 9th, 2011, 10:49pm »

Scot:

I come up with 1.82 miles East River Road crossing MP 384.88 to Wadsworth MP 386.7.

Should anyone care to cross the Genesee River bridge and explore what remains of the old PRR connection the mileage would come out quite close to 4 miles.

I made the trek back in 2006 and, before that, a few times when the LVRR was still active.  

Hope you folks have a great time and that the weather proves favorable.

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #51 on: Mar 10th, 2011, 8:25am »

on Mar 9th, 2011, 10:49pm, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Scot:

I come up with 1.82 miles East River Road crossing MP 384.88 to Wadsworth MP 386.7.

Should anyone care to cross the Genesee River bridge and explore what remains of the old PRR connection the mileage would come out quite close to 4 miles.

I made the trek back in 2006 and, before that, a few times when the LVRR was still active.  

Hope you folks have a great time and that the weather proves favorable.

well..the actual junction point, MP 386.7, was west of the bridge..we wouldnt be walking out that far..but we are splitting hairs now! Its "about a three mile walk" out and back..But still, if that is simply too far, we will just have to drop it from the tour..(there is no other good way to get to the bridge..there is no good access from Scottsville Road, its all private property.)

You cant easily walk out to the actually PRR junction point anyway..its rough undeveloped land..I have never bothered to walk beyond the Greenway trail (PRR).. I doubt the actual junction is visable today anwyay, not much to see there (plus its private property)..So I was thinking just a walk to the bridge and the Greenway (PRR), to the big LV bridge abutments, but not beyond that..
(thats where my 1.5 miles measurement came from!

but..the point is probably moot anyway..sounds like some people arent interested in the walk..thats fine!   We should do what "the group" wants to do..

Scot

Kendaia1
Historian

« Reply #52 on: Mar 10th, 2011, 8:49am »

I think the walk to the bridge would be worth it- 1.5 miles each way isn't that far, especially to see something interesting like the bridge. I would not assume that everyone doesn't want to do it.

rgvrr
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Mar 10th, 2011, 9:15am »

Unless it is pouring rain it is worth the walk,,, the approach and bridge itself are huge.  The abutments for the bridge over the PRR are right on the other side. it will take at least an hour or more to do this.

I will organize a followup bike trip on the LV trail for when the weather gets better.

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #54 on: Mar 10th, 2011, 10:25am »

on Mar 10th, 2011, 8:49am, Kendaia1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I think the walk to the bridge would be worth it- 1.5 miles each way isn't that far, especially to see something interesting like the bridge. I would not assume that everyone doesn't want to do it.

I havent assumed "everyone doesnt want to do it".  
I know some people will want to..
the issue that not everyone wants to do it!
its not 100% unanamious that everyone wants to do it..

and some people might not be physically able to do it..that needs to be considered too..(although I dont know if that is the case here)..we dont want anyone to feel left out though, if they arent up to a 3 or 4 mile hike!
that can be a long way..

a few options:
If everyone on the tour *does* want to do the walk to the Genesee bridge, then no problem! but if there is a difference of opinion, we could maybe do seperate groups for that leg of the tour..
One group to the Genesee bridge, and a second to the Fishers bridge,
(which is a much shorter walk) then the whole group can rendezvous again at the RGVRRM.

just a thought..although maybe that is needlessly complicated..
the whole itenary isnt carved in stone yet either!  
John is working on asking the folks at the LVRR Historical Society if they will be open that day..so options are still open..

actually, we have too much to fit into one day!  
we cant do it all..some things are going to have to be cut.

keep the suggestions coming!  
We still have 2 weeks to hash it out..

Scot

TB_Diamond
Historian
View Profile  

My_Scans273_506x398-1-.jpg - 34310 Bytes
« Reply #55 on: Mar 10th, 2011, 10:30am »

Scot:

You are correct, the PRR/LVRR junction point has totally been erased from the face of the earth by gravel mining. However, by walking north on the old PRR one will come to the location of the switch where the ramp up to the LVRR left the PRR. A short portion of this ramp still exisits but terminates at the edge of the gravel pit.

Did not mean to nitpick but I wanted to let anyone concerned know that it was quite a walk back into the bridge location from East River Road and that the trek would eat up a fair amount of time.

Photo shows how the area appeared prior to the development of the rail trail. View to the west from the Genesee River trestle east abutment, taken on 06 October 1992.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LV/My_Scans273_506x398-1-.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Henry
Historian

« Reply #56 on: Mar 10th, 2011, 12:01pm »

Tammy managed to break a toe last week so I don't know if she'll be up to that kind of walking distance. I'd like to do it, but if she can't and doesn't want to wait at the parking area, I'll have to stay with her.  

Question, is Ryder Hill Road public access? While it looks a little rough, it is only a tad over a half mile to the bridge from there. If it isn't public, maybe we could get permission to use it. That would save a bunch of time.

Henry

rgvrr
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #57 on: Mar 10th, 2011, 12:42pm »

Interesting,, Ryder Hill goes all the way down to where the LAL goes under the LV.  Pretty sure it is on State property, not sure about public access.  

Also not sure about vehicle required to traverse. Time for recon.

mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Mar 10th, 2011, 12:55pm »

Love your pictures!! Please post more of the area!on Mar 10th, 2011, 10:30am, TB_Diamond wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Scot:

You are correct, the PRR/LVRR junction point has totally been erased from the face of the earth by gravel mining. However, by walking north on the old PRR one will come to the location of the switch where the ramp up to the LVRR left the PRR. A short portion of this ramp still exisits but terminates at the edge of the gravel pit.

Did not mean to nitpick but I wanted to let anyone concerned know that it was quite a walk back into the bridge location from East River Road and that the trek would eat up a fair amount of time.

Photo shows how the area appeared prior to the development of the rail trail. View to the west from the Genesee River trestle east abutment, taken on 06 October 1992.

ken_g
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #59 on: Mar 10th, 2011, 2:37pm »

One suggestion: break out the Gen River bridge for another meetup, possibly on bikes or just make it the main focus of a separate trip.  Besides the Lehigh, south of the PRR junction the NYC Peanut and Erie crossed the Pennsy and there are bridge abutments to see.

I've ridden my bike over there quite a bit and it's not a quick jaunt, so walking in would eat up a lot of time in my opinion.  And if it was just in and out to the Lehigh bridge, you'd miss the other two unless you come up from the South.

My first experience with that area was coming in from the East, which really showed the magnitude of the bridge.  You hit the one abutment then the ground drops, and many of the concrete "feet" are scattered around.  By the time you reach what's left of the bridge, it is amazing how high and how long the structure must've been.  (Still looking for a good picture- have only seen sections at a time.)

The Manchester roundhouse would definitely be something for folks coming from out of town to see, if they were making one trip only- as Scot pointed out who knows how long it'll be there.  It looked pretty rough last month when I visited.

Ken

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  40 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »